The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Once I've started a book, I find it very hard to abandon it. In some cases, even after reading the first book of a trilogy and finding it bad, I've gone and read the next two just to finish the (tired, hackneyed, cliched) plot. It's a tough grip to break.

The fifth Dune book was so bad that I abandoned it quite early on, never looked back, and couldn't bring myself to look at any other book in the series. If you must read more, stop after the third. You'll be happier for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsRobot View Post
As poor as the latter Dune books are, they are masterworks of literature compared to the Kevin J Anderson-penned tie-ins.
Others have expressed similar sentiments.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Better be the real thing.

I just finished A Storm of Swords an hour or so ago. The plot twists (especially the one on the very last page) were pretty overwhelming. On the other hand, it took me all month to finish it. I have A Feast For Crows on my to-read fiction shelf, but I think I may bump it back a bit. I already have Ulysses, The Tale of Genji, and The Brothers Karamozov ahead of it, so I decided it should come later, after Animal Farm and Childhood's End.

Last week, I finished Paul Tillich's The Shaking of the Foundations. Tillich is totally my theological hero. He certainly makes, say, Tim LaHaye look like a chump.

And tomorrow, I'm going to get going on Thomas Merton's The Seven Storey Mountain.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Figure Four wrote:
I've just started reading the second volume of The Demon Princes by Jack Vance. This is actually the first of his series that I've read and I quite liked the first volume. Also, Michael Swanwick totally stole the idea of the Institute for Stations of the Tide.
I've read The Star King and The Killing Machine and I hope to get through The Palace of Love before the end of summer. I too am finding The Demon Princes very enjoyable.

At the moment, I'm reading John le Carre's The Honourable Schoolboy, Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day, and Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before. I like all three novels, though Pynchon's book is unbelievably long and quite difficult, and the Eco isn't as good as his first novel, The Name of the Rose, which is one of my favorite books.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:09 AM
King Of Space-Time

I'm trying to get the nerve up to finish A Game Of Thrones. I really hate watching folks paint themselves into a corner.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM

So I picked up the new Star Wars: Legacy of the Force book, Inferno, today.

Spoilers:I was pleasently surprised by how they handled Jacen, excuse me, Darth Cadeus' turn to the Dark Side. This chapter showed everyone turning on him while not quite knowing how far he's gone. At the end when Tenel Ka even turns on him, it one, reminded me of how Padme turned from Anakin, and two, just seemed to give this feeling of "oh hell, he's gonna snap". Honestly, I wish this chapter wasn't so short (289pgs), because I really want to see where this going next. Also SO not surprised by the Sith enclave on Korriban.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM
This is what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
I've read The Star King and The Killing Machine and I hope to get through The Palace of Love before the end of summer. I too am finding The Demon Princes very enjoyable.
I'm actually kind of shocked that another person on these boards is reading that series. Small world. I finished up The Book of Dreams (the final, and best, book in the series) and I am really looking forward to reading more Vance. It took me a little while to get into the series but once I realized that it was less sci-fi than it was, "James Bond...In Space!" it kind of clicked.

When I start up Mass Effect come November I'm so naming my character Kirth.

Currently reading: Halo: The Ghost of Onyx. Like the other Nylund penned Halo novels it's a lot of fun. Just makes me that much more excited for September 25th.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM
this is fake news

I am reading C. J. Cherryh Foreigner and once I'm finished with with ~10 novel series I'm going to be reading Zelazny's Great Book of Amber, another 10 novels. I've got my reading schedule booked.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Inscaper

Just finished Carl Hiassen's Sick Puppy.

Chock full of Hiassen's trademark mix of surrealty, lunacy, hilarity, and plain old hardcore noir.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 PM

Hooray for Carl Hiaasen! And hooray for him co-writing songs with Warren Zevon (actually how I discovered Hiaasen in the first place).
Old 08-29-2007, 08:00 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkuro View Post
Reading now: The Last Unicorn. Too early to give any verdict.
This is a criminally underrated book. It tells a beautiful story while also parodying common elments in fantasy stories. If you don't like it, I will loose all respect for you.

Has anyone else ever read this? I've only met one other person who has, and she was the one who loaned it to me in the first place. If you haven't, please do.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:21 PM
This is what happens!

I read it a couple years ago and I really and truly loved it. I've always been interested in the idea of immortality and its consequences (in fact one of my favorite characters/stories that I've come up with deals quite extensively with this topic). Of all the stuff I've read that has dealt with immortality The Last Unicorn is by far my favorite. A must read for fantasy fans.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Orb Friend

Man, I've been wanting to read The Last Unicorn for ages. It's one of several Never Read The Book But Grew Up On The Rankin & Bass Animated Movie incidents in my life.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 PM
120 Days

Default Cloud Atlas

Im read this book Cloud Atlas. Very weird. It has a strage structure that jumps around various plots and timelines every 50 pages, but yet is all interconnected. Not finished yet, but highly recommended. SO far....
Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
Man, I've been wanting to read The Last Unicorn for ages. It's one of several Never Read The Book But Grew Up On The Rankin & Bass Animated Movie incidents in my life.
Oh, man. There's just no comparing the book and the movie. The cartoon is definitely a decent children's fantasy cartoon, but the book manages to both be a cool fantasy story that kids could enjoy and be hilarious and experimental with fantasy conventions.

(Side note: The Princess Bride is also like this. The movie is a fairly conventional fantasy story, but the book is both a conventional story and plays with fantasy conventions. If you've only seen the movie, YOU MUST READ THE BOOK.)
Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Nice On!

I dunno if it really counts, perse, as it's certainly not a full novel, but I just read the first volume of Kino No Tabi and it was charming and made me smile.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
(Side note: The Princess Bride is also like this. The movie is a fairly conventional fantasy story, but the book is both a conventional story and plays with fantasy conventions. If you've only seen the movie, YOU MUST READ THE BOOK.)
Hear, hear! I own a copy of the book and it is just as good as the movie. I hear all the actors in my head as I read all dialogue.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Im read this book Cloud Atlas. Very weird. It has a strage structure that jumps around various plots and timelines every 50 pages, but yet is all interconnected. Not finished yet, but highly recommended. SO far....

Oh GOOOODDDD I envy you.

I love David Mitchell, in the words of Aberforth "Sunshine bursts from his every orifice" Read All his books everyone of them savor every page and then grouse that you have to wait three years for his next one, as he releases them on schedule with his damnable British efficency.

Picture Chuck Palinuik with hope, and about ten thousand times better.

I LURVE DAVID MITCHELL
Old 08-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
This is a criminally underrated book. It tells a beautiful story while also parodying common elments in fantasy stories. If you don't like it, I will loose all respect for you.
Good thing I do like it, then. Actually, I haven't been getting a lot of actual book reading done lately, (Yotsuba&! has been taking up most of that time) so I'm only on chapter... four, I think. It's pretty great so far, though. You have to love Beagle's use of similes. For instance, when he describes a voice as being "like a snake crawling through mud". It makes little sense, especially when taken out of context, but it's brilliantly evocative.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM
For blood and gold

Just finished up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke which was pretty awesome. Next up, I believe, will by Roth's The Plot Against America or something to that effect.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Inscaper

The Plot Against America is overrated.

The bulk of it is great yes. But the ending, well not to give anything away, but did The Sopranoes conclusin piss you off.

Cause if it did you might start straight up killing motherfuckers during the last hundred pages or so of TPAA
Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 PM

The Sopranos had a conclusion? I thought it just ended.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Inscaper

Exactly.

And I LIKE The Sopranoes Ending.

I literally through my copy across the room in frustration when Roth did what he did. 400 pages of masterpiece all undone by a giant steaming turd of awful.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Prosimians are cool too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I'm rereading the second book in Clive Barker's Abarat series. I hope he hurries up with the third one. This is taking forever.
I seriously second this! I thought maybe he had given up with this!
Anyway, I am working my through Charlaine Harris's Lilly Bard mystery series. I enjoy her Southern Vampire series which is going to become an HBO series directed by the guy that did Six Feet Under, I'm excited.
I am also in the fourth book of the Otori trilogy. It is not nearly as good as the first three so I am having a hard time getting through it.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Condiment connoisseur

I'm currently on Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Book of the Dead, having recently re-read all the Pendergast books lately. After that I'll finally get to my friend's copy of Legacy of the Drow that's been sitting in my bookshelf.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
I'm currently on Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Book of the Dead, having recently re-read all the Pendergast books lately. After that I'll finally get to my friend's copy of Legacy of the Drow that's been sitting in my bookshelf.
The new Pendergast novel, Wheel of Darkness, came out recently. I've picked it up, but I'm not really in the mood to read anything right now.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
gatchapon 3*

currently reading the excellent biography of John Adams by David McCullough.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Divergence Theorem

Just finished up Bone of the Moon by Jonathan Carroll. Man, that guy has the best book titles ever. My favorite is probably "Kissing the Beehive", or maybe "The Wooden Sea", but they are all really great (the books too, not just their names). I think I'll read Everything Is Illuminated next. I hear it's pretty good, and it's been sitting on my shelf for over a year. I got it as an impulse buy on the airport on my way to E3 2006.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM

I finished Seven Storey Mountain the other night. It's not often I find a book that so deeply shakes the way I think, but this one did it.

Now I'm working on Andrew Greeley's The Mary Myth, which analyzes the Virgin Mary's function as a symbol. I found it after flipping through a book on goddess traditions that cited Greeley.

Once I'm done with that, I'm starting on To Kill a Mockingbird.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Obstinate Observer

Stiff. It's an interesting, sometimes funny look at what happens to cadavers after they've been donated to science.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 AM
zombie

im reading don dildo's (delillo) Libra

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book