The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 AM

For the life of me, I could not figure out how to beat Artorias without a big shield. It was one of those situations where I had to completely change out of the gear I had so carefully chosen for my build, and put on a random collection of gear for that one particular fight.

Maybe this is just one of those Dark Souls moments.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:02 AM
is Earnest

The way to beat him without a shield is: be really fast. I think the first time I beat him I was using a build with a shield, but I ended up finding it easier to dodge all of his attacks.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The way to beat him without a shield is: be really fast. I think the first time I beat him I was using a build with a shield, but I ended up finding it easier to dodge all of his attacks.
Did you roll to dodge the attacks, or do a kind of bait and backstep? I found him so relentless, he could track me and hit me right at the end of my roll.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:18 AM
is Earnest

Rolled to dodge the attacks.

You might be rolling in the wrong direction. It sounds dumb, but switching up whether you're rolling toward the attack, to the side, back, etc can make a huge difference. I can't remember specific Artorias strategies, but lots of bosses throughout the series become easier when you figure out the best direction to roll for specific attacks.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:19 AM

You can roll dodge his attacks, but yea I'd agree it is noticeably harder than most bosses. I feel like his heavy thrust and his big leap (where the camera pans up) have tighter timing. His dash attack that does a 720 degree sword spin requires waiting a moment for the actual swipe to come at you rather than the dash move itself.

Also, my hunch/observation is that you really want to stick to a back roll (or forward roll, if you are being ambitious) for that last dashing-720 move, and you really want to stick to a side roll for almost all his other moves. Don't use the wrong one even if it might work anyway. (ninja'd by Patrick)

The only move I'd try to strafe/backstep dodge without rolling is his "normal" attack where he does a 360 spin.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

So here's my list updated with the DLC bosses and the two extras:

26) Demon Firesage BoC is a worse design, but at least it was memorable. Firesage was the most by-the-numbers boss in the game, although if I'd never fought the Stray Demon I might have felt differently. Anyways, Firesage is the worst boss in Dark Souls because it is a boring boss with no reason to exist.

25) Bed of Chaos Does this even qualify as a boss? Cheap stupid bullshit. Somewhere there is someone that thinks Bed of Chaos is the best boss in the game. If you ever meet that person, please get them to a padded cell quickly, for their own safety and yours. It's too bad it's such crap, too, because its visual design and music are both great.

24) Ceaseless Discharge Another boring boss. Either gamble with its giant hitbox, or reenact a lame version of Fellowship of the Ring where Gandalf pokes the Balrog in the hand a couple of times and it falls off the bridge pathetically.

23) Crossbreed Priscilla It probably didn't help that I was massively overleveled when I fought her. The invisibility aspect is a nice touch, but she was much too easy.

22) Taurus Demon It's remarkable in that it's the second boss you fight, I guess, but looking back there's not really much to it. All the mechanics are done better elsewhere, and it's sandwiched between the first boss and one of the most memorable.

21) Centipede Demon All the bosses in the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith leg of the quest kind of suck, but at least the CD gives you a somewhat interesting fight, even if its hitboxes are clownshoes.

20) Asylum Demon We're past the lame-o bosses now. Asylum's the first boss you fight, and is memorable just for that, but the progression from helpless and running away to SWORD TO THE FAAAACE gives you a good hint of how the rest of the game is going to go.

19) Iron Golem Iron Golem is about middle of the road for the game. Some neat stuff, but nothing incredibly special. It is kind of cool taking out his leg then pounding away, but the fact that he can grab you when you're behind him and his hand is moving forward is one of the dumbest glitches.

18) Seath the Scaleless It's either frustrating nonsense or easy-peasy, there is no real middle ground. The boss design isn't the most impressive, either. Points for cool attacks and music, though.

17) Capra Demon Yes, he can be frustrating, but once you kill those damn dogs (why are cat and dog enemies the absolute worst in DS?), he becomes pretty fun to fight. Plus those swords are badass.

16) Gaping Dragon I give this guy points for design alone. The battle itself is pretty easy: stand to the back, whack away until he leans back, run, lather, rinse, repeat. But he looks cool and the huge arena actually adds to the epic feel of the fight.

15) Stray Demon The best of the Fatass Demon trio, but it's too frustrating to rank any higher. If only the AoE BS were toned down even a bit, it would be a better fight.

14) Moonlight Butterfly Gorgeous music and visuals, and one of those fights that's frustrating until you get it down. Can a boss battle be low-key and intense at the same time? Here's your proof.

13) Four Kings Both the dumbest and one of the most exciting fights in the game. There's something refreshing about a fight that's all about how fast you can swing your sword.

12) Pinwheel This fight wouldn't be half what it is without the aesthetics. The "which one is real one" fight has been done to death, but the arena, boss design, music and sound effects make it a very memorable fight, even if it is rather short.

11) Dark Sun Gwyndolin I originally liked this better than Artorias, but the more I've thought about that fight, the more I admire the execution. But Gwyndolin is still aces, with its mandatory strafing.

10) Knight Artorias This is a manic fight for sure. You're constantly having to pace your attacks in a way you don't with anyone but Gwyn and O&S in the main game. Still, while he was varied, it felt like I was just going through the motions. Don't blame the Artorias Shield, either, because the first couple of times I didn't use it, and I wouldn't have except I wanted to get it over with. Two other contributing factors to my being less enthralled than most with this fight were probably A: The Royal Wood was my least favorite are in the game, and it was so annoying that it affected my view of the boss fight. Kind of like how my frustration with the 16th Colossus affected my enjoyment of Shadow of the Colossus's ending. B: The fight had been so hyped up through this thread that it was bound to be underwhelming, I think.

9) Sanctuary Guardian This was a great introduction to the DLC. And definitely a great schooling for people like me who rely a lot on the shield. You have to roll with SG.

8) Manus, Father of the Abyss Even with the GSoA this fight is nuts. Constantly trying to get an angle, his fast movements. And with puppy Sif joining you, this was an amazing battle.

7) Great Grey Wolf Sif We're at the cream of the crop now. Fighting Sif is pretty simple, but the combination of limping puppy and funeral dirge music make for the most wrenching moment in the whole game.

6) Chaos Witch Quelaag If you wanted to give a newbie a distilled sample of the DS Boss experience, Quelaag would be my choice. The aesthetics and the combat both represent the game's style perfectly. Plus that intro: "Oh crap look at that giant spid... wat? Bewbs?"

5) Gravelord Nito Nito was the last of the Lordsoul bosses I fought. It's frenetic yet forgiving. Trying to keep track of all the skelemans while you wale away on Nito in a dark, creepy cave is the perfect penultimate boss experience.

4) Bell Gargoyles The Gargoyles are the true "Welcome to Dark Souls" moment. As I said upthread, I died to them more than any other boss. At this point you're still green, your equipment probably sucks, and they are fast and mean, and eventually there's two of them. They are perfect for wrecking n00b's shit. Beating them was pretty thrilling. Plus the music is awesome, creepy bombast.

3) Black Dragon Kalameet My personal favorite of the DLC, and one of my fave fights in the game. Like O&S, you have to use everything you've learned. And while you can shield most of Kalameet's attacks, if you don't learn to recognize the psionic wave and roll yourself out of there, you are screwed. Great fight.

2) Gwyn, Lord of Cinder Others would probably have him lower, but having an end boss that begs for using my favorite mechanic in the game sold me by itself. Add the subdued piano and the apocalyptic atmosphere, and you've got a great fight.

1) Dragonslayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough Could it be anyone else? I usually don't whoop and holler when I beat a boss, but I did for them. One of the most epic fights in the history of video games.

Although if I were to redo this list entirely Pinwheel would be a lot lower and Centipede Demon would probably rate as the worst boss. Seriously, fuck every Centipede Demons.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:55 AM
Dinger!

I never ended up finishing Dark Souls (maybe I'll get the PC version someday and do it) but Great Grey Wolf Sif has to be one of the best bosses I've ever encountered in a video game. There's nothing better than a giant wolf with a sword in it's mouth. Plus, the fight is really engaging and I found that the way it telegraphed its attacks was the best of all the bosses I encountered.

I think the Gargoyles were the most satisfying to beat though. I must have died to them a hundred times.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 AM
We just don't know.

There's something even better about Sif.

If you go through the DLC area and save Sif then summon her for the Manus fight before fighting her in the present day, the intro to her boss battle changes. Instead of growling and threatening, she knocks you down and sniffs you, then gives this sad howl before picking up the sword and doing her duty. PREPARE TO CRY.

Boss-wise, finally nailing O&S solo was probably the most intense and satisfying feeling. My first kills of Artorias and Manus were up there too. Oh wait! The biggest moment of "No, fuck YOU!!" was Capra demon.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Video Monster

I posted about this in the griping thread too, but it's been on my mind a lot lately, so. I've been beating my head against Dark Souls for more than a year at this point and I'm not sure if I want to abandon it or keep playing. I don't think I'm enjoying myself. I'm at level 34 and the last thing I did was beat the Gaping Dragon.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:09 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

That's a pretty decent amount into the game. I think that, if you're not enjoying yourself now, then you probably won't ever enjoy it ever (and certainly not when your next area is Blighttown, one of the most annoying sections in an initial playthrough).

Though, I think you may have-- unintentionally-- given yourself a bit of a harder time by taking breaks and stretching your playthrough over a long time. I know that when I did that, and picked the game back up after some months, I had completely lost the rhythm and flow of the game and had to spend a bit of time re-learning it. So, if you wanted to give it another shot, I'd actually suggest putting it down for a few months and then starting a brand new file.

But don't feel like I'm saying you have do that! It sounds like you've given it an honest try and it's just not clicking, which is fine.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

So before I just skimmed From the Dark but this time I'm actually watching the whole thing. Besides all the great lore stuff, it also contains one of the funniest deaths ever.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

More From the Dark. I never got the Old Witch's Ring, so I could never communicate with the Fair Lady. Finding out that Quelaag was killing people in order to get Humanity to heal her dying sister is kind of a gutpunch, but I also love how it fleshes out a boss you otherwise wouldn't think twice about after beating her.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:10 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
More From the Dark. I never got the Old Witch's Ring, so I could never communicate with the Fair Lady. Finding out that Quelaag was killing people in order to get Humanity to heal her dying sister is kind of a gutpunch, but I also love how it fleshes out a boss you otherwise wouldn't think twice about after beating her.
It says a lot about you that you don't have a character dedicated to getting Humanity for her the way I do.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
It says a lot about you that you don't have a character dedicated to getting Humanity for her the way I do.
I've only played through the game twice.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:25 AM

I thought I'd share this 10 things you didn't know about Dark Souls video, by UrbanOrb.

Whenever I see a new one of these I expect to already know them or know a lot about them, but this time almost all were new to me. Overall this video is not so different than all such videos, but I thought number 2 was cavernously deep bit of knowledge, and somehow number 1 was even cooler.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Old 09-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Praise the Sun!

Tags
crutches , dark as balls , dark souls , from software , hell of dark , hold with both hands , praise the sun , secret best zelda , this is my drill , you defeated , you died