The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
This ties into the whole "who did they get" thing. Having Q-Bert and Pac Man in the background is great, but it'll ring hollow to me if they don't also get, say, Donkey Kong. Someone upthread mentioned Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Okay, but imagine they couldn't get Disney to sign off on that movie. Who does Bugs Bunny argue with? Woody Woodpecker*? It wouldn't have had the same impact.
And of course, while Bugs argued a little bit with Mickey, they had a combined screentime of about thirty seconds. Donald and Daffy were not much better off.

But just like Roger Rabbit, though, I would much rather have them get the spirit of retro games than slavish accuracy in cameos and major characters. Any retro appearances after that is just gravy, even if they're just as "minor" as Q*Bert's gang.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM
certified comics master

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I didn't like Tangled at all when I saw it, but all the complements I've seen thrown at it subsequently make me wonder if I should give it another chance in case it caught me in one of my moods.
I was pretty underwhelmed by Tangled myself, actually. I don't think it's terrible, but it was a VERY by-the-numbers Disney tropefest (with a sprinkling of Shrek 2) that ended up being disappointing after hearing so much high praise for it. After watching it with a friend who saw it before and loved it, I couldn't help but think, "That's it?" Not to mention the problems I have with Mother Goethel's motivations.

And yeah, I don't like Cars, either. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would when I saw it in theaters, but I think it's easily Pixar's worst film.

I must hate fun!
...Nah. I just don't like those two movies.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

Disney needs to release a free iOS/PSP/3DS downloadable game with a few levels of Fix It Felix Jr.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
I. Love. It.

The only thing I need to know about this flick is that it's a feature film that will have Bowser and, probably, Dr. Wily in it.

Ralph would have to leap off the screen and punch the audience in the nads to keep me from seeing it.

It's true they could easily screw the flick up, but I think we can agree we'll probably all go see it?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM

It's like Disney has been reading Talking Time.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
And yeah, I don't like Cars, either. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would when I saw it in theaters, but I think it's easily Pixar's worst film.

I must hate fun!
To be fair, Cars is pretty boring. Not offensive, not bad, just boring.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Not a Beer

This looks neat!

(Since I didn't get in 'til page two, my initial thoughts have pretty much been covered, including the obligatory nerd nitpick that the psuedo-retro game in the teaser had way too long an intro cinematic for that time period, and minor amazement that they seem to have gotten at least Namco, Capcom, and Nintendo on board to share characters. Some of these companies are pretty damn protective of their IP, but then, I guess Disney still has a lot of cachet in Japan.)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
is Earnest

And Sega.

Disney took some artistic license with the retro game, but that they even made a fake retro game in the first place is pretty amazing.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
I'm interested in how many actual retro game characters will be in this, as opposed to You Know Who This Is Basically But We Didn't Get The Rights To Use His/Her/Its Likeness.
This is what will make this a Must See Day One for me. Also, the whole "Bowser's in it" angle. I'm already really looking forward to this.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Follow the fuck-man

Why is Zangief the bad guy and not akuma or m bison?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Cars in particular was made for major enthusiasts of automobiles & automobile history, and it threw in some additional nostalgia for Route 66 lore. For those of us who aren't heavily into that, a lot of the movie's subtler jokes flew over our heads.

I've mentioned it before when this topic comes up -- but I have an older friend who's a really-big vehicle enthusiast, and Cars ended up being among his favorite movies. (Have yet to see the second, but I believe he also liked it quite a bit.) I remember, before I even saw the first film, this friend of mine spent some time explaining some of the references I wouldn't've gotten -- and, yeah, they did click better for me when I saw them. [... except, coming to think of it now, those references may be tied to a fair amount of essentialism.]

I imagine that for him, Cars was another Toy Story, just with a different set of subtle references. [I was about to suggest "think how you would react to Toy Story, if you didn't have any nostalgia tied to the featured toys" -- but, I'm finding that hard to do, actually; thanks to said nostalgia, I think I've been spoiled from being able to even think about the film from that angle.]

I believe Wreck-It Ralph here could potentially face the same challenge to some degree: enthusiasts of video games (and in particular, arcade history) might love the film, while those who aren't enthusiasts might not understand a lot of the references & could complain about the story's quality as a result. [We already saw that to some degree with Scott Pilgrim vs. the World -- though, on account of Wreck-It Ralph being a Pixar film, it should fare significantly better in the box office.]

Last edited by Warg; 06-06-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Er, actually, about "Pixar" -- see Chu's comment below.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
Why is Zangief the bad guy and not akuma or m bison?
He was a villain once, remember?

"Quick, change das channel!"
Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 AM
certified comics master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
though, on account of Wreck-It Ralph being a Pixar film
I realize our off-topic comments might have made it confusing, but Wreck-It Ralph isn't a Pixar movie! It's just Disney.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

... !

Well! I stand corrected.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Find Your Reason

Wreck-It Ralph isn't Pixar, though, it's Disney Animation Studios. Which has put out stuff like Tangled AND Meet The Robinsons. So.

That said, I don't get all the nitpicking at how "the retro game wasn't retro enough." Cartoons in the 40s didn't have anything that even resembled the animation techniques or technical skill at display in Roger Rabbit's "Baby Herman" shorts, and no one cried foul.

It's a movie that we didn't know about until now, and it was made to appeal to our very tiny, economically-limited niche, and it has confirmed appearances from extremely specific video game icons, and yet people complain about the most superficial aspects of the teaser ad. It's not even footage from the film itself. Ugh.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
23 ski-dook

Nerds, man. Nerds.

Here's the teaser, yo!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
I realize our off-topic comments might have made it confusing, but Wreck-It Ralph isn't a Pixar movie! It's just Disney.
According to some people they're the same people...

Anyway, I'm super excited about this.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I. Love. It.

Default I was just gonna post that!

Weeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

Well here it is on the youtubes!

Loving it so far.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 AM
New Video World is out!

I thought it was "Zan-gee-ev".

WHY DOESN'T THE VIDEOGAME LOOK OR SOUND LIKE A VIDEOGAME FROM ITS INTENDED ERA
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:

Cause those games all look and sound terrible and you need to make a movie for general audiences, not the niche freaks who demand fidelity...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
borgn

Is that Sinistar in the trailer too?

Quote:
ha hoo whahahaha what

Last edited by Wolfgang; 06-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I say thee neigh

Quote:

Because dedicating additional time to making it look more plausibly old and cruddy is an act that would appeal to a handful of people, about half of which complained about it in this thread already.

Teaser looks pretty nice. Also guys Zangief is totally a bad guy; he's a commiel. He's just low key and not particularly malicious. Wrestler who bites dudes=BAD GUY.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Banned

?????????
Old 06-06-2012, 11:51 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Cause those games all look and sound terrible and you need to make a movie for general audiences, not the niche freaks who demand fidelity...
Yeah, 'cos the kids love Q-Bert. Come on, it would have been less effort to make something authentic.

You know Pixar would have bothered.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Yeah, 'cos the kids love Q-Bert. Come on, it would have been less effort to make something authentic.

Madhair, you do realize that this statement makes you sound like a humorless killjoy, yes? I mean, I'm sure you're not! But that's the impression you're inadvertently giving us.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
23 ski-dook

I'm pretty sure Q-Bert and Pac-Man and all the other '80s game characters are there for the parents in the audience who remember playing those popular games back when they were relevant, while the Street Fighter and Mega Man stuff is more for the age range that makes up a majority of this forum. The Sonic stuff is more than likely a shout-out to the younger folks in the audience.

Getting this wide range of cameos together means they're trying to appeal to a general audience instead of the specific group of folks who can look at a demonic penis monster riding a gilded chariot and not bat an eye.

Of course, none of this will mean anything if the story is garbage, but here's hoping it's solid.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
Madhair, you do realize that this statement makes you sound like a humorless killjoy, yes? I mean, I'm sure you're not! But that's the impression you're inadvertently giving us.
Just my take on it. I don't think it looks all that exciting. I mean yay, it's cool to see Bowser and stuff, and the ghost from Pac-Man has a naturalistic voice, that's pretty funny I guess. Cos you'd expect him to sound like a ghost! But, no. I dunno, it's not doing anything for me. Ralph seems kind of boring a character, the references aren't making me crap my pants from the joy of recognition. I don't really like the animation style. Just working with what I'm given, really. Might turn out good. I just find the front-loading of the cameos to be a bit pandering. And I think they should have made the game look more like a game!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:

It took a lot of effort to make Mega Man 9 and 10. Inafune himself said that the team had to consciously keep itself from applying modern design and resources in order to make them "legit."

And no, kids don't care who Q*Bert is. Just like the kids who went to see Toy Story 3 have probably never played with rag dolls. The movie is aimed at people who could have lived long enough to be nostalgic for these things And, I'm guessing, mid-to-late thirtysomethings that rememebr these games from their childhood, left the scene, and only have vague memories of video games. It might be that we, who have kept up with video games throughout our lives, aren't even the real target audience.

Quote:
But for better or worse, Pixar isn't making this movie. We don't know if they would have bothered. So it's rather pointless to complain that a certain group of people isn't doing something that we didn't even know existed until just now.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoWeasel View Post
Getting this wide range of cameos together means they're trying to appeal to a general audience instead of the specific group of folks who can look at a demonic penis monster riding a gilded chariot and not bat an eye.
Which is why Internet people hate Disney but love terrible webcomics that focus solely on incredibly obscure game references. "We're anything but a general audience, maaaaan, we have refined sensibilities."
Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
And of course, while Bugs argued a little bit with Mickey, they had a combined screentime of about thirty seconds. Donald and Daffy were not much better off.
The piano duel is the best part of that whole movie and I don't care who says otherwise.

Tags
alex trebek-it ralph , going turbo , i'm gonna wreck it! , italo disco , nitpicking , same as it ever was