The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM
poisonous thread snake

Is John Byrne's weird explanation for how Skrulls reproduce ("Skrull Milk") still canon?

Also I just nabbed that X-Men/Micronauts mini on a whim. I'm looking forward to wasting 45 minutes reading it!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Senhor Member

I've finished Mutant X. lmao. I know these pictures are bad; just snapped 'em on my phone.

First of all, I'm happy to say I was wrong about Bloodstorm. She's ultimately a standout character and maybe the second best type of Bloodstorm you could hope for. (first would be unapologetic bloodfiend... maybe)
Kitty's salty and hard now that storm kept her as a bloodslave for a bit. Bloodstorm's like, "whatever. women!"

Bloodstorm would

This annual wherein Bloodstorm turned Gambit into a Vampyre had great art/angst.

Howard Mackie looooooves having people say their goofy names, and correct others about them. I love it, too.

Bloodstorm, his name is now Bloodgambit!

-_T

That's how you fuckin leave a conversation! If you are Vampyre!

They're so fucking cool; they should really strive to somehow fully cover their blood-red eyes with sunglasses while also showing their blood-red eyes at the same time

Love it. Love a "who dares!"

yesssssss

Also, just thought it was cool that at one point Mackie remembered she was claustrophobic, but actually, she's sort of over that now.

She's unfortunately cured of her bloodlust and sun weakness late in the series. They were amusing here! So she's a bit dull and carefree in X-Men Blue and just focusing on the other important part of being a vampire: having a sexual relationship with a teenager.

She's just cool~

Madelyne was never a great villain here, like she was in the 616. Still, she had great style.

Also the Fallen's sick too
Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Senhor Member

Robert "Bob" "Ice-Man" homosexuality dossier

Into his stories

Just teasin' his pal about Elektra

Whoops can't stop thinking about his smooth face, shaved for..... someone else

Havok makes Bob's week

Bob just wants to touch... anyone. No need to get specific

Just asking questions! About my life in another world! Is it different or better in any way!

Had a strictly platonic relationship with Maddie

Bob, he's straight

Hey Jean I definitely had a sexual fantasy about Willow Rosenberg and... someone else....

Also a couple times late in the series, Jean (yeah, Jean shows up, whatever) is just like, "shut up, Bob!" and it's funny.

Et cetera

Look at the haircut they gave Charlie at one point

There's an X-Man lol

I always thought this made smoking seem cool when I was a kid. No shit; paid for by a tobacco company

I did page through the last few issues in stores as they came out - post-movie, post-DK guide to the X-Men. I remember looking at this and thinking he was kind of cute.

The last few issues are dire but they had their moments. At first, I thought this was Bloodstorm just being like, "oh, shut up, Natasha."

But actually... this universe is twisted and different! They have another catchphrase!

I would love it if Havok became one of Dracula's vampire brides, but no this goes nowhere, which has a charm of its own

The last few issues guest star Madelyne Pryor back from the dead, wearing the corpse of the Beyonder and acting like him.
Is that a twisted, witchly Devil Dinosaur?

Even the snacks are twisted here! Corn with added sugar?

Elektra does not come back from the dead in the final issue, but I like that Scotty's chill because he knows he's a in a comic book and none of this will last

The final arc is terrible, but it's sort of charming to see how Mackie just effortlessly escalates things when his book is cancelled. He spent the last ten issues of X-Factor setting up a status quo with a new cast only to have one of them lose it and create dysfunctional time machine which explodes Havok into... this. Mutant X's final arc starts with Jean having a psychic link dream with goddamn Wolverine. They're like, we have to rescue him! (Canada is a totalitarian empire which Mackie keeps revealing has conquered more land... Russia, much of Asia, Maine)

The superheroes and US government are like, "don't go to Canada; that will literally start World War IV." Our heroes, the Six, are like, "we are definitely willing to do that, for this guy." Captain America, one of the Six, loses his mind and blows up the moon (which I don't... think is resolved, but don't worry, it'll be fine) and then fucks off to the center of the Earth to wake up Maddie and Havok just writes himself out of the book while vaguely fixing things. This book is at its best when its weirdos are free to hang out but I'm sort of glad I got to see all that.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:18 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

On the most recent X-plain they had Jordan D. White (editor for the X-line) on and one question they asked was about letting queer characters come out more explicitly, specifically referring to characters like Kitty Pryde who were written with a lot of subtextual (and sometimes only barely subtextual) same sex attraction.

This is not a surprise, but he danced around it and referred to mysterious obstacles preventing this from happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan D. White, around 49 minutes in
"There are difficulties. Some of them story . . . Some of them, larger, crazy real world things. I don't know how much else I can say."
Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Senhor Member

They also talked about it with Seanan Maguire on Battle of the Atom this week and she mentioned being constrained by an NDA. (though not necessarily with respect to queer Kitty) She obviously has a lot less power than White or whoever’s mysteriously preventing confirmation. I don’t have time stamps. I do remember her saying she didn’t want Kitty’s secret first kiss to have been with a woman because she wouldn’t have wanted it to seem like Kitty was keeping it a secret or something. She wants Kitty out of the closet, too.

oh, meant to post some classic editor’s notes earlier

this came out a week before the issue was released

this is spectacular

Old 08-16-2018, 07:38 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
They also talked about it with Seanan Maguire on Battle of the Atom this week and she mentioned being constrained by an NDA.
She was really fun and thoughtful in that interview. I hope that her issues are good and that she gets more chances work on the line.

(I think Battle of the Atom is a terrible podcast during their standard episodes and I absolutely can't stand to listen to it when it's just them, but I like that they've been doing a lot of interviews.)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:28 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
She was really fun and thoughtful in that interview. I hope that her issues are good and that she gets more chances work on the line.

(I think Battle of the Atom is a terrible podcast during their standard episodes and I absolutely can't stand to listen to it when it's just them, but I like that they've been doing a lot of interviews.)
May I ask what you don't like about it? I've enjoyed their regular podcasts, and mostly skip the interviews.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
May I ask what you don't like about it? I've enjoyed their regular podcasts, and mostly skip the interviews.
My biggest issue is that they don't have any meaningful or interesting discussion of the stories rank. I tried listening a few times, and I never felt like I left with any impression of anything they ever discussed. They might as well be ranking randomly generated integers.

I also think the criteria they use for ranking is boring and their emphasis on arbitrarily weighted historical significance leads to extremely pre-determined results. So I never find it to be particularly insightful or surprising either.

In contrast to this, the interviews are great, both because the guests have been excellent and because the hosts demonstrate an ability to lead the kind of in depth discussion they for some reason avoid on normal episodes.

At the moment, the list feels like it exists to serve the list. I want a list as a jumping off point to talk about . . . something.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men , xavier is a jerk