The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Hey, Shivam, here's a question for you. I put this same question to a vegan coworker the other day and she didn't know how to answer.

Would you eat vegetarian food that's cooked in an old, heavily blackened cast iron pan if you knew that part of the seasoning worn into the iron was from cooking meat in the past?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

i'm not one of those who insists that my food be prepared with different utensiles. Well, at least outside of a home. My job as a vegetarian is not to force you to change, but to be aware of the situation, and not put myself into a position where i have to come up with an answer to this kind of question.

that said, i'm not naieve. i love eating at fancy places, and i know that a chef's not gonna get a different pot for my soup, or a differen knife for my food.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Oh, it would definitely be easy and appropriate for your host to use a non-tainted set of cookware in a home situation when you're talking about stainless or non-stick or something that can be cleaned of all residue. I'm not talking about a situation where someone carelessly tosses a Boca burger onto their still-hot hamburger grease. I just wonder how vegetarians deal with cast iron specifically, as a material. It seems like a tough dilemma to me; cast iron is an incomparable material for cooking due to how evenly and powerfully it radiates heat, but the best cast iron is always the really old stuff with a surface that's been worn down smooth and seasoned to perfection. (The best pan in my household is a 10" pan made by Griswold, a company that stopped making pans 53 years ago.) And you can assume, of course, that pans like that have been used to cook meat countless times, because this is America and we didn't know what vegetables were until 2004.

So, if the pan and utensils were clean and there were no meat products involved in that night's menu, would you personally avoid using old cast iron wares in your kitchen because of the high likelihood that there are atomized animal fat residues bonded to the metal?

tl;dr If you found this at a thrift store for next to nothing, would you feel alright about using it for your own food?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
gatchapon 3*

yes, i would. why? because it doesnt matter what was cooked on it. I didn't cook it, kill it, eat it, or cause it to be cooked, killed, or eaten. A pan has a dharma like anything else does--why fault it for being used for its purpose? In the ancient ancient days, it would have mattered, but in those days drinking water offered by a lower caste was a sin too.

Man, a tool's a tool. Use the best one for the job.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Interesting. Not the answer I expected, but it makes sense.

Spending a lot of time with strict vegans, and hearing how obsessively they talk about being vegan and finding vegan options, has unfortunately given me a skewed perspective on vegans and vegetarians alike. I feel like if I were a strict vegetarian, I would be tempted to take a more pedantic line of thinking, and I'd refuse to use old cast iron because I know that those abstract "meat" particles must be making their way into my food on a microscopic level. But maybe that's my own failure to think about it with a wider lens... or my assumption that all vegetarians are as pedantic as my most insufferably, vocally vegan friends.

I guess I just have to stop trusting anyone who doesn't eat cheese.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Gettin' dizzy

You just wanted to bait him into saying "Ew meat!". :P

For shame.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJimm View Post
You just wanted to bait him into saying "Ew meat!". :P

For shame.
Baiting vegans is a national pastime.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

No, I just wanted to see if a secular moral vegan and a religious vegetarian would differ significantly on how they negotiate this question. And they do. Now I know.

When I asked my coworker if she would avoid the aforementioned old pan, she looked kind of grossed out and said, "uh, I guess? I don't know." My impression is that she would indeed avoid it, but she wanted to sound noncommittal because she thought I was judging her. (Spoiler: I was.) But it was still not as unilateral a response as I was expecting.

Last edited by Ethan; 07-19-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
gatchapon 3*

dude, its a fucking pan. I'm no jain that i need to wear a linen mask to filter out the microbes i might breathe in, or walk with a fan to brush away the insects where i might walk, so that i don't crush them. They're so hardcore that they don't even eat root vegetables, as harvesting them kills the plant they come from.

Yes, i have my limits. If you just used that pan to cook your steak, i dont want you to make my food with it. But if you washed it? Good enough for me. Otherwise, even walking by a mcdonalds would be a problem, for fear of inhaling meat particles.

It's intent that matters. I don't intend to eat meat, and god willing i avoid it at all costs. Shit like pots and pans is utterly inconsequential.

Hell, i even know jews who keep separate pans for milk and meat. I'm not like that.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

I know that (some?) Jains also don't eat bulb vegetables like onions and garlic, though I'm not clear why. I thought it was because you kill a whole organism when you pull a plant out of the ground, but now the internet is telling me it's because they don't want to cause the deaths of underground organisms by depriving them of food.

A life without caramelized onions. Why even go on living?

But yeah, I think the importance of intent is the key difference. Vegans seem to deal with people who intend to appease their veganness all the time, but if they taste something that seems unusually rich and they suspect the cook used a bit of butter in it, they will be disgusted and exasperated, and they will discuss the stupidity of the cook forever.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Otherwise, even walking by a mcdonalds would be a problem, for fear of inhaling meat particles.
Oh my god we need to start telling this to vegans everywhere immediately. It would be hilarious.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Love and Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Brand View Post
I know that (some?) Jains also don't eat bulb vegetables like onions and garlic, though I'm not clear why. I thought it was because you kill a whole organism when you pull a plant out of the ground, but now the internet is telling me it's because they don't want to cause the deaths of underground organisms by depriving them of food.
I don't know about that. After all, by that logic, Jains really shouldn't be able to eat anything.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 AM
gatchapon 3*

Jains don't eat bulbs and roots because it kills the plant when they harvest them. endpoint. They survive on fruits, veggies that come off the plant, and lentils and grains and things. This is why jains became incredibly talented and rich merchants, traders, and craftsmen--they were pretty much unable to farm.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Yeah, worrying about tools that were once long ago used for meat but have been thoroughly cleaned (even something like a seasoned pan) seems akin to believing in homeopathy. Not only do the few molecules of meat you might injest not cause any additional killing of animals, your body isn't even going to notice them.

(Disclaimer: I am not a vegetarian, but my wife is. Not vegan, though. We'd starve without our dairy products and eggs...)
Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 PM

My co-worker's mom recently taught me how to make Chinese-style vegetables. I added my own flair by adding fresh garlic to the ginger sauteé party!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Kerberos Panzer Corps

Today's breakfast: egg and bacon sandwich and half a litre of Red Bull from the store. I hate those days I get off at midnight and start work at 09 the day after.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 AM
punch a fish, make a wish

I was using my apple slicer and this happened:

even though I am not an apple, I also ended up sliced!!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinaran View Post
Today's breakfast: egg and bacon sandwich and half a litre of Red Bull from the store. I hate those days I get off at midnight and start work at 09 the day after.
Right after high school I worked at a grocery store that was really bad about stuff like that. I would pretty regularly be scheduled to work till midnight (which usually meant I was there till 12:30 or 1am) and then be scheduled to come in the next day at 9am. Less commonly, I would work have a shift till midnight and then come in at 7am.

When you get home at 1am by the time you eat dinner and settle down enough to get to bed and then have to get up for work at 6am you're not a terribly pleasant fellow.

tl;dr I sympathize.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Korean corn tea is really good on ice.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM
certified comics master

I was surprised to see a bag of sausages skewered on bones for sale at the grocery store the other day.

Also now that school lunches are no longer being served for summer break, my lunches are going to become way less healthy. But the stuff at the grocery store's bakery is sooooo good! Freshly-fried curry bread and honey lemon cakes? GOD YES
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

reheated rice got so much better when I figured out you should leave the lid on in addition to adding water!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
reheated rice got so much better when I figured out you should leave the lid on in addition to adding water!
I haven't tried it yet, but my girlfriend swears by freezing and not refrigerating (and not having to add water - it freezes there so the rice doesn't have a chance to dry out in the first place).
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

we have the lab fridge cranked down all the way, so it might've frozen anyway. I'll keep that in mind for future/home use though
Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 PM

my girlfriend's off having adventures with her friend in San Jose, and she keeps sending me messages about all the amazing food she's eating. she is incredibly cruel. :[

WHY CAN'T I HAVE HORCHATA ICE CREAM
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

My aunt writes letters to my mom and her sisters a couple times a year and I got sent a copy of the last one which includes a bunch of my Granny and Great Granny's recipes. They're pretty awesome because they are super vague on measurements and cooking times and stuff. I'm pretty pumped about making the chicken and dumplings and cinnamon rolls. Hopefully they turn out :\
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
David the Gnome Rides Me

My wife and her friend are going to Philadelphia and Baltimore soon. They've been trying to figure out some good restaurants to eat at. So I figured I'd ask her to see if anybody has any recommendations.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Little Waves

Avocado smoothie.

Avocado smoothie.

Avocado smoothie.

Repent.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 AM

I can only make it through half of an avocado smoothie before I start feeling power queasy.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:34 AM
World of Darkness Returns

So Wendy's has totally fucked up their breakfasts.

I usually just grab a chicken biscuit + hash browns occasionally on the way to work when my morning banana isn't cutting it. Showing up this morning, they no longer have the chicken biscuit on their menu; hash browns have been replaced with fucking potato wedges. Not only that, the menu no longer has combo numbers, so everyone has to yell each individual item to the cashier. I guess I'll be sticking to donuts from now on.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Little Waves

The Widow Maker Burger at Claim Jumper last night. It had avocado, too.

I don't know how I missed this before June, but Californians love avocados. It's a thing.

Anyway, I felt like Shaggy trying to engage this thing.

Tags
death spores , food , not worth its own plate , not worth its own thread