View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 PM
пик Б

Default Part 7: Deep in the Heart of Connecticut

It's been a while, so I'm giving you a larger than usual update. Some of the screenshots in this update might look a bit different than normal due to an oversight on my part, which I took care of only after I wrapped everything up. Hopefully it shouldn't look too different.

Let's start it off with a screenshot of the river crossings I missed when I first looked at Newport, the ones that would allow me to lay track without a stupidly expensive spanning bridge. I am observational!

Routed two of our three freight trains to go to Norwich. I considered buying a sixth train, but we don't really need another one just for that town. Seems about time we unpause time and let our trains do their thing.

This arrival gave us enough money to pay off that 9% interest bond. I'd still like to let our trains stretch their metaphorical legs (and literal wheels) before we expand further. It's only March, after all, so we have time.

August. We have enough money to do something about the congestion, which was starting to become a problem. I had a goods train bound for Worcester that was held up in Boston by no less than three other trains, so I switched some priority levels and built this branch line between the two cities. Let's hope the engineers use it automatically so I don't have to set waypoints for them.

I was trying to take a picture of the Percy Express, but got this instead. 1853 went by pretty quick, but that's normal when you don't expand much. Let's see what's inside.

Huh, there's some money stuffed inside.

That's...

A decent amount.

Here's that train I was trying to photograph before, at least.

We can now hire a new manager! Holladay is okay, but we can pay less and save more with Schmidt. Garratt's fuel reduction is tempting, but train speed is directly tied to revenue, and I'm pretty sure you want higher average speeds if you want people to like your railroad. He'd be more worth it if we were running 50 trains, but we're not.

Here's our total income over four years of existence. Note how we make most of our money with passenger service. Fuel expenditure isn't the worst of our expenses (not when we have track in no less than five states now), but it helps to pay less for it. And-wait a minute.

Turns out I wasn't utilizing these industries enough to turn a profit, since our 4-4-0 Americans are too frigging slow to cover all that ground in a year and still return to the depot more than once. I'll get a nice cash boost from selling these, at any rate, and I'll refrain from buying any more businesses unless I know they'll be lucrative.

So, we're going to need yet more money to expand. And, I also want more money. Fortunately for us, we happen to have an untapped resource at our disposal, and all we need to do is double-track this spur and buy a sixth train.

This will do nicely. I have this train delivering goods to cities that are already receiving goods made from wool, but there's still enough demand for goods for it to work out. This train is also in a good position to deliver goods to cities down the line to New York. The future line that is, to the future.

I'm also going to plonk down two large restaurants, one in Boston and one in Providence. These are usually a great investment, and we are great businesspeople, so we'll get along like a house on fire.