The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Salt & Sanctuary - 2D Souls

This game has been popping up on my radar and it looks like it might be worth it's... ahem. Well. For PS4 and Vita and set to release this year, Salt and Sanctuary is pretty explicitly a side scrolling Dark Souls. It's got all the same mechanics: light attack, heavy attack, stamina, roll, guard break, death mechanics, etc. It even mimics the UI.

It's got a nice washed out aesthetic. Bleak but combined with that indy cartoony look. The violence is bit middle school (enemies explode in giant clouds of blood, lots of corpses hanging about) but whatever. Looks like it understands the Souls experience pretty thoroughly. Here's VaatiVidya singing it's praises.

If things pan out, I might buy a Vita for this. I've been wanting a handheld Dark Souls type game since forever and a well-made copycat that, you know, gets it is just what the doctor ordered.*

*Doctors actually recommend you limit your sodium intake. Don't eat salt.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:12 AM
poisonous thread snake

Looks cool, but those player character designs look like they were culled from a high schooler's DeviantArt account.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Hey, I have a Vita and I like Dark Souls!

I wonder how much influence it will take from the Igavania games. Dark Souls is often called a 3D Castlevania, so that seems like the logical place to go for making a 2D version.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

The devblog says this won't be Sony exclusive forever:

Quote:
Update: For those of you worried, this is a launch exclusivity, not forever.
Interesting that this is by the I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1NIT!!!1 and The Dishwasher people.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Oh word?

As someone who's followed these guys and bought Charlie Murder day 1 I was a little bummed out about the platform jump~

They do good work, yeah the designs are a little odd but I like the uniqueness of it.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

To clarify: On the comments of the same page, it says like it's definitely coming to PC on Steam (including Mac/Linux, according to their FAQ), but there are currently technical obstacles to putting it on the X-Bone.

Quote:
Xbox One does not support .NET which we need to develop for it.

Salt and Sanctuary will be releasing on Steam at a later date and we are still working on VS on Steam. We were big Xbox fans and still are friends with people over at MS but this made the most business sense. It’s not personal or done to intentionally screw Xbox fans over, it’s done because it is the only way we can keep developing games for the next generation. If you want us to develop on Xbox One, talk to them about that .NET support.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 AM

I, too, pine for some Souls on the go. But, when considering flattening the experience to 2D, does side-scrolling or top-down lend itself better? It depends, of course, but in pondering this question the other day I stumbled upon a video of a top-down DS mod:

And then there's DarkMaus, which the dev intends to ship sometime this year.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:58 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I, too, pine for some Souls on the go. But, when considering flattening the experience to 2D, does side-scrolling or top-down lend itself better? It depends, of course, but in pondering this question the other day I stumbled upon a video of a top-down DS mod:

And then there's DarkMaus, which the dev intends to ship sometime this year.
Wow, that is gorgeous. I would love to play from that perspective if they were able to work out the camera glitches and get the HUD to show up.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:02 PM

This game looks like something I'd enjoy playing but I am worried that Dark Souls has inspired so many cover bands to perform in its place. I was onboard with Souls-style gameplay since Demon's Souls predecessor, King's Field: The Ancient City. After Dark Souls II and Lords of the Fallen, I'm starting to feel like we're reaching diminishing returns as people (even the original studio themselves) understand less and less what makes these experiences tick and how to push the boundaries rather than copy the details wholesale. Holding onto hope for Bloodborne~

Not to be a Debbie Downer because this does look good and transitioning the gameplay style and world to 2D is a legitimate innovation.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Xbox One does not support .NET which we need to develop for it.
Does not compute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Wow, that is gorgeous. I would love to play from that perspective if they were able to work out the camera glitches and get the HUD to show up.
For real! Literally puts a new perspective on those boss fights and is fun to watch.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Kiiiryu-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
those player character designs look like they were culled from a high schooler's DeviantArt account.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:06 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooohhhh.

Definitely keeping tabs on this now. I'll be holding off since DS3 comes out in April, but once I've played that out I'll absolutely be looking into this.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Chief Servbot

Man, I just have to say it -- this is the ugliest goddamn game I've ever seen

I'll be waiting on others impressions before biting on this -- especially since the other 2D Souls-like coming out has more of my interest.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:15 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

How has this thread gotten this far without anyone mentioning Eitr?

That game looks potentially fun but the weird filter they put on it to make it look extra washed out kinda hurts me eyes a bit? That and the general tone that trailer goes for and the gameplay mechanics they show off rub me the wrong way. Hard pass but I hope it does well because more Souls-likes is a good thing.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

I played this at GDC last year. I didn't get to play more than ten minutes or so, but my initial impression was that the stiffer, more deliberate mechanics of the Souls series just didn't feel very good in 2D.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I mean, if you're going to make a 2D Souls game, why not just make a new Castlevania-game with the serial numbers filed off....oh, right.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Played it for a bit yesterday (just up to a little past the first boss) and I likes what I've seen so far. Making Dark Souls a bit more transparent in its similarities to Castlevania results in a game I very much want to play. Prefer the way Souls handles bloodstains, but that's more of a personal preference then a flaw.

Biggest problem I have is with the visuals, really; tiny, scribbley monsters all look kind of same-y and blend in enough with the scenery well enough that I often don't realize they're there until they've already started cleaving off my head.

Also, boy is the game calling out for a map. It was okay to not have one in Souls, since each area was pretty extensively multi-tiered and looked pretty distinct. That doesn't work as well in a side-scroller.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 AM
The Great

I'll probably get this on a Steam sale eventually. I kind of hate the weird muppet heads though.

EDIT: Also, they apparently machine-translated all the non-English versions and the language is locked to the PS4's region. So fair warning!

Last edited by SpoonyGundam; 03-17-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
machine-translated

language is locked to the PS4's region
uhhhgghhh

obviously i'd be playing it in english, but what kind of asshole does this?

can angry Real Gamers please start directing their Localization Harassment energy* to games that machine translate and then force you to use the inevitably incomprehensible machine translation, even though English is a lingua franca basically everywhere?

(*no, i don't want this to actually happen--please do not harass developers)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:07 AM
The Great

It's mostly just ignorance. There was a stream where the developers talked about it and the thought process was "Google's smart, right? So this is probably good," and "This French translation checks out with my memory of high school French, so the rest is probably okay too." Probably tempered by the idea that a bad translation is better than no translation, but machine translations are on a whole different level of bad than what they were probably imagining. I read a post from a German guy saying the game was completely unplayable because ~80% of skill and item descriptions were indecipherable.

They're planning on patching in an option to switch languages ingame eventually, but who knows how long that'll take.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

"surely google translate, which is barely adequate for basic conversational speech, can accurately translate the unique phrasing we just made up like a few months ago to describe our game systems and in-game fiction, right?"

wow
Old 03-17-2016, 04:12 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
EDIT: Also, they apparently machine-translated all the non-English versions and the language is locked to the PS4's region. So fair warning!
I can appreciate the cost they'd probably have to endure to get this reliably translated into the target languages, but this is still a really big record-scratch moment. I'm kind of unsold now...
Old 03-17-2016, 04:20 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I mean, if the game is fun it's still fun, as long as you have an English language region PS4.

It mostly just makes me frustrated after years of people asking me to "check" (re-translate from scratch) "their" (Google translate's) "translations" (machine garbled gibberish).

But the game sounds fun, that bizarre decision aside.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

From what he played so far, there hasn't been enough text that it being rendered as gibberish would be much of an impediment.

Though I'm also the sort that tends to skip over flavour text in games.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:43 PM
hang high, soft star

Where the hell do I get Amber Idols?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

EDITED BECAUSE TOO SALTY:

I think this game doesn't look very good, and I am amused by the google translate botch.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Good Bee

I saw Polygon's video gameplay preview of the game and I thought it looked delightful, and I don't care about the localization mistake because I'm waiting for it to be $5 on Steam anyway.

I really love the idea behind how they balanced magic; you can cast as many spells as you want, but doing so reduces your maximum stamina with each cast (until you rest at a bonfire^W sanctuary), so the more you cast the less you can block/dodge. Seems like a really clever idea!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 PM

I started last night and man am I having fun. I started with a simple fighter, since that seemed like a good choice: sword, shield, and heavy armor. But the more I play it, the more I'm leaining towards a dex based fighter. And I'm loving that I can totally do this!

I'll admit that the first boss proceeded to completely whoop my ass several times. Ok, many times. Many, many times. That sodden asshole. But damn did I feel great when I finally beat him!

What's interesting is how little things are explained. It's a bit odd what with today's design obsession with holding your hand every few steps. If I keep liking this...I might have to get Dark Souls/Bloodborne.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcalan View Post
I started last night and man am I having fun. I started with a simple fighter, since that seemed like a good choice: sword, shield, and heavy armor. But the more I play it, the more I'm leaining towards a dex based fighter. And I'm loving that I can totally do this!

I'll admit that the first boss proceeded to completely whoop my ass several times. Ok, many times. Many, many times. That sodden asshole. But damn did I feel great when I finally beat him!

What's interesting is how little things are explained. It's a bit odd what with today's design obsession with holding your hand every few steps. If I keep liking this...I might have to get Dark Souls/Bloodborne.
Yeah, everything you wrote appears several times in the dark souls thread as folks pick it up for the first time.

I'll definitely pick this up at some point. Bit behind on the backlog at the moment and Dark Souls 3 will be out before I know it.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Phantastic Oil

This just hit Steam, and I just lost 4-5 hours to it. I really like it!

That's... that's it. Move along.