The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 PM
We just don't know.

The Cloverfield Paradox didn't really make any sense, come to think of it.

I probably shouldn't have watched The Martian right after finishing the book, since it goes directly against my own rule for such things, but I did and I wasn't particularly impressed. Some of the cuts made sense because you can only have Matt Damon drone about science for so long and still have an interesting movie, but a few of the changes actually made it less interesting and less dramatic, and it felt like it moved too fast.

This is why I always try to watch movie adaptations before reading the original books. Ah well!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:27 AM
Space dad

The Open House on Netflix was a decent enough suspense thriller until the last five minutes, when it's revealed, after several red herrings that suggest he might have some connection to his victims, that the killer who's just terrorized and murdered a widowed mother and her son is just some guy who does that and then moves on to the next open house. It's the kind of movie I kinda hate most, where the last few minutes negate basically everything that happens leading up to it. They could have had the family die in the car crash that killed the dad and spared me two hours of torture for no reason. If I want to watch pointless, nihilistic meanness I can just turn on the news.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 AM
Mystery Contraption

Decided to knuckle under and start watching some of the movies I had lingering on my Netflix queue, starting with Paul, the Nick Frost/Simon Peg sci-fi comedy.

My review is as follows;

“Nah”

At best it’s a well-below-average episode of American Dad, if the alien sounded like Seth Rogan instead of Paul Lynde. There was a couple of jokes that got a smile from me, but that’s all.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Decided to knuckle under and start watching some of the movies I had lingering on my Netflix queue, starting with Paul, the Nick Frost/Simon Peg sci-fi comedy.

My review is as follows;

“Nah”

At best it’s a well-below-average episode of American Dad, if the alien sounded like Seth Rogan instead of Paul Lynde. There was a couple of jokes that got a smile from me, but that’s all.
Yeah, I remember being really disappointed on that one. Edgar Wright is a pretty important component of the Cornetto movies.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM
This Guy

I kind of want to defend Paul, but my defense is "it was fun enough." I haven't seen it since it came and I don't remember much specific.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:10 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
The Cloverfield Paradox didn't really make any sense, come to think of it.
If you think of it as a haunted house movie set in space, it works a little better, but it's, um, apparent why Cloverfield 3 was released as direct-to-streaming instead of getting a theatrical release. (They definitely nailed that direct-to-video sequel vibe!)

I feel like all the basically magic technology they have is at odds with the apocalyptic energy crisis that's supposed to be going on. Like, they want me to believe they have the medical tech to get what's-her-face back to 100% functional and pristine in a matter of hours, but the people on Earth haven't moved to more sustainable energy? That this movie is being taken as a prequel to the first makes it even more ridiculous - how did the people in Manhattan not know about the giant roaming monsters by that point?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:10 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
If you think of it as a haunted house movie set in space, it works a little better, but it's, um, apparent why Cloverfield 3 was released as direct-to-streaming instead of getting a theatrical release. (They definitely nailed that direct-to-video sequel vibe!)

I feel like all the basically magic technology they have is at odds with the apocalyptic energy crisis that's supposed to be going on. Like, they want me to believe they have the medical tech to get what's-her-face back to 100% functional and pristine in a matter of hours, but the people on Earth haven't moved to more sustainable energy? That this movie is being taken as a prequel to the first makes it even more ridiculous - how did the people in Manhattan not know about the giant roaming monsters by that point?
Like 10 Cloverfield Lane, this script wasn't written as a Cloverfield movie until it became one late in development. This is apparent throughout, since it continues the trend of none of the movies having anything to do with each other. Which I'm fine with, in general! The sequential/series connections don't make sense, like you said, but even just taken completely on its own, the movie just doesn't make a lot of sense either. It has a few cool conceits and scenes, but they all fall apart if you try to make any sort of sense out of them.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Like 10 Cloverfield Lane, this script wasn't written as a Cloverfield movie until it became one late in development. This is apparent throughout, since it continues the trend of none of the movies having anything to do with each other. Which I'm fine with, in general! The sequential/series connections don't make sense, like you said, but even just taken completely on its own, the movie just doesn't make a lot of sense either. It has a few cool conceits and scenes, but they all fall apart if you try to make any sort of sense out of them.

Nothing in this film holds to scrutiny, really. XD

Except for the queue for gas in the beginning, absolutely nothing in the movie tells you "this is peak oil and there's also a general shortage of energy" (what happened to coal? nuclear? renewables?).
Everybody uses phones, internet, computers (and the husband his car) and space hi-tech like it ain't no thing.
Also the difference of technology level between present-day stuff down on earth and ultra high-tech up in the station is quite immersion breaking.

It was entertaining enough to watch while I was ironing, though.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:49 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I enjoyed Wonder Woman quite a bit. But how did it get released with the visual effects in that state?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:48 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Feels like that's just the DC House Style at work. Heavy use of compositing requires fairly low contrast, and paired with the desaturated sepia tones they're fond of in the DC stable, you end up with something that wears its fakeness on its sleeve.

I really only found this to be a problem during the final scenes, though.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:19 AM
It's dog eat dog

Man, Something Wild has one of the best soundtracks of all time. In the sense that it's not just what plays in the background but is actually an integral part of the forward motion of the movie — which isn't about music at all! Jonathan Demme was the shit.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 AM
We just don't know.

I really don't know what to think of Phantom Thread.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:47 AM
Are You Sure About That?

It apparently made Daniel Day-Lewis quit acting?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 AM
It's dog eat dog

It did, but in more of a "this is a grace note for my career" way than a "fuck this shit" way.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 AM

I just saw Phantom Thread on Monday night myself.

I'm not sure if I'm conflicted but I certainly don't feel like I'm able to sum up my thoughts on it in a concise way, either. I appreciated that it wasn't entirely dreary or dreadful, I was worried that this collaboration would be fixated on trying to recapture the lightning that was TWBB in a bottle. And having a young, relatively unknown woman be cast not entirely as a victim of, but an equal to in many ways to DDL's character was a bold choice and one that paid off.

Man, I really loved The Master.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Mystery Contraption

Okay... so... Time Bandits is a weird-ass movie. Whole thing feels like Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure (with a much higher budget) by way of the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, if that crossover was written by someone with a high fever.

And to be fair, it's a movie made by Terry Gilliam, and he doesn't know how to make movies that don't feel like fever dreams.

A small, very British, child is kidnapped by a team of dwarves who were originally underpaid low-level works in the employ of God Himself, but have turned to Time Banditry, robbing all of history of its most valuable treasures with a Time Map that God left lying around, and meanwhile, the Skeletor-esque Evil One wants to steal the map for himself so he can grab advanced future technology and take over the world.

The kid gets kidnapped QUITE A FEW times through the movie, and is also, briefly, adopted by Sean Connery (as King Agamemmnon), before being brought to the Evil Ones fortress, where he's instead nearly killed by a hoard of skeleton-minotaurs. And, at the end of the film, its revealed that the whole movie may-or-may-not have been a smoke-inhalation nightmare brought about by his house burning down around him. Then his parents explode into flames because they come into physical contact with a piece of the Evil Ones body.

The End. No Moral.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 AM
The metal babble flees!

Literally all I remembered of that movie was the child plaintively saying "mum, dad, don't touch that. it's EVIL" and they touch it and <ploff>. I'll have to watch it again.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
<ploff>
This is a good sound effect. A+.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Literally all I remembered of that movie was the child plaintively saying "mum, dad, don't touch that. it's EVIL" and they touch it and <ploff>. I'll have to watch it again.
I will say that I did completely love how totally disinterested God was when he showed up at the end of the movie to save the day. Dude did NOT want to get involved.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
This describes every movie ever made by Baz Lurhman, and I love them for it.

(Romeo + Juliet is a piece of art, and I watched Moulin Rouge at least a half-dozen times at theaters during its original run)
I just watched Romeo + Juliet again a few days ago on a more-or-less date abd yeah, it's still fantastic.

Also I, too, need to see Time Bandits again some time. Also Dr. Parnassus for the first time since I somehow never got around to it. Also Baron Von Munchausen again because why not.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM
Safe Space

David Warner gives perhaps the most gleeful performance of his career as the Evil in Time Bandits.

"STAND BY FOR MIND CONTROL."
Old 02-14-2018, 06:08 PM
This Guy

Quote:
This is the only part of the movie I saw as a kid and it gave me nightmares for a month. Then I watched the whole thing and felt a little silly.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 PM
It's dog eat dog

I really like this AV Club comic that digs a little deeper into Time Bandits and explains what's going on thematically.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:30 PM
Space dad

Spider-Man: Homecoming is, I think, the second-best MCU film and easily has the best villain.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 PM
I <3 janeelle morae

Is the first Captain America? I still haven't seen that one so I can't speak on its quality but otherwise am very strongly inclined to agree
Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
This is the only part of the movie I saw as a kid and it gave me nightmares for a month. Then I watched the whole thing and felt a little silly.
We could probably have a whole thread of movie things that scared us, or other children we knew. The one I specifically remember: in the '70s Willy Wonka movie*, where Augustus Gloop falls into the chocolate lake, and there's a brief bit where you see him yelling for help as he gets stuck in a transparent pipe. I'm not sure if I was afraid of him drowning, or if Wonka said something about that pipe going to the manufacturing floor and Augustus being made into candy, but my parents had to retrieve me crying from my bedroom to show me that he had lived.

*probably also in the remake, which I haven't seen

Dahl's stuff is nightmare fodder just in general. In my admittedly biased opinion.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Dahl's stuff is nightmare fodder just in general. In my admittedly biased opinion.
naw man I don't think you're gonna get a lot of argument on that point.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Starts with your heart

Roald Dahl’s first book was based on his experiences fighting the RAF’s holding action at Haifa. Not a dude interested in sugarcoating the world.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 AM
I <3 janeelle morae

Little wonder he disliked the movie adaptation, then, eh
Personally I've always thought an erudite Satan-figure is the most interesting kind and may prefer the movie to the book
Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 AM
hidden in snow

Watched Coco. Beautiful movie. Bawled through the last third.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road