The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 PM
We just don't know.

I just started playing the remastered Grim Fandango - never played it before. So far I like the theme and design and voice acting and everything...

... But holy shit movement is so fucking SLOW. It takes so Goddamn long to move around... Anywhere. Walking around the garage at the beginning is torture. I'm posting this bit by bit as I walk down long hallways and streets. Jeeeeesus.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:40 AM

I bought Lords of the Fallen during this PSN flash sale because I decided it'd be more worthwhile to get something for my curiosity and the ~$20 I wanted to throw away instead of flushing it directly down a toilet. And it is! I'm enjoying it more than I figured I could. Bosses are a little slower paced than they really should be but not actually poorly designed, and a couple of them are even creative and interesting!

But it makes me so, so sad that weapons and armor are progress-based instead of balanced. The strongest weapon/armor of a type is always the strongest of a type, and using anything less is gimping yourself (unless there's a very specific armor set bonus for the 2nd best set that suits your playstyle more) so favorites are right out the window. The runes that are supposed to let you customize and boost weapon/armor efficacy are nearly worthless because the rune slot distribution on weapons wasn't balanced at all either, on top of the runes themselves being too weak to make up the difference for weaker weapons and armor sets almost always having 3-4 slots each so it feeds back into the best is the best, period. It's almost random how they chose which weapon had how many rune slots. And while it's nice that they made sure all the different weapon types controlled differently, they didn't try to vary the movesets within those types at all; exceptions being the special versions of the boss weapons if you beat them while meeting a special challenge condition.

And gosh is it clunky that you can only use one spell at a time. Every single magic tree would be way more interesting and fun to use if you could use the spells freely so long as you had the MP to cast. As it is, you pick the best one from the tree you picked and almost never use anything else. Total bummer.

Also holy shit Harkyn isn't just a boring gruff white dude he's also the most poorly voice-acted character in the game. What the hell happened with that?

Otherwise I'm actually having a lot of fun playing it.

Last edited by Oathbreaker; 10-19-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I just started playing the remastered Grim Fandango - never played it before. So far I like the theme and design and voice acting and everything...

... But holy shit movement is so fucking SLOW. It takes so Goddamn long to move around... Anywhere. Walking around the garage at the beginning is torture. I'm posting this bit by bit as I walk down long hallways and streets. Jeeeeesus.
Are you holding R to run? Because you can do that.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:39 AM

I'm 3 hours into Xenosaga 1 and I might give up on it. It just feels so slow. There's a lot of story, and it's kind of interesting, but the characters feel wooden. Does it get substantially more entertaining?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Jinxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
The Taiga v Kiryu fight in Part 2 of Yakuza 4 can fuck itself.
I... don't recall that one being too bad actually - Kiryu is tough, sure, but didn't seem too bad to me at the time.

Either way you haven't hit the nadir of bullshit fights in Yakuza 4 yet by far.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Spent about 3 hours today making what probably amounts to about 20 minutes worth of progress in Alien: Isolation. I may have to give this game up for now and restart it on the lowest difficulty setting some time down the road.
Speaking from experience, bumping it down to a lower difficulty level doesn't help a whole heck of a lot. Even the Stupid Baby Easy mode that they patched in after a while was pretty brutal.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder the brave View Post
I'm 3 hours into Xenosaga 1 and I might give up on it. It just feels so slow. There's a lot of story, and it's kind of interesting, but the characters feel wooden. Does it get substantially more entertaining?
Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
I... don't recall that one being too bad actually - Kiryu is tough, sure, but didn't seem too bad to me at the time.

Either way you haven't hit the nadir of bullshit fights in Yakuza 4 yet by far.
It is the only part in the game that has given me significant trouble so far. It seemed like no matter what I did he would get at least one of those super punches that take about a third of my health off. It didn't help that I kind of wasted a few healing items in the prison break because I figured I would have an opportunity to stock up.

Man, the only thing that could kill my enjoyment of Yakuza 4 is more bullshit bosses.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Jinxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
It is the only part in the game that has given me significant trouble so far. It seemed like no matter what I did he would get at least one of those super punches that take about a third of my health off. It didn't help that I kind of wasted a few healing items in the prison break because I figured I would have an opportunity to stock up.

Man, the only thing that could kill my enjoyment of Yakuza 4 is more bullshit bosses.
Well to set your mind at ease the most absolute bullshit one happens during the final bosses sequence, so by that point you a) are probably pretty stocked up and ready and b) almost done with the game anyway.

It's a 40 on 1 battle royale against the Kamurocho swat team.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:38 AM

I've been playing the hell out of DQ5 and am sad that I'm nearing the end of the game.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Definitely stop and never look back.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
The amount of times its interesting/entertaining are pretty well outnumbered by moments of extreme tedium and just flat moments. I think there's probably a lot of people that it's worth the investment (it was back when i played it, but probably not now). Idk I think for most people I think it's better to just watch cutscenes probably.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:54 PM
contains words & diagrams

Xenosaga also wins some kind of no-prize for some of the worst boss fights in the history of the genre. Like seriously, if you don't get lucky with the right slot machine bullshit at the right times the fights are practically unwinnable and are at absolutely no point anything near approaching fun.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 PM

that's why you just do the boring ass sidequests for the super weapon mecha (don't actually do this)
Old 10-19-2015, 08:04 PM
This Guy

No, just use the item that reduces your HP to 1 and use Jr's attack that deals damage based on how little life you have.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
that's why you just do the boring ass sidequests for the super weapon mecha (don't actually do this)
TOO LATE also that shit doesn't even completely unlock until what, 80-90% of the way through the game? by that point you're past the worst of it and the remaining bosses aren't completely the worst, just kind of the worst. By that point you have some degree of agency over your ability to actually win those fights.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Answers come in dreams

Quit playing Legend of Legacy and am selling it on ebay. Too much like the SaGa games, not my cup of tea.

Dragon Quest Heroes is barely like the other Musou games, but difficult in parts.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 PM
MOE~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
TOO LATE also that shit doesn't even completely unlock until what, 80-90% of the way through the game? by that point you're past the worst of it and the remaining bosses aren't completely the worst, just kind of the worst. By that point you have some degree of agency over your ability to actually win those fights.
fun fact: when i played xenosaga i was in an ocd/compulsive state of gaming and deliberately staggered my level ups amongst characters to maximize my character's maximum stats. i pretty much did everything there was to do in that game including starting over because i missed an important email which would allow you to get further emails which would unlock a special item. i got to the final dungeon and my file got wiped.

i never looked back.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Definitely stop and never look back.
Done.

Thanks for the advice. At this point in my life I am happy to put a game down and play something else.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Fifth Business

The third Xenosaga, surprisingly, is actually pretty good. Fun battles, solid gameplay mechanics, and a far snappier pace and tone. While some bemoaned them having to rush to finish everything up in one final game, that did finally light a fire under them to just MAKE THINGS HAPPEN. And considering how much better it is than the first two, it's hard to say that things didn't turn out for the best after all. The story is bombastic over-stuffed madness, but kiiiind of amazing.

Also, Yuriev's voice actor was a goddamn champ, and it's a shame that he did such a terrible job keeping an eye on the Joker in 'The Dark Knight'.

It's definitely not a masterpiece, and not worth trudging through the first two games for just to get the full context for, but I do think it's a shame that most people checked out of the franchise (though very understandable) before the one genuinely good game in it came out. I myself only played it because my friend got it, half-sarcastically, and we both ended up enjoying the damn thing.

The second game, I only played part of, but it was a reeeeaaaaal misfire. Amidst all the bigger issues with it, something that I feel is a pretty good symbol of the whole is that, okay, so it has this song in it, okay?

I mean, good song, right? And pretty lengthy, with various phases to it. And it's called Fatal Fight, so hey, you might think it's used for a major boss fight or some sort. BUT...

Its meant to be the theme for the bitter conflict between the characters Jin and Margulis. Fair enough. But it only plays once in the entire game, in an early cutscene. Only one short little snippet of it is played during that cutscene, and it's mostly drowned out by talking and poor sound-mixing. During the actual boss fight with Margulis, they play the standard, rather boring boss music.

Apparently, it's because they arbitrarily decided that in their effort to be thoroughly cinematic, it was decreed that one composer would do the cut-scene music, and another would do the gameplay music. And, having made this arbitrary decision, they stuck with it, even when it wastes a good song, even when it would have massively improved the impact of certain moments to do otherwise, and even though the cutscene composer made songs that were far more interesting and exciting than the gameplay composer made which condemns you to inferior music every time you actually use the controller, and it just creates an even more pronounced divide between story and gameplay than there needed to be in a franchise that should have been working to lessen that problem rather than strengthen it.

The third game, meanwhile, showing it has its head on straight, actually uses a remix of Fatal Fight during the final battle with Margulis, meaning that the theme music for the conflict between Jin and Margulis is actually heard when you are playing a battle between Jin and Margulis.

I just find it a microcosm for the third game's comparative common sense compared to the dumb pretensions of the second game in particular.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:58 PM

Default this is not a mocking post I know the exact email you're talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
fun fact: when i played xenosaga i was in an ocd/compulsive state of gaming and deliberately staggered my level ups amongst characters to maximize my character's maximum stats. i pretty much did everything there was to do in that game including starting over because i missed an important email which would allow you to get further emails which would unlock a special item. i got to the final dungeon and my file got wiped.

i never looked back.
oh yeah baby tell me more about obscure dumb shit ass flags dealing with realian related emails
Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Xenosaga II was the first time it fully registered to me that a video game could be irredeemably bad. And like, I played shit like Deadly Towers and Mega Man X6 before that.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:29 PM
disguised king of surfing

I have all three of them.

I have never gotten like more than halfway through the first one.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:38 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

There are two games that, if I had basically all the time in the world, I would love to break down to their component parts and over analyze everything involved, because there's clearly something happening here, and things that went completely... wrong, but why. Xenosaga is one of those games, and, yes, I am considering all three to be one solid game. They're, as Deptford so eloquently elucidates, not, but I literally cannot see someone being able to play 2 or 3 at all without the prerequisite prior games, so I'm comboing them in my head.

The fact that Xenosaga encourages this kind of reaction in me is something to be said for the series at all.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
There are two games that, if I had basically all the time in the world, I would love to break down to their component parts and over analyze everything involved, because there's clearly something happening here, and things that went completely... wrong, but why. Xenosaga is one of those games, and, yes, I am considering all three to be one solid game. They're, as Deptford so eloquently elucidates, not, but I literally cannot see someone being able to play 2 or 3 at all without the prerequisite prior games, so I'm comboing them in my head.

The fact that Xenosaga encourages this kind of reaction in me is something to be said for the series at all.
What's the other one?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:54 PM

The guy who composed the maligned battle music of Xenosaga II is Shinji Hosoe, who is one of my favorite VGM composers. I like that music. Maybe it doesn't fit the game (I don't know because I've never played it) but the guy is a pretty well-respected composer for fighting games and shmups. Sounds like they made some strange decisions in that game though.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Come, noble knights!

Speaking of Xenosaga Episode III, it's a shame the game got hit so hard with obviously last minute censorship. While there were scenes that definitely needed to be altered (particularly a certain pedophiley Albedo and Momo scene in Episode I), it always struck me as a series that should've just gone for an M rating instead of trying to go for a T.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:32 PM
MOE~

i always kinda wanted to check out xenosaga ep iii as, by all accounts, its Not Terrible

but i have to wonder if it stands on its own well enough
Old 10-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Banned

Let the record show that Xenosaga Episode III is, in fact, terrible.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:04 AM

Episode 2 was the only one released in Europe. =/
Old 10-20-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
but i have to wonder if it stands on its own well enough
Story-wise you'll be a bit out of the loop. The games generally take for granted that you've played the previous ones. I feel like 3 doesn't as much as 2 did but it's been a very long time since I played through the series. Gameplay-wise though I would say it does. It is perfectly deserving of being its own thing if only to separate it from the rightly deserved poor perception of the first two.

I will echo the sentiment that Xenosaga III is a Pretty Good Game, and if you want to know what's going on you could just make some popcorn and find an all cutscenes video of the previous two games on youtube.

It's proooooooobably a matter of weird taste on my part but I preferred Xenosaga III to Dragon Quest VIII.

Tags
a whiner is you , every game is good , fer me to poop on , first world problems , gettin' mad at videogames , literal slap in the face , mm loz castlevania , too bad so sad , waaahhh my video games