The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Cynical Pessimist

Default Tokusatsu: It's Not Just Power Rangers Anymore!

Hello all! Considering how my last attempt to create a Kamen Rider thread many months ago failed miserably, and the only thread where you could post about Japanese Tokusatsu was ostensibly more about Power Rangers and hasn't been very active besides, I've decided to try again to get a general Toku thread up and running in the hope that I can entice those of you who have never before been interested in giving it a try.

What is Tokusatsu you ask? Basically, it's guys in rubber monster costumes and/or guys in spandex and motorcycle helmets beating the crap out of each other until someone explodes.

For an explanation that actually makes sense, I've got some links to a few episodes of Geek Crash Course that will help you out.
Tokusatsu Overview:http://blip.tv/geekcrashcourse/tokus...se-031-5924687
Kamen Rider:http://blip.tv/geekcrashcourse/kamen...se-032-5941888
Super Sentai:http://blip.tv/geekcrashcourse/super...course-5958670
Godzilla:http://blip.tv/geekcrashcourse/godzi...course-5974744
Ultraman:http://blip.tv/geekcrashcourse/ultra...course-6283436

They've also got some pretty decent recommendations on what you should start with if you want to get into watching some Tokusatsu. My personal recommendations are Kamen Rider Double, Super Sentai's Shinkenger, and --if you want a more mature story-- Garo.

For those of you who have already taken the trip down the rabbit hole, or would like to start you journey with the most recent show to come out, and have been looking forward to the latest in the Kamen Rider franchise, I've got good news! This last Sunday, Over-Time uploaded the first episode of Kamen Rider Wizard subtitled! For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I'll include a link to their blog post with download links:http://over-ti.me/releases/kamen-rider-wizard-01/

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to tell you how to find this stuff! If you need some help finding subtitled Tokusatsu shows, the translation groups TV-Nihon and Over-Time are pretty decent for finding subtitles of recent shows. However if you're more interested in direct downloads of individual episodes and more obscure/older shows, KRDL is probably the best place; they've got practically everything there is to find on the net Tokusatsu related.

Last edited by Terthna; 02-08-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Conquers the World

I started a Kaiju thread awhile ago but it kinda died, maybe having a more inclusive place to talk about it will help!

I sort of rediscovered my love of Godzilla movies during my last year of college and started watching them again, and started branching out into some non-Godzilla kaiju. I finally got around to watching Shusuke Kaneko's Gamera trilogy, which is absolutely amazing, especially the third one, the Revenge of Iris. I highly recommend picking up the blu-ray boxset, which is super cheap. Kaneko also directed one of the post-2000 era Godzilla movies, and it's easily one of the best Godzilla movies ever made, and frankly the only one from the 2000 series worth watching except maybe the two Mechagodzilla ones. It's called Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.

And I guess if I'm directing people to DVDs I might as well point out that the original Godzilla recently got a Criterion release!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 PM
the :motion: stands

I had the damndest time figuring out what the hell Power Rangers had to do with tonkatsu.

I'm hungry now, you jerk.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Cynical Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I had the damndest time figuring out what the hell Power Rangers had to do with tonkatsu.

I'm hungry now, you jerk.
I'm sorry.

Would you like a hamburger?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 AM

There were lots of Tokusatsu tv shows in my country during the early and mid-90s; not only the obvious ones like KR, Ultraman, and sentai, but also more obscure stuff like Jiban and Winspector (basically, Japanese Robocops).

I'm most fond of KR, I think. KR Black/RX was my childhood (along with other TV favorites like Ultraman, Doraemon, and some local puppet show). In early 2000s, I also religiously watched some KR shows: Kuuga got an endearing protagonist (and a theme song that I can still sing at this very moment), Ryuuki's Highlander-esque premise hooked me from the very start, and Faiz has what I considered the darkest and deepest plot out of any KR shows I've watched. Then...erm, I guess my interest shifted elsewhere. Plus, the TV don't air the latest ones anymore =(

I may want to check out one of these recent KRs. What's the best one in the last decade?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:10 AM
I say thee neigh

remember a vote for over-time is a vote for a fellow TT person

alsonotshittranslations
Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Cynical Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I may want to check out one of these recent KRs. What's the best one in the last decade?
Probably Kamen Rider Double; It's got this whole private detective theme going, and Double himself is actually two people transformed into a single Kamen Rider. Also, it's solo movie is one of the best Kamen Rider movies ever.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

Now I really want to watch some Kamen Rider.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Space Prez

I think Decade is also a pretty good place to start. Good introduction to the Heisei era with some Showa surprises at the end. Likable cast with good chemistry and it's short, only 31 episodes. It's movie, All Riders Vs Dai Shocker, is arguably one of the best tokasatsu movies period. Hell, if only have 90 minutes to try some KR, that's the one to go to. However, if you are of a particular age group whose nostalgia bone would be tickled by a perfect little slice of 1987? Always bet on Black.

I saw Wizard last night. Somebody at Toei must have heard that the magic word is "please" and ran with it. Not really impressed, the ring gimmick got old quickly. It's not a good sign when they start right off the bat with so many form changes. But I did like the part where he shrinks himself to ride a tiny robot unicorn. So maybe I'll give it a few episodes.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Cynical Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
I think Decade is also a pretty good place to start. Good introduction to the Heisei era with some Showa surprises at the end. Likable cast with good chemistry and it's short, only 31 episodes. It's movie, All Riders Vs Dai Shocker, is arguably one of the best tokasatsu movies period. Hell, if only have 90 minutes to try some KR, that's the one to go to.
Decade is okay, but the multiple plot holes, pacing issues, and later retcons kinda ruin it for me. As for the movie, pretty much anything directed by Koichi Sakamoto blows the Decade movie completely out of the water quality wise.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Space Prez

Ultraseven is being released by Shout Factory in December!
Cousin Larry Appleton, let us do the dance of joy!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM
heh

I'm not sure I could watch 50 episodes of a late 60s tokusatsu, but I may buy that for the pure novelty factor.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Going On An Odyssey

Ultraseven's supposed to be one of the better Ultraman series, right? At least he's certainly one of the most referenced.

Anyway, I wasn't sure whether to put this in one of the Nintendo Power threads or here, but I think I may find more likeminded folks here. The only pre-2000 issue of Nintendo Power I ever owned was an early '95 issue spotlighting Kirby's Dream Land 2. Video games and reading were my two favorite childhood hobbies, so I'm not exactly sure how I never came to possess another issue before I became a teenager. I don't think I quite understood what periodicals were, and I think my parents did their best to conceal the existence of other issues from me. Given how much I obsessed over this one, I can't entirely blame them.

Anyway, the relevant point is that it had a preview of a Godzilla fighting game for the SNES. I didn't even know this would be in the issue; it was just an amazing surprise. Unfortunately, the game's U.S. release was canceled at the last minute, and I had no way of knowing about it for years. I (forced my parents to) searched for that game for months before giving up (and still kept an eye out for it afterward). Retailers had no idea what I was talking about. I'd bring the magazine, show them the article, and they'd kinda shrug. I binged on Primal Rage and tried to convince myself it was good enough.

I eventually got to play the game at a convention when I was in high school. It's a Street Fighter 2 clone, but a solid one. The kaiju are well represented and all the appropriate attacks and cries are present. I went on a streak of victories with Anguirus, and that's about all eight-year-old me could ask for.

Weirdly, the Turbo CD version did come out in the U.S., but of course I'd never even heard of the system back then. The CD version had a larger roster and some neat features. You could only play as Godzilla in single-player mode, but his appearance altered to match the foe/setting. So you'd fight Ghidorah on Planet X as the mid-'60s Godzilla, or Gigan as '70s Godzilla with Ghidorah and Anguirus visible in the background. But the Super Famicom had a few exclusive characters of its own and let you play anyone in single player.

So yeah, good kaiju games are a rare thing, but they were the best until the Atari-made games came along, and are still up there.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Metroid View Post
Ultraseven's supposed to be one of the better Ultraman series, right? At least he's certainly one of the most referenced.
Seven is a total badass. If you are even mildly curious about Ultraman, check it out.

In other news, we have a winnaaaaa....
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM

I can watch old-school toku just fine, but man the modern stuff leaves me cold. Too much glitz and plastic, not enough goofy camp.

Not that I think I could marathon old-school toku either, but once a week, I could probably do that. I can barely stand to watch modern stuff when it shows up on OH. It's just...boring.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Space Prez

Now, don't get the wrong idea!
He's just helping that monster get over the skyscraper.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Cynical Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsDragon View Post
I can watch old-school toku just fine, but man the modern stuff leaves me cold. Too much glitz and plastic, not enough goofy camp.

Not that I think I could marathon old-school toku either, but once a week, I could probably do that. I can barely stand to watch modern stuff when it shows up on OH. It's just...boring.
What kind of older toku have you seen? Personally all I've managed to get through in terms of the older stuff is Kamen Rider Black, and I'm currently going through Jetman and the original Kamen Rider.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Space Prez

I just finished the Tiga-Dyna-Gaia movie that was shown on Ultraman Retsuden. It's about a boy in the our IRL regular real world who finds a magic ball and summons an Ultraman. For plot purposes they are treated as separate universes but this kid basically wishes Ultraman out of his TV set. The kids in it are all super cute. I want to try and track down the R1 release.

Also, the surprise villain for Ultra Zero Fight is Belial. Duh.

I dare anyone to make sense of what I just wrote.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 PM
2深い4君

I just watched the first episode of Sun Vulcan. These guys have my favorite helmet designs ever.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 PM
The King of Swords

I'm still sort of amazed that Tokusatsu isn't a bigger thing here in the West. We've had one Ultraman and 2 Kamen Riders I think. Which surprises me. I thought a show like Decade or the like would have universal appeal.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Space Prez

Default Re: Tokusatsu: It's Not Just Power Rangers Anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawly Likes to Brawl View Post
I just watched the first episode of Sun Vulcan. These guys have my favorite helmet designs ever.
Also one of the best theme songs. I don't watch sentai often, but when I do, I make it Sun Vulcan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKing View Post
I'm still sort of amazed that Tokusatsu isn't a bigger thing here in the West. We've had one Ultraman and 2 Kamen Riders I think. Which surprises me. I thought a show like Decade or the like would have universal appeal.
Ultraman was dubbed, Ultraseven was dubbed twice, Tiga was dubbed and there have been three other original English language productions. Maybe more. Every few weeks I discover something else. (Kamen Rider also had a Sega CD game that came out in the U.S.)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Too Much TV Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKing View Post
Simply put, Masked Rider did terribly. Saban is trying to revive the brand again (and will probably use Decade/OOO to start off), but based on what they're doing with PR Samurai/Megaforce, signs point to sadness.

Speaking on Megaforce, clips I've been seeing make it seem like a giant goddamn mess. The show is going to be a mix of Goseiger/Gokaiger, features a badly-edited version of the Legend War in hopes of keeping the pre-Zyuranger suits out of the show and Goseiger is bad source material to begin with.

Go-Busters ends next week. The show had a rough start but really became something special at the end. It was dark at the right times and Enter was a fantastic villain that wasn't just cannon fodder for the heroes. Sadly, signs show Kyoryuger will simply ditch most of that and just be "safe" and wacky. Dinosaurs! You like those, don't you? Sentai needs a kick in the pants so badly.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Space Prez

Megaforce isn't that bad. I actually appreciate the effort they put into adapting Power Rangers. If you didn't like it before, you're not going to start liking it or anything. But I think Saban's done a fine job since getting the franchise back.

I also like seeing the pre-PR teams sneak in, it's like a something extra for the fans that know.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Cynical Pessimist

Personally I don't plan on checking out Megaforce. I saw an episode of Samurai and quite honestly, it just felt too shallow and forced for my tastes. Besides, I've still got nearly thirty Super Sentai shows to catch up on, not to mention the Showa era Kamen Riders, so it's not like I've got the time to check it out.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terthna View Post
Personally I don't plan on checking out Megaforce. I saw an episode of Samurai and quite honestly, it just felt too shallow and forced for my tastes. Besides, I've still got nearly thirty Super Sentai shows to catch up on, not to mention the Showa era Kamen Riders, so it's not like I've got the time to check it out.
Megaforce at least has the benefit of being its own thing with original scripts and everything, and not what amounts to a super-stilted fan translation of a Shinkenger script like Samurai was. (Put it this way: the Samurai scripts were so close that they actually had to credit the Shinkenger scriptwriter on every Samurai episode.) One episode in, Megaforce has potential, and none of the characters are as astoundingly dull as the Samurai Rangers were. Except maybe Red.

Last edited by RAC; 02-07-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Commas are important, guys.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:54 PM
The King of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Megaforce at least has the benefit of being its own thing with original scripts and everything, and not what amounts to a super-stilted fan translation of a Shinkenger script like Samurai was. (Put it this way: the Samurai scripts were so close that they actually had to credit the Shinkenger scriptwriter on every Samurai episode.) One episode in, Megaforce has potential, and none of the characters are as astoundingly dull as the Samurai Rangers were. Except maybe Red.
Megaforce just feels like a modern Mighty Morphin' clone. The first episode felt almost exactly like "Day of the Dumpster." I know that it's the anniversary show but...that still rings sour.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Kyoryuger's first episode was pretty cool. If the show can keep up the fun vibe then we should be in for a good year.

However recent comments from the head producer have me peeved. Just let Sanjo and Sakamoto work their magic and don't meddle with the show thank you.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Cynical Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatum View Post
Kyoryuger's first episode was pretty cool. If the show can keep up the fun vibe then we should be in for a good year.

However recent comments from the head producer have me peeved. Just let Sanjo and Sakamoto work their magic and don't meddle with the show thank you.
Yeah... I'm just going to pretend that there was some sort of translation error, and he did not actually say that.

In any event, I've seen the episode too and it's surprisingly good considering my worries during the buildup to its airing.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, I'd honestly just point at Zyuranger (what MMPM was based on for the first seasons) and go "WTF?"
Old 05-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Cynical Pessimist

Apparently Indonesia is getting into the henshin-hero Toku business: http://risingsuntokusatsu.com/?p=8599

I've never really seen anything from Indonesia; I hope someone translates this because I'd love to see how their culture influences a show like this.

Tags
aye-yi-yi-yi-yi , henshin , shun toku satsu