View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Phantastic Oil

No worries-- mistakes happen. Thanks for running, guys! Lots of great write-ups!

Misses in bold, which is most of them, which is not really a surprise:
  1. Final Fantasy Legend III "Divine Battle"
  2. Final Fantasy IV (SNES) "The Dreadful Fight"
  3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night "Wandering Ghosts"
  4. Nier "Hills of Radiant Wind"
  5. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan "Melody"
  6. Final Fantasy III (Famicom) "Cloud of Darkness Theme"
  7. Anticipation "Title Screen"
  8. Startropics "Dungeon Theme"
  9. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest "Battle 1"
  10. Katamari Damacy "The Moon and the Prince"
  11. Phantasy Star (SMS) "Cave"
  12. Suikoden III "Exceeding Love"
  13. 7th Saga "Battle in a World of Light"
  14. Final Fantasy VI "Spinach Rag"
  15. Shadowgate (NES) "Twilight"
  16. Mega Man Soccer "Wood Field"
  17. Tetris (GB) "A-Type"
  18. Shovel Knight "Strike the Earth!"
  19. Earthbound "Buy Somethin' Will Ya!"
  20. Street Fighter II "Opening Title"
  21. Vandal Hearts "Burning Sorrow (Ending)"
  22. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete "Wings"
  23. Mother 3 "Even More Intense Guys"
  24. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door "Petal Meadows"
  25. Dragon Warrior "Overworld Theme"

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - I'm not surprised that Ouendan didn't make the cut, but I am disappointed. One of my absolute faves, and one of the hardest games to choose a favourite track for. I can't believe that it didn't get a single vote besides me.

Final Fantasy III (Famicom) - This absence did surprise me. People are super unfair to this game, but I thought that people at least generally agreed that the soundtrack is aces. That Cloud of Darkness theme just... Hrnnng.

Anticipation - This game has a ridiculously good soundtrack for an obscure NES game that no one but me played. One of David Wise's first efforts.

Startropics - Glad to see one other Startropics vote, but surprised that there weren't more. Like FFIII, I thought this was a game that people are unfair to but still liked the music for.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Genuinely floored that this didn't make it. Only one other vote, even? I guess the silver lining is that I wasn't spoiling when I mentioned it in my FFL3 post up-thread?

Phantasy Star (SMS) - I never expected this to make it, and I'm actually pleased that I miraculously wasn't the only vote for it! Huzzah!

Suikoden III - I knew that Suikoden 1 & 2 were going to get more votes, but I was still hoping that this might squeeze on at the bottom, just like it did on the previous list. Oh well.

7th Saga - As I've mentioned on more than one occasion, I've been known to listen to the 2-second long victory jingle for this on loop. I love the music in this game, which does a lot to... sand off the rough edges when I play it.

Shadowgate (NES) - It's a sad thing that Shadowgate's list aspirations have ended here.

Mega Man Soccer - No one likes this game as much as I do, and no one likes the music in it as much as I do either. This is legit my favourite Mega Man soundtrack, but people always think that I'm joking or trolling when I say that.

Tetris (GB) - Admittedly not really much of a "soundtrack", per se, but holy shit the few tunes that are there are some of the catchiest tunes ever to grace a video game.

Street Fighter II - I can't believe that this didn't make it. Even accounting for the PM errors, I would have thought that it would be a shoo-in. So many of these themes are so iconic. I don't even like fighting games, but this was one of the first games to go on my list.

Vandal Hearts - Gotta rep my personal brand here. I've spent a lot of hours playing this game, and I still love the music for it. Super stoked that someone else voted for it too!

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - Quick show of hands for who can sing the intro and/or the boat song from memory. Admittedly a pretty nostalgic choice, and not one that I expected to actually make it.

Mother 3 - I not only thought that this would rank, but I thought it might our-rank Earthbound. Nope! I just played this earlier this year and loved it, and the music was a big part of that.

Dragon Warrior - Enix nailed the music right out of the gate, and has been remixing it in later games ever since. The theme to my childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Arcana (Boss Theme)
Ooo, good pull. This one just narrowly missed my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Risk of Rain
Another good pull, and another that just narrowly missed my own list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
Out of the ones that didn't, I expected my PC game nominations to be futile, but am surprised by the omissions of Valkyria Chronicles and especially Etrian Odyssey.
Yeah, I was really surprised that no EO game placed as well. On Talking Time, no less! I'm guessing that there was a fair amount of vote splitting? It was one of the last cuts from my own list, and I've started playing EO3 since submitting my list, and would probably include it if I was to make a new list right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
Steamworld Heist
Maaan, I'm bummed that I didn't think to vote for Heist. That soundtrack is aces.