The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Not a Beer

I haven't really seen any of XCOM:EU beyond trailers but the original XCOM: UFO defense... I haven't played either, but I did spend quite a number of hours watching a suite-mate play it during undergrad. Which I think is probably the best way for me to enjoy it. Permanent unit loss and best-of-several-bad-choices kind of decisions drive me up the wall, but watching the stories that come out of someone else's playthrough is great.

Cave Story wasn't on my list either, but I very much appreciate its existence. I have played it a bit, way back when it was just a free indie game in a scene that hardly existed yet but with great word of mount - which means I was playing on a keyboard, which I'm bad at for platformers, and I'm not sure I actually beat it; I remember having trouble with the final bosses. But what I did play was great, and an amazing accomplishment for a single creator especially at the time with a lot fewer tools available, and I'm sure it's even better with a little more polish and a real controller.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM
the :motion: stands

Cave Story would have been my #8, had I remembered it. Utterly charming, and completely unmissable if you like shooty platformers at all.

I used a ton of music from Mass Effect 2 when I needed some good 80's sci-fi themes when we did a Shakespeare play with a science fiction theme. Great fucking soundtrack. I should probably play it some time.

Gone Home is about a wife's struggle as whether to cheat on her husband with her sexy coworker as her best friend eggs her on. I guess there's some teenage lesbian stuff too.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 AM
if-then-eels

I have still never played Cave Story. I think it's because the second word in the title scared me off a bit.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

XCOM is fantastic. I just recently played through it again with the EW stuff. If you are up for it I also heartily recommend playing through the 90s original UFO Defense. Just a fantastic rollercoaster of a game.

But, then I even like Terror from the Deep...

Cave Story is great. I've only ever played the free, patched original but it was engrossing the entire type. And a joy to play.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:39 AM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
XCOM is fantastic. I just recently played through it again with the EW stuff. If you are up for it I also heartily recommend playing through the 90s original UFO Defense. Just a fantastic rollercoaster of a game.
Oh Microprose. I spent so much of my youth playing your games. I don't know if I spent the most time on Civilization, Xcom, or Master of Orion, but they were my top 3 games.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:42 PM

I liked both of these games a lot. Somehow I forget Cave Story exists, but I've played the original free release quite a lot, and then the Cave Story+ release on Steam only a little.

XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within are both great. I like 2 even more, but it pretty much needs playing through this game at least once to appreciate what's new and different. You can really see the impact of Civ in the way they create really compelling gameplay that's hard to put down, and in how EW is like Civ expansions. It fits and expands the original game perfectly, without any real oddness to it like a lot of other game expansions can do.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:18 PM

Default a well deserved entry

I put Cave Story at the 21 spot. It's both a fun game and a charming one...I'd try to describe it by saying it was the previous decade's Shovel Knight. There's 6 platformers above Cave Story in my list though, since there have been some remarkably good ones since 2000. (There's also one freeware game above it and 3 other games made by a single person, whew!)

Talking Time, Jeremy Parish and the Retronauts crew gets credit for getting me to play Cave Story around 2006. The early/mid 2000's was a time when 'Metroidvania' was the hot word, and the legacy of 2d games was being brought up while people stressed about their future. I think I'm unlike most fans though that I didn't appreciate Cave Story until 2013 when I replayed it for a humble bundle.

For those who are saying they haven't played Cave Story, I actually might suggest you wait until the right motivation hits you instead of trying to dig up the effort. Don't get me wrong, Cave Story deserves it's reputation, it's just that I think you might be like me and need to be receptive to the complete package (including its charms!). The 2d gameplay has fun quirks and light Metroid influences, but the gameplay started to sing when I wasn't placing all my expectations on it to entertain me.

I think Cave Story is a good "post-2000" example of why the 16 bit generation could be charming in ways that is perhaps lost by later generations (whether by trends or technology).

Last edited by dosboot; 06-26-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM
#deadfish2017

Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Well

Hmmmmm...
Old 06-26-2017, 02:03 PM

Let's let random internet people enjoy stuff sincerely without unnecessary criticism
Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 PM
if-then-eels

dark souls though?!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:11 PM
TARANTUL

I think what they meant was "It's the Dark Souls of Undertale."

If that helps.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

When I was a kid we had a Dark Souls but we called it Ghosts 'n Goblins.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Sudden chomper

Playing Cave Story a billion times for my son's entertainment really drove home how brilliant that game is. I love Shovel Knight, but it's pretty bloated in comparison. Cave Story is packed with unique places, bosses and characters from beginning to end and it even manages to tell a pretty compelling story along the way. I don't think I could name a 2D action platformer that I like more.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Well, they said almost
Old 06-26-2017, 11:46 PM
who's she

If Cave Story is Dark Souls, what's Blaster Master?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:33 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
If Cave Story is Dark Souls, what's Blaster Master?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Ghosts 'n Goblins.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 AM

So I've never played any XCOM game, but I played Shadowrun: Dragonfall and realized that while I like SRPGs like Shining Force, I just can't like SRPGs that involve ranged attacks (more than 2-3 cells) and cover. I really even know why, though.

Cave Story I didn't vote for, but I did consider it when I collected my list of good games worth mentioning. It didn't make it to the list, but it was close. It is probably somewhere around place 50 for me (which IS good, because I've played LOTS of games this century). It's definitely a game I'd recommend to everyone, but it's not a game that I ever wanted to play through a second time.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:00 AM
Cool Bunny

Cave Story is great. It looks great, sounds great, plays great. I think I had it at #7. I've played it twice, once on PC where I used a lot of the machine gun jetpack (also great) and didn't save Curly, and once on Wii where I got other weapons and went to Hell (but couldn't finish it). Maybe I should get the 2D version on 3DS and go again.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Would you kindly...

Developer: 2K Boston
Publisher: 2K Games
Platforms: Windows, XBox 360, Playstation 3, OSX
Release: August 21, 2007 (NA), August 24, 2007 (AU), August 24, 2007 (EU)
254 Points, 11 Votes, Highest Rank: #1 (four-so)

If, in 2007, one had played System Shock 2, then BioShock was a neat game with great atmosphere, but there were still many similarities. If one had not played SS2, then BioShock was a revelation. Much has been made of the comparison between the two games over the years, but it's hard to argue which game had more impact. BioShock, like Half-Life 2 just a few years earlier, muscled its way in between the US military and space marines and did something most people didn't know an FPS could do: Use atmosphere, found items and the players assumptions about gaming to weave a truly gripping narrative.

It also helped that it was one of the most user-friendly first-person games to that point (still is, as far as I'm concerned), but without Rapture and its denizens being so fully realized, and that now-iconic scene where player control is truly called into question, BioShock would have been disregarded.

There's still people out there, a decade on, that feel they must say "Well, actually it's just System Shock 2 underwater" every time Bioshock is brought up. I can't hear them though; I've got the volume cranked because I'm blasting splicers with my machine gun to the strains of Tchaikovsky.

Selected Track:
Liza
Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: Nintendo 64
Release: April 27, 2000 (JP), October 26, 2000 (NA), November 27, 2000 (EU)
261 Points, 10 Votes, Highest Rank: #1 (Adrenaline)

17 Years later and Majora's Mask is still likely the most polarizing installment in the Zelda series. Opinions differ on the DS titles, sure, but people who love Majora's Mask love it, and people who don't like it despise it. Me, I come down somewhere in the middle. It's a great game, and it did so many interesting things. I mostly enjoyed it when I played through it. Will I ever tackle it again, though? I don't know.

Making a followup to something like Ocarina of Time is a no-win proposition, so Nintendo decided to heck with it and made a game so wildly different it knocked most everyone for a loop. The three-day time limit was what turned a lot of people off, but I feel it's what really made the game shine. If you haven't completed what you set out to do by the time that creepy moon hits, you're tossed back to the beginning of the first day. Fortunately you keep anything you found (except your money unless you banked it), so you're not totally up the creek. But dungeons and quests must be done all over again. Fortunately you get a song that slows time fairly early in the game, so you have lots of time to complete the dungeons. And there's something wistful and sad when everything you've done for these people is forgotten by everyone but you. You helped unite the lovers, you saved the girl from abduction, but then it starts all over again and their fate is ultimately unchanged. All that you're left with is a mask and your own memories.

The game is decidedly not for everybody, but there are plenty who found something in this Zelda game that they never were able to find in any other installments before or since. It's not something that I particularly love or hate myself, but I'm glad it's brought joy to those who love it so.

Let's hear it from Adrenaline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Majora's Mask is not the most welcoming Zelda game, with an obtuse opening section and a constant clock on the screen pressuring players to play faster lest they lose all progress since their last save. But get past the annoyances and you find one of the most original games in the series, which leverages its reuse of Ocarina of Time's art assets to create an uncanny alternate world with a much darker story to tell. The dungeons and their bosses are well-crafted, the NPCs and their side quests are as robust as the series has seen, but until you actually finish the game, every good thing you do is undone when you inevitably rewind the clock so your quest can continue. As the three day cycle progresses, you feel the oppressive weight of consequence as the sinister-looking moon draws closer to destroying everything you can see. It's a terror the citizens of Termina relive over and over again. The masks Link wears to change his physical form are created from the suffering of people who have died tragically, and each time he dons them he is overcome by their pain and screams in anguish. Nintendo games usually aren't this existentially horrifying.
Selected Track:
Stone Tower Temple
Old 06-27-2017, 09:12 AM
There he is!

All my problems with BioShock are the ways it isn't SS2
Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 AM
#deadfish2017

Lucky for you Prey just came out!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 AM
New Video World is out!

Bioshock is excellent, and unfortunately subject to a bizarre sort of mendacious crowd of gamers who chastise it for its "terrible" story, mostly because it tries to be more interesting in terms of narrative than 99% of games and this audacity must be punished.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM
It's all good, man

I feel like Infinite gets a lot more shit for its story than the first Bioshock, but I could be missing a lot of shit talking.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:54 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I feel like Infinite gets a lot more shit for its story than the first Bioshock, but I could be missing a lot of shit talking.
I think this is true, but also Infinite did retroactively make people more suspicious of the earlier games.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 AM
the :motion: stands

I don't know how the FUCK I forgot about Majora's Mask. It probably would have been the second game on my list. I am shame. I think one of the things I like the most about it is the thing I like a whole hell of a lot about Final Fantasy X in that both are set in dying worlds. I'm really fun at parties, I swear.

I didn't vote for the first Bioshock, although now that I relook at my list, I probably should have voted for it over some other scrubs that made it on there. It would be... 19th (non-adjusted for all the other things I forgot, so it probably wouldn't have made it in the top 25 anyway).
Old 06-27-2017, 11:20 AM
-ryn

I had xcom at 11th. It is probably my favorite tactis game because it is so user friendly (but not easy). There are meaningful decisions to make, but it's usually between a limited set of options. It comes down to what you want to prioritize. I tend to not get paralyzed by all the choices. One of the few tactics type games that I have finished.

I had Bioshock at 20th. Say what you will about earlier games in the same vein, Bioshock popularized a lot of ideas about what an fps game could be. It reminds me of halF life 2 in terms of narrative and atmosphere. I am not great at first person games, but I do find them fun and immersion and bioshock really immersed me (haha) in an interesting world.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:31 AM
if-then-eels

I was tempted to put Bioshock on the list, but it was one of the last few I cut out. I enjoyed it, but I found its binary morality system trite, and its tendency to wall off characters behind locked doors and panes of glass somewhat frustrating. But y'all know me. Indulging my fantasy of putting a wrench to the back of the head of everyone in a giant objectivist colony.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Ruffian

There were six Zeldas on my list. Majora's Mask was my lowest-ranked, at #20. It's got a lot of great stuff in it but I just didn't care much for the dungeons.

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown