The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
HERE IS ME AND MY FRIEND

Kind of interesting how in the kids' session, it was Jack's vanity that lead to him snapping and finally ursurping the Queen while in the troll's session, it was the Queen's vanity that was her weakness.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:57 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
They usually have some of the funniest parts of the story buried in them.
Key word.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:09 PM
HERE IS ME AND MY FRIEND

So I was pestering one of my chums, when he came up with this awesome theory about Lord English, specifically, his identity.

In pool, who does the cue ball "serve"? The dude with the cue. The player. ... but you're the player! YOU ARE LORD ENGLISH.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Bug/Flying

Hrm... I can't help but wonder what role Bilious Slick has in all of this. On the one hand, the frog temple is where Sollux and Aradia unearthed the information to create Sgrub, as well as (presumably) the makers of Sburb, meaning that he has some hand in the game the kids are all playing. But on the other hand the Dersites outright disgust for the frogs (as well as Becquerel's guarding of the temple itself) makes it seem much more dangerous than thus far shown. I'm guessing that Bilious Slick is related to Lrd English somehow, possibly as an equal? Maybe someone in opposition? Or just a red herring? Guess we'll find out later on, my guess being once Jade gets to work on entering the medium.

Also: Oh, hey there Doc Scratch. We were wondering where you went.

Last edited by PapillonReel; 07-29-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
oh my car

Oh, so that's why the frog temple is a crime scene.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Clearly Lord English and Bilious Slick are just pseudonyms adopted by Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff

I WARNED YOU ABOUT ESCHER BRO

I TOLD YOU DAWG
Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Bug/Flying

Well damn. I sorta expected the two teams to link together at some point, but forming the mobius caught me a little off guard. I'm pretty sure every character arc so far's been wrapped up at this point, so I'm guessing with that we're just about done the troll's arc - all that's left is to introduce the last three characters, show their fight with the Black King and start delving into the rift and how it's going to kill them all. Then again, there's no telling what else might come up I suppose...

Also: Gotta like the nice touch with Karkat alchemizing his sickle with Jack's regisword. Terezi's dragon cane is pretty awesome too.

EDIT: Oh hey, what's this thing.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 PM

I don't know how many people have already noticed this, but Jade's dog, Bec, is the kids' version of Doc Scratch.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Oh, so that's why the frog temple is a crime scene.
Wait, why is the frog temple a crime scene?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
Wait, why is the frog temple a crime scene?
The Dersites hate Bilious Slick (billiards stick?) and his ilk, so much so that any depictions and idols of him are banned while inside Derse's borders. Ergo, the frog temple is breaking the law.

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed: the frog temple's design is a model for the incipisphere, isn't it? Hence the four towers for each of the kids lands, as well as the two small ones beside the temple (Prospit) and furthest away (Derse)... With the frog in the middle, that means that Bilious Slick might be part of Skaia itself holy craaaaaaaap

EDIT 2: Hey cool, GA has a name now.

Last edited by PapillonReel; 07-31-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Set phasers to hug

I must say, looking over this thread makes me very reluctant to read MSPA. It is... scary, in a similar way to how Dwarf Fortress is scary.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 PM
out of how many points?

I started reading Homestuck shortly after this thread was first posted and as of this afternoon have caught up. Damn, this is a tremendously fun webcomic/multimedia-thing.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 PM
ribbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
I must say, looking over this thread makes me very reluctant to read MSPA. It is... scary, in a similar way to how Dwarf Fortress is scary.
Start with Problem Sleuth; it's shorter and less convoluted.

Last edited by Walliard; 07-31-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I keep hearing that the troll chatlogs are amazingly high on hilarity, but honestly the "troll" way they type makes it almost unreadable. So my high-speed rush through the archives has sort of lost steam.

Also, I really doubt any of the conversations could possibly be more hilarious than Dave's "Welcome to Nam" speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walliard View Post
That's like saying painting the mona lisa on the head of a pin is easier than painting the last supper on the head of a pin.

It might be true but it barely matters.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:14 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
Also, I really doubt any of the conversations could possibly be more hilarious than Dave's "Welcome to Nam" speech.
None of them are, but did you really expect anything to be funnier than that?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 PM

No, I honestly didn't.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
I keep hearing that the troll chatlogs are amazingly high on hilarity, but honestly the "troll" way they type makes it almost unreadable. So my high-speed rush through the archives has sort of lost steam.
Yeah, that's the big problem of the troll convos as a whole; they're not nearly as easy to break into as the chats between the other kids because of the "quirks" used (especially when they start getting more complex and, uh, idiotic). This should help mitigate things somewhat, however.

EDIT: I doubt anything's going to match that one though. I forgot just how viciously Dave counter-trolls AT at the time. D:
Old 07-31-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walliard View Post
I actually find Problem Sleuth more convoluted. Homestuck is complex, but Problem Sleuth just didn't make sense at points.

...Also the final boss takes more than half of the entire story.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Sollux is the only one I have trouble reading, really. I wonder what the last two unrevealed trolls will be like in that regard... we haven't even seen a hint of their dialogue so far, even in the main story.
Rumour mill is that CA is going to be an eco-freak while CC's gonna channel Jade's silliness, but so far there's nothing really concrete otherwise (outside of their teasers, of course). Pisces is pestering Kanaya right now though, so maybe we'll get our first peak at them sometime tomorrow today.

On another note, Andrew's answering some more questions.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM
redheads not warheads

A new Chum has appeared! Command?

bosonicExploit

EDIT:

A favorite of mine from the Q and A:

Quote:
Q: I am hopelessly addicted to your comic, and like all junkies, Im beginning to require larger doses of it to keep me satisfied. Would you be terribly miffed if I just cut out the middleman and skipped to eating your brain?

A: I think a lot of people are in your shoes and it's probably kind of irresponsible of me to produce something that lends itself addiction through such erratic daily updates.

But then I look through a lot of these questions and I wonder... do these people even understand what they're obsessed with?? This doesn't make sense!

Nothing makes sense. I'm going to drive all you people insane, and you won't even understand what's happening to you. We're all going down together.

Sayonara motherfuckers.

Last edited by Ruik; 08-01-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
An Animal of Joy

I spent several, several hours reading all of Problem Sleuth on friday. It was really fun. I think I only laughed exactly 2 times, but I was smiling all the way.

It left me with serious doubts about how much the audience had to do with it though, but that's probably because it was all sitting there in finished form.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM
utada hikaru

Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
An Animal of Joy

I started homestuck, but it didn't hook me immediately like problem sleuth. I might give it another chance, or just wait a while. I might just be fatigued?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Infinity Squared!

I had a similar experience with Homestuck myself - it's not really as immediately catchy as Problem Sleuth. I binged Problem Sleuth over less than a week's period around the end of last year, but didn't really start delving into Homestuck until earlier this year. So it might be a bit of fatigue...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I started homestuck, but it didn't hook me immediately like problem sleuth. I might give it another chance, or just wait a while. I might just be fatigued?
The thing about Homestuck also is that it takes a little while to get started with the meat of the story (Andrew's gone on record that he did so deliberately, in order to ease readers into the new stuff), so you pretty much have to stick with it 'til the end of Act 1 before things pick up.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Bug/Flying

Huh, CA's just been revealed in the latest chatlog. Also: he's a bit of an asshole! Not much of a surprise considering he's got Caligula in the name, but still. Figures, the one guy who had to be my zodiac troll... Gotta suck to be stuck in the moirail zone, though. :/

Anyway, nice to have some more concrete info on whatever the hell troll friendships are. Kanaya and Vriska: BFFs?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonReel View Post
Huh, CA's just been revealed in the latest chatlog. Also: he's a bit of an asshole! Not much of a surprise considering he's got Caligula in the name, but still. Figures, the one guy who had to be my zodiac troll...
This describes every troll's first appearance, and they're all generally likable.

I'm more amused by Kanaya being a Twilight fan, especially since /co/ felt that a Twilight troll would be the next logical step after an ICP troll.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
This describes every troll's first appearance, and they're all generally likable except Vriska
Old 08-03-2010, 07:51 AM

I like Vriska.

I hated her at first, but she grew on me.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Are You Sure About That?

So wait, the trollkunds are from the future?

Tags
andrew hussie , deudly firearms , doujinshi man gaka , fish puns , homestuck , horses , let me tell you , mspa , phernalia registry , problem sloth , problem sluth , webcomics , where doing it man , where making this hapen