The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
1. Ninja Five-O
This game actually 100% deserves it and I can't believe I forgot to vote for it.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:02 PM
me want the puyopuyon

People really like Mario Kart DS. That would qualify.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:32 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Old 07-09-2017, 08:34 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Wii Sports will be in there surely. Also Diablo 3 seems weirdly absent so far.

No doubt Fruit Mystery will be #1.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

One day perhaps you will make atonement for what you've done.

Developer: SCE Japan Studio
Publisher:Sony Computer Entertainment
Platforms: Playstation 2
Release: October 18, 2005 (NA), October 27, 2005 (JP), February 16, 2006 (AU), February 17, 2006 (EU)
493 Points, 18 Votes, Highest Rank: #2 (Bulgakov)

Deciding on a screenshot for this game was so difficult that I ended up settling on one of the most iconic ones and calling it good. Besides, what can a dinky 640x480 really convey about this game, both aesthetically and thematically? The Forbidden Land is still one of the most superlative worlds to inhabit, and Wander's progression is still one of the gold standards in conveying story with minimal dialogue. Renaissance artists turned the text of myth into paintings, but with Shadow of the Colossus, Fumito Ueda put you smack in the middle of one and let you run around in it.

I cannot stress enough how, even twelve years and now almost three console generations later, the world of Colossus is still one of the most gorgeous things ever produced. Compared to many game worlds, (especially today's open-world offerings), the Forbidden Land is physically small. It feels more expansive, though, as you are literally the only person inhabiting it. You'll run across birds, lizards, turtles, fish, all of which you can interact with in surprising ways. There is the ethereal and untrustworthy spirit Dormin. There is Wander's faithful steed, Aggro. And there are, of course, the Colossi. Other than that, you are alone, and it is that beautiful sense of loneliness that pervades the game that sticks with me the most after any given playthrough. Riding around the world, even after you've seen it all, is still a very centering experience.

That is, of course, until you run across a Colossus. The game did Zelda's bosses one better and asked, "What if they were so big you could climb them, and then you had to find their weak points and take them out that way?" That's just the start. Eventually you have to figure out how to use the environment to your advantage, and then take on the final Colossus, which is the environment.

It is satisfying when you figure out how to take out these monstrosities and, your index finger cramped from constantly holding R1, deliver the final blow. The feeling of victory is short-lived, however, as mournful music plays and the creature enters its death throes. As you go along and kill more you start to question whether you're doing the right thing, which ties right back into the game's thematic elements.

As old as the game is, I still don't want to spoil it too much for anyone that hasn't played it. Its questions and purposely vague answers are much more compelling if you're not entirely sure how it will all shake out.

As for its flaws, the camera, as it is with any Team ICO game, is sometimes your worst enemy, perhaps more here than in either ICO or The Last Guardian. Some of the Colossi are downright frustrating, 9 & 11 being the ur-examples. Others, though, are some of the most exhilarating experiences you can have in video game, and those, combined with the immersive, beautiful world and the masterful story, are why this game is in the top 5.

Let's hear it from Bulgakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov
Shadow of the Colossus is a poem; in a sparse and vast world, there is nothing within it thatís unnecessary. Itís beautiful for what it doesnít do almost as much as it does. The entire game is purpose-driven and direct, but youíre given as much time to wander through it as youíd like, and plenty of space to consider your next move. There is not a wasted attack maneuver or inventory item, but you wonít discover some of them until the moment you desperately need them. There are both required and optional platforming challenges, but all of the gameís combat comes down to 16 unique boss fights, and itís clear that serious design work went into each one of these challenges.

Other than the most basic actions, everything you need to do is taught to you organically in-game (or with hints from Dormin). The story is given to you in small chunks of ďwhat you need to know right nowĒ and encourages you to ask ďbut whyĒ and fill in the emotional gaps of Wanderer, Dormin, Mono, and Argoís tale yourself. Importantly, the presence of those gaps and your consideration of your actions and feelings about the game as a player tells more of the story. Resonant design themes (large and small, emptiness filled with giant beasts, decay in paradise, the strength of ignorant drive, the juxtaposition of beauty and terror, standing up to the impossible, the consequence of blind devotion, hanging on for dear life at the edge of a precipice as an unfathomable force tries to stop you, the cost of doing what shouldnít be done) permeate every aspect of the visuals and the gameplay.

There are other games that engage effectively while lasting longer. There are other games with more complex play and depth-of-system. There are other games that tell deeper stories, and there are other games that use amazing physics engines to greater effect. Very few games manage to interweave all their elements toward the same purpose and story into a unified whole the way that this one does.

Iíve never really owned gaming consoles (I had a Wii in my house for a while, and a Game Boy as a kid, but thatís it). Iím not good at games that require a lot of fast timing or physical coordination. Theyíre just not my thing (believe me, after a 2-year daily LOL stint, I still liked the game concept but knew Iíd just never have the reflexes). Iím also not so great at 3D games because I get disoriented easily. Shadow of the Colossus sucked me in despite all of my own deficiencies. Loki introduced it to me at a time when I was coming over to his house once a week. I played this game that takes reasonably skilled players about 10 hours over the course of 5 or so 4+ hour evenings. The worst colossus for me was Dirge, which took me over 4 hours to beat. I had mistakenly thought the key to breaking the colossus was getting it to run into all the rocks in the zone, and I had to wake up a passed-out Loki to get a hint that I should be turning around and looking at him rather than running away. For me, the game was a slog, but I loved every minute of it. Iím pretty sure Loki regretted ever showing me the damn thing because I wouldnít stop playing it and I was so damn slow.

But I could not stop this game, made in a style I usually hated, emphasizing mechanics that I just never got, made on a platform where I had to use an (ugh) dual-joystick controller and where I had to control camera angles, full of challenges that werenít my cup of tea, until I was done. I didnít stop to find every lizard or climb every temple, but I definitely did more than a few. It was exciting and fascinating for the whole time. Oddly, the climactic scene didnít affect me much (though it was absolutely fitting), but realizing in the aftermath that he might not of done it for her, but for him was pretty impactful.

If you havenít played this game, play this game. Youíll do better at it than me and itís not to be missed.
Selected Track:
The Opened Way
Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 AM
It's all good, man

Lots of fantasy games go hard on explicit lore to create detailed worlds, Shadow of the Colossus ignores all that and goes for a mythic feel instead. It's a big part of why it stands out so much in my memory, and probably will until I die.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 AM
#deadfish2017

Explicitness blows. Vaugery is where it's at.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 PM
That bug is NUTS!

Number five is fine for Shadow of the Colossus. I'm fine with this long as something like Persona 5 doesn't beat it.

*Arrested Development Narrator trembles expectantly*
Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 PM
is Earnest

SotC is very good. Just a gorgeous, thoughtful game.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Yeah, Shadow was a big deal for me. It didn't feel like anything else and while having to memorize the bosses movements or use your wits to beat a boss is nothing new, this is a game were each boss was a giant imposing puzzle. And yeah, the fact that it implies a lot but doesn't spell things out makes the story a lot stronger than games with lots of cut scenes and exposition.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Gesundheit!

Two of the three games (SotC and Dark Souls) that have ever made me break a controller in my younger, angrier gaming days are in the top 10, and I love them so much.

(the other one is God of War, and that part really was fucking bullshit)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
(the other one is God of War, and that part really was fucking bullshit)
The fight against the Kratos clones near the end, right? I would've beaten GoW1 on the hardest difficulty if it hadn't been for that travesty.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
The fight against the Kratos clones near the end, right?
Ding ding ding ding ding
Old 07-10-2017, 12:56 PM
It's all good, man

My friend tried to beat that without realizing that the game lets you upgrade things.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Shadow of the Colossus was not on my list primarily because I haven't played it.

I imagine if I had, it might well have been.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Video Monster

I've played Lords of Shadow and it has some boss battles that are ripped out of SotC, so I've basically played it, right?

(ducks for cover)
Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

When ICO appeared on the list, I realized that I completely forgot about Shadow of the Colossus. If I hadn't, it would at least be in my top 15, maybe top 10.

The 13th one might be the best boss fight of all time.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Ruffian

Shadow of the Colossus was the game that I bought a PS2 for, and I was not disappointed.

The Last Guardian is the game I bought a PS3 for, but let's not talk about that.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:49 PM
who's she

I just cannot stand the climbing in Shadow of the Colossus. The controls are awkward, the behavior of the colossi can screw you over repeatedly, and it's all so artificial - I mean, they're wearing platforms so you can take a break. The giant monsters are wearing platforms. It doesn't stop being silly.

I get why people like it but the entire game hinges on this one thing and I hate the one thing.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Cool Bunny

I didn't vote for Shadow, but it's very good. I kind of voted for Ico instead, which had the advantage of coming first and I think frustrating me less. Things I remember from Ico are the windmill, the bridge, this one outdoor area near the start. Some things I remember from Shadow are not being able to find the boss and getting the message telling me what to do during the one in a lake where you stand on its head and steer it many times over after I'd figured out what to do but was struggling to make it happen. I also remember the world and standing on a running horse and firing arrows backwards, so I do have fond memories too.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Did you just stuff that Aperture Science Thing We Don't Know What It Does into the Aperture Science Emergency Intelligence Incinerator?

Developer: Valve Corporation
Publisher: Valve Corporation
Platforms: Windows, XBox 360, Playstation 3
Release: October 9, 2007 (NA), October 18, 2007 (EU), October 25, 2007 (AU)
512 Points, 18 Votes, Highest Rank: #1 (Alpha Werewolf, JBear, Karzac)

The list of television spin-offs that became more successful than what they spun-off from is short but notable: The Honeymooners, Xena: Warrior Princess, NCIS and, of course, The Simpsons. In the world of video games, the list is even shorter, Super Mario Bros. and Persona being the only two to come immediately to mind. Well, besides Portal.

Half-Life 2 had some of the most funderful physics a game had had to that point, so it only made sense that Valve would want to play around with them some more. What came out of that is second only to Minecraft in the "Recent Video Game IPs That Became Utter Phenomenons" category. It is well deserved, too, because like Super Metroid, Portal is about as close to a perfect video game as one can get. No other series has approached video game physics with such unbridled enthusiasm, breaking all the rules of real world physics while consistently obeying the rules they've set out. Some have criticized its replayability, but hogwash to that. Each time I play it, I come up with new solutions to old problems. Even when I don't, the game is just fun to play. The way the abilities and challenges slowly open up over the course of the two or three hours you spend playing it makes it beginner friendly, but it's not too long before all your options are open, so vets playing it for the umpteenth time don't have to slog through a long tutorial section to get to the meat.

The other part that makes Portal a blast is the writing. While maybe not as chock full of instaquotes as its sequel, Portal set the gold standard for humor in video games when it was released. GlaDOS's transition from helpful to menacing to somewhat sympathetic over the course of the game is Grade A++ and her character has been often imitated but never duplicated in the decade since.

As I said, Portal is one of those games that is about as close to perfect as a game can get. It even spent a brief period atop the entire list. Its quality and popularity are almost unmatched in recent gaming history; it's hard to swing a dead cat without hitting an Aperture Science shirt (or, unfortunately, yet another cake reference), and it's likely no surprise to anyone that it ranked this high.

Selected Track:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:52 AM
me want the puyopuyon

On my list. Pretty high. I think I mentioned when Portal 2 came up that I was a big fan of the short, well-tuned puzzles, the brisk pace of the game, and the clever writing. Portal 2 wasn't bad, but some of the middle of the game tended to drag (especially the bits between test chambers), and there was just too much loading between areas.

On the downside, Portal has much more limited Steam Workshop support, so there are fewer custom campaigns and gameplay challenges. But it's still pretty damn great.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:00 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Shadow of the Colossus is a poem
It's a video game actually
Old 07-11-2017, 11:01 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
big if true
Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 AM
forbidden noise

Quote:
i actually truly feel this is often overlooked
Old 07-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
I understand your frustration with the great games as art debate but dude did back up his metaphor.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:45 AM
King Of Space-Time

yes I know it's from Portal 2
Old 07-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
In my mind the most beautiful feature of language is its flexibility. It can be totally exact and literal, but it can also describe something using inexact or non-literal means. When the latter occurs, the ultimate meaning that a receiver receives from the communication is necessarily less precise, but as a trade-off it's possible to hint at additional meaning that is difficult or impossible to perceive with literal description alone. Importantly, this does not supplant or exclude the literal description; the two can exist simultaneously, and the friction between a literal and non-literal definition can itself create additional meaning.

I am constantly thankful that I'm allowed to visit a world of precision when I need to, yet also able to muddy the waters when it serves my purposes. I would hate to live in a world where that wasn't possible.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Portal was very good. Unique gameplay experience, great humour, and well constructed. JBear sat me down and watched me beat it in an afternoon. If a game is short and can be described as "an experience", he will do this. It was a lot of fun, especially the last act, in which you are encouraged to go "off the rails".

I feel like there must have been some people scared off by the fans and their insufferable cake references and playing "Still Alive" (a great song) for the billionth time. Its the kind of thing that kept me away from the Big Lebowski for so long.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:03 PM
me want the puyopuyon

I will say, the ending song for Portal 2 is much better than Portal 1's, but they are both very lovely songs in their original contexts.

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown