The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM

Yo I wasn't down for My Hero Academia cuz I thought mainstream shit was LAAAAME but all my friends watch it so I checked it out and it's really fuckin good.

I've cried almost every episode

Izuku Midoriya is an exemplary protagonist and the shows themes encompass a very particular part of my life that really effect me. As someone who has struggled with a disability (Dyspraxia) that inhibits my ability to complete tasks that are easy for other people since I was a child the Quirk/Quirkless dichotomy is really effective. Izuku's growth in the first 10 episodes reminded me of myself to an uncanny extent. Really excited to see where his character goes.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Yamato 2202 - I gotta say, Kodai's hot pink hover-convertible is both not what I expected and extremely on point.

Wotakoi is 100% my "this show has no business being this good" show for this season. It does such a good job of writing its main characters as adults who are total disasters but also adults, and that's refreshing. The most recent episode includes the B-couple casually arranging to spend the night, and then in the second half working through resentment over skipping Christmas the year before.

It's 100% romcom trash but it's shockingly well-written romcom trash.

Last edited by Egarwaen; 05-17-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:40 PM

What I liked about My Hero Academia is that it has a real nice pacing. The boring "growth" parts are often shortened to half an episode and the focus is on showing the results of the growth instead.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well, I’m, like, twelve years late, but I finally watched and finished Gurren Lagann.

Show gets kind of silly near the end there, eh? Pretty wild. Pretty... wild.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:04 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Speaking of, you need to watch Tiger Mask W. It's... high tier Octo.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Speaking of, you need to watch Tiger Mask W. It's... high tier Octo.
Co-signed.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Starts with your heart

This will lead Octo to a higher love: that of a man for King of Sports New Japan Pro Wrestling
Old 05-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

Gurren Lagann taught me the important lesson that if you believe in yourself, even a little mole can suddenly evolve into a little boy. And your sunglasses will spontaneously become very silly looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
This will lead Octo to a higher love: that of a man for King of Sports New Japan Pro Wrestling
I already have the Dirty Pair OAV on its way to me and a quick glance at the episode list seems to imply that this is a road I chose to walk down myself.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Phantastic Oil

Octo, I don't want to oversell this, but within two minutes of Tiger Mask W starting the protagonist is hanging upside down and wrestling bears for training.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Tiger Mask W definitely screams peak-Octo

I get giddy everytime I imagine announcer-lady shouting "TIGER ZA DAAARKU"
Old 05-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Tiger Mask W definitely screams peak-Octo

I get giddy everytime I imagine announcer-lady shouting "TIGER ZA DAAARKU"
The Tiger Masks themselves are the most hilarious fucking things in the world too. They look like they're permanently in a state of dull surprise.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Remember that moment when Tiger the Dark did a move where he both knee'd Tiger the Third in the face, AND did a heel-drop AT THE SAME TIME??? Because I remember. It was glorious

Old 05-19-2018, 10:52 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Tiger Mask W is mostly bad looking and mostly boring, but every once and a while a man named Tiger The Dark has to wrestle his way up the side of a mountain, or some dude's hand is so strong that nothing can escape his EVIL CLAW GRIP. It is incredible. The last episode is a weird epilogue thing that has next to nothing to do with the main character, but it serves as a kind of a soft pitch for a different show and though I know it will never happen I WISH IT DID AND SOON

The Record of Lodoss War OVA is on Crunchyroll, apparently?! That's a show I always wanted to watch when I was younger but I never really found a way to make that happen. It's a 90s OVA, so it's exactly what you expect; things move quickly, you feel like tiny bits and pieces of the story are missing, but it looks great and the main character is Medieval Trunks. Actually he's probably more Medieval Ky Kiske. I'm enjoying it!
Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 AM
Inherently Stealthy

I’m with you there, Alixsar - I really want “Spring Tiger’s womens’ wrestling Promotion - the show”

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road