The Return of Talking Time

The Return of Talking Time (http://www.talking-time.net/index.php)
-   Talking about books (http://www.talking-time.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Michael Mann Fans: Mann Tries Hand in ... Books (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=17830)

Dizzy 04-12-2016 12:53 PM

Michael Mann Fans: Mann Tries Hand in ... Books

I couldn't find a word to continue the rhyming.

Quote:

NEW YORK (AP) — A book project founded by director-writer Michael Mann has found a home with HarperCollins Publishers.

The Harper imprint William Morrow told The Associated Press on Tuesday that it had acquired three novels to be released through Michael Mann books. The novels, all co-authored by Mann and currently untitled, will include a collaboration with "The Cartel" author Don Winslow on a story based on the lives of crime bosses Tony Accardo and Sam Giancana and a prequel to Mann's original screenplay for his acclaimed thriller "Heat."

"In my work, what always fuels my imagination is moving among the people and within the sub-cultures in which the story I'm telling actually takes place," said Mann, whose credits range from the TV series "Miami Vice" to "The Insider" and other feature films. "There have been characters, events, stories, which I thought were very rich, but which had to go untold."

Mann first announced his imprint last month, saying he hoped to publish fiction and nonfiction and have the books adapted for film and television. The first of the Mann books, his novel with Winslow, is scheduled for 2017.

"This project is the fulfillment of a lifelong ambition," Winslow said in a statement. "The Accardo-Giancana story with its dual protagonists is the intense, organized crime epic that I've been waiting to write my whole career. The range of people is immense, the locations vast, the real-life events the stuff of a fiction writer's dreams."

Ample Vigour 04-12-2016 01:10 PM

I have no idea what to feel right now

The Raider Dr. Jones 04-12-2016 02:23 PM

at this stage anything Michael Mann makes that is not a Ghost in the Shell movie just makes me sad.

Moon Orbit 04-12-2016 02:30 PM

I watched Manhunter early, early Sunday morning for the first time since about 2004 or 2005.

Do not regret that decision. for people in the U.S., it's available at www.tubitv.com and will be leaving at the ending of this month.

Dizzy 04-12-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones (Post 2121337)
at this stage anything Michael Mann makes that is not a Ghost in the Shell movie just makes me sad.

That's a prospect that's both delicious and terrifying in my eyes.

The Raider Dr. Jones 04-12-2016 04:39 PM

motoko kusanagi is james woods in thief, except she has exchanged her physical being for the power drill.

Ample Vigour 04-12-2016 04:49 PM

Dude could shoot the Hell out of two disaffected robocops pounding beers on the docks and pointedly not having sex w each other

Dizzy 04-12-2016 04:52 PM

It's funny, I almost expected it would just be the three of us posting in this thread about Mann.

And by three, I mean you, me and Moon Orbit. I'll let one of you decide who 'you' is. Or don't because this post was drafted in Sartrean nausea. I like books.

The Raider Dr. Jones 04-12-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ample Vigour (Post 2121409)
Dude could shoot the Hell out of two disaffected robocops pounding beers on the docks and pointedly not having sex w each other

Batou: I don't know how to do anything else.
Major Kusanagi: Neither do I.
Batou: I don't much want to either.

Balrog 04-12-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ample Vigour (Post 2121282)
I have no idea what to feel right now

Ample Vigour 04-12-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones (Post 2121412)
Batou: I don't know how to do anything else.
Batou: I don't much want to either.

Yeah

Ample Vigour 04-12-2016 08:31 PM

I dug up the scene in Miami Vice where Sonny's in the boat with Gong Li and she says "I am a businesswoman. I don't need a husband to have a house to live in," and he reacts by reaching over and fastening her seatbelt.

God dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn