The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Programmed to Jingle

And then by repeating "I think I can!"
Old 11-29-2016, 12:10 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I think TAS might actually be my favourite Trek series because, and I mean this with the utmost respect, every major plot point is unbelievably stupid. Case in point; Once Upon a Planet which starts off pretty mild actually. The Enterprise heads back to the planet Shoreleave (the Shore Leave planet) since they're feeling kind of overworked and could use a break, and that place was pretty relaxing once they realized nothing was actually trying to kill them on it.

But the landing party isn't down there five minutes before most of them are scrambling back on board the ship without a newly kidnapped Uhura. Whoops.

Turns out the caretaker of Shoreleave up and died since the crew was there last, back in the first season, and he left his incredibly, incredibly dumb super computer in command of the whole place. And it kidnapped Uhura thinking that she was a thrall in the service of the Enterprise.

Like... the actual ship. Not the authority it represents. It thinks that a spaceship is a brutal tyrant. And it's hiding Uhura so that the Enterprises other slaves won't find her and place her back in its cruel maw. Furthermore, it's transporting itself into the Enterprise, one piece at a time, in order to take it over and travel the Galaxy, saving everyone from the cruel tyranny of machinery.

Turns out that the computer figured that since machines are superior to organic life in all ways that obviously they are already in charge and it can't, in good conscience, let such a thing continue. Spock works his way into the main computer area (by pretending to be sick) and he and Uhura explain that the computer is operating off some pretty severe misconceptions about the nature of the relationship between people and appliances. The computer realizes that it jumped to the stupidest possible conclusion, and promises to double-down on its original purpose of providing safe fun for anyone who happens to turn up, like a sentient Disneyland. If it was a nincompoop. Spock agrees to spend his entire vacation carefully explaining the difference between being enslaved by a computer overlord and, like, driving a car or using a spoon.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
like a sentient Disneyland. If it was a nincompoop.
I feel confident that a sentient Disneyland would already be a nincompoop.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I like to think there's at least one alternate timeline where the Enterprise wasn't able to stop the computer, and it succeeded in its plan; hovering high the sky of unsuspecting planets, laying waste to any inclined planes or wheels it can find.

"You're freeeeee" it bellows.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Programmed to Jingle

An old man sits down to have a hot bowl of soup. Suddenly a robot runs into the room, and throws the spoon away and dumps the soup on the floor before smashing the bowl.

"No need to thank me, Citizen, your long oppression is now at an end. Go forth and be free" beeps the robot, watching the old man try to eat soup with his Bare hands.

Elsewhere, a ratchet set is the epicentre of an orbital bombardment. "Not today, you son of a bitch" thinks the Enterprise.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:41 PM
Your life is forfeit

Hey, I found the point at which The Next Generation definitively surpassed its source material: "The Bonding." It's the first Star Trek media that really looks into what it means to serve on the Enterprise and be part of the crew, its plot was largely trivial on a galactic scale but still had stakes for the cast to deal with and overcome, there were meaningful character moments, and the camera work (framing, etc.) was excellent.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:47 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
It's being reported that Michelle Yeoh is a cast member for the new show. Maybe she's even the lead!? Please excuse me while I
from what I've read, she's not the lead, but the show is much more an ensemble piece with no one true lead anyway.

But still. Asian lady starship captain who is fierce as all hell? Don't mind if I do!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:55 PM
whatever it takes

Star Trek: Discovery casts 3 actors, adds gay character

Mark from Rent is a gay space mushroom nerd! This pleases me. I hope he gets super fired up about weird space mold. Africa, Mexico, Sicily, Neptune~
Old 11-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Random guy

Damn, Michelle Yeoh? I'm on board with this. Totally.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:29 PM

Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Space 1999 had similar issues - they basically blew up three times the number of Eagles as they had at the start of the series.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:58 PM
What Time Is It?

The torpedo video reminded me of cool Kate Mulgrew's voice is.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 PM

Kate Mulgrew was a good captain and an excellent actress on a poorly thought out show.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Spock agrees to spend his entire vacation carefully explaining the difference between being enslaved by a computer overlord and, like, driving a car or using a spoon.
Sounds like he gets to spend his shore leave doing what he loves, too. Everybody wins!
Old 11-29-2016, 10:08 PM
Oily Butt Thing

also he knows that if Kirk tries to talk sense to the computer it'll just blow up and kill them all.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:51 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

On the torpedoes point - I *think* Ron Moore's gone on the record somewhere as saying that the whiteboard in Roslin's office on BSG showing the number of survivors was a direct reaction to Voyager not caring (or even trying to care) about the whole resource conservation issue.

I'd be interested to know if there was even anything in the writer's bible about that type of thing (I don't know if the Voyager bible's ever found its way online like the TOS one did).
Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Final Pulaski scorecard: She started out unlikable, but pretty much half the cast did. And like the rest of the cast, she demonstrated character growth as she became integrated into the crew. She would have been pretty great if she'd been allowed to stick around into better-written seasons. In summary, Pulaski haters are objectively wrong.
It's funny you say that, because I started from your end viewpoint (Pulaski was fine) and in my rewatching of season 2 really came to sympathize with the Pulaski haters. While I agree that there was an attempt at character growth for her, it was handled really poorly (probably due to all the writer issues of season 2). But then, reading your reviews, it's clear we had quite different reads of Pen Pals, Up the Long Ladder, and Peak Performance.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Man, I thought, hoped and wished I had seen the back of that creepy crappy crumbum, Harry Mudd, but TAS is nothing if not eager to bring back stuff from TOS, so here we've got Mudds Passion.

Anyway, the Enterprise is called in to arrest Mudd, again, since he managed to escape his prison of anplanet inhabited entirely by robot duplicates of his shrill, overbearing wife, and he immediately started scamming people again with a love potion this time.

Unexpectedly, however, in this case he's actually selling a functional product, when he tries to use it bribe The Nurse (turns out her name is Chapel) into helping him escape in exchange for the ability to get Spock trashed on aphrodisiacs. I didn't think she had any romantic designs on him, but through both series I think her only dialogue was saying "Yes, Doctor" at least once an episode, so she wasn't a very developed character.

The serum works, but is delayed since it has to work through a LOT of Vulcan first, but Mudd manages to kidnap her and steal a shuttle, and he also leaves his love potion right by the air vent where it spreads through the ship. Spockthennfreaks out because the love of his life has been kidnapped, deeply confusing Secret Best Character Arex and Vice Admiral Kittycat, and they all give chase to anplanet inhabited by rock giants (this is a bad place To escape to). Also, Kirk and Spock start hugging and saying what good friends they are which must have launched even more fanfiction then the addition of a cat girl to the cast.

The rest of the crew is too busy slow dancing (including Arex and Lt. Commander Kittycat, amazingly) and flirting to help deal with the rock monsters, so Kirk chucks the last of the potion at them and everyone is now safe and exited to watch rock giant makeouts. Also, Mudd is arrested again and the love potion is revealed to have an undesireable side effect of also causing deep resentment after the affection wears off.

I hope he stays in jail this time.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:06 AM

Breh, Nurse Chapel is MAD randy for Spock, how did you miss this fact?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:38 AM

Oh hey, that's where Galaxy Quest got the rock monster from.

Also, have we told you who Nurse Chapel was yet, Octo?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Programmed to Jingle

I feel that it's been brought up, and I said "GAH! How did I miss that?!?" But it's not ringing a bell otherwise.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:03 AM

Majel Roddenberry played Nurse Chapel in TOS, Troi's Mom on Next Gen, and did the Computer Voice everywhere.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Yes, that shocking revelation does sound familiar, now.

Far and away my favourite part of this episode was Arex giving a nervous whistle when Spock falls in love. That or Kirk and Spock wandering the rock monster planet spooning one another.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
(I don't know if the Voyager bible's ever found its way online like the TOS one did).
Taking a glance at that, this passage really jumps out at me:
Quote:
There is something of a "feud" between Dr. "Bones" McCoy and Mister Spock. The Doctor, like most cynics, is at heart a bleeding humanist. Spock appears to regard McCoy as an archaic, bumbling country doctor, usually achieving cures through luck. On the other hand, McCoy likes to regard Spock as little more than a sometimes useful piece of computer equipment. But, while disagreeing constantly, they do work well together when it becomes necessary and we're never but that there could be some affection hidden behind their constant battles.
There is a crucial typo here slightly obscuring things ("we're never sure" I'm guessing?), and there's other, boring interpretations I suppose, but this is the official Star Trek writers guide apparently stating that there is, canonically, big ol' tsundere unresolved sexual tension between Spock and McCoy, and that is now going into my head canon.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Your life is forfeit

Hey, the One-Armed Man is a Romulan commander in a v. good Cold War metaphor episode. And then Zefram Cochrane was a bureaucratic prig in a v. good Vietnam veteran repatriation metaphor episode. Season three of TNG is practically an entirely different show from the first two seasons... must be the new uniforms.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Trouble in Tiny-Towne (or The Teratin Incident, if you insist) is the obligatory Shrinky episode. And I'll admit that I wasn't focusing very keenly on the screen so I might have missed some stuff, but the Enterprise crew is kind of bored and decides to spend the episode looking at a super nova to make sure it's exploding properly when they renalize the Nova is exploding in space-morse code (!) asking for help on planet Teratin. And Kirks seen plenty of stars explode so he figures "Why not?". And then the ship heads Over to the planet and gets a face-full of SHRINK RAY!

Well, they eventually figure out they're shrinking. For a long time they just assume the Enterprise is getting bigger. This presents a problem since not only would being widdle-bitty seriously impair anyone's ability to be a Space Hero, they're soon going to hit the point they're too small to work the ship. Also, they remain just as strong as l'il fellas as they were at regular size, so I suppose they were all hit by Pym Particles.

Bones finds the cure for Small (teleporting fixes it right up) so Kirk heads down to the planet to ask the jerks why they made everyone small, where he finds a teeny city, and they mayor says "Hey, well, the sun went Nova and this planet is mostly made of explosions, and we don't want to die, and figured that shrinking any spaceship we saw would convince someone to stop by and hopefully save us." and Kirk calls him an asshole for shrinking everyone, and The Mayor of Tiny Towne says "Please help, we don't want to die" and Kirk reiterates that shrinking people probably isn't an actual crime, but it feels like it should be. Then he steals Tiny Towne and promises to drop it off on another planet that's less explosive.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Your life is forfeit

I just saw an episode that was a blatant metaphor for American intervention in anti-colonial resistance fighters, or terrorists if you prefer.

It was produced by someone named Ira, which seems a bit on the nose.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Safe Space

Remember how Star Trek VI was part of the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek? Well, that was 25 years ago.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Your life is forfeit

I tried to talk someone at USG into doing a 25th anniversary stream of Star Trek 25th Anniversary but no one would do it
Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Safe Space

Technically, the 25th anniversary of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary will be next year...

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher