The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Love and Peace

You have to take into account that tying up almost twenty years of sprawling, rambling, 90s-monkey-cheese-humour in only a year and a half is a task that would be the bane of some of the best authors who have ever lived.

And to my knowledge, Sluggy Freelance is a fairly inoffensive and inert piece of 90s Internet that never quite faded away. If Abrams wants to keep it going in whatever way makes him happiest as a creator, I have no problem with that.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:36 PM

I for one am disappointed actually. Not strictly surprised, mind you, but disappointed. He seemed so sure that he could do it, and pushed it until, well, the near bitter end (it should have wrapped up this month).

Well, as I always say, he likes to eat. And finally seeing him (there was a video) he REALLY likes to eat. Most likely his plan for the future ran into the problem that not as many people wanted to pledge to the new project, and it just fell apart. Shame, I'd rather see him move on to something else. We'll see what happens, I guess, still annoying.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Sudden chomper

I honestly find it kind of reassuring that Sluggy is still chugging along. It's good to see something stable in this crazy world of ours.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Not a Beer

I honestly don't think there's anything more contrived going on behind the scenes than "whoops, can't actually manage to wrap up this story as soon as I thought I could", which isn't at all surprising. Sluggy has lots of threads vaguely plotted in advance, but when it comes to the actual writing Abrams has always been very much a "pantser" in author parlance (i.e., making detailed plans/outlines/drafts ahead of time vs. writing by the seat of your pants as you go).
Old 08-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I honestly don't think there's anything more contrived going on behind the scenes than "whoops, can't actually manage to wrap up this story as soon as I thought I could"
I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is. It's just more than literally everyone (except him, I guess) knew he wasn't going to meet this goal.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:35 PM

PvP has been great lately, Magnolia Porter's writing is the perfect complement to Kurtz's cartoony style.

And then on the other end we have Questionable Content. The latest arc with Winslow getting a body and May being angry over his "privilege" rubs me the wrong way. Yeah, it's a bit unfair that he just gets a body, but May is a convicted felon for fucks sake who is living the consequences of her actions. Why is no one calling her out for her bullshit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 03:52 PM
This way up

He's got a Rolls Royce of a chassis, doesn't he? Not just a body but an extremely pricey and plush one.

And with Faye about to embark on interspecies robot dating happiness, somebody in the strip's gotta be the mean one.

(If that plot development doesn't occur inside of six months I will buy a hat and eat it.)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 PM

I haven't read QC in a long while but I have to say I don't remember it being 100% about robots.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcalan View Post
And then on the other end we have Questionable Content. The latest arc with Winslow getting a body and May being angry over his "privilege" rubs me the wrong way. Yeah, it's a bit unfair that he just gets a body, but May is a convicted felon for fucks sake who is living the consequences of her actions. Why is no one calling her out for her bullshit?

May is working to pay off her proverbial debt to society and I don't think that automatically means she's not allowed to have feelings about the situation. We can talk about how it's kind of bullshit that sentient AIs are the stand in for whatever issue Jeph wants to talk about at the moment without addressing it head on but the redemptive part of the penal system is just as important as the punishment part and it's kind of fundamental to our justice system.

I'm not trying to put you on blast and I'm sorry if this feels that way, it's just kind of a thing for me.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:19 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

This current arc is probably the platonic ideal of a bad QC arc: a) robots b) as a stand in for whatever social issue Jeph is thinking about c) told in such a way that is awkward and clumsy. It's almost impressive, in a sense?

I agree that the message falls flat by centring it on May. May has been consistently characterized as rude, dismissive and envious, which makes her outburst at Winston come across less due to privilege, and more due to… well, her rude, dismissive and envious self. Her reaction feels entirely in-line with her normal behaviour, so the reactions (guilt, sympathy) don't feel earned.

Spitballing, but if Jeph had to tackle the issue of privilege through robots, it might have been better to use Momo instead. Momo isn't exactly in hard times, but her new chassis was something she had to work to pay off (or chose to, with the implication that it's not chump change for Marigold); and Momo's usual friendly self would actually make the outburst land.

But nah, the arc hinges on May because May is Jeph's current Weird Girl Muse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
He's got a Rolls Royce of a chassis, doesn't he? Not just a body but an extremely pricey and plush one.
It's not cheap, but it doesn't seem particularly luxurious. I mean, it's an off-the-shelf, uncustomized model that's not even the highest tier in its line.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:39 AM

Ah, and today's QC goes exactly where it needed to.

What got to me initially was May's "I can't have nice things, so you shouldn't either. Oh, and you should feel bad for having nice things."

Yes, Momo would have been a better choice but she's too nice and is genuinely happy for Winslow.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
This current arc is probably the platonic ideal of a bad QC arc: a) robots b) as a stand in for whatever social issue Jeph is thinking about c) told in such a way that is awkward and clumsy. It's almost impressive, in a sense?

I agree that the message falls flat by centring it on May. May has been consistently characterized as rude, dismissive and envious, which makes her outburst at Winston come across less due to privilege, and more due to… well, her rude, dismissive and envious self. Her reaction feels entirely in-line with her normal behaviour, so the reactions (guilt, sympathy) don't feel earned.

Spitballing, but if Jeph had to tackle the issue of privilege through robots, it might have been better to use Momo instead. Momo isn't exactly in hard times, but her new chassis was something she had to work to pay off (or chose to, with the implication that it's not chump change for Marigold); and Momo's usual friendly self would actually make the outburst land.

But nah, the arc hinges on May because May is Jeph's current Weird Girl Muse.
So he's just robbing Aaron Diaz's wheelhouse, then?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I thought Aaron Diaz's wheelhouse was tasteful transhuman nudes?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
So he's just robbing Aaron Diaz's wheelhouse, then?
Nah. Jeph actually switches up his chosen quirky girl every now and then, while Diaz has a singular obsession.

Jeph does have a perplexing fixation on robot/AI stories now, though.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

It's a much better approach to storytelling than listing bands spun-off from Arcade Fire
Old 08-23-2017, 12:45 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
It's a much better approach to storytelling than listing bands spun-off from Arcade Fire
Yeah, I mean, Broken Social Scene is where it's at
Old 08-25-2017, 05:53 AM
Mystery Contraption

Guys, Back is great;

I really like Back

Back is great
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 AM
is Earnest

Yeah, Back is super good.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:17 AM
It's all good, man

How's the SEO?
Old 08-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
How's the SEO?
Now I'm picturing old people Googling the word "back" to try and navigate back in their browsers.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:17 PM
oh my car

Default not to be confused with Goblins

The fact that Goblins Goblins doesn't annoy me despite the subject matter must mean it's really good.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:04 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
The fact that Goblins Goblins doesn't annoy me despite the subject matter must mean it's really good.
That's really good

Goblins was the weirdest damn thing, wasn't it?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:21 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I made it through five pages before I decided I was done.

I get why this exists and everything, but just going through pages upon pages upon pages of HOPE IS A LIE strikes me as more masochistic than anything else.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post

I get why this exists and everything, but just going through pages upon pages upon pages of HOPE IS A LIE strikes me as more masochistic than anything else.
I think the one day/one panel pace is ideal for this kind of work.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:37 AM
beech i told u

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post

It's not HOPE IS A LIE, it's "mental illness is real, and somehow we're still here, fighting it".
Old 08-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Is there not one thing

The goblins read very easily as marginalized people - and I bet that the Rorschach-like way you can interpret that marginalization is central to the concept.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 AM
beech i told u

Oh this is very true. Alot of those concepts go hand in hand.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

If I could +1 Like those posts I would because they are good posts.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

"My coping mechanisms would be adequate if our situation wasn't so bad" is such a beautiful line

Tags
comics , cucumber quest , die in obscurity , fear of crowdfunding , fear of new threads , horrible carrot noses , kc green suicide watch , lim-bo! , penny arcade , webcomics