The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 09-16-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I've been bitten by the need to build

Quote:
Yeah, so I wanted to share pictures of Gundam Alex, which I'm suuuuper proud of. But I also wanted to share how the Ground Type came out, in a way that recognizes that Alex would not be as good as it is if I hadn't made loads and loads of mistakes trying new techniques on Ground Type.
That's the great part of building. Mistakes aren't really mistakes. They're just lessons that teach you how to do better the next time. And it's super rewarding to be able to avoid those mistakes and visibly see the progress you've made. Building is the best. Gunpla is freedom!

Quote:
So here it is. Several hours of work learning a few GIMP tools, downloading fonts, googling for Gundam sound effects, and now the nerdiest thing I've ever created exists.
I just wanted to thank you because this was the best thing I've seen on the internet all week.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Yeah, that is totally awesome, Lancer. Nice work!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:27 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Thanks for the kind words!
When I first started, I would build models all the time, but it turns out that it was how I was coping with my extreme stress at the time. It was one of the few ways I could keep my brain for constantly thinking about how much time I had left before I had to go back to by hellhole job. Once I got out of that job, I didn't want to build anymore because it reminded me of the stress. But recently, I started browsing gunpla posts on tumblr while at work and the dark pact was all but sealed.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 09-16-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:09 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

Hi it's me again, thread!

A large friend arrived today yesterday:

Mazinger Z Infinity version from the pretty okay movie of the same name! He's a High Grade 1/144 kit from Bandai, too, so he's perfectly in scale with 1/144 mobile suit kits. This kit has a bunch of optional parts for recreating many of Mazinger Z's signature attacks, so I'm super glad I started keeping a ziplock bag for each kit.

Z's got just a truckload of articulation, and doesn't lose any stability for it. The wrists, shoulder joints, and ankle joints all have a lot of outward give for more flexibility. The hip joints kind of fold in and out pretty dramatically - offering a surprising range of motion. To facilitate flying poses, the head has pretty impressive vertical rotation. Aside from the usual articulation, there's also some waist rotation, some ab rotation, and some ab crunch.

My only disappointments: No way to connect the rocket burst effect directly to the elbow - you HAVE to use the included effects part base. No way to pose the Jet Scrander on its own. No Breast Fire effect part - normally I don't care about effect parts but... it's Mazinger Z's finisher, and a previous, less cool kit had one.

Pilder off for scale.

Shift change.

Iron Cutter with Rocket Punch parts.

Drill Missile parts.

Jet Scrander on.

Specialized base part for flight poses.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Not a Beer

That's a nice looking kit! Is this painted or no? I'm assuming you did the panel lining, at least on the Jet Scrander and such.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:39 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
That's a nice looking kit! Is this painted or no? I'm assuming you did the panel lining, at least on the Jet Scrander and such.
It is not painted. All I did was panel line the Jet Scrander, and silver bits. The kit's all molded the correct colors, and includes six black stickers for the few relevant spots. It also fits together really well. Like, thanks to the armor plating detils, there's nary a seamline in sight. You could easily get away with not panel lining the silver bits, too - the plates have pretty deep gaps between them, so there's already some natural shadow going on.

It's extremely expensive for a High Grade, so, I'd be mad if needed painting to look good.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I was gonna say, those armor panels are pretty damn detailed, and the extra deep grooves and gaps give it a very distinctive look. Cool kit for sure.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Not a Beer

So.... as part of Operation: Distract Myself From Feelings, I broke back out my modeling table for the first time since... (checks thread) 2016 apparently. Anybody wanna guess what I'm building? Bit obscure as it's not remotely from a main character. I picked this one out of my extensive backlog as it's an impulse purchase from a while back that's a relatively recent kit with a ton of effects parts, so it probably won't benefit much from paint. Seemed like a good way to ease back in.

(Another thing I've discovered getting back into this is... reading glasses have become a necessary accessory. *sigh* )

Last edited by Kirin; 11-25-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Not a Beer

Time's up!

GN-10000 Transient Gundam Glacier, a variant of a variant from Build Fighters Honoo Tri. Like I said, total impulse purchase, probably saw it on sale a couple years ago and thought it looked cool. Reasonably fun build though, and as I expected has very little need for any touch-up. There's places I *could* do panel-lining, but it's got so much going on already with all the purple crystal business that I don't think it would really benefit. Maybe just the GN engine on the back.

More poses thumbnailed for huge:

... now, what next from the backlog while I've got my building space set up anyway, hmmm. (Though honestly, while distractions are good right now, I also have real work I need to get back to.)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Not a Beer

....tsugi!

This one's not very well-known either. And also purple, I like purple. Different show though.

Will be a little bit before I get to actually building, ended up with plans out three nights in a row somehow.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Not a Beer

If anyone was gonna guess this one it would probably have to be Wist...

Old 12-01-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:

You have no idea how long I struggled looking at those runners

Great work on the gunpla! They're looking fantastic! It almost makes me want to get off my butt and start building again too!
Old 12-01-2018, 01:30 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:

I still have no idea what it is! It's adorable, though.
is it weird I think gunpla that are only a torso and head are adorable?
they're like a SRW unit icon or something

I've got a RX-78-2 to build, but I've decided I'm not touching it until I'm employed again. As a sort of joint celebration / consolation.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I still have no idea what it is! It's adorable, though.
is it weird I think gunpla that are only a torso and head are adorable?
they're like a SRW unit icon or something
That is a VGMM-Gb03 Gaeon. It is a powerful prototype G-type mobile suit from the G-IT Labs in Venus Globe in Gundam: Reconguista in G. It is actually quite the fearsome mobile suit!

It is piloted by Kia Mbeki, and gets destroyed when Kia stupidly causes a breach in the outer walls of Venus Globe and then sacrifices himself to contain it. Kia Mbeki was a stupid asshole, but he only ever wanted to do right by his people and lead them home to Earth. He is survived by Kun Soon and their unborn child.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Well...
I finished that Gundam Ground Type I kept mentioning. I primed it, hand-painted it with enamels, detailed it, and the top-coated it. It's not super great. I've got another three model kits coming because I've been bitten by the need to build, so I'll live. One of my favorites, Gundam Alex, from the absolutely mandatory 0080 War in the Pocket OVAs is up next. As for the Ground Type, well, just take a look:

uhhhhh...

UHHHH, SORRY GUYS, IT'S BEEN A NICE FORUM!

C-could it be?

It is!

We're saved! The forum's fine and nothing bad happened to it that is in ANY way my fault!

Yeah, so I wanted to share pictures of Gundam Alex, which I'm suuuuper proud of. But I also wanted to share how the Ground Type came out, in a way that recognizes that Alex would not be as good as it is if I hadn't made loads and loads of mistakes trying new techniques on Ground Type.

So here it is. Several hours of work learning a few GIMP tools, downloading fonts, googling for Gundam sound effects, and now the nerdiest thing I've ever created exists.
So I occasionally pop into this thread cuz Gunpla are cool even if I have no builder aspirations of my own (One day I'd like to put together a Victory Gundam, just to stake my claim as a Gundam fan).

Buuuuuuuut...

This comic is like the best thing I've ever seen. My day has been thoroughly made. Like, I'm just blown away by the beauty of it. The message at the end was touching to me. Wow. I adore this. Thank you so much Lancer.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:30 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

Thank you! I'm very proud of it!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:37 PM
Not a Beer

So Wist will appreciate this - I finally got back to working on the Gaeon (after being distracted by Let's Go Eevee for a while) and on a whim decided to see if my new Echo Dot could play random anime music for free. It obliged, and right before I was going to turn in for the night it shuffled up Blazing by Garnidelia. Nice job, Alexa.

Anyway this looks like I"m almost done but it's really only halfway due to the insane backpack/weapons system it has going on:

Also whee tiny decals
Old 12-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I finally got back to working on the Gaeon
😤
Old 12-15-2018, 02:11 PM
Not a Beer

Don't hold your breath there, it seems likely holiday obligations may derail me before I actually have time to finish. But I'll pick it up next year if so.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:04 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Tiny decals like that are why I'm happy I got so much painting experience with Gundam Ground Type. Waaaaay easier for me to paint tiny spots like that than apply a decal with my huge murder hands. I'm no good applying them with a hobby knife either :P
Old 12-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Not a Beer

Paint is definitely easier and I do substitute paint for decals where I can, but I don't have any shiny metallic green to hand.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:48 AM

You could always use that silver sharpie, and then layer a clear green on top of it
Old 12-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Not a Beer

Hmmmm I probably have some kind of green somewhere but I dunno if it's clear enough. But now that you mention it I should sit down at some point and try all my random colors over silver just to see what works and what my options are...
Old 12-17-2018, 03:31 PM

You know how sometimes, when you use a Gundam marker before properly shaking it up, and the paint comes out transparent because it separated inside the pen? That's one thing that could work. Another thing that could work - children's markers.

I have a few transparent grades of paint that you use on clear parts, but buying those, you might as well just buy metallic green instead.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:27 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

I really shouldn't have, but while I was at my parents' for Christmas, I went to the hobby shop near them a couple of times and ended up picking up a bunch of new kits. This year, I really want to try and pare down my kit backlog, try and spend some more time relaxing and unwinding by building kits. Help with my stress and anxiety.

I already have a huge backlog, but I figured I just had to go and get a huge pile of new kits. But they're at least ones I've wanted to get for a while now.

So, it's the PG Red Frame Kai, the MG F91 2.0, the MG Avalanche Exia' (yes, the ' is in the name. It means "Dash".), the HG00 Sky HWS, the "HG" Loheng-Rinko, the Valvrave VI (the magical girl one), and the Setsuna Beargguy (to go with my Graham and Lockon ones). Plus I finally got myself a set of proper sprue cutters, though they're not a pair of God Hands.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Not a Beer

Excellent set of backlog additions! I think the Valvrave and Astray are my faves... plus the F91 and 00 Sky. Fun stuff.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:29 PM

Great haul! I'm pretty jealous. There's a number of kits I'd want that came out this year, but I'm purposefully not buying any until I make a bigger dent in my backlog.

Very curious to hear your thoughts on the MG F-91 2.0. I built the 1.0 not too terribly long ago, and it had a lot of things that frustrated me with it. I've been eagerly anticipating the 2.0.

Curious how the sprue cutter works for you. Hopefully you got ones that are actually for cutting plastic. A lot of sprue cutters are gauged for metal or other stuff and have thicker blades that pinch, rather than thinner blades that actually cut through. Of course, in my experience a good pair is mostly a luxury when you can still get good results with using something else like a hobby knife or sand paper to whittle down on nubs.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Objection!

I actually have BOTH MG F91 1.0s (Seabook's, which comes with the Rafflasa stand that looks super good, and Harrison's, which is just the same kit painted blue and no stand), plus an old shitty no-grade F91 (plus an old shitty no-grade Silhouette Formula 91). I remember liking the build quality of the MG F91s, but I haven't had mine out and posed for years. I'll probably dig them out of storage once I finish building the F91 2.0 just to have them all together.

Also the sprue cutter was with the store's gunpla section, so I would hope they did at least some research on the matter. The place is like, your typical board game and pop culture collectible store, but over the years I've been going there, their gunpla section has been getting bigger and bigger, and has been getting newer and newer stuff. Hell, I'm surprised they got a second Deep Striker to put on their shelves, after I bought the only one they had planned to buy as a preorder.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:25 PM

Your hobby shop sounds awesome. I have to travel at least an hour to find one that stocks more than a few random kits.

Sprue cutters are weird. Do yourself a favor and when you're trying it out at first, leave lots of extra nub until you get a feel for how well it cuts. Getting stress marks on the plastic because your nippers pinched the plastic weird is the worst.

I remember the F-91 1.0 being a good looking kit (it's the F-91, of course it's going to look good), but it had a number of things that bothered me:

- The color of blue they choose was the old kind of blue plastic you see frequently in ancient MG kits. It's a shade that looks too dark for a lot of Gundams (esp the F-91), often has injection issues where you see light color swirls, and it easily shows stress marks/mistakes when de-nubbing.

- There are no polycaps in the 1.0. Which can work sometimes (worked fine in the MG Turn-A) but often leads to fiddly, loose joints.

- The panel lines on the 1.0 are dire. They're frequently too shallow and rounded to easily contain ink/paint, meaning you just lose detail on the kit for no reason, or have to learn to scribe your own lines to compensate.

P-Bandai is releasing a clear "after image" version of the 2.0 F-91, and if I won the lotto, I'd buy two of 'em and a regular one to set up a mini diorama like this:

Old 01-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Objection!

Starting off the year by watching Wrestle Kingdom and building gunpla. This is the life.

Generally I find the Build Fighters people-kits to be kind of... creepy? Especially with how the first one gets introduced in the show itself. But the HGBF Mrs Loheng-Rinko is the first one that really grabbed my attention. And the story behind it is appropriately goofy; Sei Iori's dad, a world renowned gunpla builder, built this custom kit of his wife as a wedding anniversary gift (it's a "mother"ship, get it).

I like that the kit can partsform between MR (Murrue Ramius) mode and AA (Archangel) mode, and it's actually a pretty simple transformation. Another thing I like is that the skirt is actually two pieces of soft rubber, so they have flex and give to them, which really works well. Other kits I've owned with similar things would have made it a bunch of plastic parts, or just paper (like all of my LBX kits with capes).

I did most of the painting with my Gundam Markers, but I decided to stick to the stickers for the eyes themselves. I liked that the part had notches and bumps for each specific part of the eye so it would have been easy to paint, but I didn't have the tools to do it right. And there's a clear plastic part that goes over the eyes anyway, so I don't have to worry about the stickers weakening and coming off.

There's two other Build [Blah] people-kits I want to get. I want to pick up the Diver Nami kit at some point, which was at the hobby shop I frequent by my parents' place, and also the Mobile Doll Sarah kit that just came out last month. I imagine that by the time I can next go to the hobby shop, they'll have received a few copies of it.

Last edited by Umbaglo; 01-04-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack