The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
twinkling photon

Default Webcomic thread for talking about webcomics

considering how much we love these horrible things let's go WEBCOMIC and have a WEBCOMIC thread for WEBCOMICS

ANYWAY:
-kc green is really cool, and so are the custom comics he's customing!
-anders loves maria is really well written and radical! (might be nsfw, who knoooows)
-do you like comics? fun? octopus pie might just be your thing!
-nothing sad about these pictures! of children! (the children are sad (it's a good comic))
-we are all familiar with this copper gaming plaza! it's a pretty swell deal!
-some people consider this to be pretty good! i am not one of them, but whatever floats your complex mathematical equation!
-Suckin' Dick Bought This Van
-DO NOT BE ALARMED, powerup comics is clever satire. we are sorry for any outrageous nerd hyperbole that it wrought on your eyes
-yes, we know, kate beaton is really great

SO:
-there is nothing new or interesting to say about CAD, feel free to prove me wrong

OKAY:
-at the end of our last thrilling episode, we were engaged in a thrilling bout of textual fisticuffs! is XKCD genuinely funny, or pedantic nerd nonsense? does this chart make any sense, and if so, who honestly cares? read on to find the exciting conclusion!

Last edited by Zodar; 02-20-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:48 PM
i musnt run away

I haven't been keeping up with many comics lately, but one diamond in the rough that demands my attention is Wonderella.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Wonderella makes me smile, so does 8-Bit Theater. And honestly, I'm surprised to have never seen it mentioned (in good or ill) in any of the many Webcomic thread I've e'er seen here.

Also: The Good Doctor is among my very most favoritest.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

I only read like two or three webcomics regularly, but kc green has the magic touch. even his less funny comics are still funny to look at!

in other words I LIKE COMICS WITH FUNNY PICTURES
Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
gatchapon 3*

8 bit theatre hasnt been good for about 400 pages now.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Rawrther.

I love the first ~100 episodes of 8-Bit Theater, but honestly, it started going downhill fast imo.

Plus, it helped create the idea that anyone can pull off a sprite comic. Which is so obviously untrue.

That said, Black Mage is awesome.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:05 PM
twinkling photon

damn son if we're gonna talk about good wonderella strips then yo

and clevinger is a good dude, and atomic robo's definite proof that he's a good writer, but i hope he follows through with his plan to bring 8bit to a close. it's only got so much steam, and it's been running dangerously low for a decent while now.

although, if you look at LFG you can see that he could be doing much worse, so rude chubbies to him
Old 02-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Conquers the World

Nobody Scores
Dresden Codak
Three Panel Soul
Loli Loves Venom
Dinosaur Comics
Lucid-TV

There's also Wasted Talent, an autobiographical webcomic by a mechanical engineer who lives in Vancouver. It's really mostly inside jokes for her friends, but it's sort of cute anyway.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Little Waves

I read Horribleville with incredible enthusiasm until Green stopped updating it, and after a while, I stopped checking back to see if he'd resumed. I guess I had the right idea, though, since it seems not to exist at all anymore.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Rawrther.

I must say, I already love this thread. I love finding awesome webcomics.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I read Horribleville with incredible enthusiasm until Green stopped updating it, and after a while, I stopped checking back to see if he'd resumed. I guess I had the right idea, though, since it seems not to exist at all anymore.
right now he is patching up his website, in the meantime read Droop or his custom comics since they're equally great

also i know i said "no buckley" but damn how could i not post
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Space Prez

Confession time: I hate about 98% of webcomics I've seen. I thought it was the rampant unproffesionalism, but I think there's something else beneath the surface. So I'm going to try some of these suggestions and maybe figure it out. But not tonight because ironically I have a webcomic to finish.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Time for singing

I like Tim's post about the comic,* where he thinks he's going to say things so incredibly profound, earth-shattering and dangerous about forums that he might rock people to the core!

*The actual comic. I went to his site just to find out if he really DID post that, because, I mean... considering the turds he has posted, I just don't know anymore.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

My favorite is still Girly, but man does Lesnick whine a lot on his LJ!

(Of course I find LJ whining irresistible so whatevs.)

Also, if you don't want to read the most adorable comic ever, don't click this link which leads to Count Your Sheep.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Little Waves

I liked Lesnick's artwork before he dove headfirst into chunky blotchy lines forever. His earlier work may have been ANIMU, but at least it didn't make me feel like my screen needed cleaning.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
twinkling photon

personally the crazy chunkylines are my favorite part about girly, but his stuff around comic 200 was a pretty good balance between crisp and crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Also, if you don't want to read the most adorable comic ever, don't click this link which leads to Count Your Sheep.
this is pretty okay but the art gradually gets worse for some reason? also the sheep pretty much points out the joke at the end of each strip
Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

my favorite thing about Girly is how it's the only popular webcomic with a link to my webcomic! :'< seriously, I get more referrals from Girly than every other referrer combined, times two.

the distant second place referrer is Supah Nario Bros, which I find totally charming and adorable even though I really really hate Naruto.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Your life is forfeit

Whether or not you like his line work, the color stuff Lesnick was doing a few months back was absolutely gorgeous. Plus, the extended surreality of those strips reminded me of really ancient classics like Little Nemo or Krazy Kat. But I guess the amount of effort they required and lack of financial rewards crushed his soul or something, because now he's back to B&W. Understandable, but a pity all the same.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 PM
zombie

I like this thread this is a good thread.

As for Lesnick, I think his current style is my favorite so far. My main problem with his move towards a more cartoony style that it was way too chaotic looking. Sometimes it was hard for me to understand what was going on in some panels. But damn doesn't his comic have some great solid line work.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
zombie

whoops i thought this was in active media that why i was all primp and proper,

dick dicks diksc tim buckley sucks massive amoutns of dicks dicks dicks dicks
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I like Tim's post about the comic,* where he thinks he's going to say things so incredibly profound, earth-shattering and dangerous about forums that he might rock people to the core!

*The actual comic. I went to his site just to find out if he really DID post that, because, I mean... considering the turds he has posted, I just don't know anymore.
I cannot work out exactly what Tim Buckley's point in the comic is. Is he suggesting that he fell in a pool of pure talent and thus Penny Arcade tell him to rack off in Elizabethian dialogue? It's rare that other creators tell creators of works that are genuinely good to go away, quite the opposite in fact.

Is he saying that he has 'facial diversity'? And that Penny Arcade does not?

It's just... I mean, has his ego actually started warping the space-time continuum?

Is he poking fun at himself? I didn't think he ever did that.

me am so confusedBOOMsplat
Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
I cannot work out exactly what Tim Buckley's point in the comic is. Is he suggesting that he fell in a pool of pure talent and thus Penny Arcade tell him to rack off in Elizabethian dialogue? It's rare that other creators tell creators of works that are genuinely good to go away, quite the opposite in fact.

Is he saying that he has 'facial diversity'? And that Penny Arcade does not?

It's just... I mean, has his ego actually started warping the space-time continuum?

Is he poking fun at himself? I didn't think he ever did that.

me am so confusedBOOMsplat
that was an edit of buckley's latest strip
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
For blood and gold

It's hard for me to find any webcomic that I'm genuinely interested in "following". It's hard because 98% of them are crap.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
that was an edit of buckley's latest strip
satire confuses merus
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM
In the Hall of Judgment

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliam View Post
My main problem with his move towards a more cartoony style that it was way too chaotic looking. Sometimes it was hard for me to understand what was going on in some panels.
Agreed. While I liked the detailed landscapes and the colors that Lesnick used/drew, what really threw me off were the facial expressions. It was as if in each panel he was purposely trying to contort the faces of his characters into a physically impossible expression, solely for the purpose of demonstrating the power of comics to do what can't be done in reality (actually, if you follow up with his LJ, you know that that was precisely what he was going for. In the end, it was good experimentation, but I'm glad we're back to something a little more normal.

As for his whining, what is there left to say? It slightly pisses me off that he seems to think working hard at something for several years is automatic grounds for being rewarded for the effort. "Here is my work!! WHY DON'T PEOPLE LOVE IT?????" I love his comic, but reading his editorials and criticisms of the cartoon industry/webcomic community has almost turned me off from his website (and some of them are unavoidable, as he posts them directly on the site, sometimes even as a comic).

I feel like I will be the only person who still does, but goddammit, I still read Megatokyo. For those who abandoned this comic a long time ago for it's snail's pace, you may be interested to know that a lot of the characters have actually developed quite a bit. Piro has grown a small spine and shown confidence in situations and even demonstrated social skills to a certain degree (and he is comically juxtaposed with the otaku community, who are even sadder people than him). Kimiko has become a lot less naive and has grown into her own skin a lot more as well. Largo...is still Largo, and Erika is more or less the same, but has been given some back story. Things are slightly coming to a head in the storyline right now, leading me to believe that it is ending soon.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 PM
D=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
That's because his site imploded after getting over like, a million-billion hits. He's since moved the site to a new server.

Anyway, on the subject of relatively unknown good webcomics I suggest you guys check out this new gaming webcomic!(NSFW, at times.) I really like the latest one with proper British Pacman.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Little Waves

That comic embodies everything that is horrible and unnerving about European art.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Hey guy.

White Ninja is pretty good. So is Dr. McNinja. Filibuster Cartoons is really great, and the guy who does it wrote an in-depth analysis of Legend of the Mystical Ninja and a fun briefer on Nintendo censorship, so that puts him miles ahead of any other political cartoonist I know of. I'm also a sap for Girl Genius and Sam and Fuzzy. Anyone who likes Dresden Codak might think about giving Rice Boy a chance if they haven't already. Its generally stark aesthetic stands in stark contrast to the former's complex style and layout, but has much of the same appeal without treading too close to unintentional haughtiness.

Oh yeah, Elsie Hooper.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Actually wait. Girly isn't my favorite comic anymore. Somehow Gunnerkrigg Court totally slipped my mind.

That's how low-key this comic is. It's wonderful, but it doesn't shout at you. It tells a great story without being pretentious or self-involved. The author doesn't use his website as a vehicle for commentary on, well, anything. In fact I don't even think I know the author's name.

I'll totally forget about this comic (like I just did!) for a couple weeks at a time, and then go back and catch up. Honestly I think that's the best way to read it, since then you get the story in great big chunks and not tiny little snippets.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 AM
twinkling photon

the aforementioned dr. mcninja, minus, gunnerkrigg, eegra and riceboy are all indeed awesome

also worthy of note is the abominable, which is probably one of the most well-drawn and clever comics i've seen on the web!

Tags
comics , cucumber quest , die in obscurity , fear of crowdfunding , fear of new threads , horrible carrot noses , kc green suicide watch , lim-bo! , penny arcade , webcomics