View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Not a Beer

Honestly I've been treating all these lists as "vote for your personal favorites or what you think is best or both, whatever ya want".

Meanwhile... I think this is our first webcomic so far? Looks like.

#30 Gunnerkrigg Court
Mentions: 4, Points: 83
Writer/Artist/Creator: Tom Siddell
Genre: Science-Fantasy
Publication: webcomic at http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/ M/W/F, 2005-present
Recommended by: Neil Gaiman, in his blog once. That's gotta be a nice score.

This is another one I've heard good things about but never read (actually I'm pretty sure the first collected print volume is in my 'to-read' stacks somewhere), so I'm gonna condense a Wikipedia summary at you again I'm afraid:

The comic tells the story of Antimony Carver, a young girl who just started attending a mysterious school called Gunnerkrigg Court, and the events around her as she becomes embroiled in political intrigues between Gunnerkrigg Court and the inhabitants of nearby Gillitie Wood. The comic's look and themes include elements from science, fantasy, mythology from a variety of traditions, and alchemical symbols and theories; the literary style is heavily influenced by mystery fiction and manga.

As a nice segue from our previous entry, Siddell lists Mike Mignola as an artistic influence, along with Yukito Kushiro of Battle Angel and Jamie Hewlett of Tank Girl. Gunnerkrigg has won a passel of Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards, and been nominated for a Harvey.