The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Man I love watching Igavania TAS runs, they're guaranteed to be completely batshit.
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Much has been made of Valve's apparent terror of the number three, and the evidence bears this out. Half-Life 2. Half-Life Episode 2. Team Fortress 2. DOTA 2. And, of course, Portal 2.
But is it as bad as Capcom's was?

Quote:
Or, if you prefer, "The Legend of Zelda : I'm On A Boat!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Everything from "The Part Where He Kills You" to the credits is about the closest a game has ever come to making me feel like I'm watching the last act of a fucking brilliant movie. When I saw the moon. When I saw the motherfucking moon.
It was amore?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Or, if you prefer, "The Legend of Zelda : I'm On A Boat!"
Old 07-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

BONUS STAGE

Here in the second bonus post, we take a look at three games that got one #1 vote, and why these games are great. All the games with 1 vote and 35 points look good, but I figured three was a good number to go for, and I was going for variety among the three games. The first game is:

Bee June 3, 2012 (Voted for by Yimothy)

Thanks to Yimothy for the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy
Emily Short's Bee ("A story about work and spelling") is not likely to be listed by anyone as the greatest game of the century so far. It doesn't have fancy graphics, or a big budget, or tight gameplay, sound, massive sales, or really anything in it that couldn't have been done in the previous century. I might consider it the best game of the century, though. Either way, I nominated it as my top game for this list. I don't think there's anything bad about it, aside from feeling sad afterwards (which is also what's good about it). You play a home schooled adolescent girl in training for the national spelling bee. As time passes you choose between event sequences: studying or doing chores or talking to your sister or going out or whatever comes up (these seem at first to repeat - childhood is repetitive - but there are usually variations in what happens when you choose something you've done before). I had the feeling when I played it that the events you didn't choose were still happening, you just didn't see them. What you choose to do influences your stats - motivation and skill - and your relationships and what you (the player and the character you play) know of the world. Several storylines bubble along through the game, and the events you choose decide which you know about and how much you know about them. The non-study options are often more temping than study, just like in real life, but study has its rewards and I believe makes the spelling bees you compete in easier (for the player). The villains are uncertainty, financial hardship, embarrassment, well meaning acquaintances, and sometimes your family and yourself. The writing is excellent. I've never been home schooled, American, a girl, or in training for the spelling bee, but I've been an adolescent and this game pushed my feeling buttons and was totally relatable.

Unfortunately the original release is no longer online, but there is a port. Emily Short doesn't link to it on her website that I can see so I'm not sure if she's ok with that. The port is by the guy who ran the site which originally hosted it though, so perhaps it's legit. Unfortunately I found it to be imperfect: it's missing the status bar, which is a shame and means you have to infer your stats and the date, and I don't think "go-to: much-visiting on-arrival: world += 1" was supposed to appear in the text, but it's better than not playing Bee at all.

I just attempted to replay it through the port, which unfortunately ended abruptly I am sure due to a bug just as I'd hit a sequence which totally changed my perspective on one of the storylines. Even if you only get halfway in before it crashes out on you, this game is special and you should play it.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Electroplankton April 7, 2005 (Voted for by spineshark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark
I suppose it's a bit of a stretch to to call Electroplankton a "game." It's more of a toy, or as people who play games seem to want to call such things, a "sandbox." (The game's creator, Toshio Iwai, has since produced a physical musical toy as well, the Tenori-On.) There's certainly precedent for electronic toys to be popular and well regarded (for example, The Sims), but Electroplankton's premise and design seemed to bewilder reviewers and other players, and its limited release (originally only available online and at New York City's Nintendo Store) severely limited its potential reach. Certainly, as a package it feels more like strange separate pieces than a connected whole (when it finally came out on the download shop, they released each Plankton as its own separate software), but for me the experience of messing around with all the various parts is incredibly satisfying, from the rhythmic Hanenbow, to the melodic Marine-Snow, and the resonant humming of the Lumiloops. It's always pleasant for me to spend time with, whether it's moments or hours; it's pure, immediate, and relaxing, and it emphasizes unpredictability and transience, focusing on the joy of creating your own brief experience over elaborate creations. The packaging for the physical version is absolutely gorgeous, too, both the softly shining outer cover and the manual inside, full of adorable, fully-colored illustrations.

All of this makes it easy enough for me to look on Electroplankton incredibly fondly, but the icing on the cake is how beautifully it takes advantages of different aspects of the DS hardware. Despite the kinds of widespread doubt expressed at its first release, the DS and its successors are emblematic of the New Millennium of games, showing so much of the joy, variety, and innovation we've seen since this poll's starting frame of 2000, so in a sense I'm even happier choosing it to represent my tastes, as a pure representation of the system's potential for fascinating new experiences of all kinds.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Perfect Dark May 22, 2000 (voted for by dosboot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot
Perfect Dark deserves more recognition than being a 'pretty good' game. It is the crowning achievement of old Rare, the crowning achievement of the Nintendo 64, and, in this voter's book, it's the most enjoyable FPS ever made.

I. OK - WHAT IS IT?
---------------------
Rare took their previous secret agent game, Goldeneye, and created an original IP spinoff with the same look and feel. This time, the star agent is Joanna Dark and the game takes place in a near future setting. Imagine flying cars, researchers developing AI lifeforms, and international corporations with large firearm procurement departments. As these types of games are wont to do, you begin with a mission that unexpectedly unfolds into a higher stakes scenario. In Perfect Dark's case, that involves a conspiracy against the president, first contact with distinct good guy aliens and bad guy aliens, and fighting for the planet's fate.

Joanna Dark has a very loosely referenced backstory, but apparently she is some kind of prodigy when it comes to her occupation (her in-game profile boasts "She scored unprecedented achievements in training leading to the creation of a new class of training grade"). She works for the Carrington Institute, which is this world's version of a benevolent megacorp + counter terrorism agency rolled into one. The game points out that Joanna is the youngest agent produced by the organization, yet she is also cast as the competent and responsible character in story scenes. As a FPS game, it is pretty clear how Perfect Dark is derived from Goldeneye, but as a sci-fi story about a lady at the forefront of a para-military organization it's also easy to see comparisons with Ghost in the Shell and other sci-fi media.

II. FPS Design
---------------
If there is one thing I will always go to bat for, it might be the FPS gameplay that emerged and evolved from Goldeneye. And Perfect Dark is the best game in that lineage. Doom and Quake started the FPSes off genre right by giving the player a strong defensive edge. I don't know where FPS designers wandered off to, but unfortunately it wasn't learning from the innovations created by GE & PD and, thus, they now feel like isolated islands in the space of FPS design.

Take a look: Perfect Dark is basically "hitscan" enemies from start to finish. But the defensive edge is still there and perhaps stronger than any FPS. Enemies are programmed to take aim via a wide variety of deliberate animations before firing. This gives clear telegraphs that the player can respond to. Shooting an enemy will interrupt whatever they are doing (and there are tactical decisions behind shooting different body parts). It's a very simple concession, but sometimes game designers could use a 101 refresher that if you don't put good concessions in your game then you it leads to crude situations with forced damage followed by tacky health hand outs.

The second concession to the player (and also rarely copied...) is that enemies don't exhaust every last millisecond of their animations to update their aim between bursts. So if the player is moving in the right way at the right relative positions, they can avoid enemy fire and transparently understand why they were unharmed. Why hasn't this been copied in more FPSes? Who knows, but we can appreciate that Perfect Dark did. And it is a really hard game too! But it works.

You could take these two concessions and reword them slightly into a schema for how Dark Souls enemies are designed, which is a funny aside but if it convinces someone then all the better.

III. The Game is Stacked High with Good Content
-----------------------------------------------------
Maybe 99% of people won't care about these academic considerations, but they will care about where Perfect Dark delivers the most: iterating Goldeneye's gameplay with bigger levels, more enemy types, and more weapons. There's thirty-four weapons in this game! I know I'm not exactly talking to a group of Carl Sagans, so let's try to contextualize that big number by comparing it to similar games. Here's an easy way: does your game assign weapons to hotkeys? Then it probably has fewer guns than Perfect Dark.

Let's also appreciate the equipment in this game. Heck, that the game has an inventory system in the first place makes it feel like you are controlling a character and not just a floating gun. Much like the weapons, there's quite the number of distinct items and they tend to be semi-unique to each level. One mission gives you the DrugSpy robot, the next starts you with two combat boosts, and the next gives you night vision goggles. The same levels also feature the main presence of the crossbow weapon, the lapton gun (plus its sentry mode) and the sniper rifle, all of which fill interesting niches in those particular levels. It's a good example of how Perfect Dark routinely provides special purpose weapons and items with no fanfare and no nose leading (I think those 3 mission briefings don't mention your new items, much less recommend where to use them). You are supposed to literally play around with your weapons and items until you find the best strategies.

The game is also a completionist's playground that Sakurai would approve of: there's the 17 main missions (with 3 difficulties a piece to clear, all of which add new objectives) and then 4 more bonus missions. Every mission also has a built in speedrun challenge for you to return to and unlock cheats. Back at HQ, you can knock out a slew of challenges in the firing range - 3 challenges per weapon! There's also 30 combat simulator challenges (against bots of ever increasing difficulty) based on the multiplayer component of the game.

Then there's endless amount of custom challenges you can make for yourself using either the simulator or the regular game. Like Goldeneye, mastering the game gives you the option to adjust enemy health, accuracy and damage. You can also craft unusual 'modded' scenarios on top of this using cheats: give every enemy a shield or a rocket launcher, and then give the player some kind of handicap to balance it out. For example, start yourself with a cloaking device and your pick of one overpowered weapon (from the 'All Weapons' cheat).

After you've exhausted all that, boot up the credits one last time and let it reach those memorable final words... Perfect Dark is Forever.
Be back Monday with the top 10!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:08 PM

I apologize for such a short comment about Perfect Dark, it's been an unusually long time since my last playthrough. :p
Old 07-01-2017, 06:40 PM
is Earnest

Man, Electroplankton and Perfect Dark are great games that I didn't even think of. I've spent a lot of time with both of them.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 PM
who's she

Wind Waker has major and obvious flaws but it's just such a neat world, you have to love it. And that sailing music.

I didn't vote for Perfect Dark because 2000 vs. 2001 controversy, but it is one of the games I've spent the most hours playing. The multiplayer maps, modes, and weapon selection are unmatched. I've mostly stayed away from FPS games ever since because none have ever felt as fun to me.

Electroplankton was on my rough list and I think it's an essential DS game, but my actual votes went to the still awesome Korg DS-10.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Perfect Dark

BOTS

FIGHTING BOTS

ALL DAY

EVERY DAY

EXPLOSIVES ONLY

This was years of my life.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Outer Spacean

I really like Perfect Dark. I spent days upon days in the Combat Simulator just shooting bots. It was grand. Reading your comments made me really ponder doing a bit of that in the future, dosboot.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:53 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I skipped the 4 that came after it (the 2 terrible DS games
Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Tomorrow must be the day.

Developer; Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: Nintendo 3DS
Release: November 22, 2013 (NA/EU), November 23, 2013 (AU), December 26,
2013 (JP)
344 Points, 14 Votes, Highest Rank: #2 (Octopus Prime,
Beta Metroid)

Here we are, the top 10. The cream of the crop. And we start with the only game to reach this exalted level that I have not played. I don't have a 3DS, you see. Many times, I've gazed wistfully at the system while at a Fred Meyer's or Best Buy, imagining playing The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. So far, I have not gotten around to purchasing one. It's too bad, too, because I know I'd love this game.

Link Between Worlds is less of a remake of that most beloved of Zeldas, A Link to the Past, not even a remix, but more of a... actually, I'm not sure what the word is. Regardless, it takes LttP and makes it something wholly different. This even while it keeps most of the aesthetics, dungeons and musical themes of the SNES game. The two big spins are that you 1) Can now turn 2-dimensional when against certain surfaces, creating a whole new style of gameplay and 2) Have access to most of the items and all of the dungeons from the get-go. What I've seen and read is truly a brain-bender, so I wait hopefully for the day that I can acquire a 3DS and this game and finally experience it for myself.

Let's hear it from Octo and Beta Metroid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime
This game doesn't really need a heck of a lot of explanation for why it's ranked so highly. The original Link to the Past is (rightly) considered to be not only one of the best games of the series, but one of the best things to occupy a functional television with. And when Nintendo finally had the bright idea to revisit it fifteen years later (or thereabouts) they also had the bright idea of improving it with one small, simple decision; they made it (almost) totally non-linear and gave you all the dungeon items right from the get-go. After years and years of progressively more restricted Zelda games, this felt less like a gussied up remake and more like going from living in a crawl-space under the basement stairs to living in Manitoba.

Apparently Nintendo thought this was quite the improvement too, as Breath of the Wild felt like the result of Nintendo looking at this game, cracking their collective knuckles and saying "Okay, that's a good start..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Metroid
If I have to choose a favorite Zelda, itís going to be this one. It helps that itís built on an extremely strong foundation: Link to the Past holds up very well in its own right. Link Between Worlds polishes up that formula and makes improvements with a surgical touch.

First and foremost: I think this is the most accessible Zelda out there. There are no arbitrary wallet tiers, you can obtain the key items in whatever order you like, you have a ton of choice in dungeon order, and you have a comprehensive map with ample fast-travel options and markers available for points of interest. And then thereís the main collect-Ďem-up sidequest. I love this sidequest, especially in contrast with its counterparts like Gold Skulltulas and Korok seeds. Youíre told how many are in a given area, youíre given visual and aural clues that still donít necessarily spoil exact locations or how to retrieve them, and you get very respectable rewards at regular intervals. This last bit is especially nice, because the reward is upgrading one of your key items, and you can pick which one.

That ties into the next point: how fun and useful each item is. Theyíre nothing a longtime Zelda fan hasnít seen before (thatís saved for the brilliant wall-merging mechanic), but with the exception of the Sand Rod, theyíre all very useful even outside their designated dungeon. The upgrade system lets you make your favorites even more useful sooner.

Link to the Past had some puzzles involving spatial awareness, particularly with positioning between two parallel worlds, and this game expands on that greatly. The wall-merging mechanic offers a wealth of new puzzles on its own, and combines with warping between the two worlds to create navigation-based challenges that the series hasnít really seen.

Just some rapid-fire points to conclude on: like Link to the Past, the overworld is diverse and full of different things to do. You have a very wide berth for exploration even early on, and itís a joy to take advantage of because Link has never moved so fluidly in top-down form. The overworld music escalates with the plot of the game, and that applies both to the classic Zelda theme and the Dark World tune. I really like how the kidnap-victim MacGuffins were handled: The individuals have a wide range of importance/screentime before their kidnapping, and you may not meet some at all before theyíre snatched. You also may meet others, but not realize theyíve gone missing, unless youíre taking your time and poking around. The Lorule denizens have this whole cult of masked monster worshippers that is ultimately irrelevant to the plot, but adds such a welcome burst of flavor. And while the game skews to the easy side, there are some extremely creative dungeons in this set, building on and twisting previous expectations. The new Palace of Darkness actually uses darkness creatively, and includes the most devious hidden chest I can think of in a Zelda title.
Selected Track:
Lorule Overworld
Old 07-03-2017, 10:18 AM
if-then-eels

I should play that game. I always forget it exists.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
It's good!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:20 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Link Between Worlds is less of a remake of that most beloved of Zeldas, A Link to the Past, not even a remix, but more of a... actually, I'm not sure what the word is.
Sequel.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Well... stop forgetting. Please.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:25 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
I apologize for such a short comment about Perfect Dark, it's been an unusually long time since my last playthrough.
this is the first time in my life i've felt i had to apologize for not being carl sagan
Old 07-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Mystery Contraption

I often say that instead of "Hello".
Old 07-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Not a Beer

Ahhh, this is the stuff. I had LBW at #7, but honestly everything in my top 10 are games I consider fucking amazing so it's pretty arbitrary up here. Listening to the Lorule Theme track Issun linked is making me grin like a ninny.

Yes, this is partly a sneaky way of voting for LttP, but it's much more than that; LBW is very much a game of this century despite sharing so much DNA with our fave from 1991. Beta Metroid did a pretty good job of hitting the high points up there and I agree with pretty much everything he said. And god I love the soundtrack. Just like the rest of the game, it lovingly takes the originals and then adds so much more good stuff.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM
#deadfish2017

I'm sorry this game is so low. I forgot to vote for it.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 AM
TARANTUL

10 may actually be too low.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

I'll admit when I saw Octo talking about how highly the game was ranked I had to chuckle to myself as I thought Oh man he has no idea.

Although maybe he did.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 AM
Mystery Contraption

I felt confidant it was in the top half of the list.

And an easy second-place in my heart.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:17 AM
forbidden noise

well, that's one correct guess for me. it was hard to imagine it wouldn't beat wind waker.

i didn't vote for lbw, but i did really enjoy it, definitely more than any zelda but majora's mask and link's awakening. not that i necessarily think it's better than lttp, but there's tons of clever stuff and i really don't feel that it's overly reliant on shoutouts or familiarity with that game. it's just really satisfying, and i enjoyed it WAY more than i thought i would, playing it during a few days while i couldn't play dark souls ii because my controller broke.

it was way better than dark souls ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Electroplankton was on my rough list and I think it's an essential DS game, but my actual votes went to the still awesome Korg DS-10.
i don't view the ds-10(+)/dsn-12 and m-01(d) in quite the same way. it's definitely oversimplifying and unfair to say that they're "just" really good portable versions of stuff you can do on a computer (and i'm really bummed that the fm synth version, my-2151, is ipad-exclusive, i'm pretty sure i'll never have one)-the streetpass features on the 3ds versions, in particular, are a HUGE attraction for me, but ultimately they really aren't as unique and singular for me, and i didn't end up voting for any of them.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Outer Spacean

Link Between Worlds would have been in my top 30. It's a great game that goes well beyond its inspiration to begin the amazing shakeup of the Zelda formula that Breath of the Wild furthered, and manages to be quite captivating and clever. Worth checking out if you haven't!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:03 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I'm playing through this now for the second time while waiting for queues to pop in FF14. Playing it on a New 3DS XL and the 3D is surprisingly great. (Maybe not surprising, actually. I would expect Nintendo to make the most of their own tech.) It's a tad on the easy side and it makes me long for a proper remake - and I'm not even sure why since A Link To The Past is as close to a perfect classic as it gets - but it's definitely worth every bit of the #10 spot and should probably rank higher.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 PM

I forget where I ranked this in mine, but it's definitely my favorite Zelda of the past 15 or so years. Arguably the top 3DS game for me. It's definitely easy on the normal mode, but I enjoyed it so much, I replayed it almost right away on Hero mode and still loved it. It's open enough that a replay can still be very different, since you can tackle most of the dungeons in any order.

The only things I'll count against it are pretty meaningless: The streetpass stuff is really bad, and it has like 1 or 2 minigames for heart pieces that can get annoying if you can't figure them out. I liked the HR derby one, but I know it's not for everybody.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 AM
Sudden chomper

Aria of Sorrow is a good game, but I played Dawn first and I found it really hard to go back because Dawn gives you a dedicated button for swapping equipment sets. If someone could hack Aria to support extra buttons and give you that option, then maybe I'd like it more, I'm not sure. But I find the accusation that Dawn is too grindy to be disingenuous. If you want to ruin the game for yourself by grinding out 9+ copies of every soul and turning it into endless tedium, have fun with that. What I do is to just play with whatever the game gives me, which makes for a fun, varied experience every time. Soma has such a ridiculous number of abilities available to him that you could never try all the combinations - even with an equipment-swapping button.

I really enjoyed Order of Ecclesia the first time I played it, then found it to be tedious and miserable when I returned to it a few years later. If they want to give the bosses a billion hitpoints, then they need to give them more variety in their attacks. As it is, every boss fight just feels 5x too long.

Perfect Dark is a game that I should probably have voted for, since it basically took over my life for a whole year. Time hasn't been kind to it on a technical level, but there's such a great variety of levels, weapons and objectives in that game that in some ways I think it hasn't been surpassed. In some ways. The fact that levels gain added objectives when you increase the difficulty is simply brilliant and rewards replays better than almost any other game in the genre. Folks wanting to revisit it should look into the Xbox 360 port, which gives you increase resolution, widescreen and a stable framerate.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:08 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
10 may actually be too low.
It is.

We-we've failed.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
It is.

We-we've failed.
Truly, this thread is the Dark Souls of...

Oh right, that reminds me:

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown