The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 05-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quitely's pretty devisive. I like him in some things, but I wouldn't rank him in my top artists by any stretch.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:07 PM
poisonous thread snake

Like most artists he's suited to some things and not others. I understand the division over his work on X-Men but he was a great pick for Flex Mentallo and All-Star Superman.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:30 PM
The Blue Hat Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
BEHOLD:

I like Scott x Jean, but I'll be darned if that didn't get a chuckle out of me.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:33 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Like most artists he's suited to some things and not others. I understand the division over his work on X-Men but he was a great pick for Flex Mentallo and All-Star Superman.
Quitely's work on All-Star Superman is just terrific, as was Morrison's. It might be their most wholly successful collaboration. Having a more limited time to tell a story is a good thing for someone like Morrison.

Mr. LRLR recently got us the first few TPBs of Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers edition) and has been enjoying it hugely. I'll be taking a crack at it soon.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl makes me want to hug everyone involved with its creation.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Um.

How... how far into ANX have you read? Many people threw the book through a wall when we got to Battle of the Atom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Post-SW ANX has been better. Battle of the Atom was the start of the "too many crossovers" year or more of ANX (Black Vortex was much worse than BotA).
Unlimited hasn't gotten the post-SW ANX stuff yet, but I've read everything up to there.

Yeah, a lot of the cross-over stuff has been incredibly stupid. But I really liked the Cyclops and Jean stuff at the end - was that from Black Vortex? Basically deciding that despite having crushes on each other, they're really not very compatible. That was really neat, because in retrospect, Dicklops' total lack of respect for his partners, starting with his whole complex about his True Love Jean, was a big reason why he turned into a total jackass.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:12 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

A man walks into a bar and pauses; at the other end of the bar, there's this guy with a big orange head. Just kind of sitting there, mooning into his drink. So the man asks the bartender, "Say, what's up with the guy with the big orange head?" And the bartender says, "It's an interesting story. Buy him a drink and maybe he'll tell it to you."

So the man walks over and introduces himself and offers to buy a round. The guy with the big orange head says, "Yeah, I'll bet you want to know the story, huh?" To which the man replies, "Sure, if you don't mind."

The man with the big orange head sighs and says, "You know, I've gone over it in my mind a million times. Basically, it's like this: I was walking along the beach one day, when I stubbed my toe on something. I looked down, and there was an antique brass lamp. I picked it up and dusted it off a little -- when all of a sudden this enormous genie pops out!

"The genie thundered, 'You have released me from my ten-thousand year imprisonment, and I am in your debt. I will grant you three wishes as a token of my gratitude.'

The man at the bar is agape. The guy with the big orange head continues: "So I said, 'Wow, okay. Well, my first wish is to be fantastically wealthy.'

"The genie says, 'Your wish is granted.' And all of a sudden I have rings on my fingers and a crown on my head, and my wallet is full of money and a dozen ATM cards and the deed to a mansion in the hills -- I mean, I was loaded!

"So I said, 'Amazing! Okay, for my next wish , I want to be married to the most beautiful woman in the world.'

"The genie says, 'Your wish is granted.' And the ocean parts, and out walks this
gorgeous woman in this beautiful dress, and she takes my hand and we fall in love and the genie marries us right there. It was incredible.

"The genie booms, 'You have one wish remaining.'"

The man with the big orange head pauses and sips his beer. He says, "Now, you know, this may be where I went wrong. I wished for a big orange head."
Old 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM
The Blue Hat Returns!

I er, don't get how it relates?
Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Think Madhair mixed up his tabs and meant to post that in this thread.

To be fair, Marvel is my favourite joke, too.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:35 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Ah, so that's where that post went.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Mystery Contraption

I thought it was some kind of abstract joke about Aunt Petunias Favorite ever-lovin' nephew.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Personally, I think it's more of a rose/peach color.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Personally, I think it's more of a rose/peach color.

Most of him is orange.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post

Most of him is orange.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Terrible Runner Up for AMerican President
Old 05-25-2016, 06:35 AM
just ignore my posts

Okay so apparently THE FOLLOWING IS SUPER MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR STUPID CAPTAIN AMERICA STUFF

Steve Rogers is a Hydra spy now, and has been for a while.

Yeah that's fucking idiotic. Apparently the next issue of his new series will explain it or explain it more.

Man, between this and Civil War 2 it makes me wonder if Marvel's going back to bad old behavior.

Last edited by Moon Orbit; 05-25-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:46 AM
It's all good, man

Might be helpful to mention what it is you're spoiling so people know whether to look or not.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM
just ignore my posts

I suppose.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:04 AM
This Guy

I don't know, Captain America is a Hydra spy is pretty great, in a silly way, assuming they aren't dumb enough to have that turn out to actually be true.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Orbit View Post
Okay so apparently THE FOLLOWING IS SUPER MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR STUPID CAPTAIN AMERICA STUFF

Steve Rogers is a Hydra spy now, and has been for a while.

Yeah that's fucking idiotic. Apparently the next issue of his new series will explain it or explain it more.

Man, between this and Civil War 2 it makes me wonder if Marvel's going back to bad old behavior.
Meh, it's pretty obvious going by the flashbacks that the woman in Red is really just Red Skull messing with Steve's memories.

Meanwhile over in Spider-Man/Deadpool, DP killed Peter Parker, realized his mistake in that Peter is a Good Dude, and brings him back to life. On his way back, Mephisto shows up and tells Peter a secret...
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Inherently Stealthy

It's also been pretty obvious from even there start of the Sam Wilson stuff that there's something wrong with Steve
Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Find Your Reason

Nanomachines, mind-control, LMDs, Skrulls, Mystique (et al)... I dunno why people are getting upset at this --especially people screaming at Brubaker, who isn't even at Marvel anymore-- when it's a perfectly ordinary comic book storyline.

Now, the Mephisto stuff above? THAT sounds perfectly and legitimately groan-worthy.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 AM
It's all good, man

Big budget movies make new super heroes popular > new people try reading comic books starring those heroes
Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Big budget movies make new super heroes popular > new people try reading comic books starring those heroes
Yeah, the timing's questionable. But I feel like Marvel's been trying to get across that Sam Wilson is Captain America now. This... Could help that effort?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM
This Guy

You think the events in a comic titled Captain America: Steve Rogers is going to help cement the idea that Sam Wilson is Captain America?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
You think the events in a comic titled Captain America: Steve Rogers is going to help cement the idea that Sam Wilson is Captain America?
I think that having Steve Rogers clearly not be a paragon of unquestionable moral virtue may be intended to drive home that Marvel doesn't intend for Sam Wilson's Captain America career to be a temporary gig before he goes back to his Real Job as Steve Rogers' African-American Sidekick, Falcon.

I'm not expecting it to stick any more than "Hey what if Tony Stark was that Silicon Valley multibillionare who bankrolled an aging wrestler's frivolous defamation suit" stuck.

EDIT: Also, this makes a gag from the early new Iron Man run even funnier - Tony Stark whispers "Hail Hydra" to his new crush at the end of a long, heartfelt conversation, because he felt like he needed to check.

Last edited by Egarwaen; 05-25-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:16 AM
It's all good, man

I have no doubt the storyline will resolve with Steve's position as Captain America reaffirmed and solidified. That doesn't mean that Sam isn't more of the real Cap right now.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:37 AM
post-mystic lich princess

While it's a corny twist, a (hideously silly) piece of continuity held up over the past several years makes it extremely obvious what's happening: the Red Skull has had massive telepathic powers since stealing the dead Xavier's brain, and is the clear presented villain of the run in reforming HYDRA and what not. Tempting and twisting some American symbols is part and parcel here.

It's a bit much of a distraction from the cheesy anti-neoconservatism tracts the books want to make (see: the big business Serpent Society in the Sam Wilson book just a few months back), but comics are still comics.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I have no doubt the storyline will resolve with Steve's position as Captain America reaffirmed and solidified. That doesn't mean that Sam isn't more of the real Cap right now.
I guess we'll see. So far they've been pretty firm that their new heroes are intended to be long-term - Jane Foster is Thor, Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel, Sam Wilson is Captain America, Sam Alexander is Nova.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah well for two of those the original is dead and the other two they aren't.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:18 AM
This Guy

All I was saying is that whatever the long tern status of Sam Wilson is going to be, whether he stays Cap or goes back to Falcon, I don't see anything having another Captain America book staring Steve does that works to further Sam legitimacy.

While I am perfectly happy, if a little behind in my reading, with these stories I fully expect them to be temporary. Maybe not Nova or Captain Marvel, because I don't think the previous incarnations have many clamoring for their return, though I don't see enough people caring about this Nova for him to be a certain permanent change. But like the last time Thor was replaced, or Captain America, or Batman or etc, eventually the original will be back and the replacement will return to his or her original role. It doesn't effect my enjoyment of the stories as they are told.

Tags
excelsior! , marvel , super heroes