The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I've got my first project under my belt. Thanks for the recommendations, especially the suggestion to get extra blacks.

The instructions said to iron on medium heat 10 to 20 seconds, but I found that I needed to iron the everloving snot out of it to stop it looking like a bunch of circles. Am I worrying too much about this?

Edit: not sure the upload worked, so here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20180111_203407.jpg (157 Bytes, 189 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I've got my first project under my belt. Thanks for the recommendations, especially the suggestion to get extra blacks.

The instructions said to iron on medium heat 10 to 20 seconds, but I found that I needed to iron the everloving snot out of it to stop it looking like a bunch of circles. Am I worrying too much about this?
It's a personal preference thing, but the general aesthetic of most Perler art I've seen is to leave the holes the way they are on the side facing up, to add to the "pixel-y" feel. But I know Lady likes to iron both sides, so it's not a rule or anything. Nice job!
Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 AM
Sudden chomper

It takes a little while (or a bit of pressure) to flatten out the circles. Personally, I like the circles and prefer them to smooshed beads. It can actually be pretty tough to make your creation solid without melting it too much.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 AM
actually an eevee

Nice work!

Yeah, I do iron on both sides, but that's mainly for support/structure. I try to leave open circles on one side and completely fill in the back side, because I've found when you leave them open on both sides, it's hard to see the pixels, because you just look straight through.

The trouble with completely ironing them out solid is that you tend to get the bubble effect around the edges where there is no other bead to form a flat line.

I definitely iron for more than 10-20 seconds, but I'm also afraid of turning the iron up too hot in case it warps the pegboard
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Not a Beer

I've seen some people who really want the square-pixel look resort to surrounding the whole sprite with clear beads so the outside black/colored edges can flatten as well, though of course that makes every pattern a couple beads taller and wider which can cause space issues. (And "clear" is relative, it'll still look like a grey outline against most surfaces.)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:33 AM
It's dog eat dog

One issue that I've been running into with larger, single-piece Perler art is that I have to do it in pieces, because doing the whole thing at once severely increases the chances of warping during the ironing process. (I learned this the hard way during my first attempt at Skull Castle.) But oftentimes, the individual pieces don't shrink to quite the same size after fusing, so they don't line up as well as they should. It's a tricky balance.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Can't you correct it after the fact? I realize this becomes harder as the piece becomes larger, but the Blue Bomber there was a little smiley until I had him spend the night under a pile of board games.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 PM
It's dog eat dog

It's not so much that the finished piece is warped, but that corners of the piece will start bending during ironing, often leaving behind stray beads on the pegboard. Performing bead surgery after this happens isn't impossible, but it's a huge pain in the ass.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Sudden chomper

Could you minimize that by ironing the exterior contour before doing the middle?
Old 01-12-2018, 01:09 PM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Could you minimize that by ironing the exterior contour before doing the middle?
Possibly. I've just started to do larger pieces as anything other than a bunch of disconnected 29x29 tiles, so I'm still working out a system for keeping it from fucking up.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
first attempt at Skull Castle
I hope you didn't get very far into the "first attempt" before starting anew, because holy crap
Old 01-12-2018, 02:21 PM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
I hope you didn't get very far into the "first attempt" before starting anew, because holy crap
I managed to salvage about half of it, but yeah. When I first moved to Michigan I was pretty isolated and had a lot of downtime telecommuting for my old job.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Second project.

Of course Rock couldn't live alone with no one to point that buster at. I decided on MM10 because that's the one my kids recognize. Past there, my decision was driven by looks and color selection (the all-white Sheep Man wouldn't do, for instance).

Blade Man is too wide and tall for a single board, so this took three. Mega Man needed two, and only because of his pose, so this was a notable step up in complexity. Maybe Nitro Man would've been a better pick...
Old 01-18-2018, 01:12 PM
It's dog eat dog

I feel a bit sheepish posting these since mine are kind of insane, and increasingly not sprite art. But if that's not a problem, here's Burt Lancaster from the (amazing) movie Sweet Smell of Success:

(it's a bit warped toward the bottom, but that's likely because I took the picture kind of quickly. And Burt himself looks fine)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
I feel a bit sheepish posting these since mine are kind of insane, and increasingly not sprite art. But if that's not a problem
It's definitely not a problem. Keep posting your insane work.

Makes me want to do something like that as a birthday/Christmas present.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
I feel a bit sheepish posting these since mine are kind of insane, and increasingly not sprite art. But if that's not a problem, here's Burt Lancaster from the (amazing) movie Sweet Smell of Success:

(it's a bit warped toward the bottom, but that's likely because I took the picture kind of quickly. And Burt himself looks fine)
So, to get a picture at this kind of resolution what do you do to it?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:38 PM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
So, to get a picture at this kind of resolution what do you do to it?
I posted this earlier but it got buried at the end of a page:

Quote:
I discovered a really, really great open source Java program that converts photos and images into bead patterns. I don't know how it compares to Beadforge, since that program seems to have disappeared from the internet, but this one lets you do a bunch of Photoshoppy stuff on the fly like adjusting brightness and contrast, which instantly gets reflected in the pattern. I've only used it for photos so far but there's no reason it shouldn't work for sprite art too.
For art at that resolution all it really requires is patience.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Oh, wow!

yeah, I missed that explainer. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 AM
King Of Space-Time

Not sure everyone noticed this in my reveal, but my Festivus loot included Santa Mega Man, by MrChris.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I had originally planned to do LoZ Link, but as much as we love that game, my wife and I agree that the sprites are a little on the ugly side.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:59 PM
Life depends on change

I'll always give it to Adventure of Link - even if I don't like it, it has great art.

Also those look great!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Sudden chomper

It's funny, this thread got active again and all of a sudden my son started playing with her Perler robot masters again, too. This is good, because I have made him all 6 from Mega Man and 6/8 from Mega Man 2, but it was killing me that he didn't have the complete MM2 set. That's been taken care of, and this morning he started talking about how the next one should be Snake Man, so it looks like we're off to the races. I'll try to post a family photo of them soon, but I don't have one handy.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:50 AM
It's dog eat dog

This is a repost of sorts, but Kazin specifically asked to see my Mega Mural when I finally re-mounted it. So here it is, now a perfect square, with the addition of Time and Oil Men. Rock in the middle is also a re-do with a more proper flesh tone (I eventually learned that a combo of Perler's Butterscotch and Sand colors is the most natural fit for that).

It's now attached to seven foam boards, individually mounted to the wall, instead of a bunch of sticky tack, which will be awesome when we eventually move. I'm planning to do the same with Skull Castle, but that's a work in progress.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Life depends on change

Got dang, that is good. If I had the patience (and the go-ahead from my wife), I'd make something similar out of the Shining Force II character dialogue box sprites. Looks great, though.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 PM
Space dad

That is amazing.

Inspired by this thread and other Perler stuff (like what I got for Festivus last year), I went ahead and ordered Perler's bundle set of mini beads. I love the look of the big ones but they tend to be honkin' big when finished.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Not a Beer

Just LTTP commenting that taosterman's re-done wall-o-Mega is totally fantastic!
Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 AM
It's dog eat dog

And you may ask yourself, "Why haven't my fingers fallen off yet?"

Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Sudden chomper

Nice! Here's my collection of robot masters (and Mega Man):

Now I know what you're thinking, one of my mans looks a little off-model. But that's because I was short on red beads when I made Crash Man and honestly I've always thought of him being kind of orangey (although not nearly to the extent that Perler orange beads are orange). My son tried to convince me to make him pink instead and I wish I'd listened. I also wish I'd used a slightly less dark blue for Air Man, because from a distance he kinda looks like a big black lump. So it goes.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:39 AM
It's dog eat dog

Very cool. Agreed on the choice of color for Crash Man. Who's that on the top middle?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Clearly, it's Wood Man.

Nitpick: Mega Man's mouth is one pixel too long on the left.

Tags
art , sprite art