The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-16-2017, 03:17 AM
..and his little cat, too

Meh, I'm too annoyed with them canceling Talking Smack and Unfiltered to think much about that right now.

Apparently pyro is out now, too. I'll be less bothered by that if they bring back the lights they used to have.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:16 AM
concern troll

pyro is out, like, entirely? Weird.

Talking Smack will still be a post-PPV thing, but it was a pretty cool thing to have weekly. Maybe the talent was shooting too much?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:50 AM

Word is Vince sat in last week, didn't like it, and cancelled it. Meltzer says that's not it, though.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Apparently pyro is out now, too.
I expect that to last as long as it takes for Angle to make his first entrance as a wrestler. But, really, they've phased it out for a long time - likely because you can't use pyro in NXT most of the time and so everyone who gets called up doesn't have it linked to established entrances (or they've got substitutes, like Bayley).

Quote:
cuz I don't think there is something more boring than watch two exhausted guys trying to climb out of two cages.
The Batista / Khali one was fun just for the sight of seeing poor, old, broken down and steroid abused Batista getting to the top of the first cage and realising that he has to do a fairly long standing broad jump or, like, die, will never stop being entertaining.

I'm proud to say that I've never seen the UT / Big Show match. I don't know that I ever will.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:37 AM

I can see them bringing pyro back for big events or certain guys (Kane, for instance).
Old 07-18-2017, 09:57 PM
:V

So is Vince's purpose in life turning everyone into singles competitor jobbers? I thought everyone loved American Alpha. Or is it because they got Angle back and they released Swagger they don't need anyone else doing the Olympian slash All American schtick? Blows my mind, and never in a good way.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:52 PM

So rumor is WWE officials are disappointed with the Mae Young Classic, because the women aren't good looking enough in the ring. I swear if this is the reason people like Nia Jax can't move forward I'm more than a little pissed.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:34 AM
concern troll

I feel like Nia is in a good place right now being Alexa's heavy because she's still pretty green. But she should for sure win a title at some point, and if they don't because of her body then that's total bullshit.

I haven't watched SD yet, but hearing they broke up ANOTHER good young tag-team doesn't fill me with a lot of hope. NXT was a tag-team paradise a few years ago, but NONE of those teams have really gotten over in the same way since. As much as I love The New Day, I don't really need to see them competing for the titles AGAIN to enjoy watching them.

The biggest problem with WWE right now is they can't seem to write any angles other than "wanna be champion" so there's no good under-card rivals a lot of the time. This is most glaring in the Tag, women's, and cruiser divisions. At least with the main roster they have a decent churn of undercards, though shit like Elias Sampson feuding with Balor makes me scratch my head for sure ...
Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

*shrug* It's an aesthetic business first and foremost (there hasn't been a Vader / Yokozuna type champion since whenever Mark Henry or Big Show last held the title... which would be, what, 2011? It's not common.). There's room for one monster on each brand for the women, but other than that the company's always going to lean more towards fitness model-types because they're more marketable, especially if they turn out to be good in the ring (see: Bliss, Alexa).

They can afford to be really picky when it comes to women's wrestlers because they only need 12 - 14 of them, and a good 8 - 10 of the spots are already spoken for and are likely to be occupied for years on end.

(To say nothing of the fact that they need people to fill space on Total Divas more than anything else, given the fact that the viewership of that show is actually inflating their ratings while male viewers are decreasing. And even if WWE wouldn't care what women looked like, E! sure as fuck does.)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 AM
Is there not one thing

Per Dave Meltzer, WWE has seen declining viewership for 15 of the last 16 years. Word is that their financial projections depend on indefinitely increasing broadcast fees, which are up for renegotiation this year.

Righting this ship would be a job worthy of Jan Carlzon, but I have doubts that Aitch or Steph are up to it.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Last time TV rights went up WWE stock tanked.

Might want to prepare to short some this time around.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:16 AM
:V

You know what would both save them millions a year and at the same time give their other singles talent more exposure?

Getting rid of Berrrr-rock! Les-nerrrrrrrr!

And they need to get rid of whoever is writing in the back that is giving Miz all the exposure and decent writing. Miz neither has the build (even less abs) of someone they want to push and does anyone in fandom even like him other than ironically? (yes yes, wwe movies etc)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Rights deal isn't up until 2019.

(And the stock didn't tank so much that Vince worked the market by getting analysts to say they'd get a massive deal. It traded up to $34 / share before settling back down to regular levels.)

They've lost viewers, but USA has lost far more and is completely dependent on them to maintain their position as cable's #1 station. Even as Raw's dropped, Smackdown's probably become just as important to USA because it allows them to stabilize two nights of their schedule for uber-cheap.

They're on the tail end of the rights bubble, but worst case is that they just get the same deal / escalators they have now. Until and unless USA completely changes their business model, they're insulated from any worries. At which point they have the discussion about how much they can charge for the Network if Raw and SD are on it, but... that's a LOT of revenue they'll have to make up.

And they love Miz because he's a ridiculously hard-working guy in terms of radio show appearances / marketing / etc. He's been spoken of as being the only guy with a Cena-esque work ethic, because Brock / Roman sure as shit aren't doing Kalamazoo's morning zoo program at 6:30 AM on the morning of a Friday house show.

(If you watch Punk's DVD you can see how that schedule played a big part in breaking him down. Not every top guy is a workaholic like Cena.)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicmailman View Post

And they need to get rid of whoever is writing in the back that is giving Miz all the exposure and decent writing. Miz neither has the build (even less abs) of someone they want to push and does anyone in fandom even like him other than ironically? (yes yes, wwe movies etc)
What? The Miz is one of the best heels they've got right now! I just want him to move on from this Ambrose feud because it's gone too long.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Rights deal isn't up until 2019.

(And the stock didn't tank so much that Vince worked the market by getting analysts to say they'd get a massive deal. It traded up to $34 / share before settling back down to regular levels.)
Lmao remind me to light a candle for the analysts who have to cover the clown prince of carnies.

Honestly they should put analysts on WWE before they send them over to tech or VC desks. It's good practice at sniffing out a work.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:51 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

NO! Competent analysts means opportunities for profit would be eliminated. You can always find maniacs more than willing to spin the company line of four million network subscribers in the near term, and they're not even married to JBL or anything like that.

(I'm not saying I sold short at the peak... but I sold short at just under $30. I think that paid for a vacation.)

Shane McMahon apparently got very very lucky last night, as the chopper he was flying home in from (I presume) LaGuardia crashed into the water. Both he and the pilot made it out, but... yeesh, add him to the Ric Flair club of "guys you want to fly with because what are the odds it happens twice?"
Old 07-19-2017, 10:56 AM

Yeah the stock tanking was a correction. TV rights probably wouldn't do much this time I guess.

I agree on getting rid of brock, he's been phoning in it and is difficult to write around. I think there are enough large talents coming up with the potential to look like killers between Braun and some of the NXT talent like the authors of pain that it probably wouldn't hurt the brand.

Really it depends on how well they did off of his UFC 200 appearance, yeah?

As for Miz: y'all got it wrong, it's Ambrose that's stinking up all those matches.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:57 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Ambrose is the only guy in history whose career was wrecked by podcasting.

I honestly don't know how Renee can stand to be with such an oversensitive loser.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:59 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicmailman View Post
As for Miz: y'all got it wrong, it's Ambrose that's stinking up all those matches.
Ambrose needs a heel turn and a chance to be vicious. His moveset is too "wacky" right now. I think he has a great mean heel run in him, but they won't let him get away from the "lunatic" babyface thing.

Quote:
Ambrose is the only guy in history whose career was wrecked by podcasting.
Are you talking about the Stone Cold one where he threw Lesner under the bus? or did something else happen?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Ambrose needs a heel turn and a chance to be vicious. His moveset is too "wacky" right now. I think he has a great mean heel run in him, but they won't let him get away from the "lunatic" babyface thing.
Ambrose would make a sick Suzuki-style heel who is a total asshole to all and sundry. The man was born to play a scumbag.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Honestly him and Rollins can be released tomorrow and I wouldn't care~
Old 07-19-2017, 11:58 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Are you talking about the Stone Cold one where he threw Lesner under the bus? or did something else happen?
Kind of, but I think there's been some other ones where people have just gone off on him and his general lack of motivation (I want to say Cena lit into him without naming names at one point)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Ambrose would make a sick Suzuki-style heel who is a total asshole to all and sundry. The man was born to play a scumbag.
He was a really good heel in the early days of the Shield. He probably should've been the one to turn, not Rollins.

Quote:
Really it depends on how well they did off of his UFC 200 appearance, yeah?
And, apparently, how they're going to do when UFC books him again later in the year. Good lord, I knew WME/IMG were desperate, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
And, apparently, how they're going to do when UFC books him again later in the year. Good lord, I knew WME/IMG were desperate, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.
*voice trailing off as I disappear down a toilet labeled WRITEDOWN* it's a cyclical business kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid
Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Happy 8th anniversary!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:20 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Brock update from the WON: he's back in testing, but he can't be cleared for the MSG show in November and WWE likely wouldn't release him for any time post-January, so there's a very small window if he wants to fight at all. Dave thinks it's more of a negotiating ploy on his part, especially as he could just re-up on the deal since it has a pair of options built in on the tail end.

Also, the "the WWE didn't like the women's tournament because the women weren't good-looking enough" thing was pure bullshit. They were very happy with it, and actively booked the Rousey angle on the second night for a potential payoff down the line (Sasha was pulled from the road for it). Since the finals are in Vegas they're expecting Rousey to be at ringside that night as well.

(Spoilered that because it makes it obvious who one of the participants in the finals is, I think.)

(Of course, UFC's desperation means they're likely to back a Brinks truck up to Ronda's house if they're doing so for Brock.)

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron