The Return of Talking Time

The Return of Talking Time (http://www.talking-time.net/index.php)
-   Talking about food (http://www.talking-time.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The "Not worth its own thread" thread - Food Edition (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=9372)

benjibot 01-16-2010 05:37 PM

The "Not worth its own thread" thread - Food Edition

Because it was inevitable…

Dark chocolate, mint, pixel font… I seem to be exactly the target demo for these candies.

Epithet 01-16-2010 05:47 PM

The funny things is that those look like regular old mint candies. They don't even look especially UFO-ish.

Dawnswalker 01-16-2010 05:51 PM

Yeah, if they weren't flat on the bottom, they would be a more perfect UFO shape.

Inasmuch as one can have a "perfect" UFO shape.

mopinks 01-16-2010 05:58 PM

at first I thought it said "rich, undetectable spheres". it would've fit with the UFO shtick!

also, those don't look like any spheres I've ever seen.

Lucas 01-16-2010 06:58 PM

I gave in to my cravings today and for breakfast I took a couple slices of sourdough cracked wheat, spread margarine across them, sprinkled a pinch of kosher salt over each one, and popped them in the toaster over until the bread was warm and the margarine melted.

It was delicious and I don't regret a thing.

Also, what the hell kind of spheres are those?

Silent Noise 01-16-2010 07:23 PM

And you guys thought it was impossible to crap bricks.

Seth Marati 01-16-2010 08:04 PM

Prunes have a reputation of existing only so that old, plugged-up people can have a bowel movement, which I think is unfair. They're really tasty!

Violentvixen 01-16-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjibot (Post 655634)
Because it was inevitable…

Dark chocolate, mint, pixel font… I seem to be exactly the target demo for these candies.

I saw these today! I was equally excited.

mopinks 01-17-2010 12:51 AM

an awesome thing: the Indian restaurant on the corner is also an Indian convenience store and sweets shop! so after I gorged myself on chicken saag I picked up a bag of this stuff and a whole bunch of this stuff.

I will probably eat all of it before the weekend is over.

Red Hedgehog 01-17-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopinks (Post 655910)
an awesome thing: the Indian restaurant on the corner is also an Indian convenience store and sweets shop! so after I gorged myself on chicken saag I picked up a bag of this stuff and a whole bunch of this stuff.

I will probably eat all of it before the weekend is over.

I highly recommend a bag of Murruku/Chakri/Chakali. A fried, spicy, Indian potato chip equivalent that is heavenly.

Chu 01-17-2010 09:01 AM

I know it's kind of a controversial subject but... I ate whale at a restaurant in Shibuya on Saturday. Me and my friend shared whale steak, whale sashimi, and whale katsu. It was pretty good! It had the texture of beef, but a unique "tang" that gave it a distinct flavor.

Gwrrrk 01-17-2010 02:36 PM

I realized today that my diet is turning into less of a "I am eating three large meals a day" to more of a "I am eating very small servings as well as snacking at multiple points throughout the day."

Posaune 01-17-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu (Post 656052)
I know it's kind of a controversial subject but... I ate whale at a restaurant in Shibuya on Saturday. Me and my friend shared whale steak, whale sashimi, and whale katsu. It was pretty good! It had the texture of beef, but a unique "tang" that gave it a distinct flavor.

Really, I'd heard whale is pretty boring. Maybe it is because there are so many different cuts of it..

shivam 01-17-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog (Post 655939)
I highly recommend a bag of Murruku/Chakri/Chakali. A fried, spicy, Indian potato chip equivalent that is heavenly.

chakri is my favorite snack food EVER.
it's garbanzo flour deep fried into spiral shapes.

Matchstick 01-17-2010 09:50 PM

I just got back from an awesome meal at a churrascaria we were trying out, since the one we used to go to closed its doors (to our dismay). The meal was great, but the interesting part was the dessert. When we got the list, I asked my friend that was with us (who is 1/2 Brazilian) what "walnut cream" was. His eyes bugged out and he looked at the menu to verify that they had it. Apparently, it's a traditional dessert that doesn't get made very often in any restaurants (I'd certainly never heard of it). He said, "It's exactly what it sounds like." Since I love walnuts, I decided to give it a try. It was basically a metric ton of chopped walnuts in a suspension of a light chocolate mousse. Man, was it tasty.

Silent Noise 01-18-2010 07:31 PM

I want those so bad.

TheSL 01-19-2010 07:26 AM

The founder of Taco Bell died.

Calorie Mate 01-19-2010 01:03 PM

Emergency time: I have (delicious) left over chile for lunch today, but I forgot a fork or spoon with which to eat it. What's a man to do?

Balrog 01-19-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calorie Mate (Post 657947)
Emergency time: I have (delicious) left over chile for lunch today, but I forgot a fork or spoon with which to eat it. What's a man to do?

MAN UP

TheSL 01-19-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calorie Mate (Post 657947)

Put it in a cup and drink it?

Calorie Mate 01-19-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog (Post 657956)
MAN UP

...I asked the secretary for help and she found a plastic spoon for me.

Dawnswalker 01-19-2010 03:06 PM

That's good enough.

If you were a real man you would have used your hand...

Phat 01-19-2010 04:42 PM

I just brewed this stuff that calls itself "green tea with jasmine" and HOLY LORD does it taste like bitter ass soap.

I have a 400g tin of this shit!

shivam 01-19-2010 05:25 PM

you left it too long. green tea needs like one minute before you pull it out. if you can't see the bottom of your glass, its overdone.

cortbassist89 01-19-2010 06:22 PM

Not Worth Its Own Bread?

Apparently, I am the only person in Oklahoma who loves bologna.

nunix 01-19-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shivam (Post 658205)
you left it too long. green tea needs like one minute before you pull it out. if you can't see the bottom of your glass, its overdone.

Are you talking about bags? I always leave loose leaf in the pot. Pour after ~2 minutes, and then just let it steep til I finish the first cup (I have these small clay teacups so the second batch steeps maybe ~10 minutes) and then pour the rest.

Phat: also, green tea should be in water that's about 150 F, and definitely not more than about 165 F. If you just wait for the water to boil, let it sit for 10 minutes or so before adding it to the leaves (I'm assuming leaves since you mention a 400g tin).

Tea is kinda bitter anyway, as a rule.

Thanks to ZRofel's recent anecdote I just ordered a bunch of Chinese food for dinner. so hungry.

Phat 01-19-2010 07:19 PM

You misunderstand me! I brew loose-leaf tea all the time. This jasmine tea has a regular green counterpart that tastes just fine. It's just, I don't know, a really shitty additive or flavouring or something.

I have this maple-flavoured stuff that brews to the colour, strength and consistency of black coffee in like four seconds but for some reason this jasmine tea takes the cake.

EXTRA TEA COMMENTS: Every time I go to Halifax I visit this hardcore Chinese dude who sells imported tea out of a house. There is tea stacked floor to ceiling like a Japanese bachelor's videogame collection and you can never leave without trying all the new flavours he just shipped in. Drinking shot after shot of delicious tea with a tea monk in a tiny little duplex is a religious experience.

nunix 01-19-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phat (Post 658323)
You misunderstand me! I brew loose-leaf tea all the time. This jasmine tea has a regular green counterpart that tastes just fine. It's just, I don't know, a really shitty additive or flavouring or something.

Oh!

Yeah I don't think I'd buy any kinda leaves with extra flavouring added, that seems like a recipe.. for disaster.

Bergasa 01-20-2010 11:30 AM

So guys, throwback sodas. By popular demand, Throwback Pepsi and Mountain Dew has been brought back, and Dr. Pepper is getting in on the action with "Heritage Dr. Pepper." Dr. Pepper is my favourite soda, so I'm particularly excited about that one, but I missed out on the Pepsi and Mountain Dew last time, so I look forward to getting in on those too.

All of these are advertised as containing "real sugar." If they don't currently contain real sugar, what are they using? Is this a disctinction between cane sugar and corn syrup?

Also, where have you guys found these in stores? Anyone come across the Heritage Dr. Pepper yet?

shivam 01-20-2010 11:35 AM

currently, sodas use corn syrup.

my discontent-- i was making a pot of tea, and didnt have my little tea ball thing, so i poured straight from the bag, and the whole fucking bag fell in, and i wasted it all =(