The Return of Talking Time

The Return of Talking Time (http://www.talking-time.net/index.php)
-   Talking about creating (http://www.talking-time.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The "Not worth its own thread" thread - Creative Edition (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=11327)

Falselogic 09-14-2015 12:15 AM

Youre really really good at coloring Lady...

bobbywatson 09-14-2015 06:13 AM

This looks fantastic, Lady!

Johnny Unusual 09-29-2015 01:54 AM

That's absolutely gorgeous.

Adam 09-29-2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas (Post 2008395)
I shouldn't be allowed to post this late at night.

Bullshit and shenanigans. I found these concepts very intriguing.

Warg 12-07-2015 04:15 PM

Hey, has anyone here made their own Google Cardboard headset?

I'm trying to see if there's a kit that includes all the parts, perhaps sans cardboard, based on the I/O 2015 specifications -- so, like, at least 34mm-diameter lenses (most pre-built sets I've seen have had at least 37mm-diameter lenses, and the higher-end plastic ones even use 45mm to 50mm ones), along with the conductive foam (though I've seen pre-builts that allow an opening for the thumb), the NFC tag... stuff like that.

I mean, yeah, there are the pre-built kits, but most of the appeal, to me, is that you can design and make your own set, for the most part.

Kazin 12-08-2015 09:13 AM

Thinking about messing around with Youtube for my entertainment, possibly other peoples.

Was looking for a suggestion or two about what would be a good program to use for audio (and possibly video) editing, and maybe a recommendation for a reasonably priced mic. I'm basically thinking I'd like to drop no more than maybe $100 on this in total, if possible. No idea if that's even feasible! I literally have no idea where to start.

I'm using a laptop that's a few years old that has Windows 7, if that makes a difference.

Lady 12-09-2015 08:12 PM

audacity is the go-to free sound editing program, but for videos, I've played around a little with Shotcut.

Kazin 12-10-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady (Post 2054298)
audacity is the go-to free sound editing program, but for videos, I've played around a little with Shotcut.

It never occurred to me that there'd be good programs that would be free, so this is really cool. Once I reformat my hard drives laptop, I'm gonna give these a shot. Thank you!

bobbywatson 12-31-2015 02:40 PM

Are there experts in font creation around here? I'm trying to make one with my own handwriting (the goal is to use it in a comic I am creating), but I'm having an issue that I can't really wrap my head around. Here it is:

So, when I type the P with another capital letter next to it, it looks fine, but when I put a vowel, then this creates this wide white space (I'm sure there is a technical term for that, but I have no idea what it is). Yet, if I type the two vowels together, this looks fine.

Thoughts? All this font making stuff is new to me, so any help would be appreciated!

Googleshng 12-31-2015 02:56 PM

Kerning is the word you're looking for. The last couple times I've messed with making my own fonts though were back in the days of fixed widths.

bobbywatson 12-31-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Googleshng (Post 2064474)
Kerning is the word you're looking for. The last couple times I've messed with making my own fonts though were back in the days of fixed widths.

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks!

Umbaglo 02-22-2016 06:48 PM

I don't know if this is the best place for it, but is anyone paying attention to or taking part in InGaDeMo? The theme is tabletop games, so I'm thinking of using this to get myself to work more on the mecha RP system I've been tinkering with on and off for a while.

Kirin 02-23-2016 09:00 AM

Shit, if I wasn't super busy right now with work and other things, that would be a great opportunity to finish off the Pro Bending tabletop game I had at beta/playtest stage before getting distracted a few years ago...

Umbaglo 02-23-2016 08:00 PM

Man, annoyingly I haven't really had the time to do much writing or planning myself, either, since it started. I've gotten some ideas to refine some of the things I had already done on the project, though. I just need to sit down and start writing some update stuff and also writing the rule"book" itself so I can try asking people to start playtesting and making sure I'm not entirely out to lunch with the base idea.

Lucas 02-27-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirin (Post 2092305)
Shit, if I wasn't super busy right now with work and other things, that would be a great opportunity to finish off the Pro Bending tabletop game I had at beta/playtest stage before getting distracted a few years ago...

Like from Legend of Korra? This sounds like the perfect opportunity to realize you aren't as busy as you thought and totally have time to make a board game!

Sir Sly Ry 03-25-2016 02:07 PM

Any other musicians spend time coming up with ideas, jamming new riffs, incorporating older, unused riffs, into something that could really be worked into something special, just to realize the thing follows pretty much the exact same progression of something you wrote two years ago?

Argh.

muteKi 03-25-2016 10:34 PM

every

damn

time

Actually what's even more likely is that every time I finish a song someone links to me a song with the exact same chord progression or melody line or something, no matter how odd or uncommon my idea is. Which is how I know the next game I put out has a soundalike of Midori's Osaru

Ultimately all my music is covers eventually so have Moon from Duck Tales

JamesGoblin 04-07-2016 02:03 AM

"The Horrible Fate of DJ Kitty" (NSFW if you're a cat-person):

A little kitten was happily playing her DJ stuff...

...when the lightning struck!

_________ E N D __________

Büge 08-15-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivers (Post 2198370)
Back when we had good income I blew $450 on an airbrush and portable compressor, and I've never regretted it. If you can afford it, there's nothing wrong with splurging on a luxury item once in a while. :-)

That said, if you ever need suggestions on air compressors: buy an Iwata.

This reminds me: a long time ago, I bought an airbrush. I had planned to get some lessons at the time, but that plan fell through. Now I don't know where to go for learning airbrush techniques that doesn't cost as much as night school, and I'm too intimidated to practice on my own. It's primarily for painting models, and I don't want to mess them up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for learning?

Eddie 09-04-2016 10:15 AM

Don't know if this is the right thread but... my first cross-stitch!

(D&D adventure book presented for scale.)

- Eddie

Loki 09-04-2016 10:21 AM

Nice! You going to frame it or at least magnet it to a refrigerator?

Eddie 09-04-2016 11:08 AM

I'm going to give it to a long-time friend and Homestar Runner fan. She instantly popped into my head as "this is someone who would really appreciate this."

(It's the second favorite piece of art I've done, the first being a painting of my friend and his family in the same post/outfits as the painting from the Family Ties intro, except I left Michael J. Fox in there. I wish I had kept a picture!)

- Eddie

Falselogic 09-20-2016 10:35 AM

I read this yesterday and then promptly forgot about it and then I was reading Madhair's comments in his video thread about the low view counts of this movies and Teg's comment in there about having to draw for a year, everyday, before gaining an audience and it reminded me of this essay.

The essay talks about a lot of things, but the two I took away are that creative work is work. Hard work. The second is that none of this stuff is going to pay well... It's a good read if a depressing one.

muteKi 09-20-2016 10:38 AM

oh man, what's an audience

Rya 11-07-2016 05:42 AM

I really love creation and creative people. Being creative just feels really special, better than even a relationship does. And I feel drawn to creative people. If a creative person I admire would ask me on a date, I'd instantly say yes, completely disregarding the gender.

Creative people are also often hard to communicate with, however. Many of them feel very unreachable. Many of the more talented ones also tend to have a horrible personality. And they tend to suddenly disappear without saying a word or you just end up being ignored by them after you're done helping them out. It always seemed to be impossible to stay in contact with them for long.

Even though it hurts, I can still relate, because I'm not better when I'm creative. To accomplish really great things, you really need to seclude you from the whole world. In my case it's often triggered when I reached a new low, nobody to talk with, everybody ignores me, remaining friends broke up contact... at that time I just give up on humanity and change into a weird creative mode in which I just work 16 hours every day to create that one thing. I don't even sleep properly anymore, sleep instead turns into a phase where I think about ideas in form of dreams. In such a creation phase I usually don't talk with anybody. The phase often lasts about 2-4 weeks and is followed by a depression phase the moment you completely run out of energy. But still, it usually was worth it, you created something good and it makes you feel proud of yourself. You have created something, you are a god.

But this feeling is quite fragile. One wrong sentence from an external source can make your world crumble down. But you still need feedback. Something you can work with. Something that tells you that what you did was really something great.

So as a creative person, you are always struggling between wanting feedback and not wanting to lose all your motivation. It can make you insane. And that's probably why all the creative people I met so far had so horrible personalities. It is just a shell of self defense. These people just gave up on getting feedback, because getting it hurts so much, even though you need it.

I found myself often initially reacting very aggressive to feedback, always pointing out why the feedback was "wrong" or just trying to explain why I won't change that one thing. But still all the feedback I got has partially formed my personality. Feedback I originally reacted aggressive to actually was taken into consideration in a new version or at least for future projects. People who originally gave me feedback might feel like I just stubbornly denied any kind of feedback whereas in truth I have fixed all the problems they mentioned by now, just without them ever knowing.
So for me the truth is, feedback is important, feedback is essential, feedback gives you motivation, no matter how much it hurts, always get feedback. No matter if everyone hates you after you went into an uncontrollable rage, get the feedback.

I really love feedback, but it seems to be quite hard to get it these days. I used to be in a game journalism community based on Tim Rogers, a game journalist being famous for writing 10+ page long reviews. And that community was great. You could write a 3+ page long post analyzing certain game aspects on why or why you didn't like a game and people actually replied to you with a 4+ page reply on which you then again replied with a 5+ page reply. You could go into really in-depth discussion and it basically went on until someone finally gave up. Back then you could even convince people they were wrong or realized yourself that they got a point. So you kinda came to an agreement eventually.

One of my greatest moments was when I met a person that really hated SaGaFrontier so much that he actually destroyed the CD and he was like "I can't understand how someone can like it", so I started to explain it to him... in-depth. In the end, he was quite impressed and my words actually made him want to play the game and he ended up buying it a second time. Later he said he actually enjoys it now.

These times were great. Today it seems like nobody really wants to go into such in-depth discussions anymore. When two people don't agree these days, it will just be "Oh well, different people different tastes" and then that's it. But opinion is also not something that's already determined when born. And it's something that can change. You might just not like the game because you played it in a way that was not enjoyable. And the reason why you play it like that while other people don't then again depends on your life experiences. Actually analyzing them can be quite interesting, but people don't really want to do that anymore, or so it seems to me.
I mean these times you can be happy if people even read your post when it's more than a few sentences without asking for a "tl;dr".

I was actually looking for another game journalism forum lately so I entered "game journalism forum" into google and the results were saddening:
Quote:

Gaming "journalism" is over. [...]
... It needs to end, as gamers have been saying, but journalists aren't making things easy with hostile articles .... But game journalists have pretty much been irrelevant to me since I stopped being one.
[...]
Why is game journalism so crap?
[...]
Slate: "Gaming Journalism is Over"
[...]
Does anyone honestly give a crap about gaming journalism ...
[...]
Game journalists have a subconscious desire to hate Sonic games ...
[...]
The Truth About Video Game Journalism
[...]
All this week, every forum thread I read is decrying the state of the gaming press. My Twitter feed, conversely, full of gaming journalists, ...
Seems like the attitude of there actually being a correct and wrong rather than "opinion" is a quite hated approach on things. And it's not really a surprise, even in the community I was in, it was known that "we are hated by everyone else on the internet" (the registration was even hidden and you could only get an account by talking with the admin) and eventually it was closed out of that very reason "hated community makes the website look bad". But these in-depth discussions are what I really really miss these days.

I just had to post about one of my games in that community and the next day I had 5 people replying who all seriously played the game and gave in-depth feedback. Back then I thought it's just natural to get feedback easily in a community where you are fairly known because it had some kind of "Wait, that weird dude with the crazy opinions made a game? Must try!" vibe, but it appears that this was simply a special feat of that community and outside of it, it's actually super hard and special to get any kind of serious feedback.

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't do many things different. I'd even go through all my failed relationships again, doing exactly the same mistakes again, but the one thing I'd change would be to somehow manage to stay in contact with all these guys that gave feedback and act a bit more normal to not be banned from certain sub-communities. Oh well, it's too late now. I can only fight for it by keep making long posts like this in the hope someone reads it.

Anyway, that's what I wanted to say about creation and being creative for now. Please all stay creative! I love you.

Guild 11-13-2016 02:20 PM

I will sternly critique all the things always. Its the easy part of creating's 7-part rainbow for me: the hat of destruction, critique and decomposition, hat of new soil and potential! I wear it somberly and respectfully, the Shade hat.

bobbywatson 11-14-2016 03:11 PM

I seemed to have lost all motivation this week. I worked a bit on my webcomic this weekend, but the page in progress is far from finished. I was hoping to have it done today but, for some reason, I just did not feel like working on it.

All of last week, I was thinking of practicing figure drawing. I sat down this afternoon to do just that (I have a scene in mind that I would like to do), but I ended up staring at the blank sheet of paper. I drew a triangle on it, then erased it. I just wasn't feeling like it.

I started working on a NaNoWriMo novel (which is pretty much a rough draft for the next chapters of the webcomic), and I stopped at 9500 words. Again, I just don't feel like working on it.

I guess this slump could be a combination of multiple factors:
  • Reduced daylight/seasonal depression
  • Depressing news
  • Results that are not where I would like them to be
  • Loneliness

I'm just not sure what to think, really.

Traumadore 11-16-2016 03:00 PM

That's not too unusual when it comes to creative work, but look at it another way. You're actually really prolific for someone who has another full time job! Even on your slowest weeks you're doing what a lot of other people wish they were doing while they're grinding away.

Paul le Fou 12-10-2016 03:48 PM

This is the, uh, let's say beta version of my HEMA gear kit. The gauntlets aren't mine, mine will look (and feel) much nicer and also have some green on them. Also it's not a great picture, you can't see my elbow/forearm guards at all, just the straps.

There are a few things left I want to do.

One, I want to color the knee, shin, and elbow/forearm guards green.

I'm not really sure how to go about it, though. The simplest would be to just color them completely solid green. A bit of tape,some spray paint, and done.

I've been thinking about adding some sort of design, though. I'm shite at visual art so I don't know what I want to do with it. I thought like, two or three slashes of green lengthwise maybe? But that could just end up looking stripey.

Anyone have any ideas? Things that might look cool?

Also, since these are things that, like, Get Hit: is there something like a clearcoat I can put over the top to protect the color a little more? Or will I just have to accept cool battlescars in the paint? (This is acceptable to me.)

Falselogic 12-11-2016 09:56 PM

I'm trying to make a thing inside another thing

by the way anyone want a Dragon Warrior board?