The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Gotta Boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
Even the offline scripted invaders are going to be a challenge in this, eh? Just went back to FOTFG to explore an area I hadn't previously bothered with and was swiftly and effortlessly silenced by Armorer Dennis.
Just wait till you hit Undead Purgatory.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Binglebottom

Do you mean the crypt? Undead purgatory is the circus + chariot boss. I don't recall any black phantoms there except the one guarding the fog gate.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:00 PM
contains words & diagrams

Yeah but boy that one guy is a real fucker!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Gotta Boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
Do you mean the crypt? Undead purgatory is the circus + chariot boss. I don't recall any black phantoms there except the one guarding the fog gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
Yeah but boy that one guy is a real fucker!
That's who I meant. Your first taste of real Black Phantom fuckery.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Binglebottom

Oh. I walked up and just hit 'em four times. :S Maybe I caught them on an off day.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Gotta Boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
Oh. I walked up and just hit 'em four times. :S Maybe I caught them on an off day.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 AM
Frightful Hobgoblin

No you made a hundred trips from Majula to Heide because you didn't spot the bonfire clearly visible from the area's entrance.

Ed: I feel like I'm in the midst of the good stuff, now. It has taken about 8 hours to get here, but Huntsman's Copse and No-Man's Wharf are Soulsian areas - I'm reassured that I'm playing the right game as I explore these wonderfully devious, dangerous, trap-laden puzzle-boxes and gauntlets. De-nerf the starting characters and put areas like these up-front and the game would be eminently more enjoyable from the off.

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 02-06-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Binglebottom

On NG+ now, and I'm noticing that they've changed some of the black phantom appearances.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:36 PM
GRAPE=NUTS

Those are some really cool shots! The angles remind me of PS1-era Final Fantasy.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:55 PM

These shots kind of make me want to exterminate every enemy in the game so I can make relaxing video tours of all the environments.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM
100% All Original

New world record speedrun:

Improved version: http://vmashup.com/olRsvxCJ
Old 04-16-2018, 09:42 PM
d.o_o.b

Despite putting hundreds of hours into the rest of the games, I never bothered playing Scholar or the DLC for Dark Souls II. I finally, out of some stupid compulsion, decided to finish seeing what this game has to offer, and having finished it, I'm only happy that I'll never feel the need to play it again. It's really difficult for me to separate how many of my problems with the game are a result of the level and encounter design, and how many of them are just a dislike of the base mechanics. There are definitely things like Fume Knight that I'd be perfectly fine with in any of the other games, but which feel like hateful chores in with this game's stamina consumption/regeneration. And the active frames on enemy attacks just feel off in everything but the DLC areas.

Nearly fifty hours of this shit, and the only areas I can think of that I actively enjoyed are No Man's Wharf, The Gutter, and Eleum Loyce. The Frigid Outskirts was almost fun, but getting suckerpunched for half my health when the horses showed for the reward of a tedious boss fight kind of lowered my regard for it. I don't know why I felt obligated to see this through. Fuck me, I guess.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Oh hey, I finally finished this a couple weeks ago! There were bits of the game that felt like sort of a slog, but frankly, that's what I expected given the series' reputation. I'm now going through the DLCs in release order; I've finished Crown of the Sunken King and am working my way through Crown of the Old Iron King. Most of the (non boss) enemies in Sunken King seemed pretty easy to deal with compared to the enemies near the end of the base game, but on reflection I suppose that makes sense; after all, the DLCs are accessible long before the endgame does, so it makes sense that the combat in them wouldn't be quite as difficult.

Overall I've had quite a bit of fun with the game, and it was fun to explore the different locations in the game; some of the environments were really neat. I was especially fond of the areas you find in the big pit, and the way the progress from catacombs to the ramshackle verticle shantytown of the Gutter and culminating in the alien subterranean environment of Black Gulch. The two endgame castles and their connected zones were quite interesting to explore, as well.

I do find it kind of odd that the vistas that greet you when you first enter Shulva or Brume Tower are more impressive-looking than almost all of the scenes from the main game. There's just something really cool about seeing a big subterranean city or a flaming tower in the distance and being all "yep, I'm gonna go check that place out now."

So far I haven't had any major complaints about the combat or encounter design, mostly because I'm pretty bad at action games so I constantly expected combat to be frustrating and sort of janky, and my basic approach to encounter design was to find cheesy ways to subvert the intended design whenever possible (usually by abusing ranged attacks whenever possible).

In general, there were a few things which I found made things much easier for me as the game progressed:

- Obtaining offensive magic was a big one. Most offensive miracles are pretty weak, considering how few casts you get, but being able to do significant damage from range was useful in a lot of circumstances. Also, despite its random area of effect, I found Heavenly Thunder to be really effective against large enemies or large groups of enemies. Later on, branching out into hexes was incredibly useful, with Dark Orb and Resonant Soul being my go-to single target spells. Going from 3 casts with miracles to 22 casts with hexes was a big deal.

- Combat also became much easier once I found the Drangleic Shield with its 100% physical damage resistance. Once I was no longer taking chip damage from enemy attacks, it became a lot easier to wait for an opportune time to attack, or get into position to backstab.

- A ways upthread, Galadrome said that Dark Souls 2 is a game about blasting, and I think I'm inclined to agree. Keeping my weapons upgraded was probably my single most efficient way to use souls and other resources throughout the game. Upgraded catalysts (especially with appropriate elemental imbuements) are also great. While I got a lot of mileage out of the mace that the cleric starts with, I'm finding that thrusting swords are my weapon of choice. When they're upgraded to maximum strength and augmented with rings that increase your physical damage and poise damage, you can do a surprising amount of damage by stabbing enemies five times in a row.

- While I'm sure it's totally an item for scrubs, I really like the Ring of Life Protection. I'm sure that spending 3000 souls per use is kind of a steep price to pay for not turning hollow whenever I die, but a lot of times I find that it's worth it, both because staying human allows me to summon help if I need it, and because it's nice not to have to retrieve my souls after I die. That said, I'm not sure that preserving your humanity every time you die is all that important; I've found that there are plenty of Human Effigies available in the game, even after I used a jillion of them up while completing the Dark Chasms.

Anyway, I've had fun with Dark Souls 2, murdering monsters and exploring Drangleic. I suspect I've still got quite a bit of playtime ahead with the last 2 DLCs, but once I'm finished with them I expect I'll be done with Souls games for a while.

Tags
dark souls , from software , hell of dark , strongio , you defeated , you died