View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 07:08 PM
I have a Plan

Stuff the combat system does, while I'm here.

Building a character for the combat system is simple enough: choose a class (complete with power selection and archetype if that class has one), a role (defender, striker, leader, controller, blaster), and a feat. Done. Classes mostly define the central mechanic of your powers, while role is what niche you serve as far as team comp goes (fixing a minor problem I had with 4e where even if a class' mechanics are cool, maybe our party has too many strikers already).

In combat, you have an attack action, a move action, and a role action. The first two work exactly how you think they do, while the role action is more equivalent to your minor action in 4e: something else you do on your turn that helps the team in some small way. Defenders get their Mark, Controllers can weaken an enemy, Blasters can change up terrain a bit, et cetera. Your role also gives you some passive boosts, primarily things that happen when you roll high enough on an attack (so a Striker deals more damage, a Leader recharges their encounter Tactics power that lets allies move, that sort of thing).

The numbers are decidedly low, and there are no innate stats to build up (4e didn't really have them either, you boosted your two stats your abilities used and ignored all of your others, basically). In fact, player characters don't even exceed their starting 10 health unless they take feats that do so. I haven't incapacitated any characters in my games yet, but I have gotten very close with a few solid hits. Thankfully, the design is that I should stand a chance of Taking Out at least one player per game, and you full-heal before each fight (although conditions gained before the fight can hamper you in it, and just like a Team Conflict, taking too much damage can weaken your victory).