The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Come, noble knights!

Take my advice: Activate the Wait mode option, and never look back. Being able to pause the game when not moving lets you get a lot more strategic.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 PM
TARANTUL

You only need to hold down a button to attack.

Stasis means you're out of MP. Warp-strike someplace out of reach and it'll come back fast.

Dodging is also automatic as long as you hold the button, blocking requires specific timing but opens the enemy up to a link-strike counter.

More than 2 enemies is always pure chaos. I played the entire game on active and spent a lot of time rolling away from combat so I could get a better view on it, it's mostly the camera's fault IMHO.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:46 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Episode Ignis comes out December 13th and features guest composer Yasanori Mitsuda.
Finally, a cooking simulator scored by a full orchestra.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Take my advice: Activate the Wait mode option, and never look back. Being able to pause the game when not moving lets you get a lot more strategic.
I’ll give it a try. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:29 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I couldn't do wait mode, personally, because it made every fight take forever and I didn't want to be in battles any longer than necessary.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:06 AM
120 Days

It feels to me that the "system" such as it is, is just shoe horned in. I sort of wonder why it couldnt work like Dragon Age Inq. Like it feels overly complex, yet braindead.

Like I activate the other guys' super moves, and they have suck a long wind up that it feels like I have no input. It's just really weird, terrible.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:25 AM

It gets much better like, 20-25 hours in (if you're focused) when you get a "hold attack to win" item. I went back and broke a bunch of quests that I was supposed to do before getting it after.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 AM
does the Underpants Dance

The combat was the biggest reason I didn't give this game a chance. After playing all of the demos and hearing impressions from this place, it still sounds like garbage.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:11 AM
120 Days

Why is it so high regarded? Like, production values are nice I guess. Like apples oranges and shit, but people skinny dumped all over Mass Effect A, but it is like 100x more together than this game.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:27 AM

Because it sucked less than XIII? I mean, I found the characters pretty charming but it was hard as hell to care about the rest of the story when it seems like they fast-forward through the lead-up bits (Kingsglaive is required watching to have *any* clue), wander around with no story 10+ hours, then you go through the final acts rapid-fire. I could give a shit less about Lunafreya because she might as well not have been in the game at all for how much screen time she gets.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Why is it so high regarded?
I can only speak for myself. When I played it, I felt happy. Some of he characterization methods were unique within the medium, and I was impressed by that. Turning typical open-world verbs (gather, cook, photo-mode) into character traits for your party members is brilliant. I thought the combat was fun, and I was good at it.

Try to slow down and take it in as a whole, on it's own terms, instead of the criteria of Videogame as Violence Simulator and you might find more to like.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I couldn't do wait mode, personally, because it made every fight take forever and I didn't want to be in battles any longer than necessary.
Wait mode lets you get your bearings. It only activates when you stop moving and it's useful when you want to warp strike a specific body part, fry a group with magic, use an ability, check weaknesses, or take five and heal up.

Also it's got its own perk chart to grant additional bonuses.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:48 AM
TARANTUL

I didn't enjoy combat until the cave with the Zoidbergs at the end. Took that long for combat to really click, at which point I had a good enough handle to have some fun with it.

The world is great and weird and huge. The characters are shallow but the time you spend with them makes them really endearing and likeable. The linear back half didn't bother me at all, though there was some unexplored potential there.

A few of the bosses had too much damn HP but that's really my only complaint.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 AM

Default Didn't watch Kingsglaive at all

Here are the things I liked about 15 in no order:

1.) Battle system - Either this is going to work for you or it's not. Noctis is very mobile. I recommend the Controller C scheme because it moves Attack and Guard to the shoulder buttons. Otherwise you are dealing with too many face buttons. I also recommend getting Blink and "reduce MP use during phasing" skills.
2.) Camaraderie between the party members.
3.) Fishing
4.) The bonus dungeon - I entered another mental state either due to the mind-bending design, or the fact that I was in there for five hours straight.
5.) Traversing the Open World™ by chocobo and car.
6.) Quote from Yoko Taro, "their incomprehensible passion towards food and beverage."
7.) Going through my photo album. More games should have automatic screenshots.
8.) More Final Fantasy
Old 10-31-2017, 11:34 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I can only speak for myself. When I played it, I felt happy. Some of he characterization methods were unique within the medium, and I was impressed by that. Turning typical open-world verbs (gather, cook, photo-mode) into character traits for your party members is brilliant. I thought the combat was fun, and I was good at it.

Try to slow down and take it in as a whole, on it's own terms, instead of the criteria of Videogame as Violence Simulator and you might find more to like.
Oh i get this. There is something compelling here, but you have to admit, there is a lot of combat in this game, so I can't help but feel annoyed when it works so poorly.

As for the characters - they are ok? My fave detail is that they are walking around like they are in Dir En Grey, but any unnamed NPC looks like a regular human. That makes me laugh. The world is beautiful, but... something weird and sterile here. and it feels barley held together. Like, i'm still playing, but.......
Old 10-31-2017, 02:03 PM

FF15 has a lot of rough edges, but the way it captured the universal essence of going on a road trip with your friends is an accomplishment in gaming I haven't felt since Zelda originally captured the feeling of exploring the woods behind your house.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:46 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
FF15 has a lot of rough edges, but the way it captured the universal essence of going on a road trip with your friends is an accomplishment in gaming I haven't felt since Zelda originally captured the feeling of exploring the woods behind your house.
Well I just beat chapter 2. I'll update my thoughts and nonplussed-ment as i got along.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 PM
Family Man

All the stuff surrounding the core bros and the road trip is what got me into the game. When all that pretty much goes away after a certain point, along with all gameplay elements tied to those things, it's...not great. It turns into a different game, which it probably was at some point in development.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:44 AM

FFXV's multiplayer is up, and so far it's neat but has a lot of rough edges. The hoops you have to jump through to play with friends is pretty absurd. And that's especially ironic when the expansion is called "Comrades"
Old 11-16-2017, 07:10 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
it's neat but has a lot of rough edges
FFXV, folks
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 AM
120 Days

So I beat this.

Um. It kind of sucks, but i sorta of enjoyed it in the end.

THOUGHTS:

1. Played on XBONE - what they had at library. Terrible port. No anti-aliasing in hair, texture pop in like it was a 2007 unreal engine game.

2. Coleman's, Cup Noodle. Go fuck yourself.

3. the first half of the game (chapters 1-3) are very much at odds with everything else. The crafting there in (meals/buffs) CHocobos etc. It's nearly an entire different game. I want to say it's the better part, but the combat system is extra shitty in the open world context. And while the regalia is cool and all, getting around is a pain in the ass. Unlike the games it's aping, Skyrim, Witcher etc, there is nothing to find if you are just walking around. No random caves with some neat loot. Or maybe there is. I only have 8/13 armigers.

4. Speaking of which what is going on with the story? NEED TO FIND ALL THE ARMS. Oh BTW THERE ARE GODS. Only one of these things is important. Also who the fuck are Lunafreya and Ravus. The game seems to indicate they are important. But what does the Oracle do really? Like really the only important humans in terms of dealing with the Gods are the Lucii.

5. On that note - the cosmology of this game was by far the most interesting thing. Ifrit presented as this Prometheus/Loki/Satan figure was rad, and one of the best fights in the game. Also how the story worked out with Aldyn was also really cool.

6. Aside from that though - bosses mostly terrible, most especially Leviathan. I swam a lot of that fight until something happened and I was godlike.

7. Controls are terrible. The system could have been stripped down to be more like DA:I and it would have been a lot better. Also felt a lot of time like i was prompted to hit a button and there was no immediate indication of something happening, summons especially. HOLD LT. ok - when does something happen? It was weird. Meanwhile I have to hit several buttons down to do singular actions. It's was a mess.

8. The upgrade system / tree is a goddamned mess.

END RATING: 5/10

Did like Aldyn and Noctis' fate though!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah, there's definitely stuff to find just poking around the map - those other 5 armigers probably, plenty of random treasures, a few puzzles and stuff. But that's something to do if you're *enjoying* the open world setup, so if you're not, *shrug*, just as well to push through I suppose.

The plot is a bit of a mess (as usual for recent FFs, the characters are stronger than the strung-together narrative around them), and if you *really* want to understand it you kind of need to add a movie and some anime and a few other things and I totally understand anyone who just throws up their hands at that. It's pretty inessential to the game's actual strengths anyway.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM

cup noodles is a good feature though
Old 11-20-2017, 10:24 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
cup noodles is a good feature though
I took a picture of the cup noodles and it was my picture Noctis took into the final battle, and again in the credits. I laughed!

Oh Q:

So did Noctis fly in time 10 years, or was he just eating cup noodles on the beach growing is hilarious Mr SHOW beard?
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
4. Speaking of which what is going on with the story? NEED TO FIND ALL THE ARMS. Oh BTW THERE ARE GODS. Only one of these things is important. Also who the fuck are Lunafreya and Ravus. The game seems to indicate they are important. But what does the Oracle do really? Like really the only important humans in terms of dealing with the Gods are the Lucii.
All of this is explained during the course of the game. The only problem however, is that you're 1) expected to be paying attention to context clues to begin with, and 2) read/listen supplemental info scattered about, both things that you likely weren't patient/engaged enough to be doing. Which I still think is a legitimate knock on the game (things that are super important to the plot should be emphasized a bit more than how they were in this game) but is not as dire as you make it out to be.

FFXV definitely could have dug into the mythology and plot more. But at the same time, FFXV feels very much like a purposeful counter-reaction to FFXIII that had too much exposition and information dumps. I think FFXV definitely went too far in its counter-reaction, but if you had to make me choose between the two extremes, I'd take XV every time.

Meanwhile, I'm dumping a sizable amount of time into Comrades. And oh boy is it a mess. The barebones of what you're doing is great. It's essentially a monster hunter clone. You do missions, you use loot to upgrade your weapons, parites of 4 go out and slay shit, etc. But the mechanics of how you do all this is a mess. You can't just create lobbies or form a permanent party so you can bang out a bunch of missions in a row easy like with friends. Every time you want to play with a friend, you have to both click on the same battle instance within an extremely small time window, and hope you don't get froze out either by a slow load or pubs quick-play auto-grouping into your game. Then there's the slow loading, which makes everything tedious. And the missions themselves are often very routine and boring. There's essentially only three mission types, and the difference then is the locations and the types of monsters in them. And unlike MonHun or other similar games where you're going to stages that offer a bit of terrain to explore, Comrades usually takes square chunks of the overworld, and very small chunks at that which basically means every mission is limited to tiny arenas. There's a few quick improvements they could make to have the experience be more interesting/user friendly, but at this moment it isn't that. I'll be interested in seeing if this is a mode they'll expand and update, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a good template however for a expanding into a more polished and deep experience.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:42 PM
120 Days

Quote:
All of this is explained during the course of the game. The only problem however, is that you're 1) expected to be paying attention to context clues to begin with, and 2) read/listen supplemental info scattered about, both things that you likely weren't patient/engaged enough to be doing. Which I still think is a legitimate knock on the game (things that are super important to the plot should be emphasized a bit more than how they were in this game) but is not as dire as you make it out to be.

FFXV definitely could have dug into the mythology and plot more. But at the same time, FFXV feels very much like a purposeful counter-reaction to FFXIII that had too much exposition and information dumps. I think FFXV definitely went too far in its counter-reaction, but if you had to make me choose between the two extremes, I'd take XV every time.

Meanwhile, I'm dumping a sizable amount of time into Comrades. And oh boy is it a mess. The barebones of what you're doing is great. It's essentially a monster hunter clone. You do missions, you use loot to upgrade your weapons, parites of 4 go out and slay shit, etc. But the mechanics of how you do all this is a mess. You can't just create lobbies or form a permanent party so you can bang out a bunch of missions in a row easy like with friends. Every time you want to play with a friend, you have to both click on the same battle instance within an extremely small time window, and hope you don't get froze out either by a slow load or pubs quick-play auto-grouping into your game. Then there's the slow loading, which makes everything tedious. And the missions themselves are often very routine and boring. There's essentially only three mission types, and the difference then is the locations and the types of monsters in them. And unlike MonHun or other similar games where you're going to stages that offer a bit of terrain to explore, Comrades usually takes square chunks of the overworld, and very small chunks at that which basically means every mission is limited to tiny arenas. There's a few quick improvements they could make to have the experience be more interesting/user friendly, but at this moment it isn't that. I'll be interested in seeing if this is a mode they'll expand and update, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a good template however for a expanding into a more polished and deep experience.
I never read stuff even in games i fully love, like no codex entries for me. For me the most interesting bit of world building and critical yet optional bit of dialogue, was Shiva explaining the purpose of the gods. So I can appreciate something is there on a sign or news paper, but some things should be more "there" esp Lunafreya and Ravus.

But yeah - it's a lot better than XIII. So step in right direction for sure.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:12 PM

I love reading supplemental stuff (MGS1-PW are GOAT games for this), but only if the game can both 1) rope me into the story so I want to learn more, and 2) still contain the most important plot bits and revelations into the main story itself. XIII utterly failed at both of these things. XV more or less hit enough of the right notes with me.

Ravus and Lunafreya get explained pretty well during late game flashbacks. There are triggered events and memories of Lunafreya and Ravus having conversations about the roles both of them share, and their apprehensions in going down a doomed path. Late in the game when you find Ravus's body, scattered around him are what amounts to his personal journal that explains his transforming character motivations from the beginning of the game to the end. Of course, you have to click to read them. That moment later gets expanded a little during the chapter 13 edit that added Gladio's perspective to that segment. There's also radio interviews that you can listen to that inform the player of Lunafreya's actions while she's out doing things you aren't privy to.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
I'm dumping a sizable amount of time into Comrades. And oh boy is it a mess. The barebones of what you're doing is great. It's essentially a monster hunter clone. You do missions, you use loot to upgrade your weapons, parites of 4 go out and slay shit, etc. But the mechanics of how you do all this is a mess. You can't just create lobbies or form a permanent party so you can bang out a bunch of missions in a row easy like with friends. Every time you want to play with a friend, you have to both click on the same battle instance within an extremely small time window, and hope you don't get froze out either by a slow load or pubs quick-play auto-grouping into your game. Then there's the slow loading, which makes everything tedious. And the missions themselves are often very routine and boring. There's essentially only three mission types, and the difference then is the locations and the types of monsters in them. And unlike MonHun or other similar games where you're going to stages that offer a bit of terrain to explore, Comrades usually takes square chunks of the overworld, and very small chunks at that which basically means every mission is limited to tiny arenas. There's a few quick improvements they could make to have the experience be more interesting/user friendly, but at this moment it isn't that. I'll be interested in seeing if this is a mode they'll expand and update, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a good template however for a expanding into a more polished and deep experience.
Personally I'm hoping they'll take some notes from Grand Theft Auto Online in the long run. Let the players have free reign of the big giant world when not in matches, add in a shitload of weapons/clothes/vehicles/Chocobo patterns, allow players to buy their own li'l piece of the game world, and add in all kinds of crazy multiplayer nonsense modes.

A bland Monster Hunter knock-off feels like a huge waste of potential.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Final Fantasy XV is a good game, but no one knows why exactly.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:26 AM
does the Underpants Dance

I am agonizing over the decision to buy this game on sale. $20 is right at the threshold for what I'm willing to pay to try this hot mess of a game, but I watched a friend play it yesterday and I saw so many flaws already. However, nobody told me it has a weird pinball/breakout hybrid minigame. And it was very difficult to tell how much of a mess the combat actually is because my friend isn't exactly a good representative: he did so many sidequests that he's level 86 in Chapter 9 so he can just hit things to win and doesn't seem to have to know any of the mechanics.

Tags
all day , boy band , bro trip , chocobros , cool rock , final fantasy , final fantasy xv , food porn , frog fractions 2 , garula , i want to ride my chocobo , magitek killbot squad , road trip , sausagefest