The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Video Monster

AHH! I'LL BUY IT AT A HIGH PRICE.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:42 PM
Armor Guardian

guys guys guys

it's spelled "4resident evil"
Old 07-06-2017, 05:19 PM
if-then-eels

RESIDENT EIVL
Old 07-06-2017, 05:27 PM
King Of Space-Time

BLAM BLAM SPLORT IV.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Little Waves

Resident Evil 4 is a perfect game and a great horror comedy. I don't know what the medium's Citizen Kane is, but this is its Big Trouble in Little China. Leon S. Kennedy is in for a lot of trouble, and you're in for a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
It's on PC. I got it in a Capcom bundle at some point, I'm pretty sure. I should play it at some point. It's just that zombie stories tend to make me break out in hives because zombies are boring.

There are no zombies in RE4. The unruly mob are living people who talk amongst themselves and go about their daily lives until they become aware of your presence. At that point, they turn monstrous and violent, but they still retain their human intelligence and cunning. It's a much more interesting situation than any given zombie outbreak.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
There are no zombies in RE4. The unruly mob are living people who talk amongst themselves and go about their daily lives until they become aware of your presence. At that point, they turn monstrous and violent, but they still retain their human intelligence and cunning. It's a much more interesting situation than any given zombie outbreak.
That sounds crazy.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Those asshole sure act like zombies. Their heads pop like 'em too!

You know when I can ever kill one of them...
Old 07-06-2017, 06:15 PM

I've seriously been meaning top play RE4. I loved Evil Within and I adore the mercenary modes of the later games, so I'm 100% sure I'd like 4.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Find Your Reason

Default This is my only contribution to the thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Safe Space

Default jesus christ this video is 11 years old

Old 07-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Those asshole sure act like zombies. Their heads pop like 'em too!

You know when I can ever kill one of them...
My wife couldn't make it past the village either the last time she picked this up and it was her favorite game once upon a time.

Difficulty is a bit frontloaded, that's about the only criticism I can give. Oh and the cockney salesman ruined all other merchants in every video game forever.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:53 PM
-ryn

Katamari in the top 10, this calls for a celebration.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:14 PM
forbidden noise

i tried to play this when it was fairly new and...it was a bit much for me. i do a lot better with horror and stuff now so i should probably take a real look at it sometime

in any case i didn't think much about its existence (and same with katamari) so unless all of my other six guesses are right i've missed a third one of the top ten

i'm quite confident about five of them, anyway, via "well x has to have placed higher than y" deduction, at least
Old 07-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Outer Spacean

I fucking love this game. It's spectacular and helped usher in a revolution in 3D action games since its release. Kishi pretty much described so many of the things I would, so I'll just keep it short and sweet and say it's amazing and worthy of this spot.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I have added Resident Evil 4 to my Steam Wishlist.

if it goes on sale at some point I will try it again.

I mean it eventually worked for Dark Souls, right?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
I don't know what the medium's Citizen Kane is, but this is its Big Trouble in Little China. Leon S. Kennedy is in for a lot of trouble, and you're in for a lot of fun.
That is an amazingly apt metaphor.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:28 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

You are filled with... DETERMINATION!

Developer: Toby Fox
Publisher: Toby Fox
Platforms: Windows, OS X
Release: September 15, 2015
414 Points, 15 Votes, Highest Rank: #2 (Lilfut, Sanagi)

Rarely has a game been so defined by its fanbase as Undertale. So much so that many people who might otherwise have enjoyed the game are afraid even to touch it. That is a shame, because it is truly a singular experience. The gameplay itself is pretty easy to describe: JRPG meets bullet-hell shooter. The game itself is much more difficult to get across in just words, especially without spoiling it.

The closest analogue would be the Mother series, though while Undertale shares much of its offbeat style and humor with that venerable creature, it has a very different character. While much of the Mother games were very much Japanese games taking place in a kind of nostalgic Western environments, Undertale has a distinctly American character channeled through the trappings of a genre that originated in Japan. One could almost call it Earthbound's mirror image.

That's giving Undertale short shrift, though, because so much of what it does is its own, while still borrowing heavily from the best of multiple genres. JRPGs and shooters are the two main influences, but the game also cribs from visual novels, mini-game-fests like Incredible Crisis and Warioware, Inc, and even a smattering of survival horror. It somehow manages to meld them all together into a coherent something different, and caps it off with some of the best writing you'll find in a video game. Sure, it's the same old story: Child falls down hole, child meets murderous flower, child must make moral choices. The game is infused with such heart, though, and I know that word is overused, but it describes the game perfectly. Undertale has so much heart they had to use one to represent you on the battle screen.

So it's too bad that some of the more uncomfortable corners of this game's fanbase have turned so many people off, because while not without its flaws, like any of the other games that have made this top 10, it is a truly great game that deserves anyone's time.

Let's hear it from Sanagi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi
There's a snowman in Undertale who asks you to take a piece of his body with you. That way he can experience a journey, even though he's unable to leave his spot in the snow. As someone who naturally plays the "good guy" in video games, I agreed, and in the ending there was a little blurb about the snowman being happy. Cute. Clever. It was much later, watching Undertale runs on Youtube, that I was horrified almost to the point of tears to realize that you can, if you want, keep taking snow from the snowman's body until there's nothing left.

I imagine there was a moment in Undertale's development when Toby Fox asked himself, "What if I do this for real? This morality system thing, this choose-your-own-path thing... What if I take it seriously in a way that no video game ever has? What if I see it through to its conclusion, take it to its logical extreme?"

Probably there was no such pivotal moment of decision, but I fixate on that idea because there is such a dichotomy between the fannish, furry-friendly, pun-laden surface of Undertale and the various layers of disturbing revelations that grow, fractal-like, from the narrative. While I've only played through it twice - after which the game asked me to stop - I continue to turn the scenes over and over in my mind.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:04 AM
-ryn

I don't really venture outside of our little enclave here at TT, so I've no experience of any bad fanbase. What has prevented me from looking any further at Undertale is the "bullet hell shooter" part of the description because I'm generally speaking terrible at those types of games and get frustrated by them.

I would ask: if I generally can loose a game of (insert a shmup here. I don't know a good example) in the first or maybe second level, can I still play Undertale?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
I don't really venture outside of our little enclave here at TT, so I've no experience of any bad fanbase. What has prevented me from looking any further at Undertale is the "bullet hell shooter" part of the description because I'm generally speaking terrible at those types of games and get frustrated by them.

I would ask: if I generally can loose a game of (insert a shmup here. I don't know a good example) in the first or maybe second level, can I still play Undertale?
I'd say the bullet hell moniker only applies if you are aiming to get a certain ending. The patterns you have to deal with in a casual playthrough are pretty tame.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:39 AM
It's all good, man

It's also an RPG so you can stock up on items to get you through tough battles.

Undertale's a pretty wonderful game. And it's cool how much it means to some people.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:44 AM
New Video World is out!

Probably the only video game really worth playing.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Sudden chomper

Wow, I was not expecting Undertale to place this high on our list. I liked it, but it's far from being one of my favorites of the last 17 years. It does have one of the best soundtracks in videogames, though, I'll give it that.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I'm curious to know if Undertale will make it into the top 3 or just the top 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post

You did that on purpose.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post

It's my opinion that "bullet hell" is a poor descriptor for the shoot-'em-up-style mechanics in Undertale's battle system, mostly due to the unpleasant baggage and extreme difficulty commonly associated with bullet hell as a genre.

There are elements of the genre in Undertale, but they're way toned-down compared to most BH shooters. Hell, I stink at shoot-'em-ups in general, and I beat Undertale twice (though obviously I did not attempt to see the Genocide ending).

But honestly, even as good as the game is, you're only TRULY doing a disservice to yourself if you don't at least check out the soundtrack.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Armor Guardian

Undertale is more "bullet heck" than "bullet hell".
Old 07-07-2017, 09:19 AM
#deadfish2017

It's bullet heaven
Old 07-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Natural Born Critic

I can honestly say that I have never been on a more compelling date with a skeleton than Undertale.

It was a pretty good date.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Video Monster

I had to revise my list at least once because I'd somehow forgotten to include Undertale in there (it's at No. 13). After reading about what you have to do to get the Genocide ending, and how the game treats you after doing so, I knew I could never do that. I don't think another game has ever made me care about its characters and world that much.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:34 AM
is Earnest

Toby Fox told me to look forward to this game on PS4 in Summer 2017, and that there would be more information in July. So, I'm assuming that I will play this one pretty soon.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:49 AM
New Video World is out!

Anyone put off by the notion that Undertale might be full of memes or internet jokes, don't be. It's as charming as any given Mario RPG. And more fun to play. And more succinct. And has a better soundtrack.

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown