The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Love is OGR

I don't like Persona 3. Persona 3 Portable is good. I didn't vote for either!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:28 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Do the mobile ports run at a higher resolution than the DS version?
It does!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:39 PM
Nothing is more powerful

I voted for Persona 3 Portable! (And Ghost Trick, of course.) I am still baffled and angry that 10 years later, with dozens of Persona 3 sequels and wannabes, not one has realized the obvious truth that that sort of game is objectively better with a female protagonist. Except maybe Blue Reflection but that looks like the worst kind of anime trash
Old 06-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Sudden chomper

For the record, Persona 3 Portable is absolutely the best way to play P3. I don't necessarily think the game is better with a female protagonist (I've played both ways and enjoyed them both), but having the choice is great. And the switch to menu-based city exploration shaves like 20 hours off of a too-long game while losing almost nothing in the trade. The only real issue is that the 2D animated cutscenes were replaced by some pretty crappy looking in-engine ones in order to accomodate the new protagonist - but those only come up once every 10 hours or so anyway.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:55 PM
King Of Space-Time

Also, this needs to be posted.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:06 PM

As far as the whole Western vs. Japanese thing goes...

I have exactly zero Western games! Wowie!

Also, I'm just gonna come out and say it. I have a feeling Onimusha 3 and Mega Man Zero 2 didn't make it and that saddens me very, very greatly.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Sudden chomper

I like Onimusha 3 a lot, but even Jean Reno can't elevate that game to Top 50 status.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:32 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Was I supposed to submit this for use in the game ranking?
You could have.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Outer Spacean

Ghost Trick! I'm so glad it made it and this highly! Wow! What a game. I had such a good time with it. The animation is so smooth and the gameplay is incredibly compelling. Arguably Capcom's best game in the past ten years. Brilliant.

Persona 3 is a game that I liked a lot at first, but then FES came and kinda shat on my interpretation of the events of the core game and made everyone super moody and I was like nope. And then Persona 4 came along and IMO did everything better. But I'm happy to have played it and I think it's a good pick for a list like this, even though I've had a 180 on it.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:50 PM
TARANTUL

Can I play P3P without FES? Seems like the consesus is that's the best version and FES is bad...
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Can I play P3P without FES? Seems like the consesus is that's the best version and FES is bad...
On PS2, FES was just an epilogue that you could do or not. I never did.

No idea about whether you can just as easily stop in P3P.

---

EDIT: Forgot to talk about games.

This and Dragon Quest VIII would have made my list. Both games drew me in and enthralled me. Both were beautiful visually and aurally. Both had an amazing world to explore - Dragon Quest VII by walking / sailing / flying the overworld and Persona 3 by choosing your daily activities and watching as time marched on. With the exception of Final Fantasy X, I feel like I lucked out in which RPGs I chose to play on the PS2. There would have been a third one to make my list as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 PM
forbidden noise

fes also adds a handful of extra scenes to the main persona 3 game, most of which are really bad, though the extensions to the ending are worthwhile (i think all of these made it into the psp version as well). but yeah, the main selling point is "the answer," which didn't get ported over; it's a sequel to the main story with only dungeon crawling, though i feel that both from a narrative and mechanical standpoint it doesn't really add anything particularly worthwhile unless you feel a powerful hunger for more of those randomly generated dungeons
Old 06-22-2017, 10:21 PM
is Earnest

P3P does not contain The Answer. I played FES, but I just stopped after the main game ended since I heard that it wasn't worth doing the postgame.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:31 AM
It's all good, man

Persona 3 is probably the best experience I'll have with a turn-based JRPG, because I loved it, and I'm not sure if I'm interested in ever returning to the genre.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:03 AM
This Guy

I've been mostly away for the week, so I've got a lot of thread to catch up on.

Tactics Ogre might have made my list, but I assumed it wasn't eligible as a remake of a game from before the time period. I was really enjoying it until my save was deleted.

Dragon Quest 8 and Etrian Odyssey 4 were among the last of the 8 or 10 games I had to cut from my list, all of which have now made the big list. Which is more than have appeared from my Top 10.

I had Final Fantasy 9 at 15, and while I was upset about 10 beating 12, 9 beating them both warms my heart enough for me to forget that disappointment. It might not be the best game in the series, but it might be my favorite.

Okami was my #13. I love everything about it, to the point that I've now purchased it at least 3 times. It is long, but considering that we aren't exactly swimming in similar games and its structure lends itself to being played in chunks, I am more than happy that Clover Studios repeatedly chose more instead of less.

Persona 3 was at 21. It would have ranked higher, but I somewhat prefer its sibling, which forced this one down the list some. It was a refreshing new take on the JRPG that more than deserved its success.

I didn't even think of Ghost Trick, but it probably would have made my list if it had. It is just such a delight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Also, I'm just gonna come out and say it. I have a feeling Onimusha 3 and Mega Man Zero 2 didn't make it and that saddens me very, very greatly.
I'm more of an Onimusha 2 fan (I have a fetish for branching paths) but I haven't played any of them in about a decade and none of them sniffed my list. I might need to revisit them. But that is how I feel about a lot of PS2 games and I probably won't.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Falcon punch!

Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: GameCube
Release: November 21, 2001 (JP), December 3, 2001 (NA), May 24, 2002 (EU),
May 31, 2002 (AU)
225 Points, 10 Votes, Highest Rank: #4 (Johnny Unusual, Karzac)

And here is the first game with double-digit votes (which will be most of them from here on out). My only experience with the Smash Bros. franchise is the Wii U version, but I can't think things have changed that much over the years. The basic premise of the games is controlled chaos: It may look like a horrible mess, but there's actually some really complex systems under there. It's for you to figure them out. One could argue that the newer games make more improvements, and some have ranked the Wii and Wii U versions higher, but Melee, through accident or fortune, has become the premiere competitive version of the Smash Bros. franchise. It's also fondly remembered because, I imagine, the GameCube is fondly remembered. Any of us who had one feel the same way about it as those of us who remember the Dreamcast: A console with wonderful, iconoclastic games that had to compete with the powerhouse PS2 and the h4rdc0r3 l337 XBOX, and just couldn't.

So one could argue that the history of Melee is the history of the GameCube: Something that didn't register in the mass market for very long, but has a staying power among those aficionados that champion it over a decade later.

Plus multiplayer Smash is the best party.

Let's hear it from Johnny Unusual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual
It wasn't a game I owned (I never owned a Gamecube) but me, JBear and two other friends played this game seemingly every Saturday Night. JBear eventually grew tired of it, but I rarely tire of such games.

I generally have a soft spot for fighting games and the Smash Bros. series did a fantastic job taking what people like about those and adding a lot of other elements to make them more fun. It's not just that you are playing with your favourite characters, but the series had other clever innovations: rather than a life bar, there was a damage percentage. You could take a lot of damage and still turn the whole thing around with a lot of well placed moves. It was also closer in style to a platformer and, in a way, is sort of a great extension of the original Mario Bros. game (the one that wasn't super).

Not much of this had been done already in the 90's Smash Brothers game, but Melee just had, well, more. Sure there were other innovations, but this one just had more of everything.

I played Brawl as well, and it is also very good but 1) I played Melee MUCH more and 2) for all of its other improvements, I never liked the addition of the world beating "Final Smash" ability. Any fighting game that stops the action for a cut scene tends to get a minor negative point from me.
Selected Track:
Opening
Old 06-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Our analysis of organic humor suggests an 87.3% chance that you expect us to respond with, "You are only human."

Developer: Bioware
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Platforms: XBox 360, Playstation 3, Windows
Release: January 26, 2010 (NA), January 28, 2010 (EU), January 29, 2010 (AU)

226 Points, 8 Votes, Highest Rank: #1 (NavelsAreNeat,
le geek)

With good reason, the Mass Effect series is considered BioWare's finest hour. It manages to be the "story YOU tell" that we always wanted video games to be, and in a way few games have matched.

Let me qualify that: The plot itself happens pretty much the same way no matter what, but the development of Commander Shepard and his/her crew goes the way you want it to. You can make Shepard a simpering saint or an unrepentant asshole. Or, like me you can make them a fully nuanced honest-to-gods character. The other thing Mass Effect does so well is cover shooter mechanics. While ostensibly an RPG, it's the shooter part that shines. After being turned off by Gears of War I thought I'd never play another cover shooter. Then I played Mass Effect.

All well and good for the series, but above all shines the second installment. While it, unfortunately, deemphasized exploration, it told one of the best stories in gaming. The search for Harbinger, the mystery of Illusive Man, Shepard's "death" and redemption, and all the missions that bring life to both the galaxy and your crew. Old friends, new foes, and rebuilt locations made for a truly compelling adventure. And that endgame. Holy cow that endgame. My only real gripe is that FemShep can't get sexytimes with Tali or Miranda, so I just didn't bother. I mean, Jacob's all right and all, but he's still blandsville.

I have played many games where you create your own character, but only the Mass Effect series has gotten me truly attached to that character, and it is because of the second installment that my Shep is one of my favorite characters in gaming.

Plus she is so much better than your Shep (*note: we all feel this way about our Shep [mine really is bestShep, though]).

Let's hear it from le geek and NavelsAreNeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le geek
The first Mass Effect was an amalgam of Star Wars, Star Trek and every 1980s hard Sci-Fi paperback with a spaceship on it. Combat was rough around the edges, side quest were repetitive — driving the “Big Trak” planet rover was rough, period — yet the writing, characters and alienness were top notch. Then Mass Effect 2 improved on the first game in nearly every way.

Combat was now cover-based third person shooting. Side missions were more fleshed out. More importantly, the story quickly knock your legs out from under you, placing you within a shadowy organization, wondering what happened to your previous squad mates and wondering if what you are doing is actually right or wrong.

Mass Effect 2 is where the story became greater than the sum of its borrowed Sci-Fi parts, and where, when I had to make hard choices, I felt like I was actually role playing. On a side note, Lair of the Shadow Broker, may be my favorite DLC of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat
Mass Effect 2, sequel to 2007's Mass Effect, is the series' high point. (...to this poster!) ME2 begins with Commander Shepard, SPECTRE and Alliance officer, dying as her or his ship is attacked by a mystery opponent. Shepard's then resurrected by Cerberus, a pro-human organization which specializes in creating mad science monsters which violently betray it. (Shepard included!) Under the auspices of Cerberus, Shepard assembles and leads a team to investigate a mysterious threat which is abducting human colonies wholesale.

The producers weren't quite sure how the initial ME trilogy would would end, (this game includes some dark energy subplot which disappears by the next game) so this game is focused on its large and colorful cast more than the first and third game. This is an excellent middle entry. Most of your mission time is focused on recruiting and earning the loyalty of Shepard's companions. There's a squadmate or several who you'll like and they all get their moment. The biggest flaw is that they don't interact much, unlike squadmates in the first or subsequent games. Aside from their personal nemeses, you can't really get a sense of what Shepard's squadmates think of each other until ME3's final DLC.

When it comes to exploration, you aren't exploring open worlds, but you can visit a variety of diverse (if small) cityscapes in between completing missions. (Definitely a plus for me - I loved exploring the Citadel in the first game; didn't care for driving around on moons) Scanning for resources is annoying. Maybe the most annoying thing in the game? If you are a fan: cool. It's wonderful to enjoy all parts of great games. Even bad parts.

Occasionally, by choice or accident, you'll move the main plot forward and ultimately face a choice of beginning the suicide mission (there's a suicide mission, yeah) early out of urgency, or more fully preparing. Stressful!

I was almost fully charmed by Mass Effect when I played it and liked its gameplay, but Mass Effect 2 really kicks things up a notch. It's a hybrid cover shooter/RPG and just a ton of fun. It simplifies the weapon/inventory system (good) and gives each class/"profile" some distinct and awesome new abilities. (Charge!) There are fewer abilities, but they're more rad and as you level up, you can make interesting choices as to how they work. This is the only cover shooter I've ever played, so as far as I know, it's the best.

Oh the music's really good, too.
Selected Track:
Suicide Mission
Old 06-23-2017, 08:24 AM
King Of Space-Time

Regardin SMB Melee; Hell, my Nephew asked me for a new Gamecube controller so he could keep playing this. It's a solid entry.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

And with that, we're now in Top 20 territory. I'm going to be handling weekends a bit differently from here on out: Saturdays will be "bonus post" days (meaning not listing top 50 stuff, more of an interlude) and no post on Sundays. Regularly scheduled programming will resume on Mondays.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Outer Spacean

Melee is a fantastic game. I like Wii U more, but I can understand the staying power behind the Gamecube classic. There's arguably the best distribution of stages in the whole franchise for its fighting lineup, with some still remaining some of the best arenas (some of which never made the leap to the other games, which is disappointing...), and the cast more than doubled from the first game. Can't complain!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Video Monster

Aw yeah. These were both on my list. I had Melee at No. 8. Easily one of the most important games of my life. Counting the whole Smash series, it's the most consistent social game I've ever played - I played the original and Melee with my high school friends, and I played Melee and Brawl with my college friends.

Melee has been the lasting choice, it seems, because of how it accidentally inspired a deep and competitive tournament scene (that only uses Marth and Fox). Brawl made some changes that seemed to be actively hostile toward serious tourney players, which only increased Melee's popularity.

Smash 4 in my opinion married those two playstyles perfectly, but unfortunately, due to not owning a Wii U, it just hasn't had as big of a place in my life as the past Smashes. I miss those times.

Mass Effect 2 was at No. 6 on my list (I originally had ME 1 through 3 in that slot, but that's an illegal choice). The ME series was the first major western RPG I played, and I'd never had an experience like that before. It was an Extra Credits video explaining the importance of choice in games that led me to pick the series up (well after ME2 had come out), and I absolutely loved it.

ME1 was fun, but it didn't strike an emotional note with me until the very last segment when Sovereign attacks the Citadel. What ME2 and 3 did was run with that feeling through two entire games, and I loved them both. ME2 in particular did something that I'd never experienced in a game - not just made me care about its characters, but make my choices matter regarding what happened to them.

In particular, the suicide mission. In other RPGs, when the endgame becomes available, I would tool around the world and finish up sidequests until I felt ready to handle the final area. So I did a couple of errands before heading out on the mission, and I was greeted with some of my crewmates dying horribly. I then learned that if I'd headed straight to the mission, they needn't have died. Shit.

Then, during the mission itself, I made a couple of poor choices, and some of my characters died. I was not prepared for this. Games don't do this sort of thing. I beat the final boss, but the losses I'd sustained beat on me. Eventually, I reloaded my save and re-did the mission, this time making the right choices, and got out with all of my friends. Unfortunately, I didn't have a save that was made before I'd done the sidequests, so I had to live with half of my crew dying.

Only one other game has managed to connect its characters with me in the way the ME series did, and I expect it to be on this list.

Also Tali is the best video game character.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 AM
is Earnest

I voted from Smash Bros. Brawl and Mass Effect 3, but Melee and ME2 are great too!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:54 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Smash Bros! I am not good enough at Smash Bros to really understand the differences that people complain about between Melee, Brawl and WiiU/3DS so I just voted for the one that seemed to be the best regarded among those that can.

Great game, I really agree with the iconoclast description. Nintendo at its finest.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Never played a smash bros game, though I've watched people play it and it looked pretty boring (battles just took too long). I heard it's more fun if all the players actually know what they are doing, though!

Mass Effect 2? I dunno, I played Mass Effect 1 and except the first part where you basically had to talk for 10 hours without anything interestin happening, it was quite solid, although menu handling was probably the worst I've ever seen. I heard Mass Effect 2 was better so I was really looking forward to it, but the whole thing was a huge disappointment. There was basically no story other than "Go get party members" and that "Mining" mini game was so incredibly boring. Also wasn't fond that they introduced limited and make the whole thing real more like an FPS than an RPG. From this series I learned that I need to avoid shooters at all cost because they really aren't for me.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 AM
if-then-eels

I love me some smash bros, but with a few exceptions my list tended to be games that I could play on my own and still get a lot of enjoyment out of. I think the WiiU game is overall better than Melee, though I still have a soft-spot for its adventure mode (which was a sort of ersatz story-mode brawler with a prototype of nes remix) and the sleek futuristic design of the interface and some of the minigames.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:26 AM
It's all good, man

Two great games. I played more Smash Melee than probably any other game in college and ME2 is probably the best structured of any Bioware game, with fun combat this time.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:36 AM
-ryn

I voted for ME1 because it was the first game that established the universe and its the one I've replayed the most. That being said, ME2 really is the better game and probably deserves the spot more than ME1, so I'm very happy that 2 got on the list.

I don't really like fighting games. Smash is the only one that I'd be willing to play if asked and it can be fun with the extended family because everyone has a character they know and like on the roster.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Default Life at 60 FPS: Talking Time's Top 50 Games of the 21st Century

I voted for the original ME because of its ambition, despite the pacing and combat flaws, but ME2 was definitely the high-point for fun and playability.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 AM
This Guy

I didn't have Mass Effect 2 on my list, but I approve of its placement on the list. I first played it last year and really enjoyed it.

I played a ton of Melee at the tail end of HS and in college and good times were had by all, but it didn't make my list. Hot Take: Melee is the worst Smash Bros game. Give me Brawl or 4 over it everyday of the week.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Hot Take: Melee is the worst Smash Bros game. Give me Brawl or 4 over it everyday of the week.
What about 64?

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown