The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 PM
This Guy

Oh yeah, I watched the whole series when it was still on Netflix. I remember not really liking the Orient Express episode, but I also watched it right after I read the book and they changed some detail or other that really bothered me.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Oh yeah, I watched the whole series when it was still on Netflix. I remember not really liking the Orient Express episode, but I also watched it right after I read the book and they changed some detail or other that really bothered me.
It's not on Netflix anymore?! Crap I need to find a way to get that.

Yeah, David Suchet had converted to Catholicism and wanted some changes made to the script that referenced that in some ways. And seeing it was the very last story in the series they tweaked it.

I remember not liking the weird religious undercurrents either.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Getting to see Branaugh, and his amazingly ridiculous mustache, ham it up is just icing on the cake.
Ham cake?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Find Your Reason

Power Rangers 2017 was, against all my biases, prejudices, and expectations, Really That Good.

Except for the Krispy Kreme product placement. The movie tried to make it as silly and absurd as everything else surrounding it, but it didn't fully commit and felt jarringly inauthentic compared to its context.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Love and Peace

I just got back from Murder on the Orient Express too. Several of the changes seemed to be motivated solely by Branaugh's desire to ACT!!!!!!!!! but honestly I went into it expecting that to happen and so will everyone else who sees this.

Having the suspects sit at the table like akin to The Last Supper for the big reveal was ridiculously on the nose, even so. The scenes that were from the original story were fine, and seemed to benefit a lot from the general awareness that this is one of the well-known whodunnits in the English language.

Has Johnny Depp done anything on screen except make that "I sucked on a lemon" face since 2005?
Old 11-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

I strongly suspect that Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny is not a film that was intended to be watched sober. In fact, I believe it's quality is inversely proportional to how sober you are.

Yet, nevertheless, it was I who watched it. And was thus in entirely the wrong state of mind to enjoy it.

Had a couple of gags that landed, and I still appreciate the idea of a Tenacious D musical, but otherwise... Ehhhh.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:03 PM
This Guy

I like most of the songs from that movie, and the bit with Tim Robbins when they get out of the museum. And Paul F Tompkins little speech about satan. It is not a good movie.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

And also Kyle trying to sing the songs solo.

But yes, those four things makes up 100% of the movies appeal
Old 11-10-2017, 06:27 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I never read "Murder on the Orient Express," and I don't know who committed the murder on the Orient Express. I'm gonna go see it.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I never read "Murder on the Orient Express," and I don't know who committed the murder on the Orient Express. I'm gonna go see it.
Simpsons did it.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:03 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Have you seen the '70s one? It has a pretty great Old Hollywood Meets New Hollywood cast. And it's just a good adaptation in general.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I strongly suspect that Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny is not a film that was intended to be watched sober. In fact, I believe it's quality is inversely proportional to how sober you are.

Yet, nevertheless, it was I who watched it. And was thus in entirely the wrong state of mind to enjoy it.

Had a couple of gags that landed, and I still appreciate the idea of a Tenacious D musical, but otherwise... Ehhhh.
The beginning sequence is superlative what with the performances of Meatloaf and the late, great Ronnie James Dio. But the rest of the movie never really lives up to that fantastic introduction.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

All I really remember from that movie are the introduction and the rock-off. I'm pretty satisfied with my memory of it.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
All I really remember from that movie are the introduction and the rock-off. I'm pretty satisfied with my memory of it.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Space dad

Saw Split, thought it was pretty good. Good suspense, but left a bit cold by the fact that the lead girl survives because of the Beast recognizing her trauma and self-harm rather than the (constant, gutsy) action on her own part. She didn't even get an explicit "arrest my child-rapist uncle" moment, just a significant look and a cutaway. And the other two girls, resourceful themselves, were never even realized as victims by Kevin himself before he was subsumed again.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:47 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Project A is a movie that nearly killed Jackie Chan. You might be thinking "isn't that every Jackie Chan movie?" but what I'm saying is, in an homage to a famous Harold Lloyd scene, Jackie fell several stories from a clock and broke his neck.

Months later, he returned to the set, filmed it again, and then continued with production of the movie. The shot where he broke his neck, as well as the re-shot fall, are both in the film, back-to-back. Also he apparently shot the fall at least twice more.

Like most Chan movies, this one is a series of breathtaking stunts and kung-fu battles stretched over an hour and a half of plot threads that seem to come and go as they please. The high point for me was the bicycle chase, which just has to be seen to be believed.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

I wish Jackie Chan would retire because I very much don’t wish for him to die for the sake of entertaining me with his fun movies and loveable personality.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:16 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I should mention that this movie is 30 years old. Not that Jackie has stopped risking his life since then, but I mean.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Project A is a movie that nearly killed Jackie Chan. You might be thinking "isn't that every Jackie Chan movie?" but what I'm saying is, in an homage to a famous Harold Lloyd scene, Jackie fell several stories from a clock and broke his neck.
I thought the movie that nearly killed him was Armour of God, where he jumped off a wall, missed the branch he was meant to land on, cracked his skull, and had to be rushed to emergency surgery.

OK yeah maybe he shouldn't almost die in every movie he films.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I think he's done doing stunts that could kill him at this point.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Logan may be (well, certainly is) the best X-Men movie, and possibly superhero movie in general, but it's also probably the one I'm least likely to rewatch. It's a bit heavy on the Bleak for my taste, despite the presence of a private army of guys with robot arms and the presence of Dakan, the super buff Evil Wolverine.

And the presence of X-Men comics as a vital plot point kind of... Raised questions the movie did not feel was appropriate to answer.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I just finished watching Jupiter Ascending. What a weird movie! They spent like half of it flying around over stock footage of Chicago, then when they finally get to interesting looking areas they rush through everything as fast as they can. They spend way too much time with her family, and, I’m sure that this gets mentioned every time the movie comes up, but the love interest is a rollerblading werewolf who eventually gets a pair of wings. It’s pretty bad, but at least the back half is interesting. I actually think it would have worked better as a TV show.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I want a prequel that is just Eddie Redmayne whisper-screaming.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:30 AM
Works for me

Default I watched a buttload of movies this week

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
I hadn't seen this in years and had a sudden urge to watch it again. Honestly its not as good as I remember. I hear people talk about this like its a classic but everything that doesn't involve the special effects doesn't really sell anything worth buying if you follow me. I was surprised at how breakneck the plot moves, I couldn't help but be disengaged from most of it, although parts of it still capture the imagination. Hercules and that one guy's scene was great when he skips the discus across the water to match Herc's throw!

The stop-motion is still the draw and still fun to watch, but I couldn't help feeling that it walks this middle ground between the completely immersive quality of traditional hand-drawn animation and the uncanny nature of middling CGI stuff. You can tell its fake and your brain isn't fooled, but its just so goddamn awesome you don't care.

Then I realized that this movie truly is all about the skeleton fight. The other monsters were pretty cool but in this fight, everything syncs together so well. They do such cool things like when the one skeleton does a sitting pivot over the wall like...now you're just showing off, Ray.

Fun fact, the actual Colchis was all the way on the other side of the black sea in the Caucus region. For ancient greek mariners that's a looooong way. Like, the greeks made a big deal just going to the other side of the Aegean to fight Troy. Speaking of which...

=====================

The Odyssey
Unlike Argonauts, this really was a movie of my childhood and my first exposure to the story. The 1997 miniseries is my favorite purely because I haven't seen any other version. But also because of that, its really grown on me with what it does well, and how earnest it is in trying to awe and create something great. This portrayal of Athena is and will forever be just the best.

Seeing this and argonauts almost back to back you can't help but notice the differences in old film making versus new. The 1960s didn't seem to look on ancient myth as anything you take very seriously, and the cheese was strong with it (and Hera's head on the boat was CREEPY man) but I wouldn't call any of it lame. The Odyssey has parts that are LAME. Having the ship's flautist play in the middle of a pitched battle, the damn cyclops's voice full of gargles and spittle. The entire sequence with Circe. You could make an argument for Poseidon too, but I always liked that effect of him in the waves.

The parts that do work really shine, though. Scylla is genuinely tense, and the descent into Hades was fantastic with the whole crew being heartbroken for him to have to go alone. Its a powerful moment. Christopher Lee as Tiresias was short but sweet, and everything that happens once Odysseus finally makes it back to Ithaca is the highlight of the film, easily the best part of the whole epic. When I watched as Odysseus strung that bow, saw him shoot an arrow through those 12 axe-heads, I was absolutely enthralled on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the reveal and reveled in the glory of the moment.

Watching it again, I love it all even more because of Penelope and how rich her side of the story is. I think you can make an argument that this isn't really Odysseus' story, but hers and Telemachus'. Her struggle with the suitors and her son's frustration are far, far more compelling to me than Odysseus' adventures. The point isn't really the adventures anyway, its the drama between a family nearly broken apart, and fighting to stay together. I teared up a bit when everyone finally reunites. Its that element, that love between husband and wife, the bond between father and son, that makes this epic so timeless.

=====================

Giant (1956)
This was on TMC and I watched it with my grandmother. I didn't know who half of these people were. I had heard of Rock Hudson but hadn't seen him in anything, and had only heard of James Dean through his fame. Seeing him onscreen I instantly understood the hype. Back in the 50s he must have been a breath of fresh air.

I don't have a whole lot to say about this one. Its huge, its epic, and I enjoyed it.

=====================

The Hateful Eight
This was sublime! Its painted such a perfect picture of horror. Every aspect of the film drips with revulsion and disgust. The people are horrible, and almost all get some kind of appropriate retribution or 'justice.' But none of it is satisfying, none of it feels like a criminal has been given their due, as though some grievous wrong has been put to right. Its horrific. Its gratuitous and needless and brimming with hatred. The same hatred that embodies all of the characters and drives them to commit murder without a shred of sympathy for their fellow man. Its that absolute lack of human dignity anywhere in the film and its unrepetance in refraining from justifying it. That's what makes it all so engaging for me. When Judy tugs on Gage's scruffs in a desperate reach to his heart in one last pitch for mercy, she gets a dispassionate bullet in her chest. There's a speech about justice, civilized and frontier, and how one is virtuous by its dispassion, and how passion so easily turns it into murder. Both kinds of meeted out in the three hours we spend in the cabin and all of it is unjustifiable.

The bedpost straining so intensely under the weight of Daisy and the cruel impartial laughter of her executioners says it all, really. There's a lot to dissect in this movie and I'm not fit to unpack it. Don't let yourself be fooled into thinking its gratuitous violence for entertainment's sake. There's a lot about the nature of cruelty and the exultation of human compassion on display here. It is the very essence of a tragedy.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
And the presence of X-Men comics as a vital plot point kind of... Raised questions the movie did not feel was appropriate to answer.
Marvel comics frequently brings up the fact that in that world, there are comic books based on real superheroes.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:39 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrieri View Post
Giant (1956)
This was on TMC and I watched it with my grandmother. I didn't know who half of these people were. I had heard of Rock Hudson but hadn't seen him in anything, and had only heard of James Dean through his fame. Seeing him onscreen I instantly understood the hype. Back in the 50s he must have been a breath of fresh air.
I really have to see that one. It's one of those super-long, important, epic classics that's been on my list forever but I always pass over in favor of a shorter movie.

I wouldn't worry about not recognizing most of the actors. Classic Hollywood hinged around big-name stars like Dean, Taylor and Hudson supported by performers just working for a paycheck who only film buffs recognize these days. Whereas today movies have a few mega-stars surrounded by a vast landscape of recognizable character actors.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:47 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Marvel comics frequently brings up the fact that in that world, there are comic books based on real superheroes.
And that's my favorite pieces of world-building in those books, but it's never been a part of the movies before.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Do... they pay royalties?
Old 11-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Th FF has a press-agent that relates their adventures to the writers at Marvel, so presumably they do at least.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:39 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I don't think so, but I do remember Steve Rogers had as a day job drawing the Captain America comic. Also because the Comic Code Authority is a gov't agency, the comics they produce are binding legal documents and admissible in a court of law. See Dan Slott's really good run on She-Hulk for more.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road