The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 01-08-2018, 04:37 AM
Objection!

I have a MG S and an MG Ex-S, and oh my god I can't believe they're making a MG DEEP STRIKER. I'm so excited about it.

I didn't get the lighting kit version, even though it looks incredible, because it would have been another 200$ and I probably wouldn't even use it. I got the lighting kit version of the PG 00 Raiser, and while those lights are REALLY GOOD, I used them like a couple of times after building, and dealing with the batteries is such a pain.

I kind of hope the GN Drive effects aren't exclusive to the lighting kit version, though. Assuming the Exia has the same one as the 00 Raiser. But I bet it would be.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Not a Beer

Some nice Gundams there, Umbaglo!

I also added a couple of things I found cheap to my backlog last year, including the RE/100 Efreet Custom I'd had my eye on and an impulse-bought Gaeon from Reconguista (and my wife got Amida's Hyakuren from Orphans), but I haven't built anything in ages. Someday... Having a new person to make out with kinda cuts into your free time though.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Objection!

I wanted to work on something while watching AGDQ, so I put together the MG GM Sniper Custom. It can do the kneeling aim poise, so you know it's a good one.

Not sure which weapon I want to pose it with. That pistol is just kind of goofy.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Objection!

On a bit of a roll now, finishing up another old (both in terms of actual age and in terms of how long I've owned it) kit: A 1/100 no-grade Gundam F90V.

It was about as easy and simple to build as I expected it to be, and ended up slightly better build quality then the Cluster Gundam and Silhouette Formula 91 I have from the same line, probably through being a cleaner design. SF91 is kind of a disaster of random shit.

Maybe I'll spend some time later to fully paint it, but once I finished with the core F90 I just kind of had no interest left in spending the time on painting the VSBR frame as well. Which is why it looks real bad.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Not a Beer

Nice. I've never even seen the F90V before, pretty cool. It could use some more paint yeah (like any old kit), but that's the sort of thing to do when you're feeling inspired. I dig the Sniper GM too (and the close-ups make me want to do some panel-lining on it, but that's just an itch I've had ever since I started doing it to a few kits. )
Old 01-11-2018, 02:13 PM
カセットについてのお願い

Good stuff folks!

I made a custom purple Hyaku-Shiki recently so I gotta get around to posting that in here. Since POSES is done I actually have time to do photos of other things now!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 PM

Man, MSV is 80s AF
Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 PM
カセットについてのお願い

Isn't it, though? I love it. This vinty Guncannon II is probably my favorite kit I've ever done. (Pretty sure I've posted this in here before)

Old 01-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Objection!

I really love the F90 line (And F90III-Y Cluster Gundam is one of my top favourite Gundams), and at one point came up with a whole bunch of extra packs so that the three of them combined had one pack for each letter of the alphabet, back on the old SRW-based forum game I used to run.

I'm just sad about the build quality of kits from that era, but given their age I can't be surprised.

One of the things that's actually been kind of keeping me from more general painting is that I don't have any good yellow Gundam Markers or paints, and I keep forgetting to pick some up. I need to get around to that, and really should have looked when I was at that store near my parents' place. Now, hm. What kit to work on next...
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Not a Beer

FWIW I've been picking up Gundam Markers off Amazon for pretty reasonable prices lately, though you sometimes have to hunt to find color combos you can use.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:33 PM
We just don't know.

Huh, so this is already all about Gunpla. Cool!

For reasons I am not currently at liberty to disclose, I recently got moderately into Gundam. I don't intend to make a full hobby of it, but I did end up ordering two Gunpla models. Naturally, I got the O.G. Gundam (78?) and Char's Zaku II custom. The Char model just arrived! I've got the piece frames laid out before me and I'm only a little scared and overwhelmed, but also kinda excited. Anything I should know going in?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:58 PM

Paul! Sorry for not responding quicker.

Main thing with gunpla is to just have fun. You're probably going to make mistakes, and that's ok. But learning and doing is the most rewarding part of model making.

The biggest tips for making them look decent out of the box for newbies:

1) Get yourself a pair of sprue cutters and maybe a hobby knife. Use the sprue cutters first and snip the parts off the runner, while leaving a generous amount of nub left on the piece. You want to leave lots of nub because most sprue cutters have the tendency of stressing the plastic and leaving ugly marks. Whittling down the nub carefully with a sharp hobby knife then is probably the easiest and most cost effective way of removing the nubs and making the model kit look good. Just be careful/patient with how you cut. There are special spruce cutters designed for model kits that leave cleaner cuts but those will typically cost you like $50, versus a generic sprue cutter in the $10-15 range.

2) Your kit will have several etched grooves in the surface, those are panel lines to give your kit extra detail/visual pop. It's not necessary but filling in those panel lines for more obvious visual accents is a cheap/easy way of improving the look of your kit. You can use anything to fill the panel lines in. Plenty of people use mechanical pencil lead. Bandai sells specialized ink pens for the task, but you can buy your own to do the job (I've found micron pens work well). If you go the pen route, it's invariable that you'll make mistakes, just keep some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol ready to help you clean up mistakes. It's a general rule of thumb to use black coloring to panel line most surface colors, but if you're panel lining against white plastic, lots of people use a grey color instead. If you're not sure which grooves are panel lines, refer to the documentation that comes with your kit for reference - they usually show images of the kit post-panel lines.

3) Your kits likely come with decals/stickers. A lot of those stickers are foil stickers so they scratch and show creases easy, so when applying them, use something soft like a Q-tip to apply them. Also, never touch the sticky surface of a decal with your fingers, as the oils on them is a guaranteed way of making the stickers peel up. So use a pair of tweezers, a toothpick, your hobby knife, or some intermediate object to help lift the decal off the sticker sheet and apply it to your gunpla.

That's it for the basics! If you have any more questions or advice feel free to ask! I'm sure I or someone else can help. And I look forward to seeing your finished product too!!
Old 01-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Objection!

A small bottle of plastic cement will do wonders for any accidents you make while removing parts from the runners.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:49 PM
We just don't know.

My journey, chronicled

So I got some flush clippers and used those, but I thought the whole point of those was to not need a secondary clip since you could get flush. There are are a few white spots if you look, I guess, but I'm not too worried.

I've got one more coming in soon. I guess we'll see if I feel like doing that one any differently!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
My journey, chronicled

So I got some flush clippers and used those, but I thought the whole point of those was to not need a secondary clip since you could get flush. There are are a few white spots if you look, I guess, but I'm not too worried.

I've got one more coming in soon. I guess we'll see if I feel like doing that one any differently!
If you're satisfied with the results, that's all that really matters! Messing with Gunpla is easy enough that it can still look pretty decent no matter what level of dedication or intensity you want to put into your build.

Regarding the flush cutters, the ones you'll usually find at hobby stores and the like are designed and rated for cutting steel or other metal wire. They'll work with plastic, but if you want an optimal outcome, it's best to follow the steps I outlined earlier. The difference here is that often with cutting wire, plastic is more maleable and the blades on the 'flush cutters' are too broad. So what happens is that instead of cutting the plastic, the fat blades end up kind of pinching them, resulting in stress warping (the white marks) and a not totally clean cut.

The example cut on the right in this above image, uses a special type of (very expensive) nippers designed specifically for cutting plastic. And instead of being two wedge blades, it's called a "side cutter" where only one of the blades is sharp, and the other is dull/flat like a cutting board. So it's like cutting with a very sharp, very thin knife and minimizes plastic stress/warping.

I bought a pair of these 'god hands' but I try to limit their use because using a pair of flush cutters and then cleaning up with a hobby knife produces really good results once you get the knack of it, and the less you use your good nippers, the longer they stay sharp/not broken. Also, one easy trick to dealing with white stress marks is that often you can reduce or get rid of them by rubbing your fingernail over it.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:35 AM
カセットについてのお願い

Welcome to the hobby, Paul! You picked a great kit as a starter. Here's my build of the same kit I did several years ago:

Beyond the standard tools that wisteriahisteria has mentioned, the other items I used for this included:

- An ink pen for panel lines
- A matte top coat. This gives the kit a "painted" look without any painting at all! I used Mr. Super Clear in a spray can, but similar products are available from other brands.
- A Tamiya Weathering Master for some light shading and weathering effects. These are basically makeup kits for a Gundam and are extremely easy to use, and can be found at many local hobby stores.
- A silver Sharpie for some metallic effects. These are amazing.

A few other things I did:

- I hand-painted the heat tomahawk to something approximating the correct color using Testors Model Masters acrylics.
- I cut away a little chunk of the shield using a hobby knife, and then colored in the cut area with the Silver sharpie.
- I cut out a little piece of a clear plastic cup, and wedged it inside the helmet to give it a clear visor.

But just like wisteria said, this is a great hobby, because you can take it exactly as far as you'd like. Nearly every Gundam kit looks fantastic built right out of the box.

For some chill building tips, I recommend this YouTube channel.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 AM
fan of wet circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
- A matte top coat. This gives the kit a "painted" look without any painting at all! I used Mr. Super Clear in a spray can, but similar products are available from other brands.
That is a really great suggestion. A tip for MSC: warm up the can before spraying, by sticking under your arm or under a snoozing dog. Spraying in low temps or high humidity can cause flaky finishes or ghosting.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:46 PM
We just don't know.

Huh. Just, like, a regular black ball-point pen? Or a particular kind?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 PM
fan of wet circles

Nah, would have to be felt-tip. Or one with a nib...
Old 01-29-2018, 10:34 PM
カセットについてのお願い

Yeah you would need something like this. A mechanical pencil will also work on bare plastic, provided it's light enough. The officially branded panel liner looks like this.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:04 PM

A friend for Xmas shipped me some pour-type gunpla panel line markers for panel lining. I'm excited/curious to see how they work.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I have this thing:

Does anyone want it?
Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 PM

Did you already build it?
Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Did you already build it?
No, I am giving it away if someone wants it. Otherwise, I will throw it away.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Not a Beer

I mean, I'd much rather have it than see it thrown away, but my backlog is pretty huge right now. If anyone else could get around to building it in less than a year or two they should take priority.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I mean, I'd much rather have it than see it thrown away, but my backlog is pretty huge right now. If anyone else could get around to building it in less than a year or two they should take priority.
This is largely my sentiment too. I didnít want to put out a claim if someone else had more genuine interest. Iím also hesitant because shipping would likely rival the cost of the kit itself. If all else fails tho False, donít just chuck it. At the least give it to a goodwill or to an LCS, because theyíll be able to find it a home.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:23 PM
We just don't know.

It happened again!

And yes I'm aware of the horrible typo in the title, I just can't figure out how to change it from my phone/the mobile imgur.com app. Fuckin keyboard conspiring against me.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM
カセットについてのお願い

"Mobile Teacher Gundam" does sound like a pretty rad anime though.

Looks like you picked the Revive version of the RX-78? Good choice. I quite like the original HGUC but the newer one definitely shows off how much improvement Bandai's designers have undergone since the early aughts.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Not a Beer

I'm honestly surprised if Kidou Sensei Gandamu isn't a 4-koma comedy strip that's already happened.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Kidou Sensei Gundam is the name of my anime OP cover band.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack