The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

There was a fair bit of KeyForge talk a couple of pages ago in this thread, but just to remind folks, it's a Richard Garfield card game with blind boxes of unique fixed decks. Those decks have unique, algorithmically-generated names, and, as you might expect, that leads to problems and hilarity:

Old 11-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

(It is time to shame you for hotlinking)

"The Boy who Basically Headbutts Heaven" is one of the most awesome names possible. I don't see any problems there. But why was "Racism" even in their algo? My brother suspects that these are 'shopped, and on reflection, I think he's probably right. I haven't seen a single Keyforge card outside of these, so I don't know if these follow the right pattern.

The sad news is that the decks that they deem to have "inappropriate names" are not tournament-legal, so if these pictures are legit, someone is going to have to leave headbutting heaven to the privacy of his own home. (They are offering replacement decks for anyone who turns in a bad one, though.)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:32 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Saving everyone the trouble:

Old 11-14-2018, 06:37 PM
I have a Plan

Spirit Island kickstarter continues and I think today's spirit might very well be my new main.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Space dad

If you missed out on Blood Rage the first time keep an eye out; CMON is apparently running a KS for the digital version that will include the board game as well, AND new versions of the promo stuff.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
There was a fair bit of KeyForge talk a couple of pages ago in this thread, but just to remind folks, it's a Richard Garfield card game with blind boxes of unique fixed decks. Those decks have unique, algorithmically-generated names, and, as you might expect, that leads to problems and hilarity:
And now you can search/browse the entire database of hilarious names. Post your favorites!
  • Exceedingly Reasonable Honk
  • Intermittently Magnificent Tadd
  • Powell the Factually Romantic
  • The Golem who Unsees Love
  • The Boy who Cares for Money
  • Beerquake of the Professor's School
  • Princess "Wet Blanket" Kendall
  • The Song that Criticizes Wrinkles
  • Bottomique, the Assassin of the Bolthole

Reminder that these are the registered decks -- these are the ones that made it through. That's right: the algorithm generated names that FFG deemed more offensive than "Bottomique, the Assassin of the Bolthole," a name that somehow manages to fit four butt references into three words.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Woof thanks for the laugh. I found:
  • Bustmannus ∆mberson-Seprador, Bard

You're gonna need a stage name, buddy.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I'm still having trouble just believing Keyforge is real and now you show me this.

"Lana, Innscester Researcher"
Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
If you missed out on Blood Rage the first time keep an eye out; CMON is apparently running a KS for the digital version that will include the board game as well, AND new versions of the promo stuff.
Meh. Save your money and get Rising Sun instead. (Or, if you're not opposed to wooden pieces and cute yet fierce woodland creatures, skip both and get Root.)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Space dad

I have Rising Sun.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
I have Rising Sun.
I meant anyone else that might not have any of the three!

Edit: also, out of curiosity, which do you prefer between Blood Rage and Rising Sun?
Old 11-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Space dad

I haven't played Blood Rage! It's KS campaign fell in my 9-month "just working temp" window and I didn't know CMON was already doing the "$1 now and the rest later" thing for its pledges, so I missed out. That's why I'm excited about this. I was hoping to play it with Dan Hsu (he kept bringing it to Talcon) but he moved away.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:55 PM
hidden in snow

Got our Kickstarter copy of Fireball Island and the expansions. Havenít played it other than my daughter using it as a play set, but have component impressions:
  • The cards and the custom sleeves are really good quality.
  • The box is really cheap. It's corrugated cardboard, without the protective sticker edge. Don't see it lasting a super long time.
  • There's no storage in the box at all. I haven't opened the expansions, don't know if they'll all fit.
  • The plastic mold island looks nice, but I can see rough kids destroying it quickly.
  • The cardboard bits are pretty soft, and wonít withstand many deconstructions. Good thing theyíre only for aesthetics.
  • My son already lost one of the deluxe marbles.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Natural Born Critic

At least it looks impressive with child for scale!
Old 11-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Sudden chomper

My cousin ordered a copy of that, if it arrives before Christmas we might even play a round. We both had the original game as kids - still do, actually. Wonder what I could get for my copy on eBay at this point?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Inherently Stealthy

My copy arrived today. Haven't unpacked it yet but since we're doing board games today we'll probably give it a spin.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Question

We played some Fireball Island last night! General consensus was that it was much less hectic and much more tactical than it initially appeared. The marbles are less "devastation sweeps across the board" and more "standing over there is bad right now". Some zones are definitely safer than others, and it's not always obvious which is which. The deluxe marlbes are really nice too.

We didn't play with any of the expansions (other than the fifth player) but we're all looking forward to shenanigans with snakes, bees, and giant boulders.

Interestingly even our players who are normally very hesitant to use PvP mechanics immediately got very in to using fiery doom to sabotage other players. A big win for tactile factors!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 PM
hidden in snow

I bought three iPad versions of board games: Race for the Galaxy, Through the Ages, and Twilight Struggle. I have passing experience with Race, so thatís the one Iíve tried so far. The app is extremely slick, and the tutorials do a good job of explaining some of the rules, but they donít go super deep into the iconography. Iíve played a few matches and have done better than I did back when I had the card version, or the old freeware PC one. I havenít bought any of the expansions, will stick with the base one and try out strategies. Recommended.

Iíll try out the other games later. I did boot up Through the Ages, and the initial impression was similar to the Stone Age iPad conversion, a little jumbled but gets the job done.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Space dad

I've played both the Through the Ages and Twilight Struggle apps a lot; both are quite good.

By the way, CMON is doing a very brief Kickstarter for Blood Rage for the new digital version, but there's a pledge level that comes with new sculpts of the promo stuff for the base game, and you can add on the base game for $60 as an extra, so it's basically a redux of the original with different extras so KS purists can only pound their chests in rage over the technically exclusives they're now "denied."

Anyway, since the promos are HECK OF expensive (I just sold the Mountain Giant that came with my Rise of Moloch pledge for the same amount as the new exclusives-inclusive Blood Rage pledge tier) it's probably your best bet to get the whole package (minus some stuff available at retail).

Tags
afk , bard games , beard james , board dames , board games , board james , bro games , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it