The Return of Talking Time

The Return of Talking Time (https://www.talking-time.net/index.php)
-   The Pit of Civility (https://www.talking-time.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Where are the good cartoon ducks? (https://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=19363)

Octopus Prime 08-02-2017 08:48 AM

Where are the good cartoon ducks?

I was talking with a co-worker the other day and realized that, more than any other cartoon animal, all the ducks are jerks. Now, granted, in real life all ducks are also jerks, so they do have that excuse, but after twenty minutes of debate the only ducks without any glaring personality faults we could come up with were; 1) Daisy Duck (who is devoid of any kind of personality) and 2) Count Duckula (who is, by definition, an unholy abomination unto the lord).

Every other duck would be exasperating to hang out with.

BEAT 08-02-2017 08:55 AM

I'm not 100% sure Daisy belongs on that list.

I mean, she buys Donald his jaunty little sailor outfit, then cites said outfit as proof that he MUST be a sailor, in order to force him to risk his life so that she can enjoy a day at sea?

And then she abandons him at his lowest point to run off with the guy that literally just stole the clothes off his back?

I mean yeah, she's no Donald, but you can't tell me she doesn't know EXACTLY what she's doing here.

GoggleBob 08-02-2017 08:57 AM

Octo, you just made Honker Muddlefoot cry. You monster.

Pizzarino Sbarro 08-02-2017 09:01 AM

I remember watching DuckTales, but I don't remember the duckling themselves. Wasn't there a heroic duck there, too?

...what of Howard? (saw the movie as a child and don't remember it; never read the comics)

e: oh h*ck, he's not a cartoon duck; apologies

Falselogic 08-02-2017 09:02 AM

Huey, Dewey and Louie seem fine. And what about lil' Webby?

Loki 08-02-2017 09:02 AM

bubba duck is the only good duck having been born before the bible

Solitayre 08-02-2017 09:03 AM

Please do not disparage the name of my good friend Sonia the Duck from Peter and the Wolf.

Pizzarino Sbarro 08-02-2017 09:04 AM

Apparently Darkwing Duck takes place in an entirely separate universe from DuckTales. Again, apologies!

Is he a good duck, though? Can't say.

JBear 08-02-2017 09:05 AM

Or Fenton Quackshell, or Gyro Gearloose, or Drake Mallard, or Launchpad McQuack?

Your premise is flawed, Octo! FLAWED, I say!

Pizzarino Sbarro 08-02-2017 09:07 AM

Countless ducks beyond my ken

muteKi 08-02-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falselogic (Post 2373269)
Huey, Dewey and Louie seem fine.

They are absolutely jerks but at the same time their jerkishness is not unprecedented for their age, so it's easy to write it off as immaturity and not something inherent in the nature of ducks

Zef 08-02-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat (Post 2373272)
Apparently Darkwing Duck takes place in an entirely separate universe from DuckTales. Again, apologies!

Is he a good duck, though? Can't say.

If DWD is a separate universe from DT, then there must be infinite Launchpads and infinite Gizmoducks.

I think Flintheart also showed up in the background once.

Issun 08-02-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat (Post 2373272)
Apparently Darkwing Duck takes place in an entirely separate universe from DuckTales.

Says who?

Dracula 08-02-2017 11:39 AM

SOMEBODY GET THIS FREAKIN' DUCK AWAY FROM ME

q 3 08-02-2017 12:20 PM

Sometimes anime is a savior.

Please watch Princess Tutu

Issun 08-02-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAT (Post 2373265)

Since when did Mickey Mouse cartoons become short Spongebob episodes?

Pizzarino Sbarro 08-02-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Issun (Post 2373362)
Says who?

The creator.... according to wikipedia. I have no stake in this; I know for sure I found Darkwing Duck off-putting as a child and never watched. (Batman and a duck? not when I could burn the classic, well-constructed X-Men series into my brain)

Hmm.

I also watched Howie Mandel's (?) cartoon. Cannot remember the last time I thought about it.

That ran for 8 seasons? Yet I've seen no millenials make reference to it on twitter. 🤔

muteKi 08-02-2017 01:02 PM

"Let there be all-fried Fridays" is a quote that I regularly think about but rarely have the opportunity to actually put into practice; for obvious reasons I associate that sort of central northern American accent (i.e., very Minnesotan) with Prairie Home Companion, but damn if this wasn't what made me aware of it.

Mogri 08-02-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAT (Post 2373265)
I mean, she buys Donald his jaunty little sailor outfit, then cites said outfit as proof that he MUST be a sailor, in order to force him to risk his life so that she can enjoy a day at sea?

Well, he does for whatever reason own a boat.

Dracula 08-02-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat (Post 2373413)
That ran for 8 seasons? Yet I've seen no millenials make reference to it on twitter. 🤔

Probably having a generically hideous art style helped with that. It's pretty a pretty strong nostalgic contender for me, filling up a good portion of the asscrack-early Fox Kids block I'd watch every day. But unlike most of those other 'toons I've only come back around once to glance at it, and I was like "oh god, wow," and left it where it stood.

Eight seasons? Jesus.

It was enough of a staple for me, though, that the jerky older brother, Derek, became code for jerky older brother behavior in my house. My younger brother would tell me "Don't be a Derek," when I was being a Derek.

Octopus Prime 08-02-2017 02:30 PM

I did catch an episode that was an homage to Misery.

Which was a heck of a thing to aim at tiny-year-old children.

Teaspoon 08-02-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBear (Post 2373274)
Gyro Gearloose

I've never been entirely convinced that Gearloose IS a duck, nonetheless.

Octopus Prime 08-02-2017 02:36 PM

I thought he was a stork, that's why I didn't count him...

Wikipedia claims him to be a chicken.

aturtledoesbite 08-02-2017 02:48 PM

he's a dog

most definitely not a cow

Ample Vigour 08-02-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat (Post 2373413)

It was really bad. Like, I was a young child and I knew it was below me. Also it was aimed at, like, five-year-olds but there were recurring Bob & Doug MacKenzie jokes for the eight people watching who remembered Second City TV.

God, all of that generation of Fox cartoons were shit. Terrible Thunderlizards, Eek the Cat, Dog City. I actively resent recalling these shows.

Rascally Badger 08-02-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ample Vigour (Post 2373457)
It was really bad. Like, I was a young child and I knew it was below me. Also it was aimed at, like, five-year-olds but there were recurring Bob & Doug MacKenzie jokes for the eight people watching who remembered Second City TV.

God, all of that generation of Fox cartoons were shit. Terrible Thunderlizards, Eek the Cat, Dog City. I actively resent recalling these shows.

I remember those shows names and know for a fact that I watched them, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about any of them.

Torzelbaum 08-02-2017 04:36 PM

A friend of mine would often point out how Daffy used to be pretty manic in earlier Looney Tunes but then became incredibly bitter as time went on.

(But at least he doesn't swear as much as Donald.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat (Post 2373276)
Countless ducks beyond my ken

As the Vulcans say : IDIC - Infinite Ducks in Infinite Combinations

jpfriction 08-02-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascally Badger (Post 2373469)
I remember those shows names and know for a fact that I watched them, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about any of them.

The only thing about Eek the Cat I remember is a random Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference in an episode (a depressed robot named Marvin, maybe?.

That seemed like an odd choice for a children's cartoon.

four-so 08-02-2017 05:26 PM

rkdn42 08-02-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpfriction (Post 2373524)
The only thing about Eek the Cat I remember is a random Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference in an episode (a depressed robot named Marvin, maybe?.

That seemed like an odd choice for a children's cartoon.

Eek the Cat had loads of references to various elements of pop culture. Many episode titles were puns and there were several straight up parodies of shows and movies, such as Star Trek and Apocalypse Now.

I was very surprised by the lack of love here for the show per the cartoon poll. Maybe since I'm older than most people here, it hit right during my mid teens where most of the references and humor were right in my wheelhouse.

I wonder if people here watched it now, they might like it?