The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
My wife was extremely upset that her SUPERHERO FANTASY GUY lost both his Fabio hair and an eye, and has declared that Thor is no longer he favorite super hero. Not sure who will pick up that torch yet.
If I might make a suggestion.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:17 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

A tree frog has decided that he likes to hang out on our front door every night around sunset.

I tip my hat to this noble amphibian. My wife screams "KILL IT KILL IT".

But thank you for your suggestion.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Find Your Reason

By the by, are the Grandmaster's troops specifically modeled after Celestials (I'm SURE I saw three of the guys on the right) or were they just generically homaging Kirby? Because, on a second viewing, holy crap every aspect of Sakaar's design, from the architecture to the ships to the room decor is so Kirby it crackles.

Also I want to get the soundtrack but I dunno if I should get just the specific TRON bits or the whole dang thing.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Good Bee

On Thorst (thank you for teaching me this good word): Thor was already the hottest (Capn would have been a contender were it not for that criminally shaved chest), and the haircut has only made him hotter, though the eye's a bit of a turnoff imo (weird detached eyepatches are bad, that is just a shitty monocle, you have to tie that shit off to something to become a True Space Pirate)

Though now that I've said that, I weirdly want to see every one of those scenes where Spooky Cate Blanchett summons her Magic Helmet, except it's Thor and he's walking the same way and using the same gesture (and wearing the same outfit???) except he summons his long hair back instead. Or maybe just the same Magic Helmet? Idk, my imagination's firing on all cylinders right now, will report back
Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Though now that I've said that, I weirdly want to see every one of those scenes where Spooky Cate Blanchett summons her Magic Helmet, except it's Thor and he's walking the same way and using the same gesture (and wearing the same outfit???) except he summons his long hair back instead.
He summons his hair with lightning, but the sparks in his fingers generate static electricity and instead of flowing locks or a cosmic helmet he ends up with a blond afro.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
SO I SAW THOR: RAGNAKROK.

It was great. I laughed my ass off, which is exactly what I want to do while watching a Marvel Movie.

My wife was extremely upset that her SUPERHERO FANTASY GUY lost both his Fabio hair and an eye, and has declared that Thor is no longer he favorite super hero. Not sure who will pick up that torch yet.
I regret to inform you, BEAT, that your wife's new favorite superhero is going to have to become Adam Warlock. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but you deserve to know.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Find Your Reason

Oh shit, I forgot --who IS going to take that role? Is it too early to fantasy-cast Space Hippie Golden Jesus?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Oh shit, I forgot --who IS going to take that role?
I think we all know, deep down, who we really want.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
On Thorst (thank you for teaching me this good word): Thor was already the hottest (Capn would have been a contender were it not for that criminally shaved chest), and the haircut has only made him hotter, though the eye's a bit of a turnoff imo (weird detached eyepatches are bad, that is just a shitty monocle, you have to tie that shit off to something to become a True Space Pirate)
Hmm... Thor Odinson, Director of SHIELD?

Quote:
He summons his hair with lightning, but the sparks in his fingers generate static electricity and instead of flowing locks or a cosmic helmet he ends up with a blond afro.
Or maybe some feathered 70s / 80s hair.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:18 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Oh shit, I forgot --who IS going to take that role? Is it too early to fantasy-cast Space Hippie Golden Jesus?
Now I want them to cast an african-american woman in the role, just to screw up with expectations.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Seriously, Terry Crews as The Champion of the Universe, please.
Oh god, yes, PLEASE.

Quote:
By the by, are the Grandmaster's troops specifically modeled after Celestials (I'm SURE I saw three of the guys on the right) or were they just generically homaging Kirby? Because, on a second viewing, holy crap every aspect of Sakaar's design, from the architecture to the ships to the room decor is so Kirby it crackles.

Also I want to get the soundtrack but I dunno if I should get just the specific TRON bits or the whole dang thing.
Whole dang, probably. The movie had an awesome soundtrack.

Also, I really wouldn't be surprised if they went after the Celestials specifically for inspiration. The director said they were going for full Kirby for the Sakaar scenes, and I'm sure they mined all sorts of inspirations. I bet there will be some cool easter eggs to find for Kirby-obsessed people.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
I think we all know, deep down, who we really want.
YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Hmm... Thor Odinson, Director of SHIELD?
YES!

Quote:
Or maybe some feathered 70s / 80s hair.
YES!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:29 PM

The new Deadpool 2 trailer is a work of art.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Safe Space

Saw Thragnarok yesterday with my roommates. It was good! I was worried that the comedy would intrude on the drama, but it seems like they found a good balance. I also loved the soundtrack. It was so utterly unique from the usual orchestral pieces that accompany Marvel films.

The showing we attended had some technical difficulties, though... the movie cut out for about five minutes in the middle, then they were able to get back the picture but not the audio, then they had to rewind the film to the point before the interruption... But hey, we got a free ticket on the way out.

I'm actually kind of curious: if Thor does make it back to Earth with the Asgardians, will we get some variation on this scene?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I'm actually kind of curious: if Thor does make it back to Earth with the Asgardians, will we get some variation on this scene?
Maybe on a much smaller scale? Thor would definitely be upset at the whole business, but MCU Tony isn't nearly as much as an unrepentant asshole as that guy in the comics, and isn't enough of an asshole to clone Thor as a mindless enforcer.

I'm pretty sure the issue of superheroing in the age of the Accords is gonna come up early in Avengers: if..., have some argument between Tony, Cap, and Thor, probably have a minor scuffle between them, then get the issue out of the way.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:30 PM
Oily Butt Thing

okay, I am watching most of the Punisher show on fast-forward because as expected most of it is butt, but the bit with "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer was pretty good, props to Tyler Bates for that one.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
okay, I am watching most of the Punisher show on fast-forward because as expected most of it is butt
In a scale of "Iron Fist" to "Jessica Jones", how much butt is it?
Odds are I'll watch it eventually, as long as it doesn't have any freakin' ninjas.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Oily Butt Thing

I didn't even watch Iron Fist but I would say it is about as dull as the back half of Luke Cage. Basically it's a Bourne movie slowed down to about one third speed and padded out with enough non-essential subplots to make the running time.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
It just occurred to me that we basically got that in the first Avengers movie, so nevermind.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:39 PM

I watched the first episode of Punisher and wondered, "Does Frank always talk like that??"

I decided that, yeah, he does. So I made a quick and silly video about it!

Old 11-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Not a Beer

Just saw Thor, it was pretty great! Not much to add since I'm late to the party. My wife liked the humor in this a lot more than the GotG movies. I think probably because this:
Quote:
Thor cracks wise because he legitimately feels a situation is funny; his smiles are genuine. Rocket or Tony snark because they're messed up, and they smirk when they do so.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:30 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I watched the first episode of Punisher and wondered, "Does Frank always talk like that??"

I decided that, yeah, he does. So I made a quick and silly video about it!

This makes me want to watch the show more.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:27 PM
whatever it takes

God damn every episode of The Punisher feels like it's three hours long

more like The Punishment
Old 11-19-2017, 11:47 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I'm 3 episodes in to The Punisher and I don't dislike it. I joked on Twitter that at least this Marvel show lets him Punish people starting in the first episode. That said, the actual goal of the season didn't show up until the end of episode 3. It's definitely better constructed than Iron Fist so far. I also like how it goes slightly out of its way to make it clear The Punisher is going to kill everyone involved instead of...not killing them.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
God damn every episode of The Punisher feels like it's three hours long
I decided to start skipping ahead through every scene of people standing in an office talking and all of a sudden an hour shrank down to about 12-15 minutes.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM
This Guy

I started Runaways. The first episode is good, if a little slow. The second episode show you all the stuff that happened in the first episode that it didn't show you.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Gert does have Dino-telepathy, right?

The commercials implied a dinosaur, but didn’t show any...
Old 11-21-2017, 01:22 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I started Runaways. The first episode is good, if a little slow. The second episode show you all the stuff that happened in the first episode that it didn't show you.
lol

AHS just ended so maybe I’ll watch this.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:23 PM
This Guy

A dinosaur exists, or at least the tail of a dinosaur exists, which is as far as the first two episodes go on the subject.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:29 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Meanwhile: The Gifted. I gasped in pleasure when this episode revealed that a new character was an Emma Frost cloneling. Also featured: the “mutant drug” Kick.

Fenris appeared in earnest for the time, vamping around all “Guten Morgen. Ve are murder tvins and the main characters are definitely our grandchildren. Hissssss.” which would’ve been great but the show was like, “no Nazi.” They are “terrorists” implicated in genocide. Time will tell if they get more specific. I can see why they would soft-peddle that aspect, but then: why have them there in the first place? It’s not like Northstar and Aurora are far too mainstream for this show’s assortment of randos.

This episode had a v. cool, definitely cheesy fight between mutants as well.

So many concerned drips in the cast! (Amy Acker, Vampire Bill, Original Character) I still like them, and this show.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo