The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He
Default Digital Down-Low for 08/16/2018: Prepare... for ADVENTURE

I think others would describe me as "If Jimmy Buffet were a Ninja Turtle"

PS4 (and also Switch, funnily enough) gets State of Mind this week, it's a movie-em-up adventure game about a world where Robots Rules The Land after all the people go for a nap into a virtual world. Kind of like The Matrix. Actually, almost exactly like the Matrix, if I'm interpretting the trailer correctly. Except that the robots all look like Chappie, instead of cool robo squids and whatnot.

The cover-art kind of tricked me into thinking it was a sequel to Remember Me, and that made me excited because that was a cool, cool game that really needed revisiting.

Deaths Gambit would be the sort of game I would be all agog for, if it wasn't released hot on the heels of Dead Cells, which, honestly, looks similar enough that I thought they were the same game until quite recently. Well, Dead Cells with a smidge of Dark Souls and Chakan: The Forever Man, at least.

Anyway, you're a spooky skellyman who has to act as a bounty hunter for the Grim Reaper and wander a cursed kingdom SUPER killing all sorts of Nasty Weirdies. It's also from Adult Swim Games, which is a publisher of unexpectedly consistent quality.

On the Switch, my secret sources tell me that this week will have everyones favorite relaxing party game; Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, a game that, for starters, has an excellent title, and for seconders, is about trying to walk another player through defusing a bomb when only one person can actually see the bomb and another can see the diagram with the defusing instructions.

Next up is Manual Samuel, which is another game about a helpful skelly. In this case, you're some shmuck what gets killed, and makes a deal with Death where he gets to live again if he can make it one whole day without his automatic response systems, so he has to manually respirate and maintain inner-ear balance and all that. It's kind of a cross between Octodad, Weekend at Bernies and QWOP. Except with a skeleton ridiculing you.

Reds Kingdom, at first, I assumed was going to be the kind of chaff I ignore, but closer inspection shows it to be Appealing. It seems to be a Lolo-em-up (the best flavor of Puzzle Game), but with adventure game style progression, like a good-and-proper Zelda-em-up. I'm also reminded a bit of Mole Mania, but I am not sure if that's because of the Lolo/Zelda bits, or the fact that you play as a suburban rodent.

And Johnny Turbo is back with another Game I've Never Heard Of with Nitro Ball. From what I'm able to piece together from screenshots and a very terse description, it's like if Bill Lambeers Combat Basketball was set in the Smash TV/Running Man set, seeming to vere, wildly, between being a sports game and a top-down shooter. At one point Dracula shows up.

You know, Americas Pastime.

Castlestorm is also making its Switch debut, after making it's Everywhere Else debut, it's a strat-e,-up about exploding BAD CASTLES, and it's from the same peeps what made such good, good Pinball games, Zen Studios.

They Pinballed good, so it stands to reason they Explode Castles Good as well.

Transitive property, that's all I'm saying.

Fortunately, the eShop has you covered if you want to explode something but if you find the concept of castles to be repellent; Treadnauts! Which looks a lot like Worms, except with Tanks.

Which, I realize, sounds like Scorched Earth. But you are wrong. It is Worms. Just if they were tanks instead of annelids. So Blaster Master, if anything.

Polygod is a rogue-them-up game where you shoot things in the first person! Unlike most other Rogue-person-shooters, this one kind of reminds me of Dactyl Attack!

That's about all I got.

And bringing up the rear is another advent-em-up. This one is a point and clicky affair by name of Detective Gallo. Who is a rooster investigating who killed some plants. It has a sense of humor and I think the detective is trying to sound like Humphrey Bogart, but kind of soudns more like Steve Blum.

I am 1000% unsure if that's intentional or not.

And that's all I know about FOR NOW!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

a smidge of Chakan, you say
Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

Just a dash, for flavor
Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Oooo, we got a non-Simpsons cameo this week. Yeah, Baby, yeah!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:06 PM

I've got Death's Gambit on download, so I will eventually giving it a play tonight at sometime.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcalan View Post
I've got Death's Gambit on download, so I will eventually giving it a play tonight at sometime.
Like Octo, I don't have room for both it and Dead Cells right now, but it looks super rad, so I definitely intend to get to it at some point.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM

I've played maybe an hour or so of this. I blame late rehearsals for the play I'm in, but have formed some preliminary opinions, so here they are:

It's very Soulsborne, with more of a Bloodborne leaning. You get a shield that can parry attacks for big damage, although I haven't quite gotten the timing down yet. Also, in a bit of a change from the Soulsborne formula, you don't lose your experience when you die. What you do lose are you phoenix feathers, which are your replenish-able health flasks. BUT, if you lose them to a boss and don't want to fight the boss, you can spend souls to retrieve them, which is quite nice. You can also temporarily sacrifice your feathers for an increase in strength, and from the length of the menu, I'm assuming other boosts.

Ladders are weird. You have to press L1 (on PS4) to climb up and down. This also means that if you forget and you are trying to jump to one, you will fall. It is a bit of an odd choice.

There's some weird flickering when people are talking. Like, it goes to the next section of text and their portrait refreshes. It's not gamebreaking or anything, but it is weird.

I found two books that let me do more damage to the boss I'm fighting. I'm still too weak to really fight it, so off a grinding I go. Also, they keep track of how many times you've died to it. I'm so far up to 6.

Tags
digital downloads , octo does not do research