The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Default That Wizard Came From the Moon!: Talking 'Bout DESTINY

so thanks to the kindness of Willm, I got a beta key for Destiny and checked it out last night on my PS4. I am emphatically NOT a Shootmans fan normally - I am so FPS impaired normally that I died on the tutorial level of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

But this? This is a lot of fun so far. Bungie gave Sony feedback on the design of the PS4 controller and it shows; playing Destiny on the PS4 felt way more natural then any of the FPS games I've tried on PS3. The visuals and music are really lovely; Bungie has artists on staff with a really gorgeous color sense. and I'm a sucker for a good Dying Earth setting, which this has in spades.

When I first got a gun that the game wouldn't let me use until Level 3, I said "shit," out loud, because I knew the game was getting its hooks into me. It looks like the rabbit hole's gonna go pretty deep on this one.

Is anyone else doing the beta? Thoughts?

oh, and the thread title comes from Peter Dinklage's worst line reading ever:

they appear to have been tightening up Dinklage's voiceover and making his AI character sound more like an AI, so it didn't strike me as bad while I was playing.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 AM
Objection!

I'm a bit interested in the game. I know a few friends that are planning to get it, so I'll probably play it with them.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

I'm really enjoying the beta. Looks and feels great on PS4. I still want to know a little bit more about the amount of content and structure before I fully commit to a purchase, but I'm definitely leaning in the direction of picking up the full game when it comes out.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM
meaningless [C]ode

I haven't played the beta, but from what I've read this sounds similar to Borderlands. Can anybody confirm/deny that comparison?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 AM
TARANTUL

Wait, wait, wait.

I can be a moon wizard?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno500 View Post
I haven't played the beta, but from what I've read this sounds similar to Borderlands. Can anybody confirm/deny that comparison?
Halo gameplay with Borderlands mission structure and Mass Effect's hub city.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

It's like Borderlands if Claptrap was terribly unenthusiastic and the Bandits and Skags all looked like Turians and Husks.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 AM
is Earnest

This sounds like a game I'll really like. Can anyone comment on how MMO like it is? I've heard that multiplayer stuff isn't 100% necessary, but is the rest of the structure similar to an MMO?

I'm leaning towards buying a PS4 along with this and The Last of Us in the fall.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
This sounds like a game I'll really like. Can anyone comment on how MMO like it is? I've heard that multiplayer stuff isn't 100% necessary, but is the rest of the structure similar to an MMO?

I'm leaning towards buying a PS4 along with this and The Last of Us in the fall.
The multiplayer is a combination of Borderlands and Dead Island. What this means is that zones are all instanced, and you could find yourself randomly entering another player(s)'s instance, or them yours, based on proximity and mission. Also, there's battles that are intended to be done in a group.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

From what I can tell, there's a social hub where everybody runs around and dances at each other with merchants and stuff. Then when you go to an area for a mission there will be other players (who selected the same mission?) running around the world. But when you get to the main meat of a mission you go into a "darkness zone" that's basically an instance where no one else will show up unless you want them too. There are some (non-story) missions that can only be done with a group. Then there's PvP that's pretty much Halo multiplayer.

I haven't played a lot of MMOs, so I can't really compare it, but I believe that's how all the multiplayer stuff breaks down
Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

So what is the Moon Wizard line supposed to be? I'm intrigued.

I have a 360 so my beta period hasn't started yet, but I am very excited.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
So what is the Moon Wizard line supposed to be? I'm intrigued.
Basically, one of the factions in the game has it's base on the moon, and wizards are just a class name.

So your AI is just saying that the elite enemy soldier you're fighting came from the moon, when you're not supposed to be encountering anyone from there.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
When I first got a gun that the game wouldn't let me use until Level 3, I said "shit," out loud, because I knew the game was getting its hooks into me. It looks like the rabbit hole's gonna go pretty deep on this one.
This. This, right here.

I've been excited about this game ever since I heard about it. Especially since I played Halo 4 and, despite being very happy with it overall, missed what I can only call "the Bungie Touch". I'm not exactly sure what it is. Part of it, I think, is how they handle their mythology or "lore" for their story, keeping things mysterious yet still interesting (to me, anyway).

I dropped into the beta for the first time earlier today, for about an hour or so (just got the warp drive that lets me go trotting around the solar system), and I'm already loving it. I picked a Titan, because I am a very boring person who likes to shoot aliens in the face and make things explode with big guns. The controls are smooth and responsive, the weapons are fun to use, and the leveling system seems interesting so far.

In terms of control, it's very similar to Halo 4, except the left trigger aims down the sight of your weapon instead of throwing grenades. Ammo seems to be split into two basic types: standard and special, which makes keeping yourself supplied easy and relatively stress-free, though I've been in at least one encounter so far that had me running low. Abilities other than running and shooting seem to be unlocked as you level up, and different weapons and armor require you to be at least a certain level before you can use them. I unlocked flash grenades at level 2; these have a cool-down period after each use, which I assume can be lessened with further leveling. Level 3 granted me what I think is a double-jump, but I'm not sure since I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. And also access to at least one new gun.

I don't know how true this is of the later game, but it seems like most of the game's areas are pretty wide open so far. It's always been pretty clear where I needed to go so far, but there's a bit of poking around in the periphery that can be done. Like I said, maybe it's just early in the game, but I don't feel like I'm being shunted anywhere, and that's a godsend, right there.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Also, I'm pretty sure they removed the Moon Wizard line from the game post-alpha.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:56 AM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It's like Borderlands if Claptrap was terribly unenthusiastic and the Bandits and Skags all looked like Turians and Husks.
Thank you, Feng Zhu School of Design, for making all modern scifi movies and video games look exactly the goddamn same
Old 07-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Aaaaah I just got my code! It wasn't supposed to be until 10am tomorrow! Redeemed and downloading now!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Thank you, Feng Zhu School of Design, for making all modern scifi movies and video games look exactly the goddamn same
Eh, people were ripping on Feng Zhu's style (or art directors have been telling their artists to do so) well before he started his school. He's been a big name since Star Wars Episode II.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

I'm a fan of teh Haloz but I've never been one of those people that thought Bungie could do no wrong, so I was cautiously optimistic about this. I have to say that I am very pleasantly surprised by this game. The loot cravings set in pretty quick after I got my first piece of green gear, the shooting is as solid as ever, and being a Titan I can shotgun/beat down Master Chief style.

The story does seem fairly generic so far but generally in MMOs I just ignore any story/lore and go try and get better gear.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM
To the Max

So despite having spent all weekend moving into a new place and the maintenance downtime, I've managed to put in over 10 hours into the beta, all while knowing that my progress will be wiped away in a week. I guess that means I like Destiny!

Mechanically it's as solid as I hoped, and like UUDD said, the PS4 controller is so much better than the PS3 controller for this kind of game, and I like it even more than the 360 controller. It's definitely a game from the House that Built Halo but it has borrowed some things from more modern shooters while still maintaining it's unique feel.

I really like how open the missions are, both the set storyline missions and the random quests in the Free Roam mode. Kat wrote an article for USGamer that described how the game often uses its multiplayer capabilities to supplement the single player experience similar to Dark Souls, and I have to agree. There's something awesome about stumbling upon a couple other people who are doing their own thing and then briefly joining forces during one of Destiny's random "events" to get rare drops. One time a giant spider bot thing randomly appeared and I spent 20+ minutes fighting it off with two strangers which was pretty great.

Of course, after we killed the thing we had a dance off.

The only thing I don't love so far is the PVP multiplayer, but that's probably because I've been frustratingly inconsistent. I've always been a good Halo player so I was expecting to be good here too, but I'm lucky if I can get my K/D ratio over 1.0. Maybe I shouldn't have picked a Hunter...their special attack requires pinpoint accuracy and I'm not sure if I have the twitch reflexes anymore!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Suspected Atarian

I am digging the little bit I played on PS3 now that they opened it up to just about anyone...

I didn't get too far, since it took awhile to download and install, but I liked what I saw, even if it seems a prettier variation on HALO.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 AM
Out Of Warranty

The game is gorgeous.

That said, I don't know if I get it. I'm having fun, mind you, and yes, fighting mobs with random strangers that are not telling me to suck anything is fun. But I don't get it why I should purchase this shooter come release day, particularly since all the quests I've done so far feel like a retread of the same levels again and again, just with more mobs. I had more fun with Borderlands, even though Destiny's setup and characters resonate more with me than Borderlands ever did.

Granted, I'm only Level 4, but I'd assume the game would frontload the good stuff to hook up newcomers like me. Maybe this game isn't for me? Also, using a mouse cursor interface in the menu screens in a console sucks big time. >_<

Also, either the game is set to Easy difficulty for the beta or for the first levels or I'm a better player than I realized (haha). I haven't died once, even in situations where I was sure I was done for.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

I played some more this weekend! Sadly I missed the window for the Moon mission, I heard that the design there was really neat.

I definitely want to get the game now; I'm just trying to decide if I need to be playing it in early September, or if I can wait 'til Xmas. (PS4 version of Diablo III drops in late August and Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor comes out on 9/30. the question is if DIII will hold my attention enough until the end of September.)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

I liked the beta enough that I preordered it and immediately stopped it. I shudder to think of my burning out on a game BEFORE it's released.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I didn't get to play nearly enough due to being out of town but I am hyped for this!

I'd already ordered it on 360 but since we're likely to get a One this holiday season I'm debating which system I want it for. I doubt I'd be able to transfer my saves across systems, unless it's tied to your Live account instead? Anyone know?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Objection!

As Destiny is an MMO, it's actually saved to the server and transferable. Bungie is just being weirdly coy about the matter.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
As Destiny is an MMO, it's actually saved to the server and transferable. Bungie is just being weirdly coy about the matter.
Sweet! Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I loved playing the beta--the game is gorgeous and just plain fun. Can't wait to pick it up in September. This is a rare one I probably will get close to release time.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I haven't pre-ordered a non-Ys game in ages, and those I pre-order more out of some odd sense of wanting to support the franchise (more specifically, supporting entries in the franchise being available commercially in the U.S., as opposed to paying through the nose to buy them from Japan, with English patch releases subject to the whims of a petty tyrant). But damn it if I'm not counting down to September 9th, now. I even sprung for the Ghost Box, mainly because I've been impressed with some of the material Bungie's put together for various past games, but... $150 was a bit too much, even for me with my extremely lopsided sense of financial priorities.

Still, pretty stoked about this. And honestly, the progress of leveling a new character back up to Level 8 if they do decide beta progress gets wiped doesn't really bother me at all.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
with English patch releases subject to the whims of a petty tyrant).
Whoooooa, there's a story there.

Tags
uudd is all for aaa