The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-22-2018, 11:23 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

you're making me want to replay rudra now

good job
Old 07-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Fifth Business

Been making more progress in Rudras, but found myself in the mood to take a non-Rudra-filled Super Famicom RPG for a spin earlier tonight, so tried Eternal Filena, knowing nothing about it, which is always fun.

And whoah.

Whoooaaaah.

Game needs conversations about it, fascinating game with major shortcomings but plenty of heart, a genuinely impressive commitment to its story and themes, and some very strong queer undertones that might become overtones later on. I'll probably have more to say about it later, but too sleepy right now from STAYING UP PLAYING ETERNAL FILENA

Engaging high drama story to this one, it got me good so far! Where will things go from here? And will Filena and Lila cement themselves as THE ultimate JRPG Power Couple?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:25 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Eternal Filena rules. It's based on a series of light novels spanning from the mid-'80s to the mid-'90s, all illustrated by the incomparable Akemi Takada, who's a character designer on a huge number of anime properties, most notably Patlabor, Kimagure Orange Road, Creamy Mami and a bunch of Rumiko Takahashi adaptations. She's a complete legend.

Also yes, it's a very queer game and series.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Fifth Business

It DOES rule, and it probably wouldn't have been one of the games I put on my Classic if not for your recommendation, so thanks for that!

I've kept on with it, still having a grand old time, and flawed though it is, it's also GOOD enough in ways, and just has such a unique force of personality, that I'm surprised it doesn't seem to have even a minor cult following in the west...it just SEEMS like a game which should have a cult following.

Tags
rpg , snes