The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Oh, I didn't realize the director was that guy. I remembered there was some controversy about the director of Powder, but didn't know it was the same director until now.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they
Default The Omen

The Omen

This was a good film! Gregory Peck did a great job as did Lee Remick. I really felt that these were too older people who wanted a child and then had to deal with the horror that said child might be the literal son of Satan. I’d have to ask my mom for sure though… =P But, kids are hard and I'd guess almost every parent at one point thinks they're raising the anti-christ!

The theology and eschatology of the film aren’t much to talk about though… But, then no one watches horror movies to learn the details of Christianity or the End Times it imagines. But, if they did this movie would not help them.

Shocker. I do find it hard to believe they built an entire franchise on this though. But, then they do so with The Leprechaun as well!
Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default A Quiet Place

A Quiet Place

Usually, in a horror movie you’re asked to suspend your disbelief in a particular instance, say for a horde of flesh-eating zombies or a killing machine that bullets won’t stop. This instance is inserted into our regular world and then we are witness to what would happen. The people and place in which this instance are placed must be believable. The entire concept of horror would seem to break down if the world we place this instance in is just as unbelievable and also requires you to again suspend your disbelief.

This is where ‘A Quiet Place’ falls apart for me. I get it that teens are awful. Literally just the worst form of humanity. I was one at one point, so I know of what I speak. THE WORST. But! And this is important! In a world where nigh impervious killing machines have destroyed civilization and like only you, your family, and a few others are clinging on. Barely. You would not run away from home.

Also, where does all this electricity come from? If these monsters hearing is so sensitive how do they hear anything? If you’ve ever walked into a forest at night you know that it is unbelievably noisy! The bugs never shut up! The tree branches never stop rubbing and scraping against each other. How could these monsters know how to tell random noise from people or animals or anything else? How come they don’t bother this family for like a year and then in the space of ten days or so you can’t seem to go two steps without running into one of them!

I thought the concept was neat! Though not original, I am reminded of Wait Until Dark which also plays with disability in a thriller, with blindness instead of deafness. The story just kept asking me to suspend more and more disbelief. For instances that could have been avoided by better writing… That by the end I was mostly just a “meh” on this one.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Blair Witch

Blair Witch

I guess this is a reboot of the franchise as well as a direct sequel to the original 1999 film. Somehow, despite taking place in the year 2014 and being film students none of these people have ever heard of a steadicam… Yes, the remake keeps the found footage of the original but is somehow even shakier and jerkier. In order to get footage this bad you’d have to be working at it and boy does the director of this film work at it!

Other than that it seems like a beat for beat copy of the original with all sorts of weird non-sequiturs thrown in. How about there’s a bug in a wound? How about people travel through time? How about we make it dark for 48+ hours? Yes! Yes! Yes! Why? Who cares! It doesn’t have to make any sense! This is a spoopy movie! And by the time the twist comes. Of course, there is a twist! You don’t care because the whole movie leading up to it has made a bunch of random turns and this one is just another in a string.

By the time it's all over you’re just bored and slightly queasy...
Old 10-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Exorcist II: the Heretic

Exorcist II: the Heretic

It’s kind of a shock that this is the sequel to the Exorcist. While the original is a focused, tense story about the role of evil in Humanity and Modernity’s inability to deal with it… This thing is a New Age mess - ESP, magic e-meters (called a synchronizer here), mental illness as magic, ‘primitive’ people as magic, the list goes on and on.

Wait! Did I forget to mention that they also got rid of the theme song from the original? I mean WTF?! Why would you replace one of the most haunting and iconic theme songs of all time with your forgettable, synthed, cheery garbage theme? Ugh!

Back on track! So, some acolyte of the old priest from the original film, Merrin I think. The one we met in Babylon in the first film. This student of Merrin’s, Lamont, is trying to exorcize a demon from a young faith healer in South America. He fails and she ends up dying in a fire. Cut to Lamont meeting with a Cardinal who tells him that he needs someone, Lamont specifically, to quietly investigate the last exorcism of Merrin. The Church is getting nervous about all this Satan stuff. Lamont tries to get out of it but folds eventually and heads to New York to meet up with Regan MacNeil who is all better now. Though, she still has to see a psychologist.

He meets Regan and her Doctor. Both say she has no memories of what happened. But! The Doctor has some sort of hypno-gadget that allows one to see into another person’s memories. The Doctor hooks herself up to Regan and then goes into a full-blown heart attack when she sees possessed Regan spewing pea soup and spiritually warfaring with Father Merrin.

And, it was right about here when my generosity with this film began to give out. I’m not going to recap much more of the film. Needless to say, there is much talk about Pazuzu, “primitive” magic, the next stage of human evolution, ESP, and locusts.

Oh, and at no point is there the hint of tension or fear. And, two people die for no discernable reason.

But if for some strange reason, no kink-shaming here, you’ve got the desire to see a sweaty old-priest rip the heart out of a naughty Linda Blair on a shaking bed in the midst of a crumbling house covered in locusts.

Well, this movie has got you covered.

Oh, and don’t even ask about Father Dimi. As far as this movie is concerned poor soul don’t even exist. Last time I checked he was the one who exorcized Regan, not Merrin!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:06 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Friday the 13th Part II

Friday the 13th Part II

It’s Friday the 13th except this time Jason kills all the sexy teenagers. Also, the ending is really ambiguous. Legit, it could all just be a dream!

Well, except for the shrine with Jason’s mom’s head on it. That’s legit real.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Nonplussed

I haven't yet sourced Candyman, but moving on! (Man, this year is disjointed...)

Poltergeist II

This movie is not that interesting or scary or atmospheric or anything much of anything. But Julian Beck makes an appropriately creepy magical evil preacher.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Nonplussed

Hellbound: Hellraiser II

I haven't seen either of the 2 Hellraisers that I actually did see since they were originally released. I like a lot of Clive Barker's horror writing (or did back in the day when I read all 3 Books of Blood). Falsie is right: it's just a parade of blood and sadism without much else. I was kind of bored.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Nonplussed

The Omen

Hey, finally another decent movie. Mrs. Match watched this with me and we both enjoyed it (again, not new to us). Gregory Peck is great in this and really sells the premise of a family in crisis.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:08 PM
Nonplussed

Blair Witch (2016)

I watched this last year and didn't rewatch it for this. As I noted in last year's write-ups, I really found the original affecting. So much so that I was actually afraid to rewatch it for a long time. This one is fine. It has one really great bit (when the tent rockets off the ground out of the shot) and some creepy atmosphere to go along with some stupid, obnoxious people.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Nonplussed

The Exorcist 2: The Heretic

Holy shit this movie is bad and dumb and also bad. Plus, it's dumb. I honestly considered turning it off at least 3 times while I was watching it. The performances are all over the place, there's no tension, and little coherence.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM
till the sheriff stops by

John Boorman is an... eclectic director. I do highly recommend Excalibur, though, if you haven't seen it yet. Still haven't watched Deliverance (though I did read the book).
Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM
Nonplussed

A Quiet Place

I saw this in the theater when it came out. I really liked it, but I can't necessarily refute any of Falsie's comments. Maybe it's because I'm a huge Emily Blunt fan. It might also be that it works better in a darkened theater, because of how quiet the whole thing is even with 50 other people watching with you. I thought I read that they were considering a sequel, which seems like a bad idea all around.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
John Boorman is an... eclectic director. I do highly recommend Excalibur, though, if you haven't seen it yet. Still haven't watched Deliverance (though I did read the book).
He is. Excalibur is quite a thing. I loved it back in the day, but when I rewatched it about 10 years ago, it didn't work for me quite as much. It looks great and there are some very good performances.

I'm travelling this week, so I was able to catch up a bit, but I didn't have a ton of free time. There will probably be a few days gap before I can get back into the swing of things here. I'm interested to hear what Falsie has to say about the next few (I've seen all of them up to, but not including Martin).
Old 10-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
He is. Excalibur is quite a thing. I loved it back in the day, but when I rewatched it about 10 years ago, it didn't work for me quite as much. It looks great and there are some very good performances.
Nicol Williamson has yet to be unseated as the greatest Merlin in cinematic history.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Insidious

Insidious

The build-up in this movie is really good! It’s slow and steady. Building up until I was at the edge of my seat. Until the last half of the film pisses it all the way on hokey explanations and a soundstage covered in dry ice fog and shot through a blue filter.

The story is of Josh and Renai, a young couple with three children who have just moved into a new home. Their oldest, Dalton, falls in the attic and then doesn’t wake up. Then strange things start to happen. This is the best part of the film. There are some really tense moments, even when they’re punctuated with the typical jump scares of the genre. If this had continued I’d think I’d have a lot more good things to say.

But, this movie falls into the “expositioning away the horror” trap. The house isn’t haunted. And young Dalton isn’t in a coma. He astrally projected and got trapped in another dimension and now the dead and damned are trying to use his body to enter our world. The kid himself is haunted. Oh, and there’s the twist ending you see coming a mile away. Horror movies aren’t anything if they aren’t franchises! (this one has three sequels!)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Horror movies aren’t anything if they aren’t franchises! (this one has three sequels!)
Thinking up multiple new ideas is for suckers. Just think of one new (or newish) idea and then run that shit into the ground until it hits the Earth's core.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:07 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
It’s weird when you watch a movie with no color correction and maybe even shot on actual film these days. It looks positively old-fashioned. You forget that there are things such as natural lighting and entire ranges of the color green!
Apparently, it was shot in 24fps digital video.

Session 9

I'd been hearing about this movie for quite a while, but had never gotten around to watching it. It didn't go anything like I thought it was going to plus it had David Caruso, which I didn't realize was a thing, either. All my incredulity aside, this was pretty good. I actually liked that it wasn't just blindly following the template of "insane asylum claims more victims" that I thought it was going to, especially that a ton of the movie actually takes place in daylight.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Apparently, it was shot in 24fps digital video.
Egg on my face!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Yeah. Session 9 does have a lot of daylight stuff. Which kinda makes the non daylight stuff more creepy.

I guess I'd call the film a gem. It won't make you a fortune, but it's still pretty special.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Wicker Man

The Wicker Man

A cop shows up on an island in the Hebrides (the island chain west of Scotland) looking for a lost girl. The girl was reported missing in an anonymous letter sent directly to the policemen. No one on the island though will admit to even knowing about the missing girl or any missing child for that matter.

Also, everyone on this island is a filthy pagan who can't wait to get a room and do the deed. And, our cop friend is not having it. As a good Christian, he is quite uncomfortable with it all. Freelove? Not for him. Folk magic? Hard pass.

So what do? First be a party pooper. Next, illegally search every place on the island. Then, knock out a citizen, steal his costume and sneak into the religious rites. Lastly, be sacrificed to pagan gods in order to ensure a good harvest. Not how I'd want to go. But, you do you copper.

This was a good film. The premise is interesting, the rising stress and anger of the cop are believable. Edward Woodward, the actor playing the cop, makes it all very tangible. The actors playing the villagers sell their roles as well. Their paganism seems very real.

That ending though... Good movie.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:16 PM
Nonplussed

Friday the 13th Part II

I remembered this as being the best overall of the movies in the franchise that I'd seen (which is maybe about half of them). Rewatching it confirmed that at least for those that I've recently (re)watched. It's very tight and isn't yet just going down the path of spectacle kills (not that that isn't "fun" sometimes). The final sequence is well staged and Amy Steel is a great final girl, especially when she puts on Jason's dead mother's sweater and impersonates her to get Jason to drop his guard. It almost worked!

Agreed that the ending is ambiguous (in about 2 or 3 different ways) and it opens the door for the follow-ups where Jason becomes just a killing machine.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary’s Baby

This was a great film! The only horrifying thing about it is the rape scene. Which is never shown but called out explicitly by Rosemary. The tension and paranoia are masterfully built up. In the end, I was right there with Rosemary knowing that something was very, very wrong. But, also knowing that no one would believe me.

The irony that this is a movie where a woman is raped and then everyone around her, including her husband and those in positions of authority gaslight her and outright deny it and was written and directed by Roman Polanski is not lost on me. Write what you know, huh, Roman?

That is what I found most horrifying about this one.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:05 PM
Nonplussed

Insidious

Falsie is spot on. I saw this a couple of years ago and felt exactly the same. It has a ton of great atmosphere and tension right up until they go into The Further and then it pisses it all away. I still like it overall, but the last 20 minutes or so are such a let down after everything that comes before.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Insidious

Falsie is spot on. I saw this a couple of years ago and felt exactly the same. It has a ton of great atmosphere and tension right up until they go into The Further and then it pisses it all away. I still like it overall, but the last 20 minutes or so are such a let down after everything that comes before.
Yeah, it was such a good flick up until that moment.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:16 PM
Nonplussed

For those following along: we're adjusting the list, because we picked some things that aren't readily available. Updates coming once we work it out.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Ugh Rosemary's Baby is so boring and bad and everyone I know loves it. She's all shocked that the doctor is in on it, even though she already knows all the people that referred her to the doctor were in on it. I really needed her to go Lt. Ellen Ripley at the end and get her child back, but no. She fucking just walks in and drops her weapon and acts pitiful some more while every other actor does maybe the worst stage laughter you've ever heard.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Evil Dead (2013)

Evil Dead (2013)

I had bad feelings about this movie within the first five minutes. It lacks any of the charms of the original or humor of any of its sequels. Nothing the characters do makes sense and the movie fails to follow even its own rules.

It does seem to take a great deal of delight in torturing the characters on-screen. Nothing but gore for gore’s sake it seems.

Also, they kill a dog for no reason. Pure emotional manipulation.

A real disappointment.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Nonplussed

Candyman

I hadn't seen this in over 10 years. It's still got a punch. Great performance by Virginia Madsen (no, you're not the only person who was thinking of Gillian Anderson, Falsie). The vibe is very gothic, especially due to the score.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Nonplussed

Final Destination 2

I saw and enjoyed the first when it came out, but never got around to seeing any of the others for no particular reason. I used the loose theme for this year to motivate me to watch another entry. It delivers on the premise/schtick in that it creates byzantine situations to kill off those that cheated death. I don't recall whether the first movie did this or not, but in this one a number of times they built multiple things into a scene that could be the cause of the person's demise and let tension build up as you wonder which of the options will actually make it happen. I laughed a few times at the audacity/ridiculousness of the situations. Goofy fun provided you can deal with the blood and gore.

Tags
falselogic likes to watch , halloween