The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-14-2017, 06:54 AM
so exciting!

The day 1 patch has the "wait til nightfall" option when you take a night based hunt.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
The day 1 patch has the "wait til nightfall" option when you take a night based hunt.
Why is something this easy and obvious not something caught wayyyyy earlier in development? Why do I have to wait 2 hours and download 11 GBs just for that fix as well?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:21 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I really dislike that day-one patch. Most of that giant patch is just shoving Kingsglaive footage into the game in places it doesn't belong.
Quote:
Why is something this easy and obvious not something caught wayyyyy earlier in development? Why do I have to wait 2 hours and download 11 GBs just for that fix as well?
the Day one patch also adds the Wait Mode, improves the camera, gives you the Monster Whistle once you're at a certain point in the story, adds easier sharing of PRompto's photos, adds the filter effects in battle when Noct's HP is low, adds the MP3 player so you can listen to the car soundtracks walking around, allows you to Warp outside of combat, adds the Regalia Shop, fixes bugs, adds more fish and fishing hotspots, refines side quest balance... it's a significant tune-up, not just adding in CGI snippets.

also the game is perfectly playable without the Day One patch - I know because I started playing without it for a few hours, then the patch finished downloading overnight as I slept. (11GB on my shitty internet takes 5-8 hours to download, depending.)

what I'm trying to say is: keep your hat on, buddy
Old 01-15-2017, 12:38 PM
contains words & diagrams

Wait where the fuck do you get an mp3 player.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:46 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
Wait where the fuck do you get an mp3 player.
The car's shop, I believe.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:04 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
The car's shop, I believe.
Oh, right, the one shop I never check because ironically, it doesn't sell cds.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Apparently they patched in NG+. Anyone started it over? What is carried over and what resets?
Here's the shortlist:
You do not keep:
* Summons
* Ring of the Lucii
* The World Map
* Your Hunter Rank or quests
* Camp Training Levels

You do keep:
* Items and weapons, including magic flasks
* Clothes
* Level and AP/Ascension Grid status
* Gil
* Chocobo and medals
* Fishes/Dishes/Photos and their skill levels (including Gladio's)

Quote:
well, you've had 1000 hours to download it.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Little Waves

The World Map also reverts to a blank slate when you get it again in New Game +. All your bright areas and icons are gone until you rediscover them.

Another thing you do keep is your play time. The counter doesn't reset.

Some Treasure Spots are changed, surprisingly. I grabbed one in the Three Valleys area near the very beginning, and it yielded an Iron Duke—a weapon you'd normally only get as a reward for a certain quest in the post-game.

It also seems to be set up like Chrono Trigger, where you can start New Game + using the data from any save file, not just a clear file. We haven't tested this, though.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:48 PM
actually an eevee

we beat the game last night.

Thoughts on the ending
* I liked how in Insomnia all the trees are blasted white dead things, but when you watch the sun rise, you see plenty of chlorophyll in the landscape. Oh well!
* It really fucked me up to see Noct in the throne room with a big CONGRATS CXIV KING OF LUCIS banner. Like, that's what should have happened, but it can't... ;_;
* But it was gratifying to see Noct and Luna together finally, even if it's not 'real'
* UUDD pointed out a while back about how the whole kingdom of Lucis was oriented to keep pumping out princes until the chosen one showed up, then to keeping Noct alive long enough to die. If that isn't just perfect for a society that worships death and dreams, I don't know what is.
* I miss the old title screen music. BTW, if you stay on that screen for like an hour, time passes and it does turn to daybreak again. Haven't let it stay on the new one to see if it does something similar
* The big painting of the Six in Carbuncle's tutorial room shows the Oracle on top, then the Kings of Lucis, Bahamut and 2-3 other dudes (?), then Ifrit and Leviathan on the left for team Fuck Humanity, Shiva, Ramuh, and Titan on the right for team Humans Are A'ite I Guess, then all sorts of daemons down below.
* We took the group shot from under Cape Caem into the final battle.
* "Walk tall, my son" is the last thing King Dad says to you before you leave forever.
* The people Ardyn has strung up in the throne room appear to be the Emperor, King Dad, Luna, and Nyx???

Lingering Questions
* Okay, so was Ardyn the healer and still part of the royal line, but not the jealous king? This totally confused me in Ch 13 when he talks about it there, and nothing really cleared it up afterwards.
* Your friends show up in Crystal Space, along with King Dad and Luna... did that mean those iron giants fucked them up after you parted ways? :x
* So, Noct's strange childhood illness??? Does the Crystal just knock your feet out from under you when it chooses you??

Theories
* I've decided that the daemon plague/starscourge was brought to Eos from outer space via the meteor
* Noct is a fayth, keeping dream Lucis/Altissia alive as he remembers them. (ok, that's more just a funny thought, but it's kind of eerie to think about)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
* Your friends show up in Crystal Space, along with King Dad and Luna... did that mean those iron giants fucked them up after you parted ways? :x
I'm assuming the answer is yes, and not just 'cuz the giants are nasty foes. The weapons materializing out of nowhere, the ability to use magic, energy drinks functioning as healing items, all that stuff was tied to Noctis. He dies, and presumably they lose those perks.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:11 PM
so exciting!

i'm off to get mythril how much of this game is left, assuming i'm gonna skip literally every sidequest from here on out except the occasional hunt when i need cash for the golden key inn

also please tell me that once i get the master sword in the temple of time and the game becomes a hallway that it stops throwing car rides at me
Old 01-15-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
So, Noct's strange childhood illness??? Does the Crystal just knock your feet out from under you when it chooses you??
In Brotherhood: FF15 anime, as a child Noctis and his dad gets attacked by the daemon Marilith and was injured in the process. And that's why he ends up going to Tenebrae for rehab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I'm assuming the answer is yes, and not just 'cuz the giants are nasty foes. The weapons materializing out of nowhere, the ability to use magic, energy drinks functioning as healing items, all that stuff was tied to Noctis. He dies, and presumably they lose those perks.
I interpreted that whole scene as purely metaphorical. Like Cloud's final duel with Sephiroth in the Lifestream at the end of FF7. Noctis had friends and family to lend him strength; Ardyn had only solitude and bitterness as allies. At least, that's how I'm choosing to interpret things, because everyone deserves their happy endings in this game. Also, Noctis's buddies survived for a while in Niflheim for a while when separated from Noctis and unable to call their weapons. They're crafty enough to survive.

Also, about Ardyn he was a chosen king to end the blight, and the jealous king was the one who branded him as impure and usurped the throne/family line.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:02 PM
actually an eevee

Default this is how bad I have it for this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dracula View Post
I missed out on the Episode Duscae demo because I didn't have console that could play it at the time. There's no way to play it now, is there? It's YouTube or nothing at this point, yeah?
Quote:
The Episode Duscae codes that came with Type-0 expired around the end of March, so if you haven't got it yet you ain't going to get it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dracula View Post
My Type-0 code didn't work.
FWIW, I found a cheap copy of Type-0 on ebay and the code in it still worked as of this week. I wonder if DD's issue was the code being for the wrong PS store country?

Last edited by Lady; 01-15-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: It was actually pretty interesting to see how much stuff from the final game was or was not in it
Old 01-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
* It really fucked me up to see Noct in the throne room with a big CONGRATS CXIV KING OF LUCIS banner. Like, that's what should have happened, but it can't... ;_;
* But it was gratifying to see Noct and Luna together finally, even if it's not 'real'
There's no reason it absolutely has to not be 'real.' There's still the big hole in the wall (indicating it's not an idealized unreality) and that upbeat, otherwise ironically cruel theme of Final Fantasy playing in the background. Ardyn, Noctis, and maybe Lunafreya sort of descend bodily into the afterworld (instead of leaving behind corpses) and do alive-looking things down there; the question is if Noctis and Luna (and maybe the three other bros, if they died) come back afterward. Of course, on the other hand, Noctis could have died and stayed dead. The last scene is hopelessly open to interpretation, reportedly deliberately so. And it would almost have to be deliberate, not to mention a bit cynical and commercial. This way if Square ever wants sequel material it can already have Noct be there or not as desired.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Finally got a copy of this to rent!

Did playing the demo actually do anything? It got a notice that Carbuncle will be there but haven't seen anything since.

Combat is so awful. I've looked through the guides and unlocked regroup and a few other things but I don't feel like a team or that we're doing anything right. The fluidity I felt in combat in FF13 is just not here. I hope that improves but it sounds like combat is not anyone's favorite thing.

But the world is neat and I'm excited to play in it. I just triggered Ch 2 so I haven't done too much yet but it's fun to explore.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 AM
World of Darkness Returns

The combat never gets better, you just eventually just buy enough potions/elixirs that it doesn't matter that you're getting hit constantly.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM

If the combat never clicks for you this is true. The Costlemark menace dungeon doesn't allow item use and the only difficult part is 4 iron giants with their gravity attack in one room.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 AM
so exciting!

it's great when enemies start out far enough away you can just nuke them with one of your quadcast thundaras instead of having to plink away with your weapons
Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Combat is so awful. I've looked through the guides and unlocked regroup and a few other things but I don't feel like a team or that we're doing anything right. The fluidity I felt in combat in FF13 is just not here. I hope that improves but it sounds like combat is not anyone's favorite thing.
I think it does improve. You can increase the likelihood and power of link strikes, and you get the Armiger weapons that are all pretty cool ways to change up your style. Also look in weapon shops for a shield for Gladio, give Ignis a spear, and if you do the next couple story quests you'll pick up an autocrossbow and a bio blaster for Prompto.

Also your crew's skills get much more powerful as you use them, so use that meter all the time.

Cyclone is one of my favorite skills for Gladio, he does a shield slam, then become a warp point. If you warp in you grab his sword and do increasingly ridiculous whirlwind attacks with it as it levels up.

Prompto has Gravity Well, which is great for gathering enemies together before you unleash a warp attack with a heavy weapon.

So there's a lot of opportunity to create synergy, and I think you'll start to see it emerge shortly. I remember feeling overwhelmed at first, but eventually you also just get better at seeing what's actually happening. Also you can warp any time without locking on to escape if the enemies are all clustering around you. This usually gives me the breather I need to decide what to do next.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Come, noble knights!

A big part of improving the FF15 combat experiencce is learning to accept the use of Wait Mode when you need it instead of trying to straight up play it as an action game all the time.

Also Noct's perks for aerial combat and dodging are good investments, and countering or blindsiding foes can help end the fight a lot sooner.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Are You Sure About That?

How do you actually craft magic in this? I puttered around in the element menu forever and couldn't get anything to actually craft.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
How do you actually craft magic in this? I puttered around in the element menu forever and couldn't get anything to actually craft.
Select an open flask, add in one or more elements, add in an item if you want to give extra effects and select craft. Which step isn't working?

In case it wasn't obvious, you need to fill up your element reserves before you can use them. There are spots for this near havens.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:06 PM
An Animal of Joy

You can also use the engine blade to gather energy from defeated enemies.

My guess is he is missing that you have to press down to select the big blue "Craft" button. That hangs me up sometimes even though I use a lot of magic.

Also it's always worth it to toss in one potion if you don't have anything else in mind for a spell. It won't heal much but it will prevent damage to friends. They'll still get burned, shocked, or frozen though.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:10 PM

Alternatively, ignore magic entirely because its not necessary and a hassle to aim.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:10 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Yeah, it's not very intuitive. "Craft" looks more like a label than a button. Took me a while to figure out.

Since we're asking questions, how do I get Cid to finish upgrading my weapons? The game says to come back later after doing some quests, but he's been hanging on to my Drain Lance for the entire game and still won't give it back.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:15 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Select an open flask, add in one or more elements, add in an item if you want to give extra effects and select craft. Which step isn't working?

In case it wasn't obvious, you need to fill up your element reserves before you can use them. There are spots for this near havens.
Couple of places where the UI gets me

1) use the d-pad to highlight spells and the shoulder buttons to add some in
2) press down to actually get to the craft button
2.a) don't get stuck in the item select
Old 01-16-2017, 12:15 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Yeah, it's not very intuitive. "Craft" looks more like a label than a button. Took me a while to figure out.

Since we're asking questions, how do I get Cid to finish upgrading my weapons? The game says to come back later after doing some quests, but he's been hanging on to my Drain Lance for the entire game and still won't give it back.
you have to complete a few hunts/quests and then sleep in Lucis. you'll get a phone call after you wake up.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Alternatively, ignore magic entirely because its not necessary and a hassle to aim.
That's what Wait Mode is for, dood. Just select the target you wanna throw the magic at and push attack.

Magic is a real butt saver, especially if you wanna nuke large groups or tough foes fast. The buff items Magitek soldiers drop are your friends in magic-crafting, 'cuz Quintcast.

The DLC ring that protects your party from magic friendly fire helps, too.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:32 PM

I used Wait mode for a while because I'm usually a control freak in games. But I found this game to be more fun without it.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
That's what Wait Mode is for, dood. Just select the target you wanna throw the magic at and push attack.

Magic is a real butt saver, especially if you wanna nuke large groups or tough foes fast. The buff items Magitek soldiers drop are your friends in magic-crafting, 'cuz Quintcast.

The DLC ring that protects your party from magic friendly fire helps, too.
I beat the game at level 49 and maybe died twice without using magic. The balance in this game is strongly tilted in the player's favor to begin with so I never bothered with wait mode.

Tags
all day , boy band , bro trip , chocobros , cool rock , final fantasy , final fantasy xv , food porn , frog fractions 2 , garula , i want to ride my chocobo , magitek killbot squad , road trip , sausagefest