The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
They just need to keep working at it then.
Absolutely, and I'm glad to see so many voices in the community keeping Blizz's feet to the fire. They've shown willingness, now they can act on it.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 PM
le petite mort

Blizzard is totally getting better with their female character designs, Overwatch included. It's not perfect, but I'm excited for the progress.

Also I'm excited for the role switch-out after death. Yessssssssssss.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:07 PM

I'm gonna give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt here. They aren't opposed to creating unattractive female characters (see: female barbarian D3, or female dwarf WoW), but they do know for a fact that they aren't played as much as every other character in the game.

I'm sure Blizzard was pretty nervous about unveiling the first new intellectual property in 17 years, and didn't want to compromise the image of Overwatch for whatever reason. Not saying that a non-pretty woman is something I think would tarnish the image of the game, but if you don't think people would pick that shit apart, you need to pay more attention to Blizzard's target demographic.

I'm gonna say that a AAA company at least taking steps towards treating women with a bit of respect in their designs is progress.

I imagine we'll see some sort of female equivalent of the Gorilla/Reaper character eventually (maybe even before release), and perhaps the reason we don't already see one is purely for marketing reasons. I hope I'm right about that anyway.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:13 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

What kind of shooter do you guys play that doesn't let you switch roles when you die? That's in the meta game of every shooter on the market...isn't it?

Anyway, looking at the Overwatch website, they ripped off TF2 even more than I realized. But that's okay because they generally improved a lot of characters I liked. They took Medic, gave him a jetpack, both the Kritzkreig AND the regular healing gun, and a better pistol. How is that not awesome? I also like there are multiple support options for each general archetype. Orb Man can heal as well as Angel Girl. Blue Girl has different turrets than WoW Dwarf. Robot 2 IS a turret, sometimes. I also really like that some of the classes have flexibility within them. Purple Nude is a sniper, but she can also turn her gun into a rifle, which immediately eliminates the thing I have trouble with when playing a sniper. Sometimes you just need something for close range, and here you've got options and she has mobility skills too. Pretty much every character appeals to me in some way except Gorilla, and that's awesome.

I love the gameplay balance in and different abilities in TF2 but the actual game feels too loose for me. Playing against the computer is fun (MvM mode) but after a certain point I found the multiplayer frustrating. Some of the map design isn't very good either.

Which comes back to what I was saying yesterday; I think I'm hyped for this now that I've seen how it's improving on the skeleton of TF2, but I'm wary since it's Blizzard's first shooter and gamefeel in shooters is a huge thing for me. The maps could be good...but again, since it's Blizzard's first crack at a shooter, who knows? It seems like some of the abilities are overpowered too, but again, who can say?

Thankfully, Blizzard has a ton of experience in other genres at balancing multiplayer games, so like I said before if anyone can do this right on the first try it's them. But still, lots of questions that won't be answered until it comes out. It's Blizzard so I'll likely get it eventually anyway no matter what, but I think I'm more excited about it now.

Also, in regards to the character design, I think it is better. Perfect? No. Even some of the more modestly dressed women have skin tight boob armor. But overall I think it's better. I think that this game is one of the better examples is saying more about the industry than it is about this game.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:34 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
What kind of shooter do you guys play that doesn't let you switch roles when you die? That's in the meta game of every shooter on the market...isn't it?
I'm guessing people were expecting it to function like DOTA/HotS where you pick one character and you're locked into it for the whole match. You're right, though.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Oh okay, that makes sense. If you were locked in, it would be a nightmare...
Old 11-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
I'm gonna give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt here. They aren't opposed to creating unattractive female characters (see: female barbarian D3, or female dwarf WoW), but they do know for a fact that they aren't played as much as every other character in the game.
I get where you're coming from, but calling this an "unattractive character is kinda messed up. Same with this, really.

They aren't designed to prioritize an idealized model of beauty over all other possible concerns and thus totally impractical, as tends to be the case with women in games in general, but looking good is still a priority.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:28 PM
le petite mort

I'm positive he meant conventionally unattractive. So how about that Reaper?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 PM
EARTH FOREVER

I can't see a grim reaper with a shotgun as anything but really silly. Which is the point.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
I can't see a grim reaper with a shotgun as anything but really silly. Which is the point.
He's cheesy as shit and I want a second helping. Blizzard does ham really well in ways that most other companies only dream of.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
There's a gorilla.
I can't say no to an ape.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 PM

I've kinda softened my stance on this. It still feels really derivative of TF2. Other Blizzard games have felt more like their take on an existing genre (outside of their RTSes, because they kinda jumped in on that when it was in its more formative years) while this feels like it cribs a lot from TF2 without necessarily adding much, at least from the reveal/gameplay trailers. But I like the concept of mixing DOTA elements into a TF2 shooter, as long as it avoids the trap of character leveling or metagame Skinner box crap like leveling your account to unlock skill boosts and stuff. I can't think of any way to do a leveling system in a game like this and have it still be fun in a competitive MP setting.

And yeah, I'd like for them to make their ladies less sexy, plus I am kinda annoyed that the obvious healer archetype has to be a girl. But at least they put in a lot of women combatants and made several of the other archetypes (scout, soldier) women without trying too hard to make them anything but cool.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:55 AM

Reaper is the one that definitely has my interest, because I absolutely love dual wielding gun characters even if they happen to be sawed off shot-guns.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:02 AM

So has this been discussed yet?

I actually can totally see how this kind of modeling accident can happen. I assume they initially modeled her with the goggles on, and the corrections didn't propagate back to that version when they decided things were too exaggerated later, and they just failed to catch it before throwing demos together.

At least I really really hope that's what's going on here.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:10 AM
BLOODY HIGH CLAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Thankfully, Blizzard has a ton of experience in other genres at balancing multiplayer games, so like I said before if anyone can do this right on the first try it's them. But still, lots of questions that won't be answered until it comes out. It's Blizzard so I'll likely get it eventually anyway no matter what, but I think I'm more excited about it now.
I agree with this, but I doubt they will get it right on the first try. Blizzard will get it right though, that's what I love about the company. They will keep patching and balancing and listening to their players until it's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post

I actually can totally see how this kind of modeling accident can happen. I assume they initially modeled her with the goggles on, and the corrections didn't propagate back to that version when they decided things were too exaggerated later, and they just failed to catch it before throwing demos together.

Maybe she just has a bionic butt? Doesn't her story say she killed her husband while they were in bed? (Were they sleeping? Who knows?)
Old 11-10-2014, 01:27 AM

Are there official backstories and such for people? I've been too busy to poke around Blizzard's site and see if they're getting all lore-y yet.

Seriously though, it's an easy sort of mistake to make in my limited experience. I actually did pretty much the exact same thing trying to work out a universal humanoid model for something. Just replace the goggles with a mouth.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:29 AM
BLOODY HIGH CLAW!

Quote:
Are there official backstories and such for people? I've been too busy to poke around Blizzard's site and see if they're getting all lore-y yet.

Seriously though, it's an easy sort of mistake to make in my limited experience. I actually did pretty much the exact same thing trying to work out a universal humanoid model for something. Just replace the goggles with a mouth.
Oh yeah, stories and videos and all kinds of stuff, playoverwatch.com.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:

It's 100% an error, per the modelers who have commented on inflate-a-butt
Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:

Wait what is OHHHHHHH
Old 11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
EARTH FOREVER

EXPAND ASS
Old 11-10-2014, 01:45 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
EXPAND ASS
ANACONDA MODE: engage
Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
It's 100% an error, per the modelers who have commented on inflate-a-butt
Knowing Blizzard, it'll end up referenced in a taunt animation or dialogue.

"Stop staring at my arsenal."
Old 03-06-2015, 08:52 AM
King Of Space-Time

Zarya

Old 03-06-2015, 08:56 AM
forbidden noise

whoaa
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 AM
I. Love. It.

Really happy to see that character. The ladies of Overwatch all had really samey builds up until now, Zarya looks really kickass.

Some folks have been speculating (probably reaching) that she's a nod to Zoe Quinn, in that she's a lady hero who has dyed hair and whose name starts with Z.

No doubt reaching, but man, part of me wants to believe that to be true.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Smart move.

A good response to criticism.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 AM
King Of Space-Time

Reminds me of a bulkier Pink, personally.

Also! Cue Heavy/Zarya shipping in 5, 4, 3...
Old 03-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Inherently Stealthy

That's awesome.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:25 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
whoaa
I'll see your whoaa and raise you a !!!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Crabjörn

Also there's a cowboy I guess.

Tags
blizzard , blizzard money printer , fantastic butts , hot moms n dads , lgbteam fortress , overwatch