The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I remember someone tearing down the entirety of the experience that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow had to offer based on the presence of a "cake is a lie" reference stashed in one of the journals you found on a corpse somewhere in the game.
They're a hero
Old 07-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

You are formally invited... to the creation of my new galaxy!

Developer: Nintendo EAD Tokyo
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Wii
Release: November 1, 2007 (JP), November 12, 2007 (NA), November 16, 2007 (EU), November 29, 2007 (AU)
512 Points, 20 Votes, Highest Rank: #2 (Loki)

Super Mario Galaxy is the most perfect Mario game since Yoshi's Island (or Super Mario World, if we're not counting YI as an actual Mario game). I should probably write more than that, even though I don't know if I need to.

If one played Super Mario 64 back when it was new, it is very difficult to talk about Super Mario Galaxy without comparing it to 64, so I won't try. At the time, Mario 64 was a revelation in gaming, and it and Ocarina of Time established how the majority of 3D gaming would work from now until the heat-death of the universe. However, Mario 64 had... problems, to put it nicely. Going back to it now, especially if you didn't play it in the '90s, it is much more difficult to get into. It is still fun, but it has not aged well. Enter Mario Galaxy.

I suppose Mario Sunshine should enter first, but while it improved some aspects of 64, it didn't do enough, and it created some new problems of its own. Galaxy was where Nintendo finally figured out how to implement Mario's style of 3D platforming with vim. Mario, for the first time in 3D, is an absolute pleasure to control. The camera problems that plagued its predecessors are almost non-existent. the challenge is balanced perfectly, and there's just the right amount of stars you have to get to keep you from breezing through too fast, but the number is low enough to keep it from being impossible for the less able player to complete, while still having gobs of extra levels for those that want to delve deeper into its gameplay.

The aesthetics are wonderful, too. The art direction gave each world individuality as well as the personality one expects from Mario titles. Even though so many of the worlds fall into the rote "grass/ice/lava/desert", they are still gorgeous. There are plenty of unique areas, too, like one where Mario must become a bee and climb honeycombs in order to procure stars. Or there is the galaxy where everything is a giant toy. The only real thing that wasn't improved from previous games were the atrocious swimming controls (which somehow feel worse than the N64 installment), but you can't win them all. Some people insist that Galaxy's sequel is superior in every way, but I haven't played it, so for me (and a lot of other people), Super Mario Galaxy is the apotheosis of 3D platforming.

Let's hear it from Loki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
I’m not sure what to say about Mario Galaxy that isn’t obvious. It’s Mario, he’s in space. Everything is perfect forever. The end. Luigi’s there too. No Polerpup. Worst game ever. The end.

I play through Galaxy 1+2 about every nine months or so, is how much I like being in these games. I voted for Galaxy OG because it set the precedent of "Mario, But Upside-down" though 2 expanded and refined on the concept. But really the spirit of the vote was for both. Together they make one darn heck of a package.

I’m an experiential player. I play games for the experiences/tones they evoke rather than rich mechanical depth or narratives or whatever (though those things create the experience so it all comes around kinda). And the Galaxy experiences is…………………………………………………how to say it…………………………………………….mmmmoutTATHISWORLD BOOM

But seriously, the feels the Galaxies give you I mean mmm I just. It’s awe and adventure and excitement and introspective and inspiring and fantastic fun and it’s just everything Mario but occurring at a cosmic level. I mean, like, it’s Gusty Garden and those strings are soaring and those horns are singing and you’re leaping through the sky and you hit that star and jam that waggle and blam Mario launching through the clouds the whole of existence zooming under you and you’re having a real good time, you feel alive and the world turn it inside out and floating around in ecstasy don’t stop me now ‘cause I’m having a good time I’m a shooting star, leaping through the sky like a tiger defying the laws of gravity. I’m a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva I’m gonna go Go GO there’s no stopping me. I’m burinin’ through the sky two hundred degrees that’s why the call my Mister Fahrenheit I’m traveling at the speed of light I wanna make a supersonic man out of you! Don’t stop me now I’ve having a ball don’t stop me now ‘cause I’m having a good time don’t stop me now yes I’m having a good time I don’t want to stop at all la da da daah, la da daa da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Selected Track:
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM
if-then-eels

Wow, can't believe Sonic Generations is actually going to be the #2 game on the list
Old 07-12-2017, 10:51 AM
is Earnest

Galaxy is so good.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 AM
if-then-eels

It's very good. I didn't put it on my list mainly because I like the way 3D World does Mario a bit better than Galaxy, but that's not to say that Galaxy is anything other than extremely worth playing. Great game. Has a more-developed story than 3D World, certainly, so I can see why it showed up on the list.

still too many eels tho
Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
still too many eels tho
Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 AM
It's all good, man

Is this the only Mario game on the list? Maybe? We'll see I guess. I just finished Galaxy 2 on Monday. Both those games are extremely entertaining.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:56 AM
-ryn

SM Galaxy was 13 on my list.
I really enjoy Galaxy in a way that I haven't enjoyed nearly any other mario game. The 3d around the planetoids can be really mind bending, but there are so many concepts that are fun and creative. I like the mario ship in Galaxy 2, but I don't really like Yoshi as much and I really have a hard time with the hot pepper yoshi. I liked the first game best.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Spear of Justice

My favorite time-waster in Galaxy is to long-jump off a small planetoid (or ideally a tight cluster of them) and see how long I can slingshot Mario through space without touching the "ground" by using the gravitational pull of the planetoid(s). I think my record was somewhere around fifteen seconds.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 PM
There he is!

Quote:
It's very good. I didn't put it on my list mainly because I like the way 3D World does Mario a bit better than Galaxy, but that's not to say that Galaxy is anything other than extremely worth playing. Great game. Has a more-developed story than 3D World, certainly, so I can see why it showed up on the list.
Same here. Galaxy's definitely the best-looking Mario game, but my Mario tastes lean way more toward stage-based obstacle courses than open-level-searching (which is why 3D Land is my favourite non-NES one).
Old 07-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Tell me about your mother

Mario Galaxy is somewhere in between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 3-D world in terms of the balance of free-roaming and course-based stages. I prefer free-roams, but when the course-based stages are as good as they are in Galaxy, it's hard to complain too much (and there's still a few open-ended stages for people who like that sort of thing).
Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Bah, all talk. I can say non-euclidean until the cow comes home, too.
But do you use the word "squamous" in everyday conversation?
Old 07-12-2017, 09:32 PM
if-then-eels

Quote:
I remember back when I could spout off video game humor references like the best of them. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
chuck norris is so strong he made the cake into truth
Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Video Monster

Somewhere, I got this idea that the Galaxy games were bad because they hold your hand too hard. This idea originated from an opinion base that valued level design over most all other game traits.

I still haven't played either Galaxy game. If I ever own a Wii again I'll need to fix that.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 AM
It's all good, man

I think there's probably too much tutorial in 1, but the games do let you just play them pretty early.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

In the vast universe, the history of humanity is but a flash of light from a lone star.

Developer: Retro Studios
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube
Release: November 17, 2002 (NA), February 28, 2003 (JP), March 21, 2003 (EU), April 3, 2003 (AU)
515 Points, 21 Votes, Highest Rank: #1 (Beta Metroid)

Metroid has never been as popular in its country of origin as it has been in the Americas and the Europes, so it was not without cause that, in 2001, we saw Nintendo throw up its hands and say, "Fine, we'll make it a stupid FPS then how about that?" Of course the wails from Metroid fans were myriad, and the death of the series was certainly at hand. Surprising absolutely everyone, we got perhaps the second best game in the series.

Its residency on the GameCube did it no favors, but both being excellent and having a re-release on the Wii gave it an added boost, so here it is, the Game of the 21st Century that got more votes than any other (though only one #1, and obviously there is one game ranked above it). Actually, before the final cascade of lists, Metroid Prime sat pretty comfortably at #1. How much can change in 48 hours. There is no doubt, though, that it deserves the lofty height where it still resides. Retro did the unthinkable and the seemingly impossible all at once and not only translated Metroid successfully into first person but, in doing so, made an indisputable classic.

It helped that they understood everything that was great about the series, first and foremost the atmosphere and environments, and how the two played off of each other. From the moment Samus lands on a rainy Tallon IV it is clear the designers knew what they were about. Delve in deeper and one would encounter even more lovingly rendered environments: The dusty Chozo Ruins, the deceptively peaceful Phendrana Drifts, the submerged Orpheon, and the oppressive Phazon Mines, among others. The graphics and music intertwined to tell their own story of this world.

All that would have been for naught had the gameplay been subpar, but Prime is also one of the greatest first person games to exist. It managed to give the player Samus's perspective while making the encounters easily visible and negotiable, which was likely no small task. The sheer variety of combat options enhanced the gameplay even more (though bosses were still "determine weakness and exploit", though this was done so well it's hard to carp too much). Platforming was rarely troublesome as Samus tended to have a knack for landing where you needed her to.

The irony that one of the great master classes in metroidvania design is a 3D first person game is hardly lost on any of us, but I think we can all be glad it happened. Screw a Chozo Ghost forever and ever, though.

Let's hear it from Beta Metroid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Metroid
It’s hard for a series to ask for a more successful transition into the third dimension than Metroid Prime. This game captures the isolation, thrill of exploration, abilities that function as keys and power-ups simultaneously, and intriguing locations and creatures that made the series famous. It plays slower than its 2D brethren, and true space jumping and wall jumping are out, but it’s amazing just how well everything else translates.

But if the best thing you could say about Prime was “it managed to not botch Super Metroid,” I don’t think it would deserve a place on this list. Instead, it uses its new format to create an incredibly immersive adventure. Lots of games brag about putting you in their main characters’ shoes, but the lengths Prime travels to depict Samus’s visor and suit are really impressive. Most of its more “gamey” features are explained away by this setup, giving the player the convenience of tracking health, ammo, beams, etc, while the developers use the environments to create a very organic world.

The game has an interesting structure, telling a story through gameplay, with only quick, dialogue-free scenes to emphasize certain points. If you want to learn more, however, there’s a whole ton of reading you can do via the scan visor. This lets Retro indulge in a whole bunch of world-building, but the player can experience it at their own pace. It’s not only useful for gaming purposes, revealing structural weaknesses, secret passages, and enemy behaviors, but it also sheds a lot of light on the nature of the Chozo and Space Pirates (and the Pirates’ assorted antics give the narrative its few moments of levity).

Finally, the world is just really well designed. The derelict Pirate vessel is one of my favorite tutorials of any game, just soaked in anticipation-building, ominous atmosphere. You even get to use your knowledge of its layout much later in the game in a new context when you find its wreckage underwater. The meat of the game respects the player: There’s a main path of progression that you can’t really deviate from without some serious exploits, but the game doesn’t rush you, and you can find a lot of goodies by poking around away from the main path.

I can keep going on about all the little visual details, the spectacular setpieces built around the boss fights, and the way it prioritizes exploration even with the first-person shooter trappings, but this thread has enough content without me padding it out. Metroid Prime is great!
Selected Track:
Main Title Theme
Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Video Monster

I love all three Prime games but it's easy enough for me to rank the first as the highest (I have it at No. 2). Picking up two new Metroid games at the same time in 2001 is one of my favorite gaming memories - I'd beaten Super Metroid so, so many times that the promise of "see you next mission" was starting to sound empty.

These days I don't even own a Wii, but I still have a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy, just in case the capability to play it comes back into my life.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 AM
is Earnest

Even 15 years later it's rare to see a game with even close to the same attention to detail. Not only is every area distinct and unique, but every room is. It has great environmental details like visor reflections and condensation and seeing the bones in your hand with the X-Ray visor. The morph ball felt heavy, and the magnetized tracks really seemed like they were pulling against gravity. Plus, the scans often led to interesting bits of world building. And it was fun to play to boot! It's crazy how well they nailed it on their first try.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 AM
King Of Space-Time

You're a goddamned liar if you say the first encounter with the Chozo Ghosts didn't freak you out.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

I only played this for the first time like...3-5 years ago? I could look through my old posts to see exactly, but whatever. There were times during the game that I was really frustrated with it, but by the end I felt that the degree to which they were able to make a first person game feel Metroid-y was very impressive. IMO, though, a Metroid game in 3D by necessity loses some Metroid-ness in the transition.

I really like the game, though. It would be in my top 35 I'm pretty sure. The main problems I had with it were the amount of time it takes to backtrack, the increased focus on combat, and the Gamecube controller - using the shoulder buttons too much cramps up my hands, and this game requires their use pretty much constantly.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:09 AM
This Guy

Mario Galaxy was 7 one my list and Metroid Prime was 8. Both are great. I slightly prefer Mario Galaxy 2 to the original, but it is a very fine line between them. They are two halves of one of the greatest gaming experiences ever created.

Metroid Prime was actually my first Metroid. I never managed to track down Super Metroid as a kid and played only a few minutes of the original. I was convinced I wouldn't like it because I hadn't really enjoyed first person shooters to that point. I still don't enjoy FPSes, but I love the crap out of Metroid Prime. It does an unparalleled job of creating an alien world to explore. I never actually beat it, but I spent dozens of hours exploring Tallon IV.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Obsession or passion?

I voted for Metroid Prime Trilogy, but it was mostly thanks to MP3 and MP1. I've never really been able to get into MP2, and while it's on my replay list, it doesn't look like I'll be getting to it soon.

In the meantime, here's a remix that highlights how good the Metroid Prime OST was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x21k14XcHow
Old 07-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
I voted for Metroid Prime Trilogy, but it was mostly thanks to MP3 and MP1.
That one went towards MP 3 since that's the one you specified.

Funnily enough if it had gone towards the first game it would have been #1.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
That one went towards MP 3 since that's the one you specified.
Cool, thanks for letting me know! And I do prefer MP3 to 1 so this is the way I wanted it to be.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Mystery Contraption

Prime 2 and 3 were both merely very, very good.

Prime 1 was exemplary.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM
New Video World is out!

Didn't enjoy Prime at all. Hated the controls, after having become used to TimeSplitters 2 etc dual-analog shooting.

Then I played the Wii version. And I understood.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 PM
It's all good, man

I have the trilogy on my Wii U which I still have not touched. I did play an hour or two of Prime 1 on a Gamecube on college but I never got back to it. It was fine.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Armor Guardian

I was afraid that Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden was going to end up in second place, but it looks like that's not the case.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Little Waves

Genuinely surprised to see this one place this high. It nails the atmosphere of Metroid, which is commendable. But the game world is too scattered and sectioned-off, and the gameplay is missing any sense of agility or acrobatics. It's telling that speed runs are all about exploiting glitches like going out of bounds, because there just aren't many speed tricks to speak of otherwise.

I also recall there being too many points where you get locked in a room for a protracted shoot-out with Space Pirates or Chozo ghosts. Gray doors are nothing new, but there are a lot of them here, and they take a lot longer to sort out. The later encounters with assortments of color-coded Pirates that only take damage from one weapon each are a drag, as well. Just let me get back to exploring, please.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM
New Video World is out!

Well, number one is obvious as heck now.

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown