The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 09-16-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I've been bitten by the need to build

Quote:
Yeah, so I wanted to share pictures of Gundam Alex, which I'm suuuuper proud of. But I also wanted to share how the Ground Type came out, in a way that recognizes that Alex would not be as good as it is if I hadn't made loads and loads of mistakes trying new techniques on Ground Type.
That's the great part of building. Mistakes aren't really mistakes. They're just lessons that teach you how to do better the next time. And it's super rewarding to be able to avoid those mistakes and visibly see the progress you've made. Building is the best. Gunpla is freedom!

Quote:
So here it is. Several hours of work learning a few GIMP tools, downloading fonts, googling for Gundam sound effects, and now the nerdiest thing I've ever created exists.
I just wanted to thank you because this was the best thing I've seen on the internet all week.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Yeah, that is totally awesome, Lancer. Nice work!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

Thanks for the kind words!
When I first started, I would build models all the time, but it turns out that it was how I was coping with my extreme stress at the time. It was one of the few ways I could keep my brain for constantly thinking about how much time I had left before I had to go back to by hellhole job. Once I got out of that job, I didn't want to build anymore because it reminded me of the stress. But recently, I started browsing gunpla posts on tumblr while at work and the dark pact was all but sealed.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 09-16-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:09 AM
Kiiiryu-chan~

Hi it's me again, thread!

A large friend arrived today yesterday:

Mazinger Z Infinity version from the pretty okay movie of the same name! He's a High Grade 1/144 kit from Bandai, too, so he's perfectly in scale with 1/144 mobile suit kits. This kit has a bunch of optional parts for recreating many of Mazinger Z's signature attacks, so I'm super glad I started keeping a ziplock bag for each kit.

Z's got just a truckload of articulation, and doesn't lose any stability for it. The wrists, shoulder joints, and ankle joints all have a lot of outward give for more flexibility. The hip joints kind of fold in and out pretty dramatically - offering a surprising range of motion. To facilitate flying poses, the head has pretty impressive vertical rotation. Aside from the usual articulation, there's also some waist rotation, some ab rotation, and some ab crunch.

My only disappointments: No way to connect the rocket burst effect directly to the elbow - you HAVE to use the included effects part base. No way to pose the Jet Scrander on its own. No Breast Fire effect part - normally I don't care about effect parts but... it's Mazinger Z's finisher, and a previous, less cool kit had one.

Pilder off for scale.

Shift change.

Iron Cutter with Rocket Punch parts.

Drill Missile parts.

Jet Scrander on.

Specialized base part for flight poses.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Not a Beer

That's a nice looking kit! Is this painted or no? I'm assuming you did the panel lining, at least on the Jet Scrander and such.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
That's a nice looking kit! Is this painted or no? I'm assuming you did the panel lining, at least on the Jet Scrander and such.
It is not painted. All I did was panel line the Jet Scrander, and silver bits. The kit's all molded the correct colors, and includes six black stickers for the few relevant spots. It also fits together really well. Like, thanks to the armor plating detils, there's nary a seamline in sight. You could easily get away with not panel lining the silver bits, too - the plates have pretty deep gaps between them, so there's already some natural shadow going on.

It's extremely expensive for a High Grade, so, I'd be mad if needed painting to look good.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I was gonna say, those armor panels are pretty damn detailed, and the extra deep grooves and gaps give it a very distinctive look. Cool kit for sure.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Not a Beer

So.... as part of Operation: Distract Myself From Feelings, I broke back out my modeling table for the first time since... (checks thread) 2016 apparently. Anybody wanna guess what I'm building? Bit obscure as it's not remotely from a main character. I picked this one out of my extensive backlog as it's an impulse purchase from a while back that's a relatively recent kit with a ton of effects parts, so it probably won't benefit much from paint. Seemed like a good way to ease back in.

(Another thing I've discovered getting back into this is... reading glasses have become a necessary accessory. *sigh* )

Last edited by Kirin; 11-25-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Not a Beer

Time's up!

GN-10000 Transient Gundam Glacier, a variant of a variant from Build Fighters Honoo Tri. Like I said, total impulse purchase, probably saw it on sale a couple years ago and thought it looked cool. Reasonably fun build though, and as I expected has very little need for any touch-up. There's places I *could* do panel-lining, but it's got so much going on already with all the purple crystal business that I don't think it would really benefit. Maybe just the GN engine on the back.

More poses thumbnailed for huge:

... now, what next from the backlog while I've got my building space set up anyway, hmmm. (Though honestly, while distractions are good right now, I also have real work I need to get back to.)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Not a Beer

....tsugi!

This one's not very well-known either. And also purple, I like purple. Different show though.

Will be a little bit before I get to actually building, ended up with plans out three nights in a row somehow.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Not a Beer

If anyone was gonna guess this one it would probably have to be Wist...

Old 12-01-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:

You have no idea how long I struggled looking at those runners

Great work on the gunpla! They're looking fantastic! It almost makes me want to get off my butt and start building again too!
Old 12-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

Quote:

I still have no idea what it is! It's adorable, though.
is it weird I think gunpla that are only a torso and head are adorable?
they're like a SRW unit icon or something

I've got a RX-78-2 to build, but I've decided I'm not touching it until I'm employed again. As a sort of joint celebration / consolation.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I still have no idea what it is! It's adorable, though.
is it weird I think gunpla that are only a torso and head are adorable?
they're like a SRW unit icon or something
That is a VGMM-Gb03 Gaeon. It is a powerful prototype G-type mobile suit from the G-IT Labs in Venus Globe in Gundam: Reconguista in G. It is actually quite the fearsome mobile suit!

It is piloted by Kia Mbeki, and gets destroyed when Kia stupidly causes a breach in the outer walls of Venus Globe and then sacrifices himself to contain it. Kia Mbeki was a stupid asshole, but he only ever wanted to do right by his people and lead them home to Earth. He is survived by Kun Soon and their unborn child.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack