The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-10-2017, 01:00 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
The Last of Us has the best writing, cinematography, acting, and direction out of any video game I have ever played, by far, and I am very glad that I can watch other people play it, because few things interest me less than a bland cover based shooter punctuated by slowly moving ladders around.
Disingenuous bullshit. You also move planks of wood and pallets.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Despite having lived in West Virginia for about 6 years, I never went out and visited Silent Hill myself.
It's about a 3-hour drive from me. One of these days I'll make a weekend trip out of it.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Security Breached Analyzing Data 10%

Developer: United Game Artists
Publisher: Sega
Platforms: Dreamcast, Playstation 2
Release: November 22, 2001 (JP), January 7, 2002 (NA), January 11, 2002 (EU DC), February 22, 2002 (EU PS2)

131 Points, 6 Votes, Highest Rank: #8 (Westerhof)

Rez makes me wish I weren't terrible at shooters. It's the rare truly unique game, and it's a shame I'll probably never get past area 2.

What makes Rez one-of-a-kind is the way it blends a rail-shooter with a music game. It came about at the only period in time it could, when companies were making experimental stuff like Parappa and Vib Ribbon. Rez took this to what could be considered the next evolutionary stage and made a shooter where every action you take changes the soundtrack. Tap the button, you get a drum machine attack. Tap it quickly and you'll get a staccato beat. It's when you start hitting targets and powering up that the soundtrack truly begins to work. It goes from a minimalist piece of nothing into full-blown trance. And the word trance is truly apropos, as the music combined with the flowing vector graphics and the lock-on and shoot mechanic can form a very zen state of mind.

Until you die again because you suck at shooters.

Selected Track:
Protocol Rain
Old 06-10-2017, 07:50 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Wow, I voted for Rez but I wasn't expecting it to place! Good show, Talking Time.

You summed it up really well. Rez is just a wonderfully unique experience, really like none other I've had in a video game. I haven't played it in years, thought… I really ought to get the PS4 remaster sometime.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:05 PM
King Of Space-Time

Never Forget.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Rez is one of the very few games that just does nothing for me. The shooting aspect is simplistic. The music just goes right through me.

I know for many people it is/was a powerful experience but after I played it I was just left asking, "huh?"
Old 06-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I didn't vote for Rez, because I only ever played it once for a few hours, but those hours have stuck with me all these years later, and it was absolutely a singular, transcendent experience.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Not a Beer

Nice, I did vote for Rez. Just an amazing experience all 'round. In addition to the obvious high points with the music, the boss encounters are inventive and fantastically effective. Played it lots of times and unlocked most of the stuff you can get, though I don't think I ever mastered the hardest difficulties. I'm not a big shooter guy either, but Rez clicked pretty well.

I did not, sadly, have the trance vibrator though.

I also picked up Child of Eden, its sort-of-sequel, and it's very pretty, but wasn't quite able to re-bottle the lightning.

We should really get Shivam in here to talk about Rez changing his life, though...
Old 06-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Is there not one thing

Rez is w̙̹̭̹̳͡or̳͚̪͔̺̕s̰̺e̷̲̘̩͖̠͇̖ ̴̵̼͇͙̖͔̝̺̻̠̭͔͡ͅt̳̘̱̰̺͎̼̤͟͞͡h̡̨̛̬͇̤̜̥́͜a̷̢̡̨̖̩̱͖̞͎n ̵̨̝̖̤̗̟̘̘̰͓̳̭͙̫̟̯͉̀ ̷̵̷͙̞̺̭̞̠̜̞̳̲̱̣̺͓̜̣͟H̶̸͏͕͇̲̫͉̟͈͖̮o͏̀҉̶̢͎͓̬̭̗̦̠̟̗͚ͅ ̰͕t̕͏̸̡̻̦͉͚̭͓͘l̴̶̛̼͎̕͞ͅi̸̷̡̢̛̗̭͙̺͉n̡̖̠̯̞͉̮͕̬̳͞͠ę͠ ̷̨̭͔͔͕͢ͅ ͏̛̜͓̩͎̳̫Ṃ̧̲̱̻̪͕͚̥̯̀i͖͎̤͓͢a̷҉̝̦̜͎̝͕͘͞m͘͏͚͔͉͙͍̫͍͍͔͡ ̰̮͓̤̣͓͔̖͕i̷͎̜̮̞͘͟͟ ҉̴̗̪̱͇͖͚͔̗͔ͅb̢̜͔̹̫̣̫́ȩ̴̨̲͖̤̰͓̖̘͚͍͇̜̲̮̪̀c̨͎͔̠̻͔͝͝͡ ̟ą̛͕̞̻̭͎̞̼̹̀̕͝ù̷̡̪̭̳̩͇͙͞s̶̮̫̠͖̖͉̳͚͎̩̘̱͚̙̯̭̲͓͡ͅe͏ ̡͏̧̟̗̺̳̬̖͝:̵̡͉̥͍͕͎̗̗͝͞ͅ

error no data in file
Old 06-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Rez is w̙̹̭̹̳͡or̳͚̪͔̺̕s̰̺e̷̲̘̩͖̠͇̖ ̴̵̼͇͙̖͔̝̺̻̠̭͔͡ͅt̳̘̱̰̺͎̼̤͟͞͡h̡̨̛̬͇̤̜̥́͜a̷̢̡̨̖̩̱͖̞͎n ̵̨̝̖̤̗̟̘̘̰͓̳̭͙̫̟̯͉̀ ̷̵̷͙̞̺̭̞̠̜̞̳̲̱̣̺͓̜̣͟H̶̸͏͕͇̲̫͉̟͈͖̮o͏̀҉̶̢͎͓̬̭̗̦̠̟̗͚ͅ ̰͕t̕͏̸̡̻̦͉͚̭͓͘l̴̶̛̼͎̕͞ͅi̸̷̡̢̛̗̭͙̺͉n̡̖̠̯̞͉̮͕̬̳͞͠ę͠ ̷̨̭͔͔͕͢ͅ ͏̛̜͓̩͎̳̫Ṃ̧̲̱̻̪͕͚̥̯̀i͖͎̤͓͢a̷҉̝̦̜͎̝͕͘͞m͘͏͚͔͉͙͍̫͍͍͔͡ ̰̮͓̤̣͓͔̖͕i̷͎̜̮̞͘͟͟ ҉̴̗̪̱͇͖͚͔̗͔ͅb̢̜͔̹̫̣̫́ȩ̴̨̲͖̤̰͓̖̘͚͍͇̜̲̮̪̀c̨͎͔̠̻͔͝͝͡ ̟ą̛͕̞̻̭͎̞̼̹̀̕͝ù̷̡̪̭̳̩͇͙͞s̶̮̫̠͖̖͉̳͚͎̩̘̱͚̙̯̭̲͓͡ͅe͏ ̡͏̧̟̗̺̳̬̖͝:̵̡͉̥͍͕͎̗̗͝͞ͅ

error no data in file

You have failed me Ample!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:16 AM

I voted for Rez!

I didn't actually play Rez until it was released for XBox360. Just looking at the game really just made me think "Looks cheap and boring", but in my previous gaming community it was like the most popular game ever, so when I saw it released on XBLA, I decided to give it a chance.

And I really got addicted to it. I played Rez like every day for years. Eventually I could play through the game without being hit at all.

When I heard Rez will get a sequel called Child of Eden, it suddenly was my most wanted game of the year. Probably was the first time where I was looking forward to a game that was not a JRPG.

In the end I liked Child of Eden a lot too, but I never got as addicted to it as I was addicted to Rez. (Child of Eden is still in my top 50.)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:24 AM
Mystery Contraption

This is the first game on the list I've played!

My feelings are now, as they were then, "This is Star Fox with really good sound design."
Old 06-11-2017, 05:42 AM
New Video World is out!

Rez Fact: he first appeared in 1994's "Gex", before popping up in the sequels "Enter the Gecko" and "Deep Cover Gecko".

I played Rez once. Dull as dishwater. On the plus side, I was able to sell my Dreamcast copy for a fair bit of money.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:47 AM
King Of Space-Time

Fun Fact. This was originally supposed to use LEDs to do a light show as well
Old 06-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took a sword to the chest.

Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Platforms: Playstation 3, XBox 360, Windows
Release: November 11, 2011

133 Points, 6 Votes, Highest Rank: #3 (ThornGhost)

The moment I decided Skyrim was amazing was when I found this guy in a cave, caught in spiderwebs and begging for my help and offering the item I needed. After I had gotten him down, he scoffed and wondered at my gullibility. So I shanked him in the back and took the item off his corpse. It was, I'd like to think, my first step towards becoming the world's greatest assassin. That's the kind of story you hear about great D&D campaigns.

I was highly tempted to put a picture of bugs in this post but felt that was too easy (because Bethesda games are full of bugs get it haha!). And it's true that jumping a hill on your horse can freeze your game and if you didn't save recently oh well. But Skyrim also succeeds exceptionally well at the main thing it sets out to be: a Grand Adventure. Perhaps it succeeds at that better than any game before or since. The coherent, visually stunning world is a big part of that. From the green, forested valleys to the snowy peaks, everything on your screen is a delight to behold. The dungeon layouts may be a little rote, but then you find dwarven ruins and once again the visuals astound. the audio is no slouch either. Babbling brooks, wind in the trees, the lapping of waves against a boat all help make this world feel real.

Exploring a world is nice, but the other thing Skyrim has is quests that are actually fun to follow. So many open-world games brag quests/missions by the bucketload, but then 80% of them turn out to be dross. Not that all of Skyrim's quests are gold, but certainly the majority are imaginative and fun. Do I join the Empire or the Rebellion (not as clear-cut a choice as one might think), should I be a Bard or a Thief? In fact, many of the sidequests are more enjoyable than the main quest, which speaks of their quality but also, unfortunately, the Dragonborn story's weakness. It is truly Skyrim's curse to be both marvel and mess at the same time.

Selected Track
Sons of Skyrim
Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 AM
New Video World is out!

Wonderful game. Though I spent more time modding it than I did actually playing the shitting thing.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Outer Spacean

Skyrim is a great game mired in technical problems. Especially on the PS3, which is how I played it. But I have to agree with you again, Issun; the main quest is by far the least interesting narrative in the game. In fact, I did every other quest (including the DLC) with multiple characters before settling down and dealing with Alduin. Which is kind of a bummer. That being said, I've put hundreds of hours into the game, so clearly it means something to me. And I do like it despite its hiccups and bugs.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Mystery Contraption

Skyrim had a minor quest that was Scooby Doo. And it played that quest completely straight.

That alone justifies its reputation.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
(because Bethesda games are full of bugs get it haha!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
Skyrim is a great game mired in technical problems. Especially on the PS3, which is how I played it.
JBEAR'S EXCITING SKYRIM ADVENTURE: A tragedy in one part

My ex-wife and I were excited to dive in and play Skyrim together, so I finally bought it on PS3, maybe ~1 year after it first released. We spent roughly an hour or more creating our character, because the character creator is robust and that sort of thing is fun to do. We then played through and loved the prologue, and were excited to start the game proper. We had been playing for about 2-3 hours at this point. We exited the cave into the rest of the world, and went to save our game... and couldn't.

Huh. That's weird! It must just not allow us to save during the introduction. So we went to the first town, following the introductory bread-crumb trail, played a bit more, and... we still couldn't save. The option was still greyed out. We wanted to be done for the day, so I did some Googling, and found out that this was a known bug. Sometimes you just randomly can't save when creating a new game, and the only fix is to start the entire game over again from the beginning, including character creation.

I've never played Skyrim since.

OTOH, if anyone would like a barely played copy of PS3 Skyrim for a reasonable price, I can hook you up.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:54 AM

Bleh, I can't stand Skyrim. I think its symptomatic of all the worst tendencies in modern game design and more importantly holy crap is the combat ever bad. Other than Breath of the Wild there are no open world games that I feel pull off an open world and take advantage of it effectively (Saints Row IV, does too, actually but I'm not too hot on that game either).

I'll leave the mad hatin' at this but boy oh boy if there is one game that makes me mad it's Skyrim.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Never played Skyrim myself as I prefer party-based RPGs. I know that The Witcher 3 is generally regarded as THE best RPG of that type and even that one couldn't fascinate me more than 30 hours (which is only 10% into the game). I just don't like open world, I want a game to be story driven.

I heard that Skyrim uses the Akitoshi Kawazu philosophy that the character growth better in whatever he uses, so I can at least appreciate it for that. Maybe one day I'll give it a try.

Skyrim is also the origin of the famous "Arrow to the knee" joke, that got popular even among people that never played that game.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:56 PM
TARANTUL

Sykrim (the game) manages to finally boil The Elder Scrolls formula down to something eminently playable, which is a wonderful thing.

Skyrim (the province) is likewise the best corner of Tamriel we've seen. It's not as expansive as Daggerfall or as creative and weird as Morrowind, but the pesuto-norse fantasy world really works and adds some coherence and grounding that Morrowind was lacking (and of course Daggerfall was largely empty). Though after the utterly boring and generic Imperial Provence in Oblivion nearly anything would have been an improvement.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Skyrim is fantastic. Just loads of fun. You can do anything you want and the game is okay with it.

And as always the Assassin's guild quest line is amazing.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:18 PM
King Of Space-Time

Also launched a bajillion memes, with this trailer.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:45 PM
is Earnest

Skyrim is kind of shallow and buggy, but it has a lot going for it. I can't think of many other games that have done landscapes as well, and the soundtrack is wonderful. I recommend avoiding the main quest until late in the game, so Dragons don't harass you while taking care of other stuff.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:04 PM
-ryn

suikoden 3 - so when i got to college, i had played some games and liked games, but because my parents didn't really buy games for me and I didn't really know what was coming out (I hadn't heard of any of the gaming magazines or anything). I was randomly paired with a roommate who was super excited for Suikoden 3 (cue turtle making me feel old...) he got it on release but discovered that while I liked RPGs (I had played the first final fantasy and that's about it) I didn't know what Suikoden was or pretty much anything else that was an RPG from the SNES era. My roommate let me play several games from that era and I'm thankful for it. I tried S3, but just didn't really understand it. I loved Suikoden II though.

the last of us - #8 on my list. I played the intro in a room with a big glass sliding door when it was dark out and got freaked out a little. My wife, Pica, loves to make clicking noises at me to creep me out too. The Last of Us is the only "zombie game" I've ever played as I really dislike horror type games. The story is so good and the gameplay is fun (I like Uncharted too). I think the story is good enough that even if the gameplay was worse (say if you don't like shooters) its still worth it.

Silent Hill 2 - as previously mentioned, I don't really like horror games. Never played it and not looking to

Rez - i think i tried it one time. I don't think it made an impression on me good or bad...

Skyrim - damn but it was tough to cut skyrim. I love it, but the main story and the bugs are enough to push it off my list. play that music though, and I'm ready to go running through the woods. My ex-brother-in-law broke his foot jumping around to a Skyrim Song played by Miracle of Sound at a concert. I had to take him to the hospital in the middle of the night.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

I couldn't figure out how to work this into the main post but the word dovahkiin is the most wonderful kind of fantasy claptrap. Even if you didn't know what one was you'd want to be one.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:31 PM

I couldn't get into Skyrim for the same big reason Galadrome said: awful combat. But that's Elder Scrolls games in general for me. Maybe by the time they get to Elder Scrolls 8 they'll actually have it figured out.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:15 PM
who's she

I played Skyrim quite a bit but the whole time I was asking myself, am I actually having fun, or am I just hopelessly addicted to filling in maps and hoarding treasure? Meanwhile, the frame rate gradually slowed to a crawl until it became unplayable. It was important in its day but after BOTW it feels very rough draft and I can't imagine playing it again.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Leeeerrrooooy Jeeeennnkinnnnss!

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
Platforms: Windows, OS X
Release: November 23, 2004 (NA/AUS), February 11, 2005 (EU)

135 Points, 8 Votes, Highest Rank: #2 (four-so)

I'll be honest: I've never played WoW the way it's meant to be played. My entire two weeks I spent in Azeroth were mostly playing solo. Oh, I'd run across other players. I think I traded something with one of them once, but I mostly kept to myself. It's a testament to the game's design that I had fun anyway.

So take the rest of this with a grain of salt: I never participated in raids or guilds. But I did explore Azeroth and I liked what I saw. Yes, occasionally you get a few too many "Collect X Number of MacGuffins" quests, but some of the bigger quests are worth the smaller ones. I slaughtered a demon. I rode the wind on the back of a dragon. I fought through a burning forest and disrupted a conference of warlords. I traversed half a continent on my trusty steed to get to the call for adventure in the Eastern Plaguelands, where one of the finest storylines in MMO history resides, as well as a quest so heartbreaking it got its own song. I did all this and wanted to do more, but it was time to leave for a while. Boy though, what a ride.

Selected Track:
Teldrassil

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown