The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Lichotaur

Default The Live Experience

What live musical acts are you going to soon and what ones have you been to that you've enjoyed?

What awesome bands do you recommend seeing their live shows? Who's touring now worth seeing?

Tomorrow night I'm seeing Weird Al Yankovic for the third time. The first two times I saw him at the California State Fair, so this will be the first time I'm seeing him at a regular venue.

Next month I'll be seeing Buckethead (1st time) and Blues Traveler (2nd time).

Late last year I saw Blue Man Group. They were a lot of fun.

I've seen They Might Be Giants four times. They always put on a great show.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
World of Darkness Returns

You might as well take the next day off if you're going to Buckethead in the middle of the week. He'll jam until they kick him out of the venue in my experience.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:39 PM
gatchapon 3*

Metallica puts on one of the best shows i've ever seen, just in terms of enthusiasm and energy. I'm actually spending the weekend going to the Outside Lands festival, which should be crazy.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM
the :motion: stands

I thought it said "They Live Experience"
Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

In the past year, I've been to two concerts: The National (with Owen Pallett) and St. Vincent (with Shearwater). The National were great, but I saw them in a fancy theater which meant lots of people sitting down and being boring. St. Vincent was in a tiny club and was completely amazing.

Seeing David Byrne and St. Vincent in October. Very excited.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Morbid symptom

Primordial are doing a tour of the US in September. I saw them earlier this year and they were bloody brilliant, so do check 'em out if they're in your neck of the woods!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
You might as well take the next day off if you're going to Buckethead in the middle of the week. He'll jam until they kick him out of the venue in my experience.
True 'dat. It will probably be one of the weirdest shows you've ever been to as well. For me, it was only surpassed by The Residents show I went to.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

Muse put on the best live show I've seen by a country mile. But then that's kind of what they're known for.

Beyond that, MCR put on a fantastic rock opera when The Black Parade debuted. I'll remember that one for years to come. I actually got into Rise Against after they opened that night, and they're still one of the strongest live performances I've seen.

Most recently, I saw Thrice for the third time (yeah, yeah, saw 'em thrice), and they were excellent. Dustin Kensrue has lost none of his frontman power and charisma over the years. Incredibly energetic show.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Clickclickclickclick

Iron Maiden puts on a hell of a live show. The pit tickets are totally worth it, and the fans don't mosh - they just rock out to the band. I saw them for the second time 3 weeks ago and it was the best concert I've been to. Ever.

I'll be seeing Rush and Nightwish next month. It will be my first time seeing each band, and I can't wait!

I've also caught Anthrax, Coheed & Cambria, Megadeth, and the Mayhem tour this year. All good shows, but if I had to pick one to follow the Maiden show it would be Coheed & Cambria. Great straight up rock and roll show, with music in the vein of progressive rock. While Alice Cooper was a fantastic opener for Maiden, out west Co&Ca are opening for Iron Maiden and I can't even imagine how great a show that could be.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Gesundheit!

I'm not nearly as raving of a They Might Be Giants fan as I was in high school, but I've seen them nine times now, most recently in January to celebrate my last day at the newspaper, and would gladly see them again. It feels like they offer something new every time.

Also high on my list are Ted Leo (five times) and Yo La Tengo (three times).
Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
kill

Rammstein.

That's all that needs to be said.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Post-circuswave Hobopunk

I saw Black Dice a few months ago.

Other than the fact that they started half an hour late, it was an excellent show. The entire set was blended into one long piece, with trippy videos projected onto the band.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Witchfynder_finder

Back in April I hit a metal tour called Paganfest when it stopped in Detroit. It was headlined by a lot of relatively-big-name folk metal bands, but one of the opening acts was Huntress and they were, in my opinion, the best band of the night. I hadn't heard of them before the tour was announced, but I left with a new favourite band on my List of Favourite Bands. The music was incredible and the performance was spot-on. They didn't have a stage show, but they have stage presence like you wouldn't believe and they're really nice people off-stage.

Also, gotta go with Odin on the Iron Maiden front. Saw them last month and it was killer. They played a festival in a little town in Canada so tickets were only, like, $80 and we were right in front of the stage. 'Course, we had to get there at 2 in the afternoon, but it was worth it. I walked out with a guitar pick and a sunburn.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 AM
concentrate

I saw Ice Cube last weekend and it was honestly one of the best gigs I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a few. The only problem was that it was only a one hour set due to scheduling (and Cube himself said that he would have had a lot more material left).
Old 08-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Democratic Robot

I just got back from seeing The Protomen live. Their set was fucking phenomenal and they're all hugely talented and know how to work the crowd.

I did learn a valuable lesson about skipping the opening bands though. The ones that opened were so terrible we thought that they might be sucking on purpose as some sort of sick joke.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

I wrote a shit ton of words about my experiences at the nerdapalooza aftershow over here
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Minnesota Nice

This year I have seen:
Gotye - super awesome, you may hate that single but the guy puts on a hell of a show and I love all his stuff.
Bombay Bicycle Club - fantastic
Sharon van Etten (with Shearwater) - She was pretty good but I was really there for Shearwater.
Active Child - HARP! Very mellow, but HARP!
The Black Keys - fantastic
Wilco - fantastic
Radiohead - fantastic

In the remaining part of the year I will be seeing:
Wye Oak - Seen them open for The National, great indie folky rock duo.
Lord Huron - More indie folky outta Michigan.
Pinback

I am considering seeing:
Bon Iver
Jens Lenkman
Miike Snow
Yeasayer
Japandroids (more a question of will I still be living here in December)
Nada Surf (same as above)

I'd go to all of them, but the monies, I need to conserve them.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned

Seeing Swans on their last tour was pretty intense.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Post-circuswave Hobopunk

I have tickets to go see Animal Collective this month. Pretty stoked on that.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Lichotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
True 'dat. It will probably be one of the weirdest shows you've ever been to as well. For me, it was only surpassed by The Residents show I went to.
Well, it did have some weirdness, but it was a short show. He only played 1 hour 15 minutes. It was still pretty awesome.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Minnesota Nice

UPDATES

Bon Iver was pretty good, but Radio City Music Hall was better.

Wye Oak, as predicted, was great. Check out Civilian or Holy Holy. Go on, I'll wait.

Super excited for Lord Huron in two weeks.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM
...we're shy.

Minus The Bear is coming to SLC in just a month, and I will be there no matter what.

Aside from that, I'm trying to decide if I want to go see Tegan and Sara when they come with the Killers.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Saw Metric last night. It was very energetic, which I always appreciate. Emily Haines sounded great, and my wife and I agreed that she has really nice legs!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Post-circuswave Hobopunk

Forgot to post about it, but Animal Collective put on a great show. Flying Lotus was one of the opening acts and he was incredible also.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Gesundheit!

Saw David Byrne and St. Vincent perform together in San Francisco last night. The full brass band choreography was entertaining, and St. Vincent really knows how to shimmy with a guitar and high heels. The setlist was the entirety of their recent collaborative album mixed with some highlights from each artist's oevre (Burning Down the House, Road to Nowhere and Like Humans Do for Byrne; Cheerleader, Northern Lights and Marrow for St. Vincent).
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Gesundheit!

Saw the Tragically Hip at the Fillmore last night. There were hockey jerseys everywhere and I got properly schnockered on Yukon Jack (which fucking sucks). Nadia actually got me into these guys like 15 years ago, serving her duty as IRC #megaman Canadian cultural ambassador. It was one of the best shows I've seen in years.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Saw the Tragically Hip at the Fillmore last night. There were hockey jerseys everywhere and I got properly schnockered on Yukon Jack (which fucking sucks). Nadia actually got me into these guys like 15 years ago, serving her duty as IRC #megaman Canadian cultural ambassador. It was one of the best shows I've seen in years.
I haven't seen the Hip since the Fully Completely tour. :/
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM
gatchapon 3*

I saw Trombone Shorty last night. He is so fucking good at his craft, and easily the best horn player of this generation, on the level of the Marsailis brothers or the Jazz greats.

The party was funky as fuck, and pure new orleans street jazz. goddamned beautiful.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
I saw Trombone Shorty last night. He is so fucking good at his craft, and easily the best horn player of this generation, on the level of the Marsailis brothers or the Jazz greats.

The party was funky as fuck, and pure new orleans street jazz. goddamned beautiful.
Wow. I am incredibly jealous! I saw Trombone Shorty about a year ago, and it easily was the best concert experience I have ever had. His energy on stage just feeds into the crowd and his band, and his talent level is astounding.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM
gatchapon 3*

yeah, i saw him at new years last year too, and have basically resolved that i'll see him wherever he is if its within 100 mi.

Tags
italo disco