The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-03-2008, 07:46 AM
I say thee neigh

Default wtf is wrong with your spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
If I hear one thing from jds complaining about retcon stories not being able to be good stories I am going to shut his face.

I am looking forward to secret shitvasion finally being over tomorrow. Dear Marvel: Never ever let Brian Mendis right an event series again. NEVER. House of m failed and so does this.
Out of curiosity, did you actually dislike the House of M story arc or the fallout from it? I thought that all the "and now there's only like 300 mutants left or something" stuff was bullshit but the actual HoM story itself was a nice little Avengers/X-Men crossover in ye grande olde tradition
Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Goodbye!

I just bought the hardcover re-release of Paul Pope's Heavy Liquid. I've been loving on 100% for some time now, and this was a glaring hole in my collection. I didn't like it as much as the aforementioned, and the ending is kind of stilted, but man do I love that guy's brushwork.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 AM
There he is!

The last monthly comic I picked up was the last issue of IDW's Transformers Spotlight: Revelations. The new All Hail Megatron books have been utter shit and have, so far, thrown away everything fun and interesting about the series so far in order to have multipage layouts of the Decepticons stomping on people. I'll buy the trade because they are (sigh) part of the continuity now, but I'll be damned if I'll pay for them twice.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
The last monthly comic I picked up was the last issue of IDW's Transformers Spotlight: Revelations. The new All Hail Megatron books have been utter shit and have, so far, thrown away everything fun and interesting about the series so far in order to have multipage layouts of the Decepticons stomping on people. I'll buy the trade because they are (sigh) part of the continuity now, but I'll be damned if I'll pay for them twice.
I thought All Hail Megatron, was a non-canon story, like Hearts of Steel, or Shattered Mirror (or whatever it was called, the one where the Bots were bad and the Cons were good).

And honestly, considering how Devestation ended, I'd be a bit more surprised if Revelations was anything BUT the bad guys winning, left right and center.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I thought All Hail Megatron, was a non-canon story, like Hearts of Steel, or Shattered Mirror (or whatever it was called, the one where the Bots were bad and the Cons were good).

And honestly, considering how Devestation ended, I'd be a bit more surprised if Revelations was anything BUT the bad guys winning, left right and center.
No, I'm pretty sure they've said it's canon. I'd be really happy if it turned out to be the mirror universe from Spotlight: Mirage, but I'm doubtful.

Devastation ended pretty terribly, but I thought Revelation was quite good for only having four issues to wrap up two years of plot. I'm just really irritated by how blatantly AHM has thrown out the premise, characterizations and even character designs that they spent the last 3 years putting together. They had the most interesting Transformers universe yet, and they're screwing it up completely in order to retread the awful first Dreamwave miniseries.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Dear Marvel: Never ever let Brian Mendis right an event series again. NEVER. House of m failed and so does this.
Bendis just thinks that one really big battle at the end is a substitute for not much happening in the preceding issues - if you're going to write an event story, make it an EVENT. Not just a future TPB that happens to star a big cast, y'know?

That said, while I agree that House of M was an awful, awful story - and one that was made even worse once you realise just how badly they managed the thing - this isn't as bad. I don't think it rises to the level of "well, that was mostly decent" like Civil War did, but it's close. That could also be a function of hating Yu's artwork - he's all ugly lines and fuzzy detail. Not a good combination.

Quote:
but the actual HoM story itself was a nice little Avengers/X-Men crossover in ye grande olde tradition
In ye grande olde tradition, something would've happened in the first six issues. Decompressed storytelling = evil, and that was the worst example. At least Secret Invasion had someone throwing punches within a couple of issues.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
Devastation ended pretty terribly.
You mean terribly as in poorly, or terribly as in "Things look grim for our heroes"?

Because if it's the former, I can reply that it was 6 issues of Things! That! Explode!, and toy robots delivering overly melodramatic dialogue while MAKING! THINGS! EXPLODE! And honestly, that's everything I look for in Transformers.

If it's the latter, I agree, since it's not many storylines that are based around Optimus running away saying "Sorry, the Earth is screwed, I'm leaving".

And I can't comment on the rest of your points since I didn't read Revelations yet.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Decompressed storytelling = evil
Only in the wrong hands.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:48 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Nicolai View Post
Only in the wrong hands.
Fair point, although I generally equate "decompressed storytelling" to "bad pacing", which is something of a fundamental flaw.

I don't mind a six-part story; what I mind is a six-part story that you could have told in four, but stretched out to fit the TPB length. That's the hallmark of decompressed storytelling to me - the literal lack of enforcement of storytelling compression.

(Or to put another way: I'd rather read a four-issue story that feels like it had enough material in it to be stretched to five than a five-issue story that feels like a decompressed four.)
Old 12-03-2008, 08:57 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
You mean terribly as in poorly, or terribly as in "Things look grim for our heroes"?

Because if it's the former, I can reply that it was 6 issues of Things! That! Explode!, and toy robots delivering overly melodramatic dialogue while MAKING! THINGS! EXPLODE! And honestly, that's everything I look for in Transformers.

If it's the latter, I agree, since it's not many storylines that are based around Optimus running away saying "Sorry, the Earth is screwed, I'm leaving".

And I can't comment on the rest of your points since I didn't read Revelations yet.
I did mean the former, but that's mainly because I thought the Reavers were boring as all hell, and the fights were stretched out far too long. I did like the "we're abandoning Earth now" stuff, that was neat.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Fair point, although I generally equate "decompressed storytelling" to "bad pacing", which is something of a fundamental flaw.

I don't mind a six-part story; what I mind is a six-part story that you could have told in four, but stretched out to fit the TPB length. That's the hallmark of decompressed storytelling to me - the literal lack of enforcement of storytelling compression.

(Or to put another way: I'd rather read a four-issue story that feels like it had enough material in it to be stretched to five than a five-issue story that feels like a decompressed four.)
I associate decompressed storytelling with manga, but I see where you are coming from. In the silver age there were multi-issue sub-plots but each issue still had a beginning, a middle and an ending. Those 8-page stories in Tales to Astonish could fill an entire issue now.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Oy To The World

Quote:
I associate decompressed storytelling with manga, but I see where you are coming from. In the silver age there were multi-issue sub-plots but each issue still had a beginning, a middle and an ending. Those 8-page stories in Tales to Astonish could fill an entire issue now.
The reason those stories were short were because they needed to be. Stan Lee and company got to tell Spider-Man's origin in about eight pages because it was all they were allowed. Bendis and Bagley got as many pages as they wanted for Ultimate Spider-Man and got to tell the story in a more "epic" fashion. I couldn't tell you which one is better, but it's really just a matter or style. When that style adversely affects pacing, as you mentioned, is where the problem lies.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Inscaper

Personally I don't find Bendis slow. I like his dialogue and his scenes have time to breath in away that few comics do. I like having a comic I know isn't going to be a two minute "read" that consists mainly of people hitting one another with stones.

Mea Culpa I read him mostly in trades and have read neither of his "events".
Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I say thee neigh

Now that it's said and done, I think Secret Invasion was pretty lame. But the new status quo for the next year or so almost justifies it, which I actually hear was the whole reason they went ahead with it anyway.

also i feel bad for jessica and luke
Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Space Prez

Please spoil me. I bailed on SI after issue 3 and never looked back.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm out

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Now that it's said and done, I think Secret Invasion was pretty lame. But the new status quo for the next year or so almost justifies it, which I actually hear was the whole reason they went ahead with it anyway.
Really? I know this stuff is all lost on me at this stage, but I was really hoping for a definitive happy ending complete with full-stop for once rather than setting up next year's story. I'm not sold on the setup either, but that's more because Marvel, I freely admit, can't do anything right in my eyes anymore. (Unless film is involved.)
Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Absolute Watchmen - I've never read any of it

The Walking Dead #1 - I read this over lunch, I don't know how crazy I am about it. Is there a zombie comic that's less emo and more machismo?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
Absolute Watchmen - I've never read any of it
I've heard good things about it.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:58 PM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

The Stand, #3. Here there be Nick Andros.

Quote:
Comics comics comics
Hey Sven, where do you go to feed your comic habit?
Old 12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia View Post
Hey Sven, where do you go to feed your comic habit?
Normally just stop by Silver Snail (basically three blocks' from my grandmothers' place), but even then... I don't actually BUY that much stuff. My read list (soon to be reduced significantly due to DC cancellations) is basically Batman, Tec, Manhunter, Blue Beetle, JLA, JSA, Nightwing, Robin, and the two Fables titles (... so it'll drop by at least four titles in a couple of months - and the only reason I keep buying JLA is because of loyalty to McDuffie). And Final Crisis whenever it comes out, I guess. I need to get back on DD and I moved Cap to "trade-only" status... and, really, that's about it.

And half the time, I just grab issues off other comic-reading friends to flip through (I don't know if I actually PAID for any of Morrison's Batman run other than the last issue and the Club of Heroes arc). I have no collector's mentality at all (weird), so most of the stuff I buy usually gets donated to Sick Kids or United Way sales or the like. Which is good, since as an apartment-dweller I sure as hell don't have room for any junk.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Please spoil me. I bailed on SI after issue 3 and never looked back.

Wasp is dead, Skrulls are repelled, a bunch of Skrull-replaced people are back, the whole damn world is pissed at Tony and Norman Osbourne has replaced him as the government's leading superhero mucky muck. He disbands SHIELD and calls a meeting of what basically amounts to an evil version of the Illuminatti (sorta) with Emma Frost, Namor, the Hood, Dr. Doom, and Loki.

And Luke and Jessica's baby was taken by the Skrulls ;_;
Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM

You forgot to mention that Mockingbird, Hawkeye's wife, is back from the dead too.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I say thee neigh

yeah but she's been gone so long that it's like "what? why?" more than anything else
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
The Walking Dead #1 - I read this over lunch, I don't know how crazy I am about it. Is there a zombie comic that's less emo and more machismo?
The Walking Dead is so good because it's about characterization and not just mindless zombie slaughter. It's more about people and what happens to them, and how they deal with it. If you're looking for hoo-rah zombie slaughter, it's definitely not the book for you.

Can't say I've come across any other zombie comic worth reading though.

Just got back from the comic shop and read Secret Invasion #8 on the way home. Goddamn am I happy with how things turned out. I just hope Bendis can keep it up in Dark Reign.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
Just got back from the comic shop and read Secret Invasion #8 on the way home. Goddamn am I happy with how things turned out. I just hope Bendis can keep it up in Dark Reign.
Really? REALLY?

Really?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I say thee neigh

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
The Walking Dead is so good because it's about characterization and not just mindless zombie slaughter.
Yeah it's more about mindless survivor slaughter
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Yeah it's more about mindless survivor slaughter
Please don't make me think about the horrible shit that's happened in the past half-dozen issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
Really? REALLY?

Really?
Really!

I don't know, I liked it.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I like Starman.

This week I bought:

Justice Society of America #21: Awesome. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this arc.

That was my only comic this week. I also picked up my comics from last week:

Superman #682: I'm really enjoying New Krypton.

Justice Society of America: The Kingdom: Wholly awesome.

Thor: Man of War (one-shot): Meh.

My pull list as it currently stands: Justice League of America, Justice Society of America, Brave and the Bold, Superman, Supergirl, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Manhunter, Secret Six, Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam!, and Thor. I'm also buying most of the Final Crisis stuff. While it feels like a lot, Final Crisis is wrapping up along with its related minis, Manhunter is canceled, and Billy Batson and Thor come out once every 6 to 8 weeks.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Wait, JSA *still* isn't dome with the Gog arc? It feels like this thing started back in the single issues (never mind the specials, which I agree looked like they were very good). I'm honestly curious how they'll collect this - if the specials are included in a softcover, I'll probably pick that up.

But... c'mon, I want to get to the Black Adam story already.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Secret Invasion 8 is a fucking terrible non-ending. It ends way to conviently. A whole army of super heroes couldn't take out the queen but norman osborn can Oh some character no one gives a crap about is sacrifice and quickly forgotten. Oh and of course all the people the skrulls were impersonating are still alive and randomly appear back on earth. No need to make stories out of them actually being dead or heroes searching for them. What pisses me off the most is that the marvel universe shattering event the issue ends with had NOTHING to do with the event that just happended. We didn't need an 8 issue event comic for this event to occur, you could of had one issue of thunderbolts where Norman somehow rose to a higher power and it would of worked just as well. Fuck you Bendis, never write an event comic again. Never. I refuse to believe that such a terrible story was 5 years in the making.

Oh and I just now got that mocking bird and hawkeye= Black Canary and Green Arrow....is that sad?

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day