The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Somebody graffiti'd a carving of Jesus on the cross in a church to look like the Joker. That's it
zowie wowie what a twist

can't believe social media picked up on a painting of batman's dick instead of this depraved church vandalism
Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
zowie wowie what a twist

can't believe social media picked up on a painting of batman's dick instead of this depraved church vandalism
Nerds have been discovering that God isn't real for decades. Basic acceptance of sexual reality, however, is still novel
Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I think understanding the spread of this on social media primarily in the context of nerds is not quite right.

Batman is an incredibly popular and well known character. So, an official painting of Batman's dick is something that's exciting to a much broader audience than church vandalism in a prestige else-worlds story.

If anything I think this gets things exactly reversed: Only relatively engaged Batman fans are invested in the story behind the vandalism of this elsewords church, while a much broader swath of people with more casual interest in Batman think it's hot/hilarious/weird that DC released a painting of his penis.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:07 PM

I'm very uninterested in the story of bat-dick, because it's a pretty obvious stepping stone to get to where they really want: cat-pussy.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 AM
Space Prez

What a week for nerds and penis.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:31 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

DC has said that Batman's dick will be removed from future printings of the book, but like, guys, you fucked up. You can't put this back in the bag. You showed us what Batman's dick looks like and you can't go back to a world where you haven't.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
DC has said that Batman's dick will be removed from future printings of the book, but like, guys, you fucked up. You can't put this back in the bag. You showed us what Batman's dick looks like and you can't go back to a world where you haven't.
Of course they can! That's what universe-wide reboots are for.

Looking forward to Zero Dicks Hour.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Senhor Member

Well now I feel like I really ought to buy the paintings of Batman’s dick, but also it is too late. D*ng. D*ng!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

It’s kind of like when DC published a comic showing the WTC being demolished by aliens in a comic that came out the day before 9/11, so for every reprint they replaced it with the Lexcorp building.

Except with a dong.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
The direct market is probably praising DC for giving them a print exclusive.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:22 PM
poisonous thread snake

Man, there's a surreal Franco-Belgian comic where a Batman-analog (complete with spikey ear horn things) has his dick out in full force. I'm pretty sure Catalan put it out in English in the 80s. It really pains me that I can't think of it right now...
Old 09-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Half-Ninja

So, the dick is going back in the box?
Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

What is the point of the DC gritty reboot line except to show a bat dick or two, seriously I don't understand why they can't abide this
Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Senhor Member

Are the four old Batman movies really only going to be on DC Universe until the 30th? I don’t want to watch them before then! Give me some time to think about it! I will still have my subscriptions for two weeks next September, though.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Senhor Member

I’ve read all of Grayson and started the subsequent Nightwing book. I’m surprised at how much I like the latter less, considering it shares a writer with the former. Were all the jokes about how Dick Grayson is hot Tom King’s? Truly a genius. Still, I like it!

One thing I’ll say is that Nightwing spends too much time reflecting on the Kryptonian metaphor of his name, when actually he’s called Nightwing because it sounds cool and we swear to god he’s not gay.

Anyway, I guess they’re just gonna keep saying Blüdhaven in the comic, because that’s a town’s name.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Senhor Member

Just found out that Superboy used to be the biological son of Superman and Lex Luthor. Fucked up that they changed that, wow.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM
Find Your Reason

Son or clone? Last I heard (and by that I mean the Superboy created by Cadmus for Reign of the Supermen, who was killed by Superboy Prime, and who then got better) he was very specifically the latter.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

And you still have the Young Justice TV show even if it did change in the comics anyway.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

Clone, but made of Clark and Lexs DNA, and both call him son, so... that counts.

Also, I’ve been reading the Court of Owls and holy damn, was all of Snyder’s Batman run like this, because it is great.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:02 PM

There has been a lot of Superboys over the years. Just because there are new versions, doesn't mean the old ones are now invalid/didn't happen. Comics are weird.

Court of Owls starts out promising, and it ends in a really dumb way. Specifically, the whole thing is an excuse for Bruce Wayne secret brother; bringing Owlman out of Earth 3 into the N52 but is almost instantly undermined by Actual Earth 3 Owlman simply showing up and it is never talked about or discussed again.

Court of Owls is also a very insulting idea too. As if Batman, "World's Greatest Detective" wouldn't notice this giant criminal conspiracy all around him his entire life. Or shit like not noticing an entire missing floor in his own tower. Scott Snyder Batman stories usually start out with novel ideas and then just go to stupid-town IMO.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:03 PM
This Guy

Conner will be back.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Senhor Member

Isn’t Conner a clone of Clark’s and Lois’s son now? Please understand my understanding of DC continuity is: I don’t have any.

NEway I support any Superboy (I’ve just decided) but especially the ones with two dads.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:19 PM
This Guy

Conner Kent is the leather jacket/sunglasses 90's Superboy who was a clone of Superman and Lex Luthor. I am uncertain of his current state of existence and current parentage, as he got pretty fully rebooted with the New 52 and then disappeared because the new version sucked. He had his own series in the 90's that was fine 90's comics. He was also in Young Justice, which is the best young DC superhero book. He also starred in Teen Titans for a long time, which varies from fine to dear God what are they doing.

Jonathan Kent is the son of Superman and Lois Lane and current (as of a few months ago) Superboy. Other than timeline questions (hooooo boy) about when Lois and Clark had a kid, he really isn't confusing. He's just a kid.

Also, sometimes when Superman was a boy he was Superboy. But sometimes he wasn't.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Find Your Reason

And then there was Superboy from Earth Prime ("our" Earth before we were all erased from existence by Crisis of Infinite Earths). He punched reality in the face so hard he created brand new origin stories for many characters and erased events DC didn't like from the timeline, then became the embodiment of Reddit and Twitter fanboys, then grew up into Superman Prime because of a rights dispute over the "Superboy" name, then threatened to "I'll kill you to death!" and joined up with the Sinestro Corps.

I THINK he went away with Flashpoint too, but since he once raided the DC Comics offices and threatened the real-life staff, they'll probably bring him back around at some point.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Senhor Member

excuse me, what?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:40 PM
This Guy

Superboy Prime is the best/worst. He is the product of a handful of Crises and is one of the most brilliantly cynical and cynically brilliant things DC has ever done. Superboy Prime started as the Superboy from Earth Prime, the real world, brought into the comics during Crisis on Infinite Earths so Superman could team up with Superboy. At the end he joined the Golden Age Superman and Lois Lane in some kind of heaven for twenty years. But looking down on the DC universe from heaven he got mad at how the characters were being ruined so he punched a hole in reality to come back and try to fix things. That did what Zef said. He is basically a cosmically powerful whiny fanboy. He is one half strawman for DC writers (Geoff Johns) to complain about entitled fans and one half perfect mirror held up to whiny entitled fans.

He also ended up in the far future as the Legion of Superheroes villain the Time Trapper, but he was killed by a younger time traveling version of himself which created a time paradox and ended up with him depowered and living in his parents basement.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Superboy Prime is the best/worst.

He really is.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Space Prez

I've always had the idea that Superboy Prime was the Superboy from the live-action series, but it seems that CoIE would be a little to early to use that as a tie-in. Anyway, here's whiny teen Superboy from an Earth with no other super-people.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:30 PM

Superboy Prime is amazing/awful/amazing. Onetime he tore the arm off of a superhero, screamed at him, "Why did you make me do this!?" and then beat that hero to death with his own arm. He also one time decided he needed an S-logo really bad but didn't have an outfit, so he burned one into his own chest.

Superboy Prime is also, IIRC, the inspiration for the best Superman comic ever: Secret Identity, which I personally read as a rehabilitation of Superboy Prime. Everyone should read Secret Identity.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Find Your Reason

Kurt Busiek's Secret Identity is definitely in the top 3 Superman books of all time, a standalone story in a real-ish world where, again, a boy named Kent is jokingly given the first name "Clark" by his parents, with all the teasing that this entails. It's absolutely amazing and awe-striking, but it was published very shortly before Infinite Crisis* so it's not really related, nor does it have any continuity with any other DC stories. It does its own thing with the concept of Superman and it's all the better for it.

(* Hell, Secret Identity was completed scant months before Identity Crisis came and screwed the DC Universe irreparably, as a sort of "last hurrah" of the era of positive, bright, uplifting stories about superheroes before the grimdark took over.)

Tags
chortle at batman's boner , chortle at joker's boner , clark kent is sup-*bang* , comics , crisis on infinite dicks , detective comics , detective comics comics , don’t ask just buy it , i am baytor , just read mark waid books , superman is worst hero , tales from the krypton