The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Highway To HFIL

Wavedash Games is formed of the guys who made the popular Brawl mod Project M. Icons is meant to be Project M's spiritual successor - which could be good, but could also be bad.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:51 PM

That thumbnail is showcasing a brutally unappealing character design.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Wavedash Games is formed of the guys who made the popular Brawl mod Project M. Icons is meant to be Project M's spiritual successor - which could be good, but could also be bad.
They called themselves "Wavedash Games" and made a competitive smash clone. *EYEROLLSOHARD* By the way, that's the problem some of y'all are seeing with the clone games...they're based on COMPETITIVE Smash, not, "I like to play smash for what it is and have fun" Smash.

Abigail's redesign reminds me of that huge guy with the super tiny head from Battleborn. This is what happens when you lift weights without the full range of motion. He's gonna clash so hard with the rest of the cast, I swear...but his stage is awesome and he DOES have a fun personality.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Just bear with me

I'm terrible at Smash Bros. Melee, and honestly, I don't want to get better at it. I'm with Riot in thinking that Smash Bros. is best when you don't think of it as a hardcore game.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:55 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Got one of these coming in the mail, pretty excited.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Got one of these coming in the mail, pretty excited.
Fangamer is a bad addiction. I really want all the windjammer gear and frisbee.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Bob

Yeah, unfortunately that does not look very appealing to me. If they tried to do their own thing with character movesets, then that'd be one thing, but it looks a lot like the characters themselves are ports.

I know I say this a lot on this forum, but I think that both competitive and fun Smash is viable. I like Melee a lot as a competitive game, it's a ton of fun. Project M was really cool, if not perfect, and I enjoyed playing it.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Highway To HFIL

I have faith that they could make a good game mechanically speaking, but so far it looks extremely unappealing.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:08 PM
forbidden noise

at the end of the day it's really hard for me not to think trying to make a smash-like game without nintendo characters is a fool's errand. surely there can't be that many players who truly don't care about the characters (and for that matter, i have to think project m was driven as much by this as anything, with its efforts to revive popular characters from melee and increase the overall diversity of viable options)

of course it's hardly new or insightful to say that fighting games, more than maybe any other genre, live and die on their style and have a huge leg up if they're associated with a license that's already popular, but that doesn't make it not true. i'm not gonna wish ill on indie game developers, but uh, seriously, they're going to need some really good luck
Old 07-19-2017, 02:21 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

I like the idea of Project M but the worst thing about it is all the stage redesigns it does that make more than 1v1 combat basically impossible, like omega mode from 4 but worse
Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Just bear with me

Yeah, a great deal of Smash Bros' success comes from your emotional investment in the characters. You know 'em, you love 'em, you want to put them together in a fight to the death. It's a cruel joke to call this knock-off Icons, because there's nothing iconic about these random schmoes.

Even Smash clones from other major publishers suffered from this problem, with rosters full of characters that aren't as beloved and don't fit especially well together. Heihachi vs. Parappa the Rapper or Yugo the Wolf vs. Simon Belmont aren't match ups that get your heart pumping the way Link vs. Samus do. At least they're recognizable names, though. Here's all you get from Icons.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:02 AM
Smudged

Smash clones obviously can't compete with Smash in any meaningful way, but a small enough team wouldn't have to. Rivals of Aether seems to be doing okay for itself. Though Aether's identity of Avatar with furries is a lot more distinct than Icons's identity of... uh... someone from space fighting someone who is not from space.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Sega CD version is better

Because one Smash-clone announcement wasn't enough this week!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM

That looks way more PlayStation allatars what with the whole life bar and supers exploding people.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Mystery Contraption

This one has characters I actually care about and who are visually appealing in distinctive looking arenas even if I didn't!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:13 PM
forbidden noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
That looks way more PlayStation allatars what with the whole life bar and supers exploding people.
i still think playstation allstars had a lot going for it, it's just that only about 1/3 of the characters were actually cool/interesting

i would've bought it on the spot if it had ico or wander. sly was really fun though
Old 07-20-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
i still think playstation allstars had a lot going for it, it's just that only about 1/3 of the characters were actually cool/interesting

i would've bought it on the spot if it had ico or wander
I won the lie it was fun for what it was. It felt distinctively different and it had some pretty swank combos! Though balance was a major issue I think.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Yeah, a great deal of Smash Bros' success comes from your emotional investment in the characters. You know 'em, you love 'em, you want to put them together in a fight to the death. It's a cruel joke to call this knock-off Icons, because there's nothing iconic about these random schmoes.

Even Smash clones from other major publishers suffered from this problem, with rosters full of characters that aren't as beloved and don't fit especially well together. Heihachi vs. Parappa the Rapper or Yugo the Wolf vs. Simon Belmont aren't match ups that get your heart pumping the way Link vs. Samus do. At least they're recognizable names, though. Here's all you get from Icons.

Really, the only game studio with a large number of characters I'd consider to be almost as iconic as Nintendo's would be Capcom's, and that's mostly due to the loads and loads of sequels, rereleases, and ensemble fighting games.

Like, somebody may have never played a Darkstalkers game, but they'd probably recognize Morrigan from her appearances in Marvel vs. Capcom.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I'm terrible at Smash Bros. Melee, and honestly, I don't want to get better at it. I'm with Riot in thinking that Smash Bros. is best when you don't think of it as a hardcore game.
Smash is allowed to have depth and skill, as pretty much all games are, but my thing is just that the competitive scene made a boring ruleset and called it a "fighting game", and then got mad when people that play fighting games said, "uh, no." but still we see Smash at Fighting Game majors.

Let's not forget, MARIO KART DS WAS AT EVO ONCE...that didn't suddenly make it a fighting game.

Tags
#yolo , ark system works , at ease losah , capcom , capcom killed my family , cheep cheep is cheap , coffee hates casuals , dizzy stay out , fighting games , fuck conveyance , i'd like some pancakes , im getting motivated , no gurls allowed , projectiles are cheap , respect my footsies , scrubbing bubbles , shoutouts to shoutouts , shoutouts to tags , teleporting is cheap , throwing is cheap , tires don't exits , what about mega man? , with the greatest of ease , yolo