The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-15-2018, 04:49 PM

Can confirm it won't work. Backwards compatibility was always region locked on PS3.

PS2 emulation was always at least partly hardware based, PS1 emulation was always software based so while hardware revisions removed PS2 support, PS1 support never went away.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:54 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Update #13 from TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME Aug 17 2018
Waluigi-themed NF Magazine Bonus!

Hi guys!

NF Magazine (which I do comics and articles for) is having a special Waluigi-themed issue this upcoming month! It's all about the man in purple, and it includes some art of mine on the cover, as well as an article or two about my take on Waluigi (plus, the "Waluigi's Invitation" comic I posted earlier makes an appearance)! The cutoff to sign up at Patreon.com/NintendoForce is this Sunday, August 19th. It even comes with a crazy poster full of Waluigi art!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 AM

Re: Timesplitters & Second Sight IP acquired by THQ Nordic.

I'm also excited for the possibility of a new Timesplitters sequel. Moreover, despite the fact that officially they haven't said an actual game is being made yet, a sequel seems more like an eventuality than a mere possibility given the hinting in their pubic statements (especially the statement quoted below):

Quote:
We are hugely excited to have acquired Timesplitters. The original games gave fans a massive content offer and provided a pure and genuinely fun arcade shooter experience. We have many fans of the Timesplitters series among our own staff who are passionate about creating a product that will thrill today's gaming audience.
I also found it amusing that just two weeks ago David Doak had a youtube interview where he was asked if he thinks there will ever be another Timesplitters, and Doak replied with a rather categorical belief that no, there will never be one!

\(º □ º l|l)/

I take this as a good reminder that it's never wrong to believe and keep believing.

Interview:

The question is asked at 15:04, although there's more Timesplitters talk before that point too.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I've only ever played it on PC, so I can't speak to that. According to this, though, the multiplayer experience on PS4 was pretty disappointing.
YEEEEEESH! Though, that article also kinda explains why getting the final artifact was so damn easy on PS4...
Old 08-18-2018, 10:23 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
C'mon... you know you WAH-nt it.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
You don't suppose he's a native of Wah-kanda, do you?
Old 08-19-2018, 09:50 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I will be anticipating the upcoming PS2 on PS4 ports that will most likely spawn because of this. THQ did bring the Destroy All Humans! and Red Faction games to the system, so it's likely only a matter of time.

I wish more companies gave a shit about PS2 on PS4. Or hell, PSone on PS4.
Since PS2 remasters are getting rarer outside of occasional compilations, many of the more obscure ones I'd like to see again probably will only see light this way.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Since PS2 remasters are getting rarer outside of occasional compilations, many of the more obscure ones I'd like to see again probably will only see light this way.
Yeah, I really wish more devs gave a crap about it. Outside of an initial wave of Sony Computer Entertainment and Rockstar support, and the games in that Star Wars bundle, and SCE remembering this was a thing long enough to dump Jak's games, there hasn't been much in the way of continued PS2 on PS4 support outside of the odd SNK or THQ release. Like, Square Enix and Capcom stopped by long enough to drop off Star Ocean 3 and Code Veronica X, but it was just a cruel tease 'cuz they ported those and nothing else.

Well okay, that's not completely true since they both have remasters of a lot of stuff (The FFX duology, the Devil May Cry PS2 trilogy, the Kingdom Hearts games, Okami, etc.), but they both have a lot of stuff they could dump on there that probably won't see a rerelease otherwise. The Bouncer, God Hand, Radiata Stories, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Unlimited SaGa, Haunting Ground, Drakengard, Killer 7...all YMMV (even the cult classics), but they could all get a new lease on life as $10-$20 budget releases, maybe even gain a fan following they couldn't back when they were new and $50 and limited by physical media.

Oh well, least we got the Level 5 stuff. Even if it still has a few graphical bugs that could use patching.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Fifth Business

I recently got a working PS3 again after my old one broke years ago, and my kids are all excited to be able to play its games again, scrambling to remember what the names of their favorite ones were so we could find it and being all 'OH, OH, I REMEMBER THIS ONE!" about others as they perused and it struck me that, for them, the PS3 is their nostalgia console from the distant past.

The passage of time can be cool.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

The thing is, PS3 (and Xbox 360!) games haven't even aged all that badly! That's the generation where graphics got astonishingly realistic. I'm always taken aback by the price of these consoles in pawn shops and thrift stores... nobody wants them right now. The games are even cheaper... I found a copy of Soul Calibur IV for two dollars, and would have jumped on it if the pawn shop hadn't been so busy with other customers.

If you're going to get into the last generation of game systems, now is definitely the right time for it. They won't stay cheap for long!
Old 08-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Fifth Business

Indeed, Would Recommend. I've had fun revisiting the system and its library, too, even though for me a few years doesn't feel like AN EPOCH as it does to the children-folk.

Also, as somebody who had the PS3 Fat, it's weird just how...relaxing the PS3 Slim is? Even before the Fat puttered out on me (RIP, being able to conveniently play PS2 discs), it just seemed like an oppressively big, rickety, electricity-hungry, overheating-prone engine of a thing. The Slim just so much more conveys the air of something stable and serene, that will last longer without something going awry. Hopefully that is the case!

It is still big, though, bigger than I expected from something identified by its slim-ness, which turned out to be merely relative. I considered getting the actually petite Super-Slim instead, but it does sound like it's more a case of pro's and con's rather than one being objectively better between it and the regular Slim, so I choose to stand by my decision.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:34 PM
Come, noble knights!

I would still prefer to get a PS3 new, but at this point I may just settle for a used one if the price and GB are right. There's still a number of games I'd like to buy on the platform that seem unlikely to get PS4 ports at this point, as well as the PSone Classics line and a number of PS2 compilations and ports not on PS4.

And I agree, last generation's games have aged pretty well. The initial year of the current console generation had me rolling my eyes at the piles and piles of ports of games I could play on my 360, but I'm not ashamed to admit that a good chunk of my PS4 library is made of enhanced 360/PS3 games. Heck, the move to newly ported pastures has been a boon for some of them: Skyrim is much more stable, Dragon's Dogma has a non-terrible framerate, DmC runs as fast and frantic as previous Devil May Cry games now.

Now if Sony would just release remasters of Tokyo Jungle and the Ratchet & Clank games...Also a li'l surprised that Square Enix hasn't tried to sell us remasters of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy yet.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:43 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
The thing is, PS3 (and Xbox 360!) games haven't even aged all that badly! That's the generation where graphics got astonishingly realistic. I'm always taken aback by the price of these consoles in pawn shops and thrift stores... nobody wants them right now. The games are even cheaper... I found a copy of Soul Calibur IV for two dollars, and would have jumped on it if the pawn shop hadn't been so busy with other customers.

If you're going to get into the last generation of game systems, now is definitely the right time for it. They won't stay cheap for long!
I have seen PS3s at stores and thrift shops go for $120, but the games are definitely cheap.
Don't tell anyone, but I have three PS3s I acquired from garage sales this last year. I would have bought one, but Sony made so many different versions and right now they're worthless at garage sales.

Another topic: What is the etiquette for playing arcade games on free play? It seems every event I go to I see people go through the whole game without letting anybody else on. The only hope of playing is to stand behind the machine, wait 40 minutes.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:45 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Another topic: What is the etiquette for playing arcade games on free play? It seems every event I go to I see people go through the whole game without letting anybody else on. The only hope of playing is to stand behind the machine, wait 40 minutes.
Call next for when they die, or put your quarter up anyways.

...no, I'm completely serious. This has never been a problem at Galloping Ghost.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:21 AM
Sudden chomper

I mean, one of the joys of a freeplay arcade is that you finally get to see the endings of games that you couldn't afford to get to otherwise. It's annoying to have to wait, but don't rob the other player of that experience. If it's a multiplayer game, though, don't be shy about grabbing one of the other spots and joining in. And if not, just watch them play and appreciate seeing stages that you probably don't get to play very often one more time.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I mean, one of the joys of a freeplay arcade is that you finally get to see the endings of games that you couldn't afford to get to otherwise.
Unless it's one of those arcade games that has no continues (Bubble Bobble) or a hard limit on continues (Contra) or makes the Game Over for real if you lose all your lives in one of the later stages (Rygar) or at the final boss (Street Fighter Alpha 3).
Old 08-22-2018, 01:39 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Might be worth its own thread depending on how good it is: Lucah: Born of a Dream got released today. I never heard of it before, but its art design is striking and it sports an impressive rundown of gameplay styles. Here's a crunchy gif

Old 08-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Dota2 is having its big annual tournament, and with it comes a bunch of nifty hats designed to separate nerds from their money. This year, one of their hats is a GabeN announcer pack, replacing the game's announcer with Gabe. It's adorable.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:16 PM
not actually a snake

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Normally I detest this sort of thing, and I probably should hate this one even more due to what it represents (especially given my feelings on Steam in general). But for some reason, I can't. It is time for me to repent and turn to Rome
Old 08-23-2018, 12:28 PM
Tell me about your mother

WHOA where the heck did this game come from. It looks weird and kinda excellent, even with my open-world game fatigue??
Old 08-23-2018, 01:25 PM
Much of mystery

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Nerd View Post

WHOA where the heck did this game come from. It looks weird and kinda excellent, even with my open-world game fatigue??
Are those Pikmin at the 35-second mark? Because they seem an awful lot like Pikmin.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 PM

Gamescom started yesterday. Not sure if there's a thread but just some quick thoughts/gushing.
-Sekiro looks amazing. Art direction looks even better than other Souls games and the freedom of movement looks like a blast. It looks to be moving closer and closer to a character action game and I'm ok with that.
-Mount and Blade II has some footage out. Looks good but I doubt it'll be anything more than a graphical upgrade. And I'll still eat it up.
-Devil May Cry 5 looks like a blast. Unless they completely screw it up somehow, it'll likely be the best DMC.
-Daemon x Machina looks like a great reboot of Armored Core.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:41 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

I'm playing Night in the Woods on Switch.

Thoughts on Night in the Woods:

1) this is my favourite Persona game

2) this game does the thing that I will instantly love any game for doing, where there is a separate smaller game that you can play inside of the main game (in this case a twitchy roguelike you can play on Mae's laptop called DEMONTOWER).
Old 08-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
I'm playing Night in the Woods on Switch.

Thoughts on Night in the Woods:

1) this is my favourite Persona game

2) this game does the thing that I will instantly love any game for doing, where there is a separate smaller game that you can play inside of the main game (in this case a twitchy roguelike you can play on Mae's laptop called DEMONTOWER).
Mae is everything we hate about ourselves and that is what makes her so great.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Nerd View Post

I am very into this, but the art style make it kinda hard to follow what's going on. And yeah, those sure do look like Pikmin!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:57 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

I've been meaning to post about Biomutant for like a year now, ha
Old 08-23-2018, 11:49 PM
feeling mega-good!

Pronouns: her/she (kisses)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Normally I detest this sort of thing, and I probably should hate this one even more due to what it represents (especially given my feelings on Steam in general). But for some reason, I can't. It is time for me to repent and turn to Rome
i'm certainly aware of my own biases as far as dota is concerned but i found it legitimately disarming somehow, i think in part because the reveal was couched in a much broader self-deprecating joke (a skit in which two hosts of the event attempt to direct newell through a recording session and become increasingly frustrated by his general uncooperativeness and apparent ignorance of even the msot basic game mechanics)

it's really frustrating watching this event which i think is far and away the best produced in esports, that i feel does so much to uplift and center the game's players and communities around the world, when it's impossible to ignore many aspects of the game's business model, or the fact that TI itself, much like steam, is something of a negative externality on the rest of the professional scene. it's impossible for me to believe that valve can't build a more sustainable structure for teams and events, but doing so would necessarily involve diminishing one of TI's biggest claims to fame-the record setting prize pools, and i can't see them agreeing to that anytime soon
Old 08-23-2018, 11:56 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

The best joke in it is that he doesn't know the number 3.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:39 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Mae is everything we hate about ourselves and that is what makes her so great.
I did the party scene

aaaauuuuuuaaauuugh~
Old 08-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Find Your Reason

If I wanted to stream/record Xbox 360 games, and NOT buy an Xbone, are Elgato or similar capture devices my only option?

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , snippets , thread shortage